X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VHscraps
    Veteran
    • Jul 2009

Interview: 'Surprised Kool & the Gang is Van Halen Opener? So Are They'

Interesting little article at Billboard on how Kool & the Gang got the gig - Dave, who else, engineered it. Dave been hanging out at Glastonbury as well ...

Kool & the Gang plan to celebrate plenty of good times on the road with Van Halen in the coming weeks -- even if the rest of the world seems to think it's an incredibly odd pairing.

"We're not that worried about it," co-founder Robert "Kool" Bell tells Billboard.com. "We had big hits in the 80s, and so did they. They've been kind of like a party band on the rock side, with their audience, and their audience is 60 percent female and we have songs like 'Ladies' Night' and 'Celebration'... and our audience is at least 80 percent a pop audience. Most of the time we have a crowd that's 80 percent white. Plus we do a lot of international dates with Def Leppard, Meat Loaf, Uriah Heep, Chicago, Elton John...A lot of people don't know that 'cause they don't really see it.

"So I think we'll survive."

Bell says having Kool & the Gang open for Van Halen's North American tour -- kicking off Jan. 18 in Louisville -- was frontman David Lee Roth's idea. Roth saw Kool and company perform at the 2011 Glastonbury festival and enjoyed it so much that he lobbied the band onto the bill. "I was kind of surprised," Bell admits, "because Van Halen is more on the rock side and we do what we do. I said, 'That's an interesting combination...' It really caught us by surprise. But the more people I mention it to, the more interesting they're saying it is."

Kool & the Gang will play a 50-minute set before each Van Halen show, according to Bell, and in addition to the big hits the group plans to incorporate its handful of more rock-leaning songs such as "Misled," "Tonight" and "Emergency," which it also played at Glastonbury. As for possible collaborations with Roth or the rest of Van Halen, Bell says that "we've got to see as it goes. Right now (Roth) is happy about us being here and doing the tour with them. We don't know if it'll turn into anything more than that." But, he adds, his bandmates are stoked about the opportunity to see the headliners play each night.

"A lot of the guys in my band are definitely into them," Bell reports. "Of course Eddie, everyone knows that blistering solo he did for Michael Jackson on 'Beat It,' and a lot of my guys are familiar with other tracks they've done." The two groups have been together for rehearsals in Los Angeles this week, and Bell says "it flows. Everybody's cool so far. Everything is, as they say, cool in the gang."

The Gang, meanwhile, is also thinking about doing some recording after the Van Halen tour and maybe coming up with the group's first new album since 2007's "Still Kool." "We're writing and doing some things, some different concepts," Bell says. "It's not only the original members but the guys who are with us, we're constantly writing and coming up with different ideas. Hopefully we'll get some product out before the year is out."
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

I think it's a dumb as hell idea...

I wouldn't think of paying money to see Kool and the Gang even in their prime...

I'd rather see Chickenface get blown away...

Comment

• bantonelli
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Nov 2004

For us chickadees, I think we'll be okay and can get into the groove, but I would have rather seen an emerging rock band (heard Ralph Saenz has a new project/band?). Assuming some guys will just get to the venue at the last 1/2 of Kool's performance or stay in the Beer line until the VH blimps fly around the arena...
      "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Comment

• VHscraps
        Veteran
        • Jul 2009

It means you can get some extra drinks in at the bar ... if there is a bar.

I went to my first big show in a long time back in December, and I was surprised that I could actually buy beer and be allowed to take it into the arena ... I guess it had been 18 years since my last show in one of those kind of big venues.
        THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Yount
          Commando
          • Jan 2012

Awesome choice Dave. At least it's not Cinderella or Extreme. Bring Kool out to Aus!

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by VHscraps
            It means you can get some extra drinks in at the bar ... if there is a bar.

I went to my first big show in a long time back in December, and I was surprised that I could actually buy beer and be allowed to take it into the arena ... I guess it had been 18 years since my last show in one of those kind of big venues.
            18 years ??

I feel bad for ya...

Comment

• VHscraps
              Veteran
              • Jul 2009

Yeah, 18 years. Got old in the head, I guess.

But I saw bands in bars, and small venues - I just gave up on big arena shows and festivals and the like ... I can't really remember what the hell I was doing during all those years.

Hey, actually I did see some shows - memory finally kicks in. I really just stopped going to metal / hard rock shows. I saw Bob Dylan, Elvis (ain't kidding, Elvis. They toured the big arenas - Elvis's early 70s band, with James Burton, playing to a big screen of Elvis's 1970 and 1972 concert films). Ever see that? The show ended with the words, 'Elvis has left the building' ...
              THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

I wanted to see that show but I was busy and it never got close enough...

How was it ??

Comment

• VHscraps
                  Veteran
                  • Jul 2009

I had a great time at it, and it worked really well with the live band and Elvis on the big screen.
                  THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS

I wouldn't think of paying money to see Kool and the Gang even in their prime...

These fuckers can groove. Any real musician can appreciate that.

Word of advice "Grand Dragon"..... leave the hood at home.
                    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• fourthcoming

Van Halen has never had a history of bringing kick ass opening acts with them throughout their entire history so why is everyone so surprised now? They had Alice In Chains open up for them for a few dates with Spammus Flatulus but that's about it. I peronally think Kool & the Gang is a talented group. It's better than Kymani Marley. Bottom line, who goes to a VH show for the opening act anyway?

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                        Veteran
                        • Jun 2005

I just wish Kool had their original lead singer with them but it appears he hasn't been with them since the late 80's. I really don't care to watch another guy sing their hits anymore than i would want to see Sammy up there with Van Halen. Given the groove of the music it shouldn't be too bad i guess. If they had J.T. back on vocals i would really be stoked for it.
                        RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                        LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• twonabomber
                          formerly F A T
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS

I'd rather see Chickenface get blown away...

have another donut, Yngwie.
                          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• VAiN
                            Use my hand, I won't look
                            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by VHscraps
                            Kool & the Gang will play a 50-minute set before each Van Halen show, according to Bell...
                            Cool... so we have at least 60-75 minutes from start time to get ready...
                            Originally posted by wiseguy
                            That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
                              These fuckers can groove. Any real musician can appreciate that.

Word of advice "Grand Dragon"..... leave the hood at home.
                              Fuck you motherfucker!

How many times did you see Kool and the fucking Gang in their heyday !?!!

Zero ??

Thought so...

Comment

Working...