DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

I am right now editing a concert video of U2, when they came to Gnashville last July. Would not normally have bothered, but a) it was one of the greatest concerts I have seen, though I was not there, b) Someone with a digital recorder was right next to the sound console, so I got a full uninterrupted digital recording that is PERFECT, and c) there were several hundred video clips uploaded to youtube, many of them in HD.

So I went to youtube, downloaded every video that was uploaded from the show, and am editing them all together now. 31-song set, some songs have 20 or more video clips to choose from. I don't give a fuck if the sound is shitty or if people are yelling or clapping, as I am not using the audio from the video clips for the final product. I just use the audio to synch up to my master audio track, the delete the video audio. Then choose which camera angles I want, etc. Am just finishing the 4th song right now. Is going to kick ass when I am done.

And I am going to acknowledge everyone who contributed a video. In the credits I am going to say "Thanks to everyone who took the time to capture video of this amazing show, and upload it to youtube. Without your input, this DVD would not be as great as it is...".

It helps when you are working on music you like to hear, lol.

Am sure there will be some multi-cam shows from this tour. Hell, the Led Zep reunion show someone created a 10-cam DVD which I have.

Gotta love technology.
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 02-20-2012 at 01:25 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 02:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

No Wonder I Drink,It's Called A Fucking Hat Cam.
    Last edited by Dan; 02-20-2012 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Yes,I have Been Drinking.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Shut up and dance!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-21-2015 @ 04:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    No Wonder I Drink,It's Called A Fucking Hat Cam.
    Which show are you flying over for Dan

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ok,You Are Going To Look Funny But Who Gives A Fuck.

Last edited by Dan; 02-20-2012 at 01:35 AM. Reason: hands Free baby.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guwapo_rocker View Post
    Which show are you flying over for Dan
    Please Note: That Information Is Top-Secert.

Shut up and dance!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Please Note: That Information Is Top-Secert.
    Bummer, I wanted to buy you a beer.

Cheers.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guwapo_rocker View Post
    Bummer, I wanted to buy you a Hooker.

Cheers.
    How Rude.

Shut up and dance!
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

How Rude.
    Okay, so Manila it is.

See you there.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2015 @ 04:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks

for what it's worth, I just noticed this post on another website...... it's still technically hearsay to us, but it looks like there's the "Official" permission some have been looking for.....

"Friend of mine who works at an arena that VH is coming sent me this memo she got.

I need to make everyone aware and also ask for your help to inform all that the Band have requested that the camera policy to be "if a audience member can carry the camera/video equipment in to the venue it is allowed and should not be stopped.

YES, that means professional cameras (with long lens) and even hand held camcorders are allowed in, but No Tripods or Tv style video Cameras!"

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-17-2020 @ 02:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kubacheck View Post
    for what it's worth, I just noticed this post on another website...... it's still technically hearsay to us, but it looks like there's the "Official" permission some have been looking for.....

"Friend of mine who works at an arena that VH is coming sent me this memo she got.

I need to make everyone aware and also ask for your help to inform all that the Band have requested that the camera policy to be "if a audience member can carry the camera/video equipment in to the venue it is allowed and should not be stopped.

YES, that means professional cameras (with long lens) and even hand held camcorders are allowed in, but No Tripods or Tv style video Cameras!"
    I'm going to print that out and carry it with my ass so when Biff the Bafoon from ELITE security smashes the camera and kicks the shit out of me, I can show him this and he'll feel bad.

Anyway...doesn't all of this shit seem kinda surreal? It's almost too good to be true. I'm heading over to the thread where everyone's speculating on the next album.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2015 @ 05:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 676 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kubacheck View Post

With today's gear you can certainly carry in TV cameras on a tripod. With only one person. Or a long lens on a monopod. No stinkin' problem.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-19-2024 @ 04:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    Listen to you guys!! Its a Van Halen show! Not a Peter gabriel concert.

I can't wait for someone to tell me to be quiet at the next show because they are "recording".

I live in a fairly popular tourist city and you wouldn't believe the license people (visitors and locals alike) think they have because they are toting a camera with them...ushering you away from whatever you are looking at.

Thankfully my "contributions" to Jeff's and Brett's fantastic videos are limited to when VH is not actually playing, so I know what you mean, but lets not take this too far

Hey I didn't care that he was singing and having fun, i was too! I didn't ask him to stop doing ANYTHING he was doing, he has a right to have fun and do whatever he wants, but was a fucking asshole beyond any of that. Pushing his ugly girlfriend up to the front because she couldn't see, didn't care who the fuck he was stepping on or pushing over, or the fact we already were on top of each other against the railing. Then he kept fucking trying to smoke, every other second, hiding it. Pissing everyone off. We're all two inches from each other asshole, do you mind giving us air to breathe. Then he spilled his beer on me of course, and kept falling over on me every second because he was wasted. He was just one of "those" guys. I didn't care that there was singing over my videos, I didn't even realize it until I got home. But the fact that HE was the voice on it is what pissed me off. If it was you or VA or something whose voice was all over it, I wouldn't have cared. Well maybe a little. HAHA! And it's not like I was recording that many songs, I think I did 5. I wanted to watch the rest of the time, there were just some songs I really like that I wanted, considering I will NEVER see Van Halen from the front row the rest of my life.

I can't actually say I know it's annoying that people hold up cameras and phones to video stuff. You know how many concerts I have been to the last 6-7 years...shit maybe one besides VH. To me it was all new. I never go to shows anymore, I've seen everyone I want to and it's too damn expensive. I don't know how you guys do it.
    Last edited by Brett; 02-24-2012 at 01:18 AM.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I never go to shows anymore, I've seen everyone I want to and it's too damn expensive. I don't know how you guys do it.
    we don't live in our mother's basement, have a life and make some money...

14. 2 users say thank you to DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

BITEYOASS (02-24-2012),ELVIS (02-24-2012)

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    We don't have basements in California.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    02-24-2012 @ 10:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Now to have Alex act like Tommy Lee..................Titty Cams anyone??????????????????

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

If it was you or VA or something whose voice was all over it, I wouldn't have cared. Well maybe a little.
    Oh, you would have known if that was me singing bro.... It would have sounded like that episode on the Brady Bunch where Peter loses his voice.....

Unless I was drunk, of course....

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries

19. 2 users say thank you to ELVIS for this KICKASS post:

BITEYOASS (02-24-2012),DavidLeeNatra (02-25-2012)

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 04:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Hey I didn't care that he was singing and having fun, i was too! I didn't ask him to stop doing ANYTHING he was doing, he has a right to have fun and do whatever he wants, but was a fucking asshole beyond any of that. Pushing his ugly girlfriend up to the front because she couldn't see, didn't care who the fuck he was stepping on or pushing over, or the fact we already were on top of each other against the railing. Then he kept fucking trying to smoke, every other second, hiding it. Pissing everyone off. We're all two inches from each other asshole, do you mind giving us air to breathe. Then he spilled his beer on me of course, and kept falling over on me every second because he was wasted. He was just one of "those" guys. I didn't care that there was singing over my videos, I didn't even realize it until I got home. But the fact that HE was the voice on it is what pissed me off. If it was you or VA or something whose voice was all over it, I wouldn't have cared. Well maybe a little. HAHA! And it's not like I was recording that many songs, I think I did 5. I wanted to watch the rest of the time, there were just some songs I really like that I wanted, considering I will NEVER see Van Halen from the front row the rest of my life.

I can't actually say I know it's annoying that people hold up cameras and phones to video stuff. You know how many concerts I have been to the last 6-7 years...shit maybe one besides VH. To me it was all new. I never go to shows anymore, I've seen everyone I want to and it's too damn expensive. I don't know how you guys do it.
    Brett, you STILL edit every post you make after you post it? LOL!!! You old quick-on-the-trigger dog, you!

21. Thanked Catfish for this KICKASS post:

SNIPER (03-26-2012)

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Brett, you're whining like a pussy. It seems to me you've been to too many VAN HAGAR shows, where everyone is tiptoeing and whispering and sobbing to heartfelt lyrics and not enough ROCK shows!

23. Thanked Catfish for this KICKASS post:

SNIPER (03-26-2012)

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    And we don't have a massive collection of video games, cable or satellite TV. Hence why we all have extra money for concerts.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
    Brett, you're whining like a pussy. It seems to me you've been to too many VAN HAGAR shows, where everyone is tiptoeing and whispering and sobbing to heartfelt lyrics and not enough ROCK shows!
    Dude where have you been?

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Get A Hat Cam Up You.

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dude where have you been?
    No shit, huh? The fire still rages. There is lots of pure black hate deep inside of me. But they get mad when I post at work

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No shit, huh? The fire still rages. There is lots of pure black hate deep inside of me. But they get mad when I post at work
    F them.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Hey Hardrock...if one was interested in a digital audio recorder of some sort and also a camcorder with an external mic of some kind, do you have any suggestions?

Just curious if there was somethign that was nice and compact and was worth the expense = would provide a good result.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Dave has one...the mighty =VH= used to practise there...

31. Thanked DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

BITEYOASS (02-25-2012)

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-12-2015 @ 08:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    Hey Hardrock...if one was interested in a digital audio recorder of some sort and also a camcorder with an external mic of some kind, do you have any suggestions?

Just curious if there was somethign that was nice and compact and was worth the expense = would provide a good result.
    Some of the new Sony Camcorders record audio in 5.1 which is pretty cool, that and much more, I am actually looking to pick one up for my vegas trip/Van Halen concert

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I have not kept up on technology in the compact camcorder realms....I am amazed at all the Zoom digital audio recorders there are. And I HAVE seen new camcorders that are small as the Zoom type of audio recorders.

I would have kept up with it more if I were still recording shows like I did in the 70s, 80s and 90s. I wish to the gods that I could have had the technology back then that is available now.

But after 1992, I got tired of worrying about being caught with my gear, and wanted to go to the show just to be entertained, instead of "working".

The only exception, and last time I recorded, was when Queensryche was on their Promised Land tour....and they announced in Wichita, Kansas on the radio one day that the band was allowing people to audio or video tape their shows. You had to go to the box office and buy a taper section ticket (same price as a regular ticket). I borrowed a pro-grade VHS camcorder from a friend who worked for a production company. Called the box office in advance to ask if I could bring in a tripod, and they said no. Showed up on the day of the show to see some guy being allowed inside by security with a tripod. And I had left the tripod at home.

I was pissed, but oh well. I videotaped Type O Negative (the opener) and the entire QR show. Not as steady as I would have liked, but the camera was a shoulder mounted camera, and, knowing all the songs QR played, I was able to zoom in on Geoff Tate when his vocals began, or the guitarists when they were taking solos......so it turned out beautifully....

Side note: So in between sets, I am in a hallway, charging the camcorder battery. I only got it the day before the show, and the battery took FOREVER to charge....I did not get it fully charged before the concert.

So some guy walks up to me in the hallway and gives me an after show pass.....he was in town to interview the band. I was hoping to meet Geoff Tate, as I have his laminate pass from the Rage For Order tour...and I wanted to get him to sign it. So after the show, the only band guy to show for the meet and greet was Eddie Jackson. Cool guy. So I went outside to the fenced in area where the tour buses were, and when Geoff walked out I asked him if he could spare a moment to sign something for me. When I showed him what I had it blew his mind, but he signed it. A friend of mine ran monitors on AC/DC's Who Made Who tour in the 80s, and QR was the opener for a leg of that tour....that was how I got it.

So anyway, I have a few good boots I recorded myself. But these days, there are so many other people recording shows that I just sit back and am content to be a consumer.

Sometimes, as with this U2 DVD I am editing, I go a step further.

And that is something perhaps one of you can do.

All you need is offline video editing software that will allow you to have multiple audio and video tracks. And have a full continuous audio recording of the show.

You load the master audio track, and you synch up the video clip audio to the master audio. Once it is synched up, you delete the shitty audio from the original clip.

There is much more to it than that, actually, but that is the basic thing.

And if you are doing as I am with this U2 project, you have to be sure you have enough video clips to cover every second of the entire show. A majority of people will stop recording right after the band is done with a song, and they will not start recording until after the band starts the song, so there can be gaps in the video between songs.

Am looking forward to seeing some DVDs of this tour.

If Van Halen wants to save some cash, here is what they should do. Give out HD vid cams to like 30 different people, most of the peeps to be up close in the front row, but others at various points around the arena, then, afterwards have a meet and greet where they turn in the video they shot. Then as a thank you to the people, just give the cameras back to them. VH can take the footage, and edit it to soundboard audio, and they will have a decent concert video without having to pay a crew of 30 cameramen, etc.

Trent Reznor did that in 1998. He was going to hire James Cameron's film crew and film a 3-D theatrical concert video in the NW, to be released in theaters.
    He needed to get coordinated with his former label, who owns the rights for some of the material.....so they could release it.

The label dragged their feet...would not work at taking care of things, so finally when it was too late to get everything ready in time, Trent said to them "FUCK YOU MOTHERFUCKERS!" and he hired like 20 people to film 3 shows in HD..Vancouver, Portland, and I think San Francisco....he then used his soundboard audio and edited together the entire thing himself, then GAVE IT AWAY ON THE INTERNET as a big "FUCK YOU" to the record label. In fact, you can probably still download the original 1080p HD video (which you would need many terrabytes of hard drive space to store, as well as the internet connection from Hell) from his website.

I have the Portland show. It is THE most kickass bootleg concert DVD I have ever seen from a production standpoint.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I meant, Trent Reznor did that in 2008. Dunno where 1998 came from, lol..

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    06-28-2023 @ 02:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=152685.60

I read this at an audio taping forum:

I made it to the Montreal concert on Thursday. I was not allowed to bring my small camcorder in, but my digital camera was okay. I decided to try some video on that and part way through the second song, security told me to stop. He indicated just photos (by pretending to take a picture with an imaginary camera). I thought it was strange, but I complied. Later, I managed to video all of Eddie’s solo after seeing many people around me shooting videos of different songs. I took a lot of photos though and completely enjoyed the show, so there is no disappoinment here!

So it looks like some venues are not getting the word...

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Heck, there is so much video and also photos being taken by peeps in the front rows with their iPhones, it is almost irrelevant. It is enough for me to say "Hey, these are from the show I was at!".

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    So...who's going to the May 24th show in Denvoid? I myself have not been to a show at the corporate goobflex-fest known as the Pepsi Center but am asking on how much parking alone will be: I say @$20.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Shit, parking at the TD center in Boston was 27. I nearly shit myself.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    If its over $25 then fuck seeing this show.

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Sorry, but...

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post

Hi Sunshine!

I was thinking, I got $10 that says your last name is Anthrope.

Miss Anthrope

and dang with your new avatar. Eat a sammich already. I'd tell you Elvis can get you soft shell crab sammiches, but I don't want to break the restraining order he probably has to keep you away from him.

PS - did you know Hostess ding songs? A serving size is 2 CAKES! NOT 1! Yum! So double up without the guilt.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post

I get sad when I look at my ticket stub photo album. Man...I saw ALL the big arena bands in the 80's for under $20. usually around $16 to $17.50. Van Halen, Scorps, Def lep, AC/DC, Ozzy, all of them. Then I see my Police ticket for $180.....hahaha. I'm such an idiot to have paid that. In the 80's I was pissed when my older friends showed me their even older stubs that were like $9.50-$11. I thought I was getting ripped off paying $17 for Ozzy with Metallica opening up.

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-17-2015 @ 12:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sensible Shoes View Post
    With today's gear you can certainly carry in TV cameras on a tripod. With only one person. Or a long lens on a monopod. No stinkin' problem.
    I'm planning on bringing my Canon Rebel XT with telephoto lens to the 5/19 show in MN. Gonna call ahead to the venue before hand just to be safe - but hoping to get some cool shots.

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    I'm planning on bringing my Canon Rebel XT with telephoto lens to the 5/19 show in MN. Gonna call ahead to the venue before hand just to be safe - but hoping to get some cool shots.
    You can bring a legit camera w/lens to these gigs?????

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yep Von brought a monster lens into the Buffalo show.

Thread Information