Dave is still the KING LIVE!! ARMY die hards please read.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jero
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
    it's from the "strange and twisted tales"...I signed up under a different name back in the slawterhouse days...
    What name did you use back then?

Comment

• fryingdutchman
      Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
      What is it with this rash of newbies who want to come on here and lecture to us ??
      He'll give you the standard line of..."hey man, I'm not new. I've been a member since 2004."

You know the type. Under 10 posts in 8 years, but they think they have some cred.

Same thing happened back in '07-'08. They come out of the woodwork. But when this tour is over and everything around ADKOT dies down, they'll fall silent again.
      Originally posted by perilouspete
      fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• FALCO
        Groupie
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
        He'll give you the standard line of..."hey man, I'm not new. I've been a member since 2004."

You know the type. Under 10 posts in 8 years, but they think they have some cred.

Same thing happened back in '07-'08. They come out of the woodwork. But when this tour is over and everything around ADKOT dies down, they'll fall silent again.
        Interesting... while I may not agree with everyones posts here, I respect everyone having an opinion... but apparently the amount of posts one puts up reflects how much weight their words hold?

I'd like to think my 30 years of singing and 8 years of actually recording, touring US and Europe, etc. would give me some "cred" and a reference point to certain things discussed here, rather than the amount of posts I have... maybe a more technical aspect?

I may or may not be right in what is discussed, and really, it's all a goof for good discussion and entertainment...
        But I'd like to think actually DOING it holds a bit more water than just TYPING it...

Respectfully...

\m/ \m/
        NEW Wicked Maraya coming in 2015!!!
        'Lifetime In Hell' (unreleased 1991) and 2 NEW songs!!!
        "A little more volume in the headphones please..."

Comment

• Yount
          Commando
          • Jan 2012

Couple weeks ago a newbie posted his/her 1st post and it was spectacular reading (and I can't be fagged looking for it right now - I gotta hit the hay.)

I'll judge it on the content, not the # of posts made by the user. Although I will show a little more patience and respect while reading the vet posts.

But I'm not worried tonyb5150 do not stress about me stressing.

Comment

• sadaist
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jul 2004

A friend emailed me that she doesn't like DLR but likes VH. Here is a summary of our correspondence:

her: I Don't like DLR. I like Van Halen.

me: DLR IS Van Halen

her: No. Eddie is Van Halen

me: Wrong. Eddie is A Van Halen. Dave IS Van Halen.

me: ps - when you think of Eddie Van Halen, you think of the band Van Halen. When you think of the band Van Halen, you think of David Lee Roth. DAVE IS VH!
            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• fryingdutchman
              Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by FALCO
              Interesting... while I may not agree with everyones posts here, I respect everyone having an opinion... but apparently the amount of posts one puts up reflects how much weight their words hold?

I'd like to think my 30 years of singing and 8 years of actually recording, touring US and Europe, etc. would give me some "cred" and a reference point to certain things discussed here, rather than the amount of posts I have... maybe a more technical aspect?

I may or may not be right in what is discussed, and really, it's all a goof for good discussion and entertainment...
              But I'd like to think actually DOING it holds a bit more water than just TYPING it...

Respectfully...

\m/ \m/
              Too bad the name "VAIN" is already taken here....

To paraphrase Carly Simon...."I guess you think my post was about you, don't you, don't you?"

As for the rest of what you posted....since you opened a line of discussion....

Yes, I think your number of posts does play a part in adding "weight" to your words. You have 29 posts in 8 years. Based on those numbers I think it's fair to say that nobody here knows anything about your background or frame of reference for your opinion. In fact, up until post number 29, I had no idea about your entertainment background.

You need to understand that when people (not necessarily you specifically) pop in here once every 8 years or so and start firing off opinions or giving "lectures" (to use VA's words), it's going to rub some of the regulars the wrong way....no matter what your personal life experiences are.

But it's the internet. It's the perfect storm for people who have always wanted to walk into a bar they've never been to before, take over the jukebox, and flip the bird at the "regulars."

It's widely known and accepted here, even amongst the most hardcore of us, that singing is not always Dave's strong suit. But with Dave, it's always been about much more than just pitch-perfect singing. It's an entire package of showmanship that extends beyond just vocal abilities. I think that the most devout Roth fans take pride in the fact that they can acknowledge his shortcomings in addition to his triumphs.

When you come in here and sling a shit phrase like "cat stuck in a fan belt" in reference to Dave's singing after only 29 posts, you're probably going to get your ass handed to you. You get points for brass balls, no doubt, but that's about it. You're entitled to your opinion, but you may want to temper your delivery just a touch.
              fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Yount
                Couple weeks ago a newbie posted his/her 1st post and it was spectacular reading (and I can't be fagged looking for it right now - I gotta hit the hay.)

I'll judge it on the content, not the # of posts made by the user. Although I will show a little more patience and respect while reading the vet posts.

But I'm not worried tonyb5150 do not stress about me stressing.
                I remember that post too. It was the dude's first post, and it was unbelievable. It was thoughtful, incisive, and just delivered really well.

I recall giving that guy big props...and I think I even gave him a "thanks."

So I'm not a snob who bases his opinions solely on the number of posts...but it definitely plays a factor in how people are received here.

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by FALCO

DLR sounds like a cat stuck in a fan belt now ...

To each their own I guess...
                  I really wonder how much of that is chalked up to bad recording? I know my camera, phone, or even voice recorder does horrible sound for concerts. I recorded the Police in 2007 and it sounds awful. Like they're inside an aluminum can.

But I agree. Dave has had some rough spots. But to me it's the same as Eddie missing a note on a guitar solo. It happens. BFD. I go just as much (if not more) to watch Dave & not hear him. At least he is trying to sing & not having the audience do it while he signs autographs for the front rows.
                  “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• fwacf
                    Roadie
                    • Jul 2004

Really? Are you guys acting like this? Who fucking cares if there a "NEWBIE".
                    Welcome and keep away from the Cabo!
                    When you turn on your stereo, does it return the favor?

Comment

• ashstralia
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Feb 2004

yeah, i must admit i'm struggling with the poor overall sound quality of the vids. i've heard a few where you can just tell the band are killing it, but these devices can't cut it.

i'm so hoping they're pulling a maiden and pro shooting every show, so they can cherrypick the best performances for a dvd release.

as far as the noobs go, we were all one once. when was the last time ya did something for the first time?

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                        Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by ashstralia
                        yeah, i must admit i'm struggling with the poor overall sound quality of the vids. i've heard a few where you can just tell the band are killing it, but these devices can't cut it.

i'm so hoping they're pulling a maiden and pro shooting every show, so they can cherrypick the best performances for a dvd release.

as far as the noobs go, we were all one once. when was the last time ya did something for the first time?
                        Yeah...the vids are brutal. The shift in quality as people pan there phone cameras around the stage is really unbelievable.

I guess we'll never know for sure until we witness it in person with our naked, steaming eyes....

And also agree Ash that we were all noobs once. I just seem to recall when I was a noob I treaded very lightly...and wouldn't even dream of whipping out some smartass criticism of Dave at a DLR fan site with no history to back me up.

Just sayin'....

Comment

• ashstralia
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Feb 2004

for sure mate; i was always treated well here, respect duly given and received.

Comment

• Yount
                            Commando
                            • Jan 2012

But it's the internet. It's the perfect storm for people who have always wanted to walk into a bar they've never been to before, take over the jukebox, and flip the bird at the "regulars."
                            Ha ha very funny very true.

I remember that post too. It was the dude's first post, and it was unbelievable. It was thoughtful, incisive, and just delivered really well.
                            Sometimes I get ultra suspicious and start thinking that an original veteran member just signed up as a newbie to post an opinion that maybe they are a little tentative posting as themselves. That's how good that post was!! I was thinking "no way that's some blow in rookie off the street post!!!"

(I'm not sure if that all makes sense. I gotta go sleep.)
                            Last edited by Yount; 02-27-2012, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• FALCO
                              Groupie
                              • Jun 2004

Too bad the name "VAIN" is already taken here....

To paraphrase Carly Simon...."I guess you think my post was about you, don't you, don't you?"

As for the rest of what you posted....since you opened a line of discussion....

Yes, I think your number of posts does play a part in adding "weight" to your words. You have 29 posts in 8 years. Based on those numbers I think it's fair to say that nobody here knows anything about your background or frame of reference for your opinion. In fact, up until post number 29, I had no idea about your entertainment background.

You need to understand that when people (not necessarily you specifically) pop in here once every 8 years or so and start firing off opinions or giving "lectures" (to use VA's words), it's going to rub some of the regulars the wrong way....no matter what your personal life experiences are.

It's widely known and accepted here, even amongst the most hardcore of us, that singing is not always Dave's strong suit. But with Dave, it's always been about much more than just pitch-perfect singing. It's an entire package of showmanship that extends beyond just vocal abilities. I think that the most devout Roth fans take pride in the fact that they can acknowledge his shortcomings in addition to his triumphs.

When you come in here and sling a shit phrase like "cat stuck in a fan belt" in reference to Dave's singing after only 29 posts, you're probably going to get your ass handed to you. You get points for brass balls, no doubt, but that's about it. You're entitled to your opinion, but you may want to temper your delivery just a touch.

Of course I'm vain... I'm a singer damnit!!! lol...

I guess I'm just fired up over the fact that, to me, David Lee Roth is IT... and I really thought in 07/08 he was the rock and just really kicked ass... and now it seems he is the weakest link and it bothers me...
                              If he is having vocal issues, then I would think he would not try to sing so high and sound like he is straining...

As much as I hate critiquing him, I hate it more when other slag him (if that makes sense)... and watching that DTNA clip from Indy just hurt my ears and doesn't make sense to me (as a singer)...

Anyway, this is what makes this place what it is... and definitely was not my intent to disrespect the 'regulars'!!!

Plus we all have our united hate for "the replacement singer" so we all have that going for us!!!

\m/ \m/
                              NEW Wicked Maraya coming in 2015!!!
                              'Lifetime In Hell' (unreleased 1991) and 2 NEW songs!!!
                              "A little more volume in the headphones please..."

Comment

• Carmine
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Apr 2004

I recall giving that guy big props...and I think I even gave him a "thanks."

So I'm not a snob who bases his opinions solely on the number of posts...but it definitely plays a factor in how people are received here.
                                "atlantakat", in my "Thank You, Wolfgang" Thread?

Still the dudes one and ONLY post!

Comment

Working...