View Poll Results: Which album is better?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fair Warning

29 82.86%

6 17.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fair Warning vs 1984?

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-11-2020 @ 06:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Fair Warning vs 1984?

OK, I’m struggling here. I can’t figure out my favourite Van Halen album. I need to know, just in case I am ever faced with the decision of which single VH disc to take to a desert island.

It’s a fairly obvious choice between two: Fair Warning and 1984.

Fair Warning – seminal, angry, edgy, brilliant. Side A is among the best unbroken vinyl grooves in rock album history. Mean Street, Dirty Movies, Sinners Swing and Hear About It Later. Four of Van Halen’s greatest tracks in glorious succession. Side B doesn’t let up either. By the time Unchained is over it’s a welcome relief to be brought down a few notches with the breezy, sleazy slow groove of When Push Comes To Shove. We all want to light up a cigarette with Dave after what feels like an orgy. So this Is Love? deserves it’s place towards the end of the album where most slightly sub-par or filler tracks tend to reside, then there’s the anti-climactic final two tracks (which plays out more like one track – and works best when thought of that way). Though the tone of these obscure tracks do add to the overall gritty aesthetic of Fair Waning, they clearly represent the albums Nadir. That said, hard to imagine Fair Warning ending any other way.

1984 – Contains the VH signature tunes Jump, Hot For Teacher and Panama. Like Fair Warning, Side A is flawless – even the instrumental opener creates an exciting, ominous mood. Whatever you might want to say about the saccharine pop sensibilities of Jump, it is beautifully juxtaposed by the crystalline hard rock perfection of Panama. The flippant vibe of Top Jimmy almost disguises the complex beauty of the guitar work and Drop Dead legs is mid-paced groove rock at its finest. Hot For Teacher has more than earned it’s stripes in the pantheon of hard rock history. I’ll Wait is not a bad song per se, it’s just not a particularly great track either and doesn’t rank anywhere near as high as the rest of the albums tracks. Girl Gone Bad on the other hand is not only the high point of 1984, but one of Van Halen’s best pieces of music period. The first 90 seconds or so summing up why Eddie Van Halen is among the most remarkable musicians of the 20th century. Though less anti-climactic than Fair Warning, 1984 closes with a throwback tune – a heavy riffing rocker that fades out unremarkably.

So in summary

Fair Warning:
    Awesome tracks: Mean Street, Dirty Movies, Sinners Swing and Hear About It Later, Unchained
    Sub-par or filler: So this Is Love?
    Low point: Sunday Afternoon In The Park, One Foot Out The Door

1984:
    Awesome tracks: Jump, Panama, Top Jimmy, Drop Dead Legs, Hot For Teacher, Girl Gone Bad
    Sub-par or filler: 1984, I’ll Waut, House Of Pain
    Low point: None

Based on this summary, 1984 has the edge over Fair Warning – but I can’t quite commit to this. So it’s over to you to help me decide….
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 11:05 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    1984 was the first Van Halen album I heard so I am tempted to say i like it better

Women and Children First beats them both though
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. Thanked Dave's Bitch for this KICKASS post:

sadaist (02-27-2012)

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-31-2013 @ 09:11 AM
    Status
    Thanks

You could probably just burn those two discs and make one CD. Problem solved.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Bitch View Post
    1984 was the first Van Halen album I heard so I am tempted to say i like it better

I will say it.

1984 is the BEST Van Halen album......to me anyways.

Was my first VH album. I had heard Running With the Devil, Pretty Woman, Dance The Night Away, and maybe Unchained but only in passing & never really "heard" them. 1984 blew me away with the videos and made me go & purchase all the other albums. My GOD! Imagine just discovering VH and having 5 more albums to explore & discover. HOLY SHIT was that an awesome summer!

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Glitter Tot View Post

So in summary

Fair Warning:
    Awesome tracks: Mean Street, Dirty Movies, Sinners Swing and Hear About It Later, Unchained

1984:
    Awesome tracks: Jump, Panama, Top Jimmy, Drop Dead Legs, Hot For Teacher, Girl Gone Bad
    Sub-par or filler: 1984, I’ll Waut, House Of Pain
    Low point: None

Based on this summary, 1984 has the edge over Fair Warning – but I can’t quite commit to this. So it’s over to you to help me decide….
    You missed the BEST tune from Fair Warning....Push Comes To Shove. Listen...really listen to that solo. DAYUM!

One Foot Out The Door a low point? hmmm....I think it's kinda funny. "Ain't no match for your mean old man I think it's time to roll...."

I'll Wait a low point? That's 99.9% o the consensus. I'm the 0.01% that digs that tune. I wish Alex did more cool drum fills like he does in this song. Seems he pretty much stopped that type of stuff after 5150.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-11-2020 @ 06:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    You missed the BEST tune from Fair Warning....Push Comes To Shove. Listen...really listen to that solo. DAYUM!
    Yeh thanks for reminding me, it's an amazing solo - one of the best on the album, almost a precursor to the kind of sound Steve Vai would usher in a few years down the track (yeh I know he was with Zappa at the time, but mostly playing written parts not solos). Like I said in my wrap further up, Push Comes To Shove is the perfect come down after the orgasmic glory of the first five songs.

One Foot Out The Door a low point? hmmm....I think it's kinda funny. "Ain't no match for your mean old man I think it's time to roll...."
    Sure, it has it's place - but what song is it better than if it's not a low point (don't count SAITP - I count them as one sone together)

I'll Wait a low point? That's 99.9% o the consensus. I'm the 0.01% that digs that tune. I wish Alex did more cool drum fills like he does in this song. Seems he pretty much stopped that type of stuff after 5150.
    Cool drum sound. Unusual synth sound (sounds like it's played through an amp and mic'd up). Missing some bottom end as there's no bass. it's an OK song, that's all - IMO

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 07:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 823 Posts

one of my fave bits from 1984... that outro solo in 'house of pain' slays me

btw GT; i didn't mean to call you a poof the other day... i just do that sometimes when i'm drunk.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

going to say 1984, but I will put Fair Warning on more often as 1984 copped
    radio exposeure bigtime, so some of the tunes have been overplayed.
    Otherwise, its split down the middle for me....

Both equallly as good

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

It's 'Fair Warning'.

1984 would come near the bottom of my 6-pack - I don't think it's aged as well.....

11. Thanked binnie for this KICKASS post:

SLAUGHTER MAN (04-29-2012)

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sure, it has it's place - but what song is it better than if it's not a low point

It's kinda like choosing the worst pussy while you're fucking 10 playboy bunnies. Difficult indeed, but you're thankful for the opportunity to try.

13. 2 users say thank you to sadaist for this KICKASS post:

evil_lil (02-27-2012),SLAUGHTER MAN (04-29-2012)

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-04-2013 @ 11:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I wouldn't say 1984 hasn't aged well, but the musical period in which it was made is obvious in listening to it. The other albums are a little more timeless.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-11-2024 @ 01:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Brethren and Sistren,

I've listened to both, back-to-back, and I've figured it out for you. If you're on a desert isle you're gonna want 1984, as there are more tunes to sing/dance to and will keep you from burning down the few palm trees or grass hut you might have. Let's face it, you'll have plenty of time to be pissed and resentful that you are stranded, and FW is too aggressive and visceral for a deserted isle. It will drive you mad!!! Mad I say!!!

On the other hand, just when you're about to kill yourself after eating bananas and coconuts for 10 years straight (despite the health benefits), you can play Jump or the now very appropriately titled I'll Wait and soul will be soothed! Top Jimmy will bring a smile to your face and and you can enjoy the relentless pounding of the waves on your beach while drinking a semi-fermented cocktail of your own urine and various juices from the indigenous food stock (based on a similar recipe you learned in prison), toes in the sand drink in your hand kinda relaxation while Drop Dead Legs keeps your spirits up. And of course Panama and HFT is your workout soundtrack.

All in all, 1984 is more versatile.

That is all.

Icon~
    Last edited by conmee; 02-27-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Corrected iPhone autocorrect corrections.

16. 2 users say thank you to conmee for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (02-27-2012),Yount (02-27-2012)

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    No, Jump and that sucky-ass 1984 intro would drive me mad, not to mention those balloon tire sounding bass drums...

Fair FUCKING Warning is my choice...

18. Thanked ELVIS for this KICKASS post:

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-04-2013 @ 11:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Amen Brother Elvis, cut thru the shit and tell it like it is.
    Jump, Stairway to Heaven, Hotel California, God spare us having to listen to overplayed mediocre songs from bands that have much better music.
    The real Q should be VH1 or FW.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You have a point with drums and rhythm section. But you fail to take into account the natives one isle over, who for 10 years, have learned the tunes and have the drums down, almost acting as a subwoofer or surround sound system. Your bass drums will be fine.

And "1984" will bore deep into your brain and will become a source of relaxation for you, allowing you, in effect, to Stay Frosty!

I mean look at you! "Fair FUCKING Warning?!?!" you are already waaaayyy too wound up for FW on an isle. In fact, we might have to put you at ease with DD and some Dancing In The Street!

That is all.

Icon~

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Well, I got the ultimate idea...

I'm gonna keep my own Van Halen mix CD in my pocket for the rest of my travels...

And when I'm on that island I'm gonna force the natives to build me a CD player while the native women feed me fish and coconut milk...

22. Thanked ELVIS for this KICKASS post:

SNIPER (02-27-2012)

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

First VH Song I ever heard was So This I Love. Many summers a ago when I used to record video's off MTV on my VHS. This was before 1984 came out and I was starting to get into harder rock stuff. I loved it from the start. But a few months later this incredible video Jump hit the air waves and I was blown away. I must have watched it 50 times a day. (I still have my vhs tape with it) I begged my parents for 7 bucks to buy me the album and I got it at Fedco. ...A few months later I got my mom to buy me the other 5 as she was also digging them. Fair Warning was so different than the rest of them to me but would become my favorite. I recently have been playing 1984 a lot. But, out of the 7. 1984 is my least favorite. I still love 1984 more than any other band.
    Last edited by SNIPER; 02-27-2012 at 01:46 PM.

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I used to cut out fake guitars out of cardboard and paint them up like Eddies. Even put a whammy bar on them attached with a wing nut. HAHA!! I would have my own concerts every night in my bed room and I was Eddie. haha. Those were the days!!

25. Thanked SNIPER for this KICKASS post:

sadaist (02-28-2012)

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 08:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    It's 'Fair Warning'.

1984 would come near the bottom of my 6-pack - I don't think it's aged as well.....

DD would be bottom of mine, but I would have to choose Fair Warning over 84. FW has this dark "we wear leather all day" vibe that takes me back to a time of smoking joints and driving around in my buddy's Trans Am. 1984 , although still awesome and perhaps VH's peak, had kind of a
    do I dare say, commercial 80's vibe. Diver Down was the begining of this and Fair Warning was the tail end of that darker late 70's early 80's vibe. I'm really just talking vibe and feel here. Not the songs themselves because I would put some of 84 as the best VH ever.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Brethren and Sistren,

I probably have listened to FW a hell of a lot more than 1984 as an adult. But DD and 1984 are the soundtracks to my teen years when Hustler Scratch-n-Sniff centerfolds introduced me to laboratory-engineered vaginal aromas. So from an emotional and aromatic perspective, I have too many positive associations with 1984. It's my favorite because it brings me back to some fond memories. But FW is the album that gets you through the day when work sucks, the ex leaves you and takes half your shit, and you realize that you never achieved any of your dreams (not me, of course, I'm rollin' baby!)....

That is all.

Icon™©®

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

1984 was my first van album so has a place in my heart , but FW has a place in my stereo

29. 2 users say thank you to vandeleur for this KICKASS post:

conmee (02-27-2012),sadaist (02-27-2012)

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Fair Warning:
    You have to be fucking joking!

31. Thanked Jagermeister for this KICKASS post:

kwame k (02-27-2012)

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-02-2015 @ 07:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Oh JEEEEZUZ. It's like asking me which ball I prefer. I need both of em' in order to impregnate women and later abort em'.....Shit.....I'm gonna go with.....daaahhhh....1984 because of House of Pain. I can't get enough of that... That fucking outro!

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KSTONER View Post
    Oh JEEEEZUZ. It's like asking me which ball I prefer. I need both of em' in order to impregnate women and later abort em'.....Shit.....I'm gonna go with.....daaahhhh....1984 because of House of Pain. I can't get enough of that... That fucking outro!
    You can make a baby with one ball. Didn't you see Meet The Fockers?

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    1984 was my first van album so has a place in my heart , but FW has a place in my stereo

LOL!

That's funny.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
    You can make a baby with one ball.

Why would you want a baby with 1 ball?

This is so much better.

36. 3 users say thank you to sadaist for this KICKASS post:

King VH (02-27-2012),KSTONER (02-27-2012),SNIPER (02-27-2012)

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bwahahahaha!!!!!

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-06-2015 @ 08:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Fair Warning is perfect from start to finish , could have done without I`ll Wait on 1984 but it`s damn near perfect

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 3,249 Posts

Blog Entries
    Fair Warning has the best memories. The week I bought that album was the year we had a foreign exchange student living with us. Luckily she was pretty cute. I was in my room listening to my new Fair Warning album when there was a knock at the door and when I said come in there she was in this little nighty and a nervous sexy smile. Hint Hint. One thing led to another and when we got down to busy Push Comes to Shove was playing. I never got laid to 1984 so I will have to go with Fair Warning.

40. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 10:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I do remember mowing my aunts yard that day,,getting the 10 bucks and going straight to the record store to get FW..seems like yesterday honestly

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-28-2020 @ 03:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Even though my first exposure to VH was 1984, I gotta go with Fair Warning - my fave of the 7-pack. Dave's attitude on FW still blows me away - so sexy!! Still like 1984 better than anything else by any other band, but it's low on my list of the 7.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-11-2020 @ 03:12 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Fair Warning is the best album Van Halen made. 1984 is the worst of the 6 pack. Anyone who doesn't agree with me is fucked.
    Thank you

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-28-2020 @ 03:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lesfunk View Post
    Fair Warning is the best album Van Halen made. 1984 is the worst of the 6 pack. Anyone who doesn't agree with me is fucked.
    Thank you
    I agree! you're welcome!!

45. Thanked Momshell for this KICKASS post:

SunisinuS (02-27-2012)

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    It's 'Fair Warning'.

Ditto. Only two that fight it out in my head is Fair Warning and Van Halen II.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

I'll throw my vote to 1984.........

let me say this...there is no "Low point" or "Bottom" to the 6-pack....

Pound for pound, track for track, VAN HALEN in their prime stack up against ANYBODY in music............LED ZEPP, STONES, BEATLES, etc etc etc.....not xtc, but that's another story....

1984 has aged BRILLIANTLY......NOBODY has put out a recorded work of finer quality....track for track...than 1984....in 28 years.....

I might LIKE FAIR WARNING better...hell, I might play DIVER DOWN more than 1984....still does not take away from the magnitude of the recording....

STELLAR....as our man MAX was fond of saying................

48. Thanked Matt White for this KICKASS post:

conmee (02-27-2012)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    ...mowing my aunts yard...
    Is that code for something... uh huh uh huh...

That is all.

Icon™©®

50. Thanked conmee for this KICKASS post:

sadaist (02-28-2012)

Bottom feeder
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 04:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Fair Warning is second overall to the debut. This thread shouldn't even be a cuntest.

52. Thanked Catfish for this KICKASS post:

hambon4lif (02-27-2012)

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-25-2015 @ 02:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 850 Posts

The first album is still the best, and anyone that doesn't think so can get on their fuckin' knees and THROAT ME!!!

Have A Real Nice Fuckin' Day, Motherfuckers!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    This thread isn't about the first album, deepthroat4lif...

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 05:59 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,283 Times in 1,501 Posts

Blog Entries
    Myself, can't remember the last time I put on 1984 because I actually wanted to hear the title track, Jump or I'll Wait.

Whereas Push Comes To Shove and Sunday Afternoon In The Park/One Foot Out The Door, while perhaps not as strong as the rest of the songs on the album, aren't tunes I ever have the desire to skip over.

Like, when I put 1984 in these days, sometimes I just bypass virtually all the first side, going straight to Drop Dead Legs, and only end up listening to Drop Dead Legs, Hot For Teacher, Girl Gone Bad and House Of Pain. As opposed to Fair Warning, which I'll still listen to from start-to-finish.

Am not saying 1984 was a bad album...in some ways an improvement over Diver Down...just not nearly as good as Fair Warning to my ears. When 1984 really got cooking, it gave as good as Fair Warning did. However, it wasn't necessarily my cup of tea from beginning to end like Fair Warning was.

Thread Information