X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glitter Tot
    Full On Cocktard
    • Feb 2012

Fair Warning vs 1984?

OK, I’m struggling here. I can’t figure out my favourite Van Halen album. I need to know, just in case I am ever faced with the decision of which single VH disc to take to a desert island.

It’s a fairly obvious choice between two: Fair Warning and 1984.

Fair Warning – seminal, angry, edgy, brilliant. Side A is among the best unbroken vinyl grooves in rock album history. Mean Street, Dirty Movies, Sinners Swing and Hear About It Later. Four of Van Halen’s greatest tracks in glorious succession. Side B doesn’t let up either. By the time Unchained is over it’s a welcome relief to be brought down a few notches with the breezy, sleazy slow groove of When Push Comes To Shove. We all want to light up a cigarette with Dave after what feels like an orgy. So this Is Love? deserves it’s place towards the end of the album where most slightly sub-par or filler tracks tend to reside, then there’s the anti-climactic final two tracks (which plays out more like one track – and works best when thought of that way). Though the tone of these obscure tracks do add to the overall gritty aesthetic of Fair Waning, they clearly represent the albums Nadir. That said, hard to imagine Fair Warning ending any other way.

1984 – Contains the VH signature tunes Jump, Hot For Teacher and Panama. Like Fair Warning, Side A is flawless – even the instrumental opener creates an exciting, ominous mood. Whatever you might want to say about the saccharine pop sensibilities of Jump, it is beautifully juxtaposed by the crystalline hard rock perfection of Panama. The flippant vibe of Top Jimmy almost disguises the complex beauty of the guitar work and Drop Dead legs is mid-paced groove rock at its finest. Hot For Teacher has more than earned it’s stripes in the pantheon of hard rock history. I’ll Wait is not a bad song per se, it’s just not a particularly great track either and doesn’t rank anywhere near as high as the rest of the albums tracks. Girl Gone Bad on the other hand is not only the high point of 1984, but one of Van Halen’s best pieces of music period. The first 90 seconds or so summing up why Eddie Van Halen is among the most remarkable musicians of the 20th century. Though less anti-climactic than Fair Warning, 1984 closes with a throwback tune – a heavy riffing rocker that fades out unremarkably.

So in summary

Fair Warning:
    Awesome tracks: Mean Street, Dirty Movies, Sinners Swing and Hear About It Later, Unchained
    Sub-par or filler: So this Is Love?
    Low point: Sunday Afternoon In The Park, One Foot Out The Door

1984:
    Awesome tracks: Jump, Panama, Top Jimmy, Drop Dead Legs, Hot For Teacher, Girl Gone Bad
    Sub-par or filler: 1984, I’ll Waut, House Of Pain
    Low point: None

Based on this summary, 1984 has the edge over Fair Warning – but I can’t quite commit to this. So it’s over to you to help me decide….
    a:2:{i:6809;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:6809;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"60327";s:5:"title";s:12:"Fair Warning";s:5:"votes";i:29;s:6:"voters";a:29:{i:0;s:5:"28037";i:1;s:5:"22640";i:2;s:5:"20165";i:3;s:5:"27562";i:4;s:4:"5738";i:5;s:5:"23877";i:6;s:2:"32";i:7;s:5:"14424";i:8;s:2:"84";i:9;s:5:"25313";i:10;s:5:"27896";i:11;s:3:"195";i:12;s:3:"181";i:13;s:4:"4146";i:14;s:3:"735";i:15;s:2:"34";i:16;s:2:"41";i:17;s:3:"614";i:18;s:5:"28145";i:19;s:3:"131";i:20;s:4:"3324";i:21;s:5:"25454";i:22;s:4:"3871";i:23;s:5:"28238";i:24;s:4:"8292";i:25;s:5:"12663";i:26;s:5:"28475";i:27;s:5:"28463";i:28;s:5:"27873";}}i:6810;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:6810;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"60327";s:5:"title";s:4:"1984";s:5:"votes";i:6;s:6:"voters";a:6:{i:0;s:5:"12968";i:1;s:4:"6381";i:2;s:5:"27022";i:3;s:4:"5688";i:4;s:3:"663";i:5;s:5:"27964";}}}
    0%
  • Dave's Bitch
    ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

1984 was the first Van Halen album I heard so I am tempted to say i like it better

Women and Children First beats them both though
    I really love you baby, I love what you've got
    Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• Yount
      Commando
      • Jan 2012

You could probably just burn those two discs and make one CD. Problem solved.

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
        1984 was the first Van Halen album I heard so I am tempted to say i like it better

I will say it.

1984 is the BEST Van Halen album......to me anyways.

Was my first VH album. I had heard Running With the Devil, Pretty Woman, Dance The Night Away, and maybe Unchained but only in passing & never really "heard" them. 1984 blew me away with the videos and made me go & purchase all the other albums. My GOD! Imagine just discovering VH and having 5 more albums to explore & discover. HOLY SHIT was that an awesome summer!
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Glitter Tot

So in summary

Fair Warning:
          Awesome tracks: Mean Street, Dirty Movies, Sinners Swing and Hear About It Later, Unchained
          Sub-par or filler: So this Is Love?
          Low point: Sunday Afternoon In The Park, One Foot Out The Door

1984:
          Awesome tracks: Jump, Panama, Top Jimmy, Drop Dead Legs, Hot For Teacher, Girl Gone Bad
          Sub-par or filler: 1984, I’ll Waut, House Of Pain
          Low point: None

Based on this summary, 1984 has the edge over Fair Warning – but I can’t quite commit to this. So it’s over to you to help me decide….
          You missed the BEST tune from Fair Warning....Push Comes To Shove. Listen...really listen to that solo. DAYUM!

One Foot Out The Door a low point? hmmm....I think it's kinda funny. "Ain't no match for your mean old man I think it's time to roll...."

I'll Wait a low point? That's 99.9% o the consensus. I'm the 0.01% that digs that tune. I wish Alex did more cool drum fills like he does in this song. Seems he pretty much stopped that type of stuff after 5150.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Glitter Tot
            Full On Cocktard
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by sadaist
            You missed the BEST tune from Fair Warning....Push Comes To Shove. Listen...really listen to that solo. DAYUM!
            Yeh thanks for reminding me, it's an amazing solo - one of the best on the album, almost a precursor to the kind of sound Steve Vai would usher in a few years down the track (yeh I know he was with Zappa at the time, but mostly playing written parts not solos). Like I said in my wrap further up, Push Comes To Shove is the perfect come down after the orgasmic glory of the first five songs.

One Foot Out The Door a low point? hmmm....I think it's kinda funny. "Ain't no match for your mean old man I think it's time to roll...."
            Sure, it has it's place - but what song is it better than if it's not a low point (don't count SAITP - I count them as one sone together)

I'll Wait a low point? That's 99.9% o the consensus. I'm the 0.01% that digs that tune. I wish Alex did more cool drum fills like he does in this song. Seems he pretty much stopped that type of stuff after 5150.
            Cool drum sound. Unusual synth sound (sounds like it's played through an amp and mic'd up). Missing some bottom end as there's no bass. it's an OK song, that's all - IMO

Comment

• ashstralia
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Feb 2004

one of my fave bits from 1984... that outro solo in 'house of pain' slays me

btw GT; i didn't mean to call you a poof the other day... i just do that sometimes when i'm drunk.

Comment

• Panamark
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

going to say 1984, but I will put Fair Warning on more often as 1984 copped
                radio exposeure bigtime, so some of the tunes have been overplayed.
                Otherwise, its split down the middle for me....

Both equallly as good
                BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• binnie
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2006

It's 'Fair Warning'.

1984 would come near the bottom of my 6-pack - I don't think it's aged as well.....
                  The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• sadaist
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Glitter Tot

Sure, it has it's place - but what song is it better than if it's not a low point

It's kinda like choosing the worst pussy while you're fucking 10 playboy bunnies. Difficult indeed, but you're thankful for the opportunity to try.

Comment

• golitely
                      Roadie
                      • Nov 2011

I wouldn't say 1984 hasn't aged well, but the musical period in which it was made is obvious in listening to it. The other albums are a little more timeless.

Comment

• conmee
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Mar 2003

Brethren and Sistren,

I've listened to both, back-to-back, and I've figured it out for you. If you're on a desert isle you're gonna want 1984, as there are more tunes to sing/dance to and will keep you from burning down the few palm trees or grass hut you might have. Let's face it, you'll have plenty of time to be pissed and resentful that you are stranded, and FW is too aggressive and visceral for a deserted isle. It will drive you mad!!! Mad I say!!!

On the other hand, just when you're about to kill yourself after eating bananas and coconuts for 10 years straight (despite the health benefits), you can play Jump or the now very appropriately titled I'll Wait and soul will be soothed! Top Jimmy will bring a smile to your face and and you can enjoy the relentless pounding of the waves on your beach while drinking a semi-fermented cocktail of your own urine and various juices from the indigenous food stock (based on a similar recipe you learned in prison), toes in the sand drink in your hand kinda relaxation while Drop Dead Legs keeps your spirits up. And of course Panama and HFT is your workout soundtrack.

All in all, 1984 is more versatile.

That is all.

Icon~
                        Last edited by conmee; 02-27-2012, 01:29 PM. Reason: Corrected iPhone autocorrect corrections.
                        An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
                        hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

No, Jump and that sucky-ass 1984 intro would drive me mad, not to mention those balloon tire sounding bass drums...

Fair FUCKING Warning is my choice...

Comment

• golitely
                            Roadie
                            • Nov 2011

Amen Brother Elvis, cut thru the shit and tell it like it is.
                            Jump, Stairway to Heaven, Hotel California, God spare us having to listen to overplayed mediocre songs from bands that have much better music.
                            The real Q should be VH1 or FW.

Comment

• conmee
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Mar 2003

You have a point with drums and rhythm section. But you fail to take into account the natives one isle over, who for 10 years, have learned the tunes and have the drums down, almost acting as a subwoofer or surround sound system. Your bass drums will be fine.

And "1984" will bore deep into your brain and will become a source of relaxation for you, allowing you, in effect, to Stay Frosty!

I mean look at you! "Fair FUCKING Warning?!?!" you are already waaaayyy too wound up for FW on an isle. In fact, we might have to put you at ease with DD and some Dancing In The Street!

That is all.

Icon~
                              An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
                              hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Comment

Working...