X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

OK.....as of this post the ranking goes:

Van Halen.......it's the first album and introduced millions of guitarists to a new style and sound.

Fair Warning.....the darkest of all the VH albums and musically, IMHO one of the best.

Van Halen II.....name a better summertime album!

ADKOT......yep, front to back this albums has everything and even the weakest track Tattoo still jams.

DD..........everyone bitches that it's all covers but Secrets, Full Bug, Little Guitars and Hang 'em High are amazing sounds and different from the norm. Throw in Cathedral and Little Guitars intro and you have some of Ed's most innovative guitar work.

Women and Children First........not a bad track on the album but as of today it ranks here.

1984......tons of signature VH......Drop Dead Legs, come on fucking classic. Jump and I'll Wait.....overplayed.
    Originally posted by vandeleur
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• private parts
      Sniper
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by sadaist
      Simple. You are 8 years older than me. So 1984 was my first real introduction to Van Halen and how I first fell in love with them. It seems to be your favorite albums are usually from the era when you were like 11-13 ish and really started to form your musical tastes.
      Yep, the stuff you hear first makes the strongest impression. My 1st exposure was VH II a week or two later VH I. I could not stop listening to it. Wore out an 8 track in the back of a station wagon on a beach trip with my best friends family so it (VH I) was the soundtrack to one of the greatest vacations ever. Young, dumb and full of cum and Running with the Devil!

I awaited every new release like it was the second coming. Never to be disappointed. Yet to this day nothing sounds quite like what Eddie and the boys were laying down on the first album and it set the standard
      that they closely matched on almost everything that followed. THAT is the sign of some real fucking talent!
      sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

I'm probably in the minority here, but having heard all of the albums in order as they were released, I can't put the debut as number one. To be honest, at the time I thought the band sounded like Grand Funk Railroad with a shit-hot guitar player and the guy from Black Oak Arkansas on vocals. Aside from the guitar solos, there were only about 5 memorable tunes on the record. The second album did little if anything to disprove this theory, but when WACF came out, the argument stopped holding water. The moment Fair Warning hit the sales rack, the game changed completely. Diver Down was somewhat disappointing, but believe it or not, I liked it a hell of a lot better than 1984, which still sounds remarkably over-produced, sterile and slick to my ears. So here's the way I view things:

1. Fair Warning
        2. WACF
        3. ADKOT
        4. Diver Down
        5. VH II
        6. VH
        7. 1984

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• hambon4lif
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jun 2004

Playing the comparison game is premature until I hear ADKOT on vinyl, and even then, I seriously doubt that I will. The only thing ADKOT has in common with the 6-pack is the name 'Van Halen', other than that it's really its own thing.
          I'm still not sure how this new stuff is supposed to sound until I put it on the turntable because the sound on the CD suggests that it was aimed strictly for the I-Tunes/Download crowd, and that's fine I guess, but it's also safe to say that I haven't REALLY heard this album yet. The CD is like a preview of what songs are on there for when I do hear it....for real....on wax!

I don't share the popular opinion that ADKOT is 'the seventh album' because no album by anyone before, during, or after can fuck with the six. I'm looking forward to the needle dropping on that red vinyl, but I'll still be keeping it real...

Comment

• private parts
            Sniper
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by chefcraig
            I'm probably in the minority here, but having heard all of the albums in order as they were released, I can't put the debut as number one. To be honest, at the time I thought the band sounded like Grand Funk Railroad with a shit-hot guitar player and the guy from Black Oak Arkansas on vocals. Aside from the guitar solos, there were only about 5 memorable tunes on the record. The second album did little if anything to disprove this theory, but when WACF came out, the argument stopped holding water. The moment Fair Warning hit the sales rack, the game changed completely. Diver Down was somewhat disappointing, but believe it or not, I liked it a hell of a lot better than 1984, which still sounds remarkably over-produced, sterile and slick to my ears. So here's the way I view things:

1. Fair Warning
            2. WACF
            3. ADKOT
            4. Diver Down
            5. VH II
            6. VH
            7. 1984
            Grand Funk Railroad on rocket fuel and nitro glyicerin maybe. Never heard Jim Dandy scream like a banshee, though he did have that "look"
            sigpic" You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Comment

• katina
              Commando
              • Mar 2012

Sorry, I could not make a list or ranking but I tried. I just love them all.

Comment

• SNIPER
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jun 2004

ADKOT is played the most in my world, so for now it is #1 ....Only time will tell if it stands the test of time.

Comment

• Etienne
                  Commando
                  • Aug 2010

1) Van Halen I ...... Car horn -> impact! History.

2) Fair Warning ...... A very special VH album.

3) Van Halen II ...... The album I normally listen from track 1 to the last, without skipping.

4) Women And Children First ...... It gets a little weaker on the B-side.

5) Diver Down ...... Little Guitars sounds monumental and The Full Bug is great. Where Have All The Good Times Gone! and Hang 'Em High are nice too.

6) 1984 ...... Two of my favourite VH tracks on it: Panama and Girl Gone Bad.

7) A Different Kind Of Truth ...... Favourite tracks so far: Blood And Fire, You And Your Blues. Maybe I will rank this album higher in a few years.

Comment

Working...