Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fairwrning
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

I hadnt heard those rumors before..Another reason to say TY to Diamond Dave...can you imagine if that had happened??!! Would it have been like comparing VH 1 to 5150?

Comment

• bantonelli
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Nov 2004

Sammy (aka Bette) = I, I, Me,me,me,me, myself, myself, my birthday, my birthday, my, my, my, me, me, me, I, I, I, Chickens*it..... Well...at least Ronnie was smart enough to throw Bette out of the band that bears his name. Ronnie just could no longer ...."make no CONNECTION" with Red Bette.
      "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

Comment

• Jagermeister
        Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

I don't think it's right to link the two. I know we all hate Sammy but this was way, way before VH was even on his horizon. Anyone here who may say they didn't like Montrose's self titled album is either a liar, a fraud, or not a rock fan at all. It's a classic. Anyone here who says they didn't smoke a joint back in the day listening to this shouldn't comment in this thread.

Comment

• Fairwrning
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

I have never owned this lp...I have only heard a few tunes done by Montrose honestly..no comment on the rest

Comment

• Yount
            Commando
            • Jan 2012

Sammy is a self-absorbed prick. Conniving his way into Van Halen only fed his oversized ego. He's a fucking name dropper.

Comment

• WARF
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

RIP Ronnie.

I wish I knew some of your songs... but I boycott Hagar!

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hagar the Horrible
                "one of the few bands from that era where all four original members were still able to do it.
                you just know that's how he's going to campaign for a return to Van Halen.

"hey, Ed, i know i threw you under the bus in my book and said all those horrible things in interviews, but i think we should bury the hatchet and re-unite. you know, while the four of us are still around to do it."
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Fairwrning
                  I have never owned this lp...I have only heard a few tunes done by Montrose honestly..no comment on the rest

That's where I sit as well. I really dig the tunes I know though and the dude had mad chops.
                  “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Fairwrning
                    The first time Eddie Van Halen and I met, it was around 1977. We were on a stadium show with Boston, Black Sabbath, myself, Van Halen. He came to my dressing room, and said, "I'm a Montrose freak, I love the band!" And Ted Templeman told me, when he signed Van Halen, they were called something else, and he wanted to name them after the guitar player. He said on the first Van Halen record, he took the first Montrose record in there and said, "Boom. We're going to have eight great songs, they're going to be this long, they're going to be this tempo." And pretty much patterned the whole thing after it – right down to saying, "Why don't you guys get Sammy Hagar to sing in this band? He's been thrown out of Montrose." That's a true story!

WHAT A FUCKIN DOUCHE.....I will never mention the fat fuckers name again..So He was asked to be in VH in 77?? VH was copying Montrose??
                    Sam always does two things in interviews. He shamelessly plugs the Cabo Wabo brand and reminds everyone he was in Van Halen like he's still shocked himself that they were dumb enough to bring him on.
                    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Apr 2005

I love how he say's Ted told the band we are going to have 8 song's this long and this tempo like the Montrose record. What a joke !! Van Halen wrote everyting one the first album 3 years before they recorded it !! He is so full of shit !! I did hear that Ted sugggested bringing him in to sing on the first VH record years ago but who knows if it's true. Ed was a big fan of that first album. I love it myself but Ronnie's best work was his solo albums.
                      Last edited by 78/84 guy; 03-07-2012, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• Catfish
                        Sniper
                        • Jan 2004

I've said it many times. I never REALLY wanted Sam Haggar to die, even though I hate him with the fire of 10,000 suns. Because if he ever died, he'd make headlines, which is what he'd want.

Fuck all that. I wish he was so fucking dead.

Comment

• Catfish
                          Sniper
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
                          I've heard the 'Van Halen wanted their first album to sound like Montrose' rumor before. Sammy was also fond of saying they tried to get him in the band in 77, but I took that claim with an entire salt lick block of salt. It's a shame about Ronnie - that first album was classic - despite the singer - and even Paper Money was really good. He seemed like a pretty down to earth guy, and no one can really dispute the mark he made with that first album.
                          I can. Fuck him. He's in the dirt now, which is where he and anyone ever aligned with that fat terrible son of a whore Hagar BELONGS.

Rot in hell, Ronnie!!!!

Comment

• Catfish
                            Sniper
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Full Bug
                            That sucks, god damm cancer claims another, RIP Ronnie....

Slash, Peter Frampton + Others React on Twitter

It didn't take long for rock luminaries and music insiders to react on Twitter. Here's a sampling (we'll have more as they're posted).

Peter Frampton (@peterframpton): Saddened to hear the passing of friend Ronnie Montrose. He was a wonderful person & an amazing guitar player, I will miss you dear Ronnie.

Slash (@Slash): Myles just told me Ronnie Montrose passed. fn' shame. “Montrose” is one of the all time great R&R albums. Major influence. RIP man. IiiI; )'

Nikki Sixx (@NikkiSixx): Ronnie Montrose's first two “Montrose” albums & his work with Edger Winter changed my musical life forever.RIP.

Dee Snider (@deesnider): Just found out that the legendary Ronnie Montrose died. That first Montrose album was life changing for me. #RIPRonnieMontrose

kipwinger (@kipwinger): I had the pleasure of working w/ Ronnie not too long ago.He was a real gem,very giving & very talented.A great loss to the world. RIP Ronnie

matt sorum (@mattsorum): Lost the great Ronnie Montrose. Check out the first couple of Montrose records if you don't know him. Classic and great. RIP Ronnie

Eddie Trunk (@EddieTrunk): Woke 2 very sad news Ronnie Montrose has passed away from cancer at 64. He created one of the all time landmark hard rock albums w/ debut LP

Steve Lukather (@stevelukather): My heart goes out to Ronnie Montrose and his family. Monster player and really nice guy. He will be missed…

David Ellefson (@ellefsondavid): RIP Ronnie Montrose!!! I had the pleasure of playing bass for him circa 2005-07. Such a powerhouse human being

Glenn Hughes (@glenn_hughes): Just heard that my good friend Ronnie Montrose has passed away….I'm speechless…RIP my brother…you will be missed @ the Hughes's…GH

David Ellefson (@ellefsondavid): RIP Ronnie Montrose!!! I had the pleasure of playing bass for him circa 2005-07. Such a powerhouse human being

Nonpoint (@nonpoint): Another legend gone Rest In Peace Ronnie Montrose

Myles Kennedy (@MylesKennedy): Sad to hear Ronnie Montrose passed away. Rock Candy was one of the first songs I ever learned.
                            Catfish (@fuckhagar): Who?

Comment

• Catfish
                              Sniper
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Full Bug
                              SAMMY HAGAR: 'It's A Shame To Lose RONNIE MONTROSE' - Mar. 4, 2012

Former VAN HALEN and current CHICKENFOOT singer Sammy Hagar has commented on the passing of his former bandmate Ronnie Montrose (MONTROSE, GAMMA), who died yesterday (Saturday, March 3) after a five-year battle with prostate cancer. He was 64 years old.

Said Hagar in a statement posted on his official web site: "Ronnie Montrose gave me my first break as a songwriter, as a frontman, as a recording artist, as a touring artist, and for that I will always be grateful.

"I was looking forward to a reunion for my birthday bash in Cabo with Denny [Carnassi, drums], Bill [Church, bass] and Ronnie — one of the few bands from that era where all four original members were still able to do it.

"It's a shame to lose Ronnie and I'm so sorry for his loved ones. Rest in peace."
                              This is the most putrid thing I've ever read. Fucking guy dies and Hagar uses it as a chance to discuss each of his "job skills." Not to mention his god damn birthday party.

I expect NOTHING LESS from this below-average talent with less class than South Central on a Saturday afternoon!

Comment

• Catfish
                                Sniper
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Yount
                                By Sammy Hagar
                                March 6, 2012 11:45 AM ET

On my 65th, on October 13th, I was planning on coming out with Montrose, doing the whole first album, then going in with my other band, and then bringing Chickenfoot out. I was going to try to [cover] my whole four decades for the fans that night, without nobody knowing.
                                BWAHAHAHA!!! Of course no one would know--no one's heard any of those songs!

Fuck--four decades of Hagar rock! What a treat!

Comment

Working...