Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2021 @ 05:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,978 Times in 1,378 Posts

Ronnie Montrose Dead at 64

Legendary Rock Guitarist RONNIE MONTROSE Dead At 64 - Mar. 3, 2012
    Legendary American rock guitarist Ronnie Montrose died earlier today (Saturday, March 3) after a five-year battle with prostate cancer. He was 64 years old.

Montrose's official web site has been updated with the following message:

"A few months ago, we held a surprise party for Ronnie Montrose's 64th birthday. He gave an impromptu speech, and told us that after a long life, filled with joy and hardship, he didn't take any of our love for granted.

"He passed today. He'd battled cancer, and staved off old age for long enough. And true to form, he chose his own exit the way he chose his own life. We miss him already, but we're glad to have shared with him while we could."

In a September 2011 interview with North County Times, Montrose revealed that he didn't pick up his guitar for two years following his cancer diagnosis. "I had prostate cancer that, for me, was debilitating," he said. "I didn't touch a guitar for two years, but when I realized I was seeing the light at the end of the recovery tunnel and was going to live pain-free, I realized again that it was a fun little instrument to play."

He added, "I've blocked all my health issues out of my mind. That's a portion of my life that I'm done with. Now, I can't wait for every day to come so I can wake up and plug in. I'm up there entertaining myself and my playing is stronger than ever, because my excitement is back."

Ronnie Montrose always followed his heart. Ever anxious to take his music to the next level, in 1979 he founded the trailblazing band GAMMA, a group whose trio of ahead-of-their-time albums were an explosion of guitar and synthesizer pyrotechnics anchored by a bluesy edge.

Between and beyond these band forays, Montrose the player devoted himself to exploring instrumental guitar music on landmark albums like "Open Fire" and "The Speed Of Sound". Fans periodically clamored for another taste of the original MONTROSE power trio format, but he wouldn't revisit MONTROSE — that huge, heavy sound; those rich, pealing riffs — until the time came when he could do it with total conviction.

R.I.P.

LINK
    Last edited by Diamondjimi; 03-04-2012 at 03:57 AM.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 07:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 823 Posts

now, some expressed hope that the old ched clunker might carck™ it;

i'm here to tell ya people, dead pools are bad kharma℗.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

at least Sam will have something other than VH to talk about for a while. and he can even make shit up, 'cause Ronnie can't refute it any more.

4. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

NIN1211 (03-04-2012)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

And there's your three for the week.... (Davy Jones being one and Breitfart being two. Well at least two of them had talent.....)

Thanks Ronnie, for managing to make Sammy Hagar's singing at least tolerable on that record you made with him way back when.

Rest in peace

6. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Unchainme (03-04-2012)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Two nice guys die for every asshole who dies. No wonder the world is mostly full of assholes.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Be interesting to hear how gagar makes this all about him

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-16-2021 @ 10:37 AM
    Status
    Thanks

We're getting closer. If you want to pay tribute today, spin Van Morrison's Tupelo Honey... not that shitty album with Fagar on it.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    It's the Hagar curse...

Ronnie Montrose - Dead

EVH - Almost Died

Joe Satriani - Should leave Chickeneck and get a checkup...

11. 3 users say thank you to ELVIS for this KICKASS post:

BITEYOASS (03-05-2012),Unchainme (03-04-2012),Zing! (03-06-2012)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I wonder if Hagar actually goes to the memorial ?

And if he does, can he make a speech about Ronnie and
    not himself or Van Halen ?

13. Thanked Panamark for this KICKASS post:

IceCreamBlondie (03-05-2012)

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Sad. RIP dude. Thanks for the cool tuneage you laid out for us.

*Side note. (No disrespect Mr. Montrose) But this may hit Sammy close to home and make him want to make amends with old friends & band members. I don't think it will....but when stuff like this happens close to home it has that effect on people. I wouldn't mind him mending the relationship with Eddie...I just don't want him working with him again. No one should go to the grave with unfinished business and friends you should have made amends with. Grudges suck.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    RIP Ronnie.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

This is Ronnie as he appeared on his tour from 1978, supporting the Open Fire solo album. He'd hit center stage surrounded by the supporting musicians, who were on risers behind and above him. This was the same tour that introduced many of us old farts to a particular band from Pasadena, California, as well as (less spectacularly) a group of hosers named Journey. Montrose managed to wipe the stage with Van Halen, but nobody is sure about Journey's performance to this day because roughly 98% of the audience hit the parking lot when they hit the stage. (Be Bop Deluxe and Blue Oyster Cult were playing the following evening, so everyone needed their sleep, plus who gave a shit about some hacks that used to play with Carlos Santana?) The truth is, the only reason anyone went was to hear Montrose, as VH were as yet unheard of and the twits in Journey were so bland that nobody could work up much enthusiasm for their vanilla pudding-like efforts. Besides, Montrose was no longer saddled with the screechy, empty-headed bellowing of Sammy Hagar by playing instrumentals, so the music was vastly improved in the first place.

RIP Ronnie. Your work on that first Edgar Winter Group album alone earned you my eternal respect.

17. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

Diamondjimi (03-04-2012)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-18-2017 @ 01:46 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Ronnie Montrose was a wonderful guitarist . Glad I got to see him twice in my lifetime . Sad about his passing .

The MONTROSE album , despite Sammy Hagar , was brilliant and very kick ass . RIP Ronnie Montrose .

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Thats a bummer! Saw him live about 5 years ago. R.I.P. RM

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

ignoring..the lead singer.

This is a great song. (actually prefer the Bullet Boys cover..to just help scrub away any sort of lame hagar shit)

definitely a classic van halen influence. . (JUST THE GUITAR WORK, NOTHING ELSE)

amazing that Hagar has got to work with Ronnie Montrose, Neil Schon, Eddie Van Halen, and Joe Satriani, and still finds a way to sound like shit. That seriously takes some "talent".

RIP Ronnie .

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    06-21-2021 @ 10:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I have written this story before gonna do it again...

When I was about 14 (1974 ) I went to a buds house to smoke a doobie this buds older brother perhaps 4 years older, played guitar. I had met the older brother once but had never been to my new "dope smoking with" ftriends house (parents house).

So we go to, house after school, the brothers room and start rolling some smoke and his brother cues up this new album cleans the LP with a brush cleaner and windex, he just got this LP, and was telling us how awesome the guitarist was...The album was Montrose, we get stoned and bigbrother plays actually really good along with Ronnie mainly rythm bar cords and such .

The story is told because this is the first time I had ever heard a -live electric guitar-, he played a Gibson SG. I thought the album was great and everything about that experience was cool as shit for a 14 year old punk.

I honestly didn't like the singer ( no idea for years who he even was)... at all, but saw and heard what everyone did the guitarist was a true legend even this early on.

RIP....... and thanks Ronnie for some great memories.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2020 @ 07:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

paper money was awesome, amongst others....RIP Ronnie.....

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 06:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

That sucks, god damm cancer claims another, RIP Ronnie....

Slash, Peter Frampton + Others React on Twitter
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash...roses-death-2/

It didn't take long for rock luminaries and music insiders to react on Twitter. Here's a sampling (we'll have more as they're posted).

Peter Frampton (@peterframpton): Saddened to hear the passing of friend Ronnie Montrose. He was a wonderful person & an amazing guitar player, I will miss you dear Ronnie.

Slash (@Slash): Myles just told me Ronnie Montrose passed. fn' shame. “Montrose” is one of the all time great R&R albums. Major influence. RIP man. IiiI; )'

Nikki Sixx (@NikkiSixx): Ronnie Montrose's first two “Montrose” albums & his work with Edger Winter changed my musical life forever.RIP.

Dee Snider (@deesnider): Just found out that the legendary Ronnie Montrose died. That first Montrose album was life changing for me. #RIPRonnieMontrose

kipwinger (@kipwinger): I had the pleasure of working w/ Ronnie not too long ago.He was a real gem,very giving & very talented.A great loss to the world. RIP Ronnie

matt sorum (@mattsorum): Lost the great Ronnie Montrose. Check out the first couple of Montrose records if you don't know him. Classic and great. RIP Ronnie

Eddie Trunk (@EddieTrunk): Woke 2 very sad news Ronnie Montrose has passed away from cancer at 64. He created one of the all time landmark hard rock albums w/ debut LP

Steve Lukather (@stevelukather): My heart goes out to Ronnie Montrose and his family. Monster player and really nice guy. He will be missed…

David Ellefson (@ellefsondavid): RIP Ronnie Montrose!!! I had the pleasure of playing bass for him circa 2005-07. Such a powerhouse human being

Glenn Hughes (@glenn_hughes): Just heard that my good friend Ronnie Montrose has passed away….I'm speechless…RIP my brother…you will be missed @ the Hughes's…GH

David Ellefson (@ellefsondavid): RIP Ronnie Montrose!!! I had the pleasure of playing bass for him circa 2005-07. Such a powerhouse human being

Nonpoint (@nonpoint): Another legend gone Rest In Peace Ronnie Montrose

Myles Kennedy (@MylesKennedy): Sad to hear Ronnie Montrose passed away. Rock Candy was one of the first songs I ever learned.
    Last edited by Full Bug; 03-04-2012 at 02:49 PM.

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I am going to stretch this into one of the staple albums owned by every friend I had in the 70's.

and play a song that I am not sure how much Ronnie contributed to, but this album is some fine work with Edgar Winter and Ronnie.

Album : They Only Come Out At Night.... album included Free Ride, Frankenstien ..monumental tunes.

Tune: Round and Round

this tune Rools!

Don't get scared metal heads it's chill......

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

A smoking version of the title cut from Open Fire, again from 1978.

"Mandolina", also from Open Fire. This still sounds amazing with headphones.

"Black Train" and "Twenty Flight Rock" from the outstanding Warner Brothers Presents album, the first after Hagar was fired and replaced with Bob James.

26. Thanked chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (03-05-2012)

Cubic Zirconia
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-17-2012 @ 11:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Despite what we think about Sammy...
    Montrose was one heck of an album, with great vocals, accompanied with one of the greatest and most underated guitar players.

-Rest In Peace Ronnie Montrose-

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Sad as shit. That first MONTROSE album is fantastic. I just listened to it with the wife while we were (no kidding) putting the crib together. I could care less about who is singing. Those are great tunes, and the deep tone of the guitar and amazing riffs...Templeman's production.

Too many goddamn shitty rock 'n' roll deaths. Also been listening to plenty of MONKEES this week.

Sammy Hagar was bitching about Ronnie Montrose last time he was on THAT METAL SHOW some months back. Let's see him do another ridiculous 180.

R.I.P. Ronnie.

29. 3 users say thank you to Rikk for this KICKASS post:

bantonelli (03-05-2012),Diamondjimi (03-06-2012),Unchainme (03-04-2012)

Fools, I Live With Fools
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2015 @ 05:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikk View Post
    Sad as shit. That first MONTROSE album is fantastic. I just listened to it with the wife while we were (no kidding) putting the crib together. I could care less about who is singing. Those are great tunes, and the deep tone of the guitar and amazing riffs...Templeman's production.

Too many goddamn shitty rock 'n' roll deaths. Also been listening to plenty of MONKEES this week.

Sammy Hagar was bitching about Ronnie Montrose last time he was on THAT METAL SHOW some months back. Let's see him do another ridiculous 180.

R.I.P. Ronnie.
    Thinking the same thing..saw what he said about him on The Metal Show, and mentioned it on Sammy's facebook "remembrance" page. This should make The Ched Chunker shut his negative pie-hole for good....or not. Unless he says Chickenfoot is better..man for man...than heavens musicians.

LIGHT EM UP!!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2015 @ 07:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

i just scratch my head when i hear somebody dies of prostate cancer, who obviously has the resources to at least get checkups...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    So what the fuck did he say ??

Just Me And My Ganja....
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 06:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks

SAMMY HAGAR: 'It's A Shame To Lose RONNIE MONTROSE' - Mar. 4, 2012

Former VAN HALEN and current CHICKENFOOT singer Sammy Hagar has commented on the passing of his former bandmate Ronnie Montrose (MONTROSE, GAMMA), who died yesterday (Saturday, March 3) after a five-year battle with prostate cancer. He was 64 years old.

Said Hagar in a statement posted on his official web site: "Ronnie Montrose gave me my first break as a songwriter, as a frontman, as a recording artist, as a touring artist, and for that I will always be grateful.

"I was looking forward to a reunion for my birthday bash in Cabo with Denny [Carnassi, drums], Bill [Church, bass] and Ronnie — one of the few bands from that era where all four original members were still able to do it.

"It's a shame to lose Ronnie and I'm so sorry for his loved ones. Rest in peace."

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Full Bug View Post

"...my birthday bash..."
    It's all about the Sammy.

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-25-2015 @ 02:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 850 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Full Bug View Post
    SAMMY HAGAR: 'It's A Shame To Lose RONNIE MONTROSE' - Mar. 4, 2012

Former VAN HALEN and current CHICKENFOOT singer Sammy Hagar has commented on the passing of his former bandmate Ronnie Montrose (MONTROSE, GAMMA), who died yesterday (Saturday, March 3) after a five-year battle with prostate cancer. He was 64 years old.

Said Hagar in a statement posted on his official web site: "Ronnie Montrose gave me my first break as a songwriter, as a frontman, as a recording artist, as a touring artist, and for that I will always be grateful.

"I was looking forward to a reunion for my birthday bash in Cabo with Denny [Carnassi, drums], Bill [Church, bass] and Ronnie — one of the few bands from that era where all four original members were still able to do it.

"It's a shame to lose Ronnie and I'm so sorry for his loved ones. Rest in peace."
    "me", "my", "I", "my birthday party"....is it even possible for this guy to be any more of a self-obsessed fucking prick?
    Not even things like paying respects to SOMEBODY ELSE can stop this overrated fuckface from making it obvious that he lives inside of his own asshole.
    Way to go Sam! You're a real class act!

R.I.P. Ronnie

36. 6 users say thank you to hambon4lif for this KICKASS post:

bantonelli (03-05-2012),Catfish (03-07-2012),Dave's Bitch (03-07-2012),DLR Bridge (03-05-2012),FORD (03-09-2012),NIN1211 (03-05-2012)

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Maybe Spammy Haggis causes Cancer................??? :O

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matt White View Post
    Maybe Spammy Haggis causes Cancer................??? :O
    Hearing him sing every night would be equal to living in an MRI machine. The general surgeon needs to put a label on this clown.
    Last edited by SNIPER; 03-05-2012 at 12:10 AM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    I really wasn't all that familiar with Montrose. Man. The guy was a smoooooth guitar player.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-24-2022 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I heard the news on radio tonight and was stunned. I've been listening to the 1st 2 GAMMA albums in heavy rotation since I posted this Jan 26th:

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showt...full-show-1979

That show got pulled but here is another.
    Last edited by GreenBayLA; 03-05-2012 at 02:43 AM.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

This sucks ! I loved his playing. Open Fire is classic. And the first Montrose album. Music From Hear was cool. I seen him on that tour. His wife was playing drums !! She was awesome. Talked to him affter the show for about a half hour sitting on the edge of the stage. Nice guy !! He signed some stuff for me & my brother who loves him more than anyone !! Seen him with Sam a few years back with the original guys & they kicked ass !! Blew away Sam's band !! He should have fired them after the show and begged Ronnie to make a new album with him !! RIP Ronnie, thanks for the great tunes !!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2021 @ 12:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks

RIP Ronnie. His albums are legendary, despite Bette's voice. It's the ONLY way I can tolerate it.

Bob James soon after became the voice of Montrose and Rocked it hard!!

Ronnie, you will always be a San Francisco Rock Legend. Get on your Bad Motor Scooter and ride to heaven..

The Good,The Bad,&TheUgly
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2016 @ 01:10 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Panamark View Post
    I wonder if Hagar actually goes to the memorial ?

And if he does, can he make a speech about Ronnie and
    not himself or Van Halen ?
    I'd love to see what happens......

RIP Ronnie.............

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I am amazed spamula didn't include the dates of his birthday bash and a link to his wabo swag and pirate stuff. TOOL!

45. Thanked clarathecarrot for this KICKASS post:

Zing! (03-06-2012)

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-31-2013 @ 09:11 AM
    Status
    Thanks

By Sammy Hagar
    March 6, 2012 11:45 AM ET

For me Ronnie's passing is the end of an era. Ronnie Montrose gave me my first break as a songwriter, as a front man, as a recording artist and as a touring artist, and for that I will always be grateful. The first Montrose album was the first album I ever recorded and it still stands as one of the best recordings I have ever been a part of. I wrote songs with him, but it was his trip. He's the guy that got me to sing with him. I had no experience whatsoever; I just wrote the first four songs in my life, which were "Bad Motor Scooter," "Make It Last," "One Thing on My Mind," and "I Don't Want It," played them for Ronnie upon first meeting, shook my hand, and said, "Let's start a band." I went from zero to a hundred.

I saw him at Winterland with the Edgar Winter Group, [touring in support of] They Only Come Out at Night, with "Free Ride" and "Frankenstein." I didn't know who he was; I didn't know anything about him. I had a soul band – we were playing Tower of Power and James Brown – and we sat there and watched Edgar Winter. I told my guitar player, "I want you to be like that" – like Ronnie Montrose. And he's going, "I don't want to play that kind of music," and I'm going, "Well, I do." We got into it. It broke my band up, seeing Ronnie for the first time. I said, "I'm going to be like that guy. I'm going to play guitar like that and I'm going to sing like…the way I sing."

I was talking to a guy a couple of days after the show, and he said, "That's Ronnie Montrose, and that was his last show. He lives in Sausalito." I lived in San Francisco, and I said, "Do you have his address?" because I didn't even have a phone. He gave it to me, and I went and knocked on his door, dressed like David Bowie – big old high heel platform shoes, satin pants, probably had make-up on, with a Les Paul and a notebook pad with all kinds of lyrics in it. I said, "I'm Sammy Hagar. I heard you're looking for a singer." He said, "Come on in. You got any songs?" I played him my four songs, we shook hands, and he said, "Let's start a band. Do you know any drummers? I've got a bass player, Bill Church." I had a drummer, Denny Carmassi – wasn't in my band, but he was my favorite drummer around town.

Within a month we were signed to Warner Bros. Records, Ted Templeman producing, and the first Montrose album was born a month after that. It was the fastest thing I've ever done in my life. Like I said, I went from zero to a hundred in the blink of an eye – all because of Ronnie.

He was a changeling. Ronnie never liked to stick with anything. We made one of the greatest hard rock/heavy metal albums of all time with that first Montrose album, and then he didn't want to do that anymore. "Nah, nah, we've got to have better songs, we've got to change our image, that kind of music is out." Boy, he was just laying it on us. Ronnie really liked to change – immediately. We butted heads and I got thrown out of the band [after one more album, 1974's Paper Money], but I carried on with that "first Ronnie Montrose" I saw. What I learned from Ronnie Montrose, I still utilize today when I step on a stage. I try to keep the energy up and the entertainment high.

The first time Eddie Van Halen and I met, it was around 1977. We were on a stadium show with Boston, Black Sabbath, myself, Van Halen. He came to my dressing room, and said, "I'm a Montrose freak, I love the band!" And Ted Templeman told me, when he signed Van Halen, they were called something else, and he wanted to name them after the guitar player. He said on the first Van Halen record, he took the first Montrose record in there and said, "Boom. We're going to have eight great songs, they're going to be this long, they're going to be this tempo." And pretty much patterned the whole thing after it – right down to saying, "Why don't you guys get Sammy Hagar to sing in this band? He's been thrown out of Montrose." That's a true story!

Eddie had a totally new twist on the whole guitar style thing, but as far as the chording goes – not his soloing as much as the chording – yeah, he took some of that big open chord thing [from Montrose]. The big open A, the big open D, the big open E. Everything as open as you could make it, to make it as heavy as possible with one guitar. And that was pretty much Ronnie's style, too. And of course the fire, too – Van Halen came out with all that fire, which is Ronnie. Ronnie was full of fire, man.

[I last spoke to Montrose] a couple of weeks ago, and about a week before that, and then four or five days before that. We were talking a lot, because we were planning a Montrose reunion for my birthday in Cabo this year. Montrose, the whole band, has not been there. Denny's been there, Bill's been there, Ronnie's been there – but [the whole band together] has never been there. I said to Ronnie, "Come on, man. We're all getting old. Let's do this again while we can." And he was in, we were all in. On my 65th, on October 13th, I was planning on coming out with Montrose, doing the whole first album, then going in with my other band, and then bringing Chickenfoot out. I was going to try to [cover] my whole four decades for the fans that night, without nobody knowing. And Ronnie was in. It's crazy. I even played back on my message box, February 10th – "Hagar, Ronzo…call me back!" It was all good. It's fucked up that those songs will never be played by those four members again. Songs can go forever, but we can't.

[I would like Montrose to be remembered] as one of the pioneers of American heavy/hard rock. And certainly, one of the great hard rock guitar players. But he was more than that – he was really versatile. But if you're going to remember him for anything, put on that first Montrose record.

The only positive I can grab onto is the fact that the music will live on. It's a shame to lose Ronnie and I'm so sorry for his loved ones. Rest in peace.

47. Thanked Yount for this KICKASS post:

VanHalenI (03-06-2012)

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-31-2013 @ 09:11 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Sorry it's so long.

As you can see, Sammy waffles on and on about himself and even Eddie Van Halen.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The first time Eddie Van Halen and I met, it was around 1977. We were on a stadium show with Boston, Black Sabbath, myself, Van Halen. He came to my dressing room, and said, "I'm a Montrose freak, I love the band!" And Ted Templeman told me, when he signed Van Halen, they were called something else, and he wanted to name them after the guitar player. He said on the first Van Halen record, he took the first Montrose record in there and said, "Boom. We're going to have eight great songs, they're going to be this long, they're going to be this tempo." And pretty much patterned the whole thing after it – right down to saying, "Why don't you guys get Sammy Hagar to sing in this band? He's been thrown out of Montrose." That's a true story!

WHAT A FUCKIN DOUCHE.....I will never mention the fat fuckers name again..So He was asked to be in VH in 77?? VH was copying Montrose??

50. Thanked Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

sadaist (03-06-2012)

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yount View Post
    Sorry it's so long.

As you can see, Sammy waffles on and on about himself and even Eddie Van Halen.

For the love of God Sammy....shut the fuck up!

Me...My....Sammy Hagar....I....Myself.....My birthday.....and on & on & on

He realizes he is supposed to be sharing his thoughts on a guy that died & not writing his own autobiography here? Fucking self promoting jerkwad chump.

And yeah, Montrose was cool & all but the majority of anyone will only know the songs Rock Candy & Bad Motor Scooter and very few of them will even know who the fuck the band was that played them. Suddenly the guy dies & everyone is acting like he was Hendrix or something. Sorry, but if he was so fucking great he would have made a name for himself other than "that cool first album back in the 70's". hate to dig on him cause I like the tunes. But not that much. Christ people. Respect the guy but be real about his influence.

LOL....EVH stole his style from Ronnie Montrose and got the idea of the band name from him. I suppose Montrose also invented the personal computer & cellular phone. Why the fuck not.....

Thread Information