Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clarathecarrot
    Full Member Status

• May 2010

I have written this story before gonna do it again...

When I was about 14 (1974 ) I went to a buds house to smoke a doobie this buds older brother perhaps 4 years older, played guitar. I had met the older brother once but had never been to my new "dope smoking with" ftriends house (parents house).

So we go to, house after school, the brothers room and start rolling some smoke and his brother cues up this new album cleans the LP with a brush cleaner and windex, he just got this LP, and was telling us how awesome the guitarist was...The album was Montrose, we get stoned and bigbrother plays actually really good along with Ronnie mainly rythm bar cords and such .

The story is told because this is the first time I had ever heard a -live electric guitar-, he played a Gibson SG. I thought the album was great and everything about that experience was cool as shit for a 14 year old punk.

I honestly didn't like the singer ( no idea for years who he even was)... at all, but saw and heard what everyone did the guitarist was a true legend even this early on.

RIP....... and thanks Ronnie for some great memories.
    2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
    clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• dazzlindino
      Head Fluffer
      • Jul 2009

paper money was awesome, amongst others....RIP Ronnie.....
      I want my music waking up the dead.....dont tell me to turn it down

Comment

• Full Bug
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

That sucks, god damm cancer claims another, RIP Ronnie....

Slash, Peter Frampton + Others React on Twitter

It didn't take long for rock luminaries and music insiders to react on Twitter. Here's a sampling (we'll have more as they're posted).

Peter Frampton (@peterframpton): Saddened to hear the passing of friend Ronnie Montrose. He was a wonderful person & an amazing guitar player, I will miss you dear Ronnie.

Slash (@Slash): Myles just told me Ronnie Montrose passed. fn' shame. “Montrose” is one of the all time great R&R albums. Major influence. RIP man. IiiI; )'

Nikki Sixx (@NikkiSixx): Ronnie Montrose's first two “Montrose” albums & his work with Edger Winter changed my musical life forever.RIP.

Dee Snider (@deesnider): Just found out that the legendary Ronnie Montrose died. That first Montrose album was life changing for me. #RIPRonnieMontrose

kipwinger (@kipwinger): I had the pleasure of working w/ Ronnie not too long ago.He was a real gem,very giving & very talented.A great loss to the world. RIP Ronnie

matt sorum (@mattsorum): Lost the great Ronnie Montrose. Check out the first couple of Montrose records if you don't know him. Classic and great. RIP Ronnie

Eddie Trunk (@EddieTrunk): Woke 2 very sad news Ronnie Montrose has passed away from cancer at 64. He created one of the all time landmark hard rock albums w/ debut LP

Steve Lukather (@stevelukather): My heart goes out to Ronnie Montrose and his family. Monster player and really nice guy. He will be missed…

David Ellefson (@ellefsondavid): RIP Ronnie Montrose!!! I had the pleasure of playing bass for him circa 2005-07. Such a powerhouse human being

Glenn Hughes (@glenn_hughes): Just heard that my good friend Ronnie Montrose has passed away….I'm speechless…RIP my brother…you will be missed @ the Hughes's…GH

David Ellefson (@ellefsondavid): RIP Ronnie Montrose!!! I had the pleasure of playing bass for him circa 2005-07. Such a powerhouse human being

Nonpoint (@nonpoint): Another legend gone Rest In Peace Ronnie Montrose

Myles Kennedy (@MylesKennedy): Sad to hear Ronnie Montrose passed away. Rock Candy was one of the first songs I ever learned.
        Last edited by Full Bug; 03-04-2012, 03:49 PM.
        Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• clarathecarrot
          Full Member Status

• May 2010

I am going to stretch this into one of the staple albums owned by every friend I had in the 70's.

and play a song that I am not sure how much Ronnie contributed to, but this album is some fine work with Edgar Winter and Ronnie.

Album : They Only Come Out At Night.... album included Free Ride, Frankenstien ..monumental tunes.

Tune: Round and Round

this tune Rools!

Don't get scared metal heads it's chill......

2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
          clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

A smoking version of the title cut from Open Fire, again from 1978.

"Mandolina", also from Open Fire. This still sounds amazing with headphones.

"Black Train" and "Twenty Flight Rock" from the outstanding Warner Brothers Presents album, the first after Hagar was fired and replaced with Bob James.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• VanHalenI
              Roadie
              • Dec 2010

Despite what we think about Sammy...
              Montrose was one heck of an album, with great vocals, accompanied with one of the greatest and most underated guitar players.

-Rest In Peace Ronnie Montrose-
              I had some crazy vision, one I can't deny it
              It said "Open your eyes. Leave it all behind."

Comment

• Rikk
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Sad as shit. That first MONTROSE album is fantastic. I just listened to it with the wife while we were (no kidding) putting the crib together. I could care less about who is singing. Those are great tunes, and the deep tone of the guitar and amazing riffs...Templeman's production.

Too many goddamn shitty rock 'n' roll deaths. Also been listening to plenty of MONKEES this week.

Sammy Hagar was bitching about Ronnie Montrose last time he was on THAT METAL SHOW some months back. Let's see him do another ridiculous 180.

R.I.P. Ronnie.
                Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• NIN1211
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Rikk
                  Sad as shit. That first MONTROSE album is fantastic. I just listened to it with the wife while we were (no kidding) putting the crib together. I could care less about who is singing. Those are great tunes, and the deep tone of the guitar and amazing riffs...Templeman's production.

Too many goddamn shitty rock 'n' roll deaths. Also been listening to plenty of MONKEES this week.

Sammy Hagar was bitching about Ronnie Montrose last time he was on THAT METAL SHOW some months back. Let's see him do another ridiculous 180.

R.I.P. Ronnie.
                  Thinking the same thing..saw what he said about him on The Metal Show, and mentioned it on Sammy's facebook "remembrance" page. This should make The Ched Chunker shut his negative pie-hole for good....or not. Unless he says Chickenfoot is better..man for man...than heavens musicians.

Hey psycho, please get out of my Van Halen T-shirt before you jinx the band and they break up.

Comment

• chi-town324
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Feb 2007

i just scratch my head when i hear somebody dies of prostate cancer, who obviously has the resources to at least get checkups...

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

So what the fuck did he say ??

Comment

• Full Bug
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jan 2004

SAMMY HAGAR: 'It's A Shame To Lose RONNIE MONTROSE' - Mar. 4, 2012

Former VAN HALEN and current CHICKENFOOT singer Sammy Hagar has commented on the passing of his former bandmate Ronnie Montrose (MONTROSE, GAMMA), who died yesterday (Saturday, March 3) after a five-year battle with prostate cancer. He was 64 years old.

Said Hagar in a statement posted on his official web site: "Ronnie Montrose gave me my first break as a songwriter, as a frontman, as a recording artist, as a touring artist, and for that I will always be grateful.

"I was looking forward to a reunion for my birthday bash in Cabo with Denny [Carnassi, drums], Bill [Church, bass] and Ronnie — one of the few bands from that era where all four original members were still able to do it.

"It's a shame to lose Ronnie and I'm so sorry for his loved ones. Rest in peace."
                        Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Full Bug

"...my birthday bash..."
                          It's all about the Sammy.

Comment

• hambon4lif
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Full Bug
                            SAMMY HAGAR: 'It's A Shame To Lose RONNIE MONTROSE' - Mar. 4, 2012

Former VAN HALEN and current CHICKENFOOT singer Sammy Hagar has commented on the passing of his former bandmate Ronnie Montrose (MONTROSE, GAMMA), who died yesterday (Saturday, March 3) after a five-year battle with prostate cancer. He was 64 years old.

Said Hagar in a statement posted on his official web site: "Ronnie Montrose gave me my first break as a songwriter, as a frontman, as a recording artist, as a touring artist, and for that I will always be grateful.

"I was looking forward to a reunion for my birthday bash in Cabo with Denny [Carnassi, drums], Bill [Church, bass] and Ronnie — one of the few bands from that era where all four original members were still able to do it.

"It's a shame to lose Ronnie and I'm so sorry for his loved ones. Rest in peace."
                            "me", "my", "I", "my birthday party"....is it even possible for this guy to be any more of a self-obsessed fucking prick?
                            Not even things like paying respects to SOMEBODY ELSE can stop this overrated fuckface from making it obvious that he lives inside of his own asshole.
                            Way to go Sam! You're a real class act!

R.I.P. Ronnie

Comment

• Matt White
                              • Jun 2004

Maybe Spammy Haggis causes Cancer................??? :O

Comment

• SNIPER
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
                                Maybe Spammy Haggis causes Cancer................??? :O
                                Hearing him sing every night would be equal to living in an MRI machine. The general surgeon needs to put a label on this clown.
                                Last edited by SNIPER; 03-05-2012, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Working...