Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    01-11-2013 @ 06:56 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Wow

I had no clue that Gene Simmons was the one to get Van Halen signed to a record lable. I love to dress up as Gene for Halloween....The sad part is that people say that I remind them of him without the make up. My mother was the one who first started to like him, she'd sit and watch him on TV and I'd say; Do you like Gene Simmons? She'd be like yea. I was in shock because she doesn't not seem the type, but then again I just asked her if she liked Dave better than Elvis and she said yea with a little hesitation or embarasment...Gene always scared me growing up but I guess my mom was right...It's good to be Gene! I think all the mothers of us 80's chicks had to be closet David Lee Roth fans.....you know it was hard enough for our dads to accept this type of look and behavior let alone to find out their wives were drooling over him too? Not in my Italian family! Hey at least my dad didn't tear down Daves posters like he did to our Andy Gibb pictures on the walls....I guess we were a little to young to like boys back then.....Perfact Timming Dave! Cheers! Love, love ,love that song!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

He didn't, he FAILED to get them a deal.....
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

3. 3 users say thank you to Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

bantonelli (03-07-2012),Golden AWe (03-07-2012),jhale667 (03-07-2012)

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    He didn't, he FAILED to get them a deal.....
    Yup...he tried and failed. If memory serves Simmons shopped it to Aucoin, Aucoin passed, and Gene gave the tape back to the boys and sent them on their way.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

I think Ed even said Aucoin was getting his shoes shined while he told'em nope.

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-17-2015 @ 12:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

One of my bigger =VH= pet peeves. I hate articles that toss in the "...discovered by Gene Simmons of Kiss..." as fact. Like this one from the Uncasville review:

"...The group had its origins in Southern California in 1973 where the Van Halen family with a musician father relocated to in 1967 from the Netherlands, and played the bar circuit for a few years. The Van Halen brothers actually started off playing each other’s instruments. Kiss’s Gene Simmons helped them get signed to a record deal."

Gene noticed them. Tried to help them out. Didn't work. End of story. Ted Templeman and Mo Austin discovered them.

7. Thanked Zing! for this KICKASS post:

kwame k (03-07-2012)

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    I think Ed even said Aucoin was getting his shoes shined while he told'em nope.
    And if the shoe shine guy was attractive there's also a chance that Bill was trying to get his knob polished at the same time....

9. Thanked fryingdutchman for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (03-07-2012)

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-17-2015 @ 12:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Here's the story according to Ed.

EVH: "Ah, I was getting to that. We just kept playing, doing our Civic shows and clubs and stuff like that, and then we got into playing the Starwood and the Whiskey because Rodney Bingenheimer, who's a big wheel in the L.A. music scene, saw us. He said, "Sh*t, you guys are all right. Why don't you play at the Starwood?" So we played there for maybe four or five months, and one day Marshall Berle, who's now our manager, saw us. He's Milton Berle's nephew. He didn't tell us who was there. He just said, "Hey, there's some people out here to see you. Play good." At that time he really had nothing to do with us. Edward Van Halen before his first major interview He was just working his way into having something to do for us. It ends up that we played a good set in front of no people, an empty house at the Starwood on a rainy Monday night. We got done with the set, and we're all going, "Hey, it was a good set. All right, guys!" All of a sudden Marshall walks in with [producer] Ted Templeman and [Warner Bros. executive] Mo Austin. I mean, it was heavy. Because I remember talking to other bands, and they've always been trying to get Ted to produce their records, but he only works inside of Warner Brothers. He doesn't produce other acts. And there he was. He said, "Hey, it was great, man." And within a week we were signed. It was right out of the movies, man, because really? Well, we made a tape once with Gene Simmons from Kiss. We flew to New York with them, and nothing really ever came of it, because we didn't know where the hell to take our tape. So we had a bitchin' sounding tape - the world's most expensive demo tape, which he paid for. We didn't know where to take it. We didn't start walking around knocking on people's doors, pushing ourselves on them, saying, "Hey, sign us, sign us!" We just kept playing everywhere, and eventually they came to us."

On Fire
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-22-2021 @ 02:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Rodney Bingenheimer saw Van Halen at the Gazzarri club in the summer of 1976, He took Gene Simmons of Kiss to see Van Halen. Gene Simmons then produced a Van Halen demo tape with recording beginning at the Village Recorder studios in Los Angeles and finished with overdubs at the Electric Lady Studios in New York. Simmons wanted to change the band's name to "Daddy Longlegs", but the band stuck with Van Halen. Simmons then opted out of further involvement after he took the demo to Kiss management and was told that "they had no chance of making it" and that they wouldn't take them

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adena dodds View Post
    Perfact Timming Dave!
    Perfact timming for the dummp...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2021 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Two Biggest Myths in Van Halen History:

1) Gene Simmons got VH signed to Warner Brothers

2) Dave's ego is the reason VH split up in 1985

14. 4 users say thank you to TJMKID for this KICKASS post:

fwacf (03-08-2012),jhale667 (03-07-2012),ThatArtGuy (03-08-2012),VAiN (03-07-2012)

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    05-04-2018 @ 11:46 AM
    Status
    Thanks

According to Ed, Simmons really wanted Ed to join kiss, was that prior to the demo tape or later?

one pug one life
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    So I guess Gene was playing it up in that interview. I think it was Van Halens ego that was the cause of Van Halen's split up with Dave. Let's face, it most of us went to see David Lee Roth perform with that sexy body of his and that sexy savage hair and just his presence alone was all we ever needed! To be honest we kinda laughed at the other band members....shhh, don't tell anyone. We were bad. Let's face,.... it there wasn't too many good looking front men to write home about....That's when you start looking at the other band members.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    Two Biggest Myths in Van Halen History:

1) Gene Simmons got VH signed to Warner Brothers

2) Dave's ego is the reason VH split up in 1985

one pug one life
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    And then came Bon Jovi and Brett Michaels, Sebastian Back....Dave started the trend. I don't care what they say....He's a trail blazer!
    So I guess Gene was playing it up in that interview. I think it was Van Halens ego that was the cause of Van Halen's split up with Dave. Let's face, it most of us went to see David Lee Roth perform with that sexy body of his and that sexy savage hair and just his presence alone was all we ever needed! To be honest we kinda laughed at the other band members....shhh, don't tell anyone. We were bad. Let's face,.... it there wasn't too many good looking front men to write home about....That's when you start looking at the other band members.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-12-2014 @ 11:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 757 Posts

And then came Bon Jovi and Brett Michaels,
    Please refrain from saying these things.

thank you,
    everyone

19. Thanked ThrillsNSpills for this KICKASS post:

fwacf (03-08-2012)

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redozzman View Post
    According to Ed, Simmons really wanted Ed to join kiss, was that prior to the demo tape or later?
    Which is different than the story that $immons tells.....

He claims around Fair Warning (?) that Ed was so frustrated with Dave that he asked to join Ki$$. Gene told him to stay in Van Halen.

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Aucoin managed my band in 99-00 . I used to pick his brain about that all the time. He did not like Roth and the "outer space" guitar work, He thought it would never sell.. Bill told me that was one of his biggest mistakes he ever made. That and GnR.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,285 Times in 4,714 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
    Aucoin managed my band in 99-00 . I used to pick his brain about that all the time. He did not like Roth and the "outer space" guitar work, He thought it would never sell.. Bill told me that was one of his biggest mistakes he ever made. That and GnR.
    He must have kicked himself just as hard as that guy at Decca records in the UK who turned down The Beatles because "guitar groups are on the way out"

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bill had us opening for Crue. He would go on tour with us as long as we fed him coke. We were on our way up until he crossed the line big time. He pulled a lot of shit with us. The final straw was him drugging my lead singer and trying to rape him. We held back from beating the shit out of him and just drove him to the next airport and tossed him out of the van. Never talked to him again. Fucking sleaze bag.
    Last edited by SNIPER; 03-07-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post
    Which is different than the story that $immons tells.....

He claims around Fair Warning (?) that Ed was so frustrated with Dave that he asked to join Ki$$. Gene told him to stay in Van Halen.
    I can believe that, as this was around the same time Ed and Valerie hit off, when she found Ed sobbing after a verbal beat down by Dave. I always have a good chuckle thinking about that... verbal sparring with Dave, what a nightmare!!! reduce a man to tears

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bill had us opening for Crue. He would go on tour with us as long as we fed him coke. We were on our way up until he crossed the line big time. He pulled a lot of shit with us. The final straw was him drugging my lead singer and trying to rape him. We held back from beating the shit out of him and just drove him to the next airport and tossed him out of the van. Never talked to him again. Fucking sleaze bag.
    Holy fuck, dude........

Why any of us are in the music biz is just wild considering the amount of bullshit we have to put up with just to play

26. Thanked kwame k for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (03-07-2012)

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 08:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Interesting! You should start a new tread: Sniper's Tales From the Road

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-27-2024 @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Geddy Lee also spoke highly of Gene and KISS in general. It seemed if you were an upcoming band and showed some talent, Gene was good about giving advice and even helping out. I mean Gene is a shameless merchandiser and bragger but a lot of bands like Van Halen and Rush say the guy was a big help early on in their careers.

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Holy fuck, dude........

Why any of us are in the music biz is just wild considering the amount of bullshit we have to put up with just to play
    I know, it was a huge let down. We looked up to him and trusted him of course.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I know, it was a huge let down. We looked up to him and trusted him of course.

....and thought that you were finally on your way, I bet!

When we almost got signed it was the highest of highs.....when it fell through it was devastating!

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

....and thought that you were finally on your way, I bet!

When we almost got signed it was the highest of highs.....when it fell through it was devastating!
    You know it, bro

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Holy fuck, dude........

I was just talking to someone who was around the San Fransisco music scene in the late 60's and early 70's. They still are good friends with Carlos Santana. Anyways this person had access to Hendrix's green room before a show and said the man was just face down on a table and everyone else in the room could care less about him. She said it almost made her cry and all the other people cared about was their drugs and to be on Jimi's coat tails. She said they give the person they are leaching off of drugs, women, whatever they want to control them. She blames Jimi's management and all the hanger ons for killing him. She was glad to get out of the music business and just said it can be a real form of slavery if you get the wrong people around you and it can kill you.

Jimi had no cash when he died. The leaches got it all. His poor landscaper father had to pay for the funeral because Jimi had no money.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-07-2012 at 02:41 PM.

33. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

kwame k (03-07-2012)

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I was just talking to someone who was around the San Fransisco music scene in the late 60's and early 70's. They still are good friends with Carlos Santana. Anyways this person had access to Hendrix's green room before a show and said the man was just face down on a table and everyone else in the room could care less about him. She said it almost made her cry and all the other people cared about was their drugs and to be on Jimi's coat tails. She said they give the person they are leaching off of drugs, women, whatever they want to control them. She blames Jimi's management and all the hanger ons for killing him. She was glad to get out of the music business and just said it can be a real form of slavery if you get the wrong people around you and it can kill you.

Jimi had no cash when he died. The leaches got it all. His poor landscaper father had to pay for the funeral because Jimi had no money.
    Holy shit! Fucking lame!!

fourthcoming
    In Dave's book, he makes it seem like Gene was out to pluck Ed and Al from VH....which is believable given the state of Kiss at that time. In Simmon's book he states Ed came to him in 1981-82 asking to join Kiss and Gene told him to stay with VH. Then again, Gene also said in his book how close he was to having the Beatles reunite to sing back up on his 1978 solo record....he said everyone was in except Ringo.

36. Thanked fourthcoming for this KICKASS post:

SNIPER (03-07-2012)

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post

Look at most of the big artists of the 50's and 60's.....the majority never made a penny! Some did decades later but that was the exception not the rule.

In a way I'm glad the record biz is dead and with social media anyone has a shot of making it now!

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fourthcoming View Post
    In Dave's book, he makes it seem like Gene was out to pluck Ed and Al from VH....which is believable given the state of Kiss at that time. In Simmon's book he states Ed came to him in 1981-82 asking to join Kiss and Gene told him to stay with VH. Then again, Gene also said in his book how close he was to having the Beatles reunite to sing back up on his 1978 solo record....he said everyone was in except Ringo.
    Wow, I did not know that. It would have been epic still even without Ringo.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

This is from a guy who has a pretty nice yacht berthed at Newport Beach, CA. I remember Ted Nugent saying he makes more money now as an independent than he ever did on a big label. He does his own booking and rents the venue himself. You have to have talent, you have to be business smart, and you have to work hard. Being a stoned, drunk baffoon breaking all the rules is actually an image that has no substance to it. It's a business and you have to be on top of it. I think the big trap many fall into is they want to be the big guy and the record labels exploit that one if you are exploitable.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I've heard the same story about Gene wanting Ed and Ed saying it was him and Al or nothing.

It's hard to believe anything that comes out of Gene's mouth.......

The Beatles.....really Gene?

I've heard of crazier things but my BS detector is going off!

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I've heard the same story about Gene wanting Ed and Ed saying it was him and Al or nothing.

It's hard to believe anything that comes out of Gene's mouth.......

The Beatles.....really Gene?

I've heard of crazier things but my BS detector is going off!
    Its almost like the Megadeth story. Dime telling Dave to bring in Vin or it's nothing. Thank god that didn't happen.

42. Thanked SNIPER for this KICKASS post:

kwame k (03-07-2012)

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No shit!

I couldn't see that working at all.

fourthcoming
    Yea......sometimes I guess you have to take what Gene says with a grain of salt. I have heard Gene and Paul say in numerous interviews that they idolized the Beatles. Would have been amazing to see them reunite for anything, let alone backing vocals on a Gene Simmons solo tune. Makes me think that perhaps in Gene's head and his head alone, he was close to having them re-unite for backing vocals on one of his tunes.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ki$$ was the biggest band on Earth so who knows!

From what I've seen and read.....the Beatles had patched things up by 72/73?

They might of done it for a laugh!

fourthcoming
    You never know....and I think your right about the Beatles....what do I know...it's not like I was there or anything, but a few years ago I bought an interesting bootleg from my record store guy. It's called A Toot and a snore in '74.....and it's called that cuz it's obvious from hearing the conversation that there was plenty of blow being passed around. Anyway, it was a recorded jam.....not anything great quite frankly cuz Lennon sounds completely rail blasted....but it's a jam session with Stevie wonder, Lennon, McCartney and a few other guys. It's supposedly the last time Lennon and McCartney ever played music together.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

For some reason I don't buy that.

The SNL gig yes " Paul McCartney has commented in interviews that he and John Lennon were watching the SNL broadcast from Lennon's apartment in the Dakota on the night when Michaels made his offer for the Beatles to reunite. McCartney reported that he and Lennon briefly toyed with the idea of going down to the NBC studios and taking Michaels up on the offer"

fourthcoming
    wow, I had never even heard about the whole SNL thing

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You never know....and I think your right about the Beatles....what do I know...it's not like I was there or anything, but a few years ago I bought an interesting bootleg from my record store guy. It's called A Toot and a snore in '74.....and it's called that cuz it's obvious from hearing the conversation that there was plenty of blow being passed around. Anyway, it was a recorded jam.....not anything great quite frankly cuz Lennon sounds completely rail blasted....but it's a jam session with Stevie wonder, Lennon, McCartney and a few other guys. It's supposedly the last time Lennon and McCartney ever played music together.
    Yep, Chef Craig posted it here a few times, IIRC.

Those boys were fucked to the gills

Thread Information