Thread: NFL 2012 Free Agency/Preseason Thread

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

NFL 2012 Free Agency/Preseason Thread

7.5 hours... tick, tick, tick...

Manning is really throwing a wrench into this... where's Matt Flynn going to wind up?
    Would have thought Miami was the most obvious destination.

Is Mario Williams worth the risk of a big contract after tearing his bicep last season.

Will the Eagles get silly again... or maybe they'll just chill?

Just read at PFT that BenJarvus Green-Ellis is going to hit the market.

Niners do a deal with Moss... who's gonna go after Vincent Jackson?
    Saints are trying to keep Colston.

Love this time of year... even more so after last years lock-out.

Mind-Roaster
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My big prediction....my Browns will make a big free agent splash today by signing...

...nobody.
    David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
    — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Jets extended Mark Sanchez' contract to run thru 2016. That means no Super Bowl for 5 more years.
    Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_R View Post
    The Jets extended Mark Sanchez' contract to run thru 2016. That means no Super Bowl for 5 more years.
    lol. I read something earlier that said Peyton was talking with Denver.

fourthcoming
    Sanchez is bangin' Kate Upton.....gotta give him that at least. I think he just threw another interception in the time it took for me to type this. Why doesn't Peyton have any interest in San Fran? Peyton is great, don't get me wrong....but 9-10 career playoff record. 5 times...one and done in the playoffs. I'm glad my team has the "other" Manning.
    Last edited by fourthcoming; 03-13-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fourthcoming View Post
    Sanchez is bangin' Kate Upton.....gotta give him that at least. I think he just threw another interception in the time it took for me to type this. Why doesn't Peyton have any interest in San Fran?
    San Fran will roll with Smith... Harbaugh does not want Manning coming in and disrupting what he built last year... that being said, the Moss signing is a bit of a surprise.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sometimes I wish the Jets would have drafted Freeman instead of Sanchez.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    lol. I read something earlier that said Peyton was talking with Denver.
    Already did. Then Arizona. Miami and Tennessee are next. I understand that if Houston jumps in they would have the inside track.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Already did. Then Arizona. Miami and Tennessee are next. I understand that if Houston jumps in they would have the inside track.
    Heard on the radio at lunch that Houston doesn't want him.
    I'm betting either Denver or Arizona... both have head coaches that will allow Peyton to run his offense.

I also heard that Seattle is gunning for Matt Flynn and Mario Williams... with Chicago being the most likely landing spot for Williams.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
    I'm betting either Denver or Arizona... both have head coaches that will allow Peyton to run his offense.

I also heard that Seattle is gunning for Matt Flynn and Mario Williams... with Chicago being the most likely landing spot for Williams.
    I bet Elway is slobbering all over his ignorant mug at the thought of having Peyton. I hate John Elway.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Apparently, the Miami meeting went poorly. Owner Steve Ross didn't even bother attending, which pretty much gave the kiss-of-death to any sort of deal. After a weekend of wining and dining with Arizona and Denver, the set up was more or less like a brief hangover breakfast at Denny's.

Then again, I really didn't see Manning as the cure-all for getting this team anywhere near the play offs, let alone the Super Bowl. Christ, I gave up on that pipe dream decades ago. One well placed shot to the neck and we are once again using a back up QB nobody has ever heard of, which has more or less been the Dolphins' plan of attack since Dan Marino retired.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Take a WR off the list... Marques Colston has re-upped with the Saints.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thanks for the update. Hadn't heard that Houston dropped out.

fourthcoming
    Arizona might be a good fit for Peyton. They didn't play bad football second half of last season.....he may be able to sling the ball around a little bit with that team. I hear what your saying about San Fran and Harbaugh.....especially since Harbaugh is an ex- QB and doesn't seem to share the same philosophy as Peyton when it comes to playing the position. I think Harbaugh has a bit of an ego too and whatever team grabs Peyton will have to cater to his offensive style.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thanks for the update. Hadn't heard that Houston dropped out.
    It is odd though, since the Texans just got rid of Matt Leinart.

Arizona might be a good fit for Peyton. They didn't play bad football second half of last season.....he may be able to sling the ball around a little bit with that team. I hear what your saying about San Fran and Harbaugh.....especially since Harbaugh is an ex- QB and doesn't seem to share the same philosophy as Peyton when it comes to playing the position. I think Harbaugh has a bit of an ego too and whatever team grabs Peyton will have to cater to his offensive style.
    It will also be interesting to see how Arizona figures in against the salary cap, which at this point puts them dead last in the league for spending ability. LINK

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Harbaugh took a back seat to Manning once in his career... he ain't gonna do it again.

fourthcoming
    Good point about Harbaugh Mr. Walker.. and Chef....I didn't realize Arizona was hurting that bad with the cap. I think Tampa is well under the cap....wonder how committed they are to their QB. I don't know if Peyton is considering Tampa at all. Maybe Peyton goes back to Tennesse to finish his career?

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not a free agent but Looks like Moss signed a one year deal with the 9er's.

Not sure why the fuck they would do that but whatever.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    OK, now my day is complete. In a bizarrely inexplicable move, the Dull-fins just unloaded 4 time Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Marshall to the Bears for a half bag of donuts (2 third round picks). Uh-huh, this probably was done to clear some cap space in order to try to sign Matt Flynn or Peyton Manning, but if you are trying to land either guy, would it not be a good idea to have at least one guy on the roster for them to throw the ball to?

At this point, I firmly believe Miami will sign neither QB, and we'll wind up with some loser like Rex Grossman, Mark Brunell, Vince Young, David Carr or more likely, A.J. Feeley (again). And owner Stephen Ross will have JLo or Fergie announce that was who we wanted all along.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Happy to read that the Lions did a long term deal with Megatron... 60mil guaranteed!!
    Scary if Stafford remains healthy and they find a solid RB... they should bring in BenJarvus!

Calvin Johnson gets 7 years, $132 million, $60 million guaranteed
    March 14, 2012 11:13 AM ET, by Michael David Smith

The Lions were willing to spend whatever it took to lock up wide receiver Calvin Johnson for years to come.

Johnson and the Lions are scheduled to announce a long-term contract extension this afternoon, and ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that it’s a seven-year deal worth $132 million, with $60 million guaranteed. That makes it the biggest contract in NFL history, surpassing Larry Fitzgerald’s contract with the Cardinals.

The Lions’ website pegs the deal as “a seven-year extension worth close to $130 million.” The site also says the contract reduces Johnson’s cap hit this year, meaning they’ll have more money available to re-sign linebacker Stephen Tulloch, who now looks like their top priority in free agency.

The $60 million “guarantee” may not be fully guaranteed: As we’ve seen many times with NFL contracts, guarantees can be less than advertised. But Johnson will clearly be among the highest-paid players in NFL history, and as staggering as the numbers look, Johnson is worth it. He’s only 26 years old and coming off a phenomenal season in which he caught 96 passes for 1,681 yards and 16 touchdowns, then turned in a brilliant performance in the playoff loss to the Saints. And Johnson is known as a consummate professional, hard worker and good teammate who doesn’t get in trouble off the field.

This looks like a deal that should make both sides happy.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    OK, now my day is complete. In a bizarrely inexplicable move, the Dull-fins just unloaded 4 time Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Marshall to the Bears for a half bag of donuts (2 third round picks). Uh-huh, this probably was done to clear some cap space in order to try to sign Matt Flynn or Peyton Manning, but if you are trying to land either guy, would it not be a good idea to have at least one guy on the roster for them to throw the ball to?

At this point, I firmly believe Miami will sign neither QB, and we'll wind up with some loser like Rex Grossman, Mark Brunell, Vince Young, David Carr or more likely, A.J. Feeley (again). And owner Stephen Ross will have JLo or Fergie announce that was who we wanted all along.
    Um, read the sports news buddy, there was a reason they unloaded him.....

Think Rocky....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Um, read the sports news buddy, there was a reason they unloaded him.....

Think Rocky....
    I knew he was bonkers and dropped about as many passes as he caught, but he was the only "good" receiver we had. And oddly enough, my local paper (which never hesitates when it comes to being overtly critical) completely failed to mention Marshall's personality disorder even once in the two articles published about the story this morning. Yeah, there are a good amount of receivers, tight ends and running backs out there available during free agency, but the majority of them look to be damaged goods or on the downside of their careers.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Twitter War!
    I hate Shockey... but I always like a dude that takes the gloves right off when it's time to fight... hahahaha!

Shockey shoots back at Toomer, dredges up his divorce
    March 15, 2012 10:40 AM ET, by Michael David Smith

We have a full-blown war of words between two former Giants teammates.

It started with this morning’s report that Jeremy Shockey wants to return to the Giants. That led former Giants receiver Amani Toomer to say the team should absolutely not bring Shockey back, calling Shockey a bad teammate and a worse person.

That led to Shockey going to town on Toomer on Twitter, going way beyond their time on the field as teammates and dragging in Toomer’s personal life.

“Yes remember when his ex divorced him and he urinated on a her cloths I guess he’s the good person,” Shockey wrote.

In 2007, Toomer’s divorce proceedings included an allegation from his ex-wife that Toomer acted “irrationally and outrageously” if she didn’t want to have sex, including once urinating on her clothes and once throwing her BlackBerry into the Hudson River.

In Shockey’s last game with the Giants, he suffered a broken fibula when Toomer rolled into the back of his leg. Shockey hasn’t forgiven Toomer for that.

“Well he was the lazy one that broke my leg!!” Shockey wrote.

Shockey also sent a message to Toomer on Twitter, saying, “Go get a bucket of rocks and start throwing them at your glass house.”

And, finally, Shockey suggested that the report about him wanting to return to the Giants is untrue.

“It’s funny how the Ny media still try’s to make money off me!” Shockey wrote. “Can anyone find a quote from me on me wanting to play for the GAINTS?”

Toomer will be a guest on today’s PFT Live. When you watch, we suggest getting your popcorn ready.

Armani Toomer in the house!

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Titans owner offers Peyton Manning 'contract for life'
    The Tennessee Titans are pulling out the stops to get Peyton Manning.

Titans owner Bud Adams has offered the star quarterback a "contract for life," to come to Tennessee, hoping to lure him with a front-office position with the team once his playing days are through, according to a Houston TV station.

Adams told KHOU Channel 11 on Wednesday he's not concerned about Manning's arm strength after his multiple neck surgeries that sidelined him for all of last season.

"I’m only concerned how strong it is in September, when he starts the regular season," Adams said, adding that much as he likes second-year quarterback Jake Locker -- whom the Titans drafted eighth overall last year -- the franchise had to "go for it" with Manning.

The Titans are believed to be among the final four teams in the running for the league's only four-time most valuable player, with the others being Denver, Arizona and Miami. The Titans could have an edge in that Manning was a college star at Tennessee, and Titans Coach Mike Munchak is a former blocker for Peyton's dad, Archie.

Peyton spent about eight hours at Titans headquarters Wednesday.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    The Titans could have an edge in that Manning was a college star at Tennessee, and Titans Coach Mike Munchak is a former blocker for Peyton's dad, Archie.

Peyton spent about eight hours at Titans headquarters Wednesday.
    On the face of things, the Titans have a competent, well-bodied cheer leading squad. But in terms of actual dexterity, they fail in comparison to Tampa Bay.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Now that the F-A-G-S Jets, Jets, Jets have signed Dirty Sanchez to the biggest 3 year mistake of a contract extension in NFL history Mrs. Sanchez has opened up about some off season comments made by unnamed teammates. "It is a gutless thing to do, if you're not going to put your name on something, why waste anybody's time? Obviously, they had strong opinions about it, but not strong enough to say who they were." Who knows Mrs. Sanchez, maybe they are leery to rip on the guy that carries Rex's lube city to city? Nice way to heal the rift on the only team that thinks you are worth a damn though, dumb fuck.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Chargers are working on replacing Vincent Jackson, they signed Eddie Royal

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Peyton Hillis signed with KC, I really thought Pitt would make a play for him, should be a solid RB duo for KC though if Charles can come back close to 100%. Now if they only had a QB.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Happy to read that the Lions did a long term deal with Megatron... 60mil guaranteed!!
    Scary if Stafford remains healthy and they find a solid RB... they should bring in BenJarvus!

Calvin Johnson gets 7 years, $132 million, $60 million guaranteed
    March 14, 2012 11:13 AM ET, by Michael David Smith

The Lions were willing to spend whatever it took to lock up wide receiver Calvin Johnson for years to come.

Johnson and the Lions are scheduled to announce a long-term contract extension this afternoon, and ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that it’s a seven-year deal worth $132 million, with $60 million guaranteed. That makes it the biggest contract in NFL history, surpassing Larry Fitzgerald’s contract with the Cardinals.

The Lions’ website pegs the deal as “a seven-year extension worth close to $130 million.” The site also says the contract reduces Johnson’s cap hit this year, meaning they’ll have more money available to re-sign linebacker Stephen Tulloch, who now looks like their top priority in free agency.

The $60 million “guarantee” may not be fully guaranteed: As we’ve seen many times with NFL contracts, guarantees can be less than advertised. But Johnson will clearly be among the highest-paid players in NFL history, and as staggering as the numbers look, Johnson is worth it. He’s only 26 years old and coming off a phenomenal season in which he caught 96 passes for 1,681 yards and 16 touchdowns, then turned in a brilliant performance in the playoff loss to the Saints. And Johnson is known as a consummate professional, hard worker and good teammate who doesn’t get in trouble off the field.

This looks like a deal that should make both sides happy.
    Stafford to Calvin will be making a run at the record books by the time they are done playing. I thank my lucky stars every time I think about the possibility of the Lions drafting Dirty Sanchez over Stafford that they chose Stafford, injury issues or not.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hold the phone people. The 49ers have been in contact with Peyton Manning. The sleeper team has crept in.

Sweet Talkin' Ladies Man
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Matt Flynn is a Seattle Seahawk.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, I had a feeling this (or something like it) would happen, and said so in the Peyton Manning thread around 11:30 this morning. The story broke here locally around dinner time.

Bring Back Flappo!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ESPN is reporting Peyton Manning has chosen the Broncos.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...os-sources-say

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Garrard to the Fins lol, I almost feel bad for the Fins, almost. Now they should trade for Tebow, he can pray that someday they find a real QB again.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I give up. GM Jeff Ireland is a walking, talking cancer. The word used to describe him most frequently around the Davie training facility is toxic, which also adequately defines the atmosphere surrounding this franchise for the past several years. Just think of the Dez Bryant interview ("So, is your mom a ho?") for starters. Look at the dubious coaching choices, then think of how the Jeremiah Bell situation ended. (For about two months, Ireland told team captain Bell he would never get cut. He was released without ceremony late yesterday.) Channing Crowder, Ryan Clark and Joey Porter (OK, hardly what you'd call league ambassadors) have publicly come out against Ireland and the Dolphins, with Porter being the most succinct (SOURCE):

"Jeff Ireland has a big part to do with it,'' Porter said when asked what the problem is with the Dolphins. "I don't think when you come in and you're being recruited by him you really believe the things that are coming out of his mouth. He's just a guy that is not trustworthy."
    Now the great QB search has landed David Garrard, a guy that is in the top five of the Rex Grossman/"Are You Shitting Me?" list of available team leaders. And the hits keep on coming. Christ, for the first time in my entire life, I wish I had to work on Sundays.

LIGHT EM UP!!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    yea Chef word around the league is that nobody wants to play for the dolphins

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chi-town324 View Post
    yea Chef word around the league is that nobody wants to play for the dolphins
    Oh, for fuck's sake, take a look at this, from my local paper this morning...

Disgruntled Miami Dolphins fans stage protest at team headquarters

By Izzy Gould

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

DAVIE, FLORIDA - Jason Lawrence stood on the Miami Dolphins' grounds Tuesday afternoon fed up with the franchise's direction.

A season-ticket holder since 1991, Lawrence said he used to save his lunch money to purchse tickets. He has only missed two or three games in more than 20 years, and in that time he never thought of protesting the franchise - until now.

"I'm not happy with the direction," Lawrence said. "I'm not happy with the front office, or any of the moves they've been doing."

The Dolphins, who declared their intention to sign an elite free-agent quarterback, could not land top targets Peyton Manning, or Matt Flynn.

The Dolphins announced Monday the signing of former Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback David Garrard, who missed the 2011 season after surgery for a herniated disc. That came after the release of leading tackler Yeremiah Bell, and after the Doklphins traded leading wide receiver Brandon Marshall to the Chicago Bears in exchange for two third-round draft picks.

For two fans wearing paperbags, who skipped work to protest calling in with the "stomach flu," Garrard's signing was the final blow.

"They're making things worse, and not making things better," said Mike M., 25, from Davie, who refused to give his last name.

Pablo M., 29 from Davie, also voiced his frustration, and would not give his last name.

"I mean, come on if we're gonna end up doing that, the one guy that we definitely have seen with the most production, at least on the defensive side," he said. "We got rid of one offensive guy, now on the defense as well? What are they leaving us to trust in?"

Protesters began to gather on the property of the Miami Dolphins' training facility Tuesday afternoon to voice their concerns with the direction of the franchise.

About 30 people, including four men with paper bags over their heads and another one clutching a Dan Marino doll, said recent decisions by Dolphins' management led to what is believed to be the first protest of the franchise by its fan base.

The Dolphins first issued a statement. Later, Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland spoke.

“We are halfway through the player acquisition period,’’ he said Tuesday afternoon. “Let the process play out.”

The protest began at about noon, and some of the men said they learned of the gathering through social media websites, and talk radio.

Some fans held signs that read "FIRELAND," a reference to Ireland. A few cars honked as the protesters yelled, clapped and at one point chanted, "Jeff Ireland's got to go."

“All I can say is to let the process run its course,’’ Ireland said.

Protesters had been standing on Miami Dolphins' property. They were politely asked to protest across the street, and they complied.

There also was a visible police presence to keep the peace.

One officer stopped, and rolled down her window asking protesters to stay off the road. She then added, "I would be with you," with a smile before driving off.

Many of the protesters wore Dolphins' jerseys. One car drove by loudly playing the Dolphins' fight song.

Many people honked.

Asked if he would continue to attend Dolphins' games, Lawrence said, "I'll go to every game no matter what, I don't care if they lose every game."

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Tebow Is Now A Jet

The Broncos actually got a 4th round for this guy. Enjoy your circus, New York. Who knows, he might save the career of a certain foot fetishist.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...171316720.html

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    LOL!

In one corner you have the Dirty Sanchez who fucks underage girls and bikini models and in the other corner you have the 24 year old virgin...

Enjoy your last season coaching the Jets Rex.

Thread Information