Thread: Does this make you cringe?

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Does this make you cringe?

Man, there is no one like the Diamond One and his fellow VH bandmates. I've seen a couple of VH tribute bands before, some better than others musically, and I give them credit for trying and for the fact that they love classic VH as much as we do. But. When someone tries to become DLR on stage....
    well... frankly its an embarrassment to them and to Dave. NO ONE can imitate Dave. No one can pull off his banter, his SCREAMING, his jumping, his stage dress, or his attitude. Those that try..FOOLS!!

I'm sure most of you have seen these VH posers, and probably have discussed it here before but I've seen KISS tribute bands, Nirvana etc. They all seem ok for some reason. But when they try to do the MIGHTY CLASSIC VAN HALEN.. well they SUCK. Is it just me or does watching this make you puke in your mouth?

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lsIXREIQ6LM?version=3&feature=player_detailpage">< param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lsIXREIQ6LM?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>
    " You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I hope I don't offend anyone here. For all I know these guys are members of the Army. I don't mean to pick on them. Musically they sound great (best I've heard)
    but seeing someone "doing" DLR just rubs me wrong.

fourthcoming
    You know what bro, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.......at least their paying homage to one of the greatest bands of all time. And....at least their not playing Love Walks In. I give em props for bravery......nobody can come close to the real thing.......makes you appreciate Diamond Dave and the boys just a little bit more.

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ya I agree. I give em props for trying. I think I would like it better if they just played the music as themselves and not playing the part.
    They definitely can PLAY THE VH. If someone recites the Gettysburg Address, do they have to dress like Lincoln?

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nah there's a place for cover bands and as long as they get they are there to make the punters happy ,god bless em , there are some great musicians playing covers just to help out on the cash front usually to support their originals band ... And as for a Dave impersonator its never gonna be the real Thing but am sure it's fun watching them
    Having a shot at the title ...
    fuck your fucking framing

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by private parts View Post
    I hope I don't offend anyone here. For all I know these guys are members of the Army. I don't mean to pick on them. Musically they sound great (best I've heard)
    but seeing someone "doing" DLR just rubs me wrong.
    I wouldn't worry at all about offending anyone. Some people will have a stick up their ass no matter what is said. It's like they sit around just waiting to be offended.

As far as the Punks go, they haven't been shit since Ralph left. His DLR was so spot-on it was scary. I let their current toolbag of a singer know that in a MySpace battle awhile back that was fuckin' EPIC! I'm pretty sure that bastard hates me to this day....
    They passed on a guitarist named Derek, who's now in another trib band (Fan Halen) who does Eddie alot more justice than that piece of shit in the video you posted.

For what they were, they used to be decent (definitely a better alternative to listening to the gay-ass Van Hagar crap), but they've made some shitty business decisions and they aren't worth a damn anymore. Now that the REAL Van Halen is back, they're also completely irrelevant.

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hambon4lif View Post
    I wouldn't worry at all about offending anyone. Some people will have a stick up their ass no matter what is said. It's like they sit around just waiting to be offended.

As far as the Punks go, they haven't been shit since Ralph left. His DLR was so spot-on it was scary. I let their current toolbag of a singer know that in a MySpace battle awhile back that was fuckin' EPIC! I'm pretty sure that bastard hates me to this day....
    They passed on a guitarist named Derek, who's now in another trib band (Fan Halen) who does Eddie alot more justice than that piece of shit in the video you posted.

For what they were, they used to be decent (definitely a better alternative to listening to the gay-ass Van Hagar crap), but they've made some shitty business decisions and they aren't worth a damn anymore. Now that the REAL Van Halen is back, they're also completely irrelevant.
    Reunited Van Halen bad for business. Rockin was there business, business ain't so good.

fourthcoming
    Maybe they can re-name themselves 51shitty and do all the clunkers from 1985 to Up For Breakfast. There's a halfway decent cover band here on the Island called Completely Unchained.....again.....nothing like the real thing but you can tell they are old school VH freaks. Hambon said it perfectly....now that the real VH are back.....kinda tough to be a CVH tribute band.

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well they'll have some new material to play between (knock on wood) now and a new release in the future.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just saw Unchained Sunday night in BOston before the concert. Believe me they do NOT suck. Rick sounds a lot like dave even if he doesn't resemble him.

Oh dear.

Sheep Pen Barn Boss
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensible Shoes View Post
    I just saw Unchained Sunday night in BOston before the concert. Believe me they do NOT suck. Rick sounds a lot like dave even if he doesn't resemble him.
    you lucked out, i could'nt get in, line was way to long
    Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    I remember back in the mid-80s, where I would see touring club bands....bands who toured the US, and some of the frontmen were mimicking Dave's schtick....his mannerisms....sometimes his facial expressions that were in some of the VH videos on MTV....

It was like watching trained monkeys.

I was out on the road in 1984 with a band called Diamond Romeo.....played the Southern circuit from Georgia to Texas for the most part. Singer's face looked exactly like Dave. He could have done a great Dave impersonation. But, he was true to himself, and did not copy anyone else. Hell, the band did not even play any Van Halen material at all.

As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...but it can also be seen as a lame attempt to ride the coattails of the stars in order to somehow impress people when they are unable to impress anyone with their own shit.

I knew a dude from Wichita who was an EVH NUT! He had the guitars, the red and white striped overalls, had every note down perfectly....but the dude had no original material at all.

It always used to make me marvel at him....wondering if he was so devoid of originality, or had no imagination.....so that the best he could do was to pretend to be someone else...

Ah well.....some guys are over-the-top good at that sort of thing, and also have a creativity as well....say for instance..Randy Hansen. He has been doing Hendrix tributes his whole life....but has also released albums of all-original material, had music on the soundtrack for Apocalypse Now, etc., and is the single greatest guitar showman I have ever seen in my life.....

But people of his caliber are very rare....

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've seen that a lot in guitar circles , people with great technique who can copy incredible pieces of music but just cant do original stuff ... I've often wondered if copying/studying someone so much can in some way kill off creativity ... Am not saying that happens all the time but ive seen a good few examples .

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Punks were hands down the best VH tribute band ever. Period. Then Ralph and Russ left and it's been downhill from there. The newest guy they have sucks ass and looks like a fucking idiot. But back in the day, they were the closest damn thing you could get to seeing the real VH. I can't find the video I wanted to post - them doing Light Up The Sky with Mikey - but this one's pretty good.

American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Before 2007 I saw the Atomic Punks maybe 4 times. had a great time every one of em. I think my first show was 1997 or 98 at a beach bar in San Diego. Ralph was so DLR it was scary. If you were drunk and kinda far from the stage, I swear you felt like you just used a time machine to 1981. It was very cool.

2007 and beyond I have no need for the Atomic Punks. I think Ralph made the right choice leaving them behind.

But hey, if people can go to a bar with friends, drink up, and rock out to live Van Halen music I say FUCKING A! Nothing wrong with that. You wanna see wrong? Look up the VanHAGAR tribute bands.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    I knew a dude from Wichita who was an EVH NUT! He had the guitars, the red and white striped overalls, had every note down perfectly....but the dude had no original material at all.
    Probably same ailment that these guitar teachers have that you see their dvd's for sale & stuff. My God they can fucking shred....but couldn't write a groove song to save their fucking life.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It makes me cringe and it sucks, Raalphh included...

That new homo looks like Will Ferrell making fun of Dave...

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    It makes me cringe and it sucks, Raalphh included...

That new homo looks like Will Ferrell making fun of Dave...

Ralph respected and mimicked/copied Dave. This guy, you are right, seems like he is making fun of. big difference.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The bass player for the Punks used to post here a while back....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've seen the Atomic Punks and Fan Halen many times, most recently within the last half year or so each ...

They're both great. They have good nights (and I've seen sometimes bad nights) but who cares? Great music and lots of fun. I'd say it's a better experience live because the audiences (at least around here) go nuts. Lots of fun.
    I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I thought it was cooler seeing some junior high kids rock out to EWS at the San Fran gun club than that Atomic Punks video.
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    I've seen that a lot in guitar circles , people with great technique who can copy incredible pieces of music but just cant do original stuff ... I've often wondered if copying/studying someone so much can in some way kill off creativity ... Am not saying that happens all the time but ive seen a good few examples .

Lots of kiddies on YouTube can nail Eddie's stuff so good it's scary ---- but not a single one of them has posted an original piece of music.

Talent comes from being inspired and finding a way to express your feelings in a unique way. Most people don't have that.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think the prominent VH cover band in New Jersey is, or was Fair Warning. Singer sounded just like Dave, but he looked like Lou Costello in a Dave wig. Not something I'd ever want to see again.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    Lots of kiddies on YouTube can nail Eddie's stuff so good it's scary ---- but not a single one of them has posted an original piece of music.

Talent comes from being inspired and finding a way to express your feelings in a unique way. Most people don't have that.
    You have musicians and then you have artists. You can be a great musician and not be a creative artist. Not all creative artists are great musicians and they depend on others to create their songs. The rare cat is both. No way would the Van Halens be able to do what they do without all the musical training they got as kids but then they took that into the creative realm. It's one thing to copy Eddie, but to come up with what he did originally? Not too many people can do it.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    I remember back in the mid-80s, where I would see touring club bands....bands who toured the US, and some of the frontmen were mimicking Dave's schtick....his mannerisms....sometimes his facial expressions that were in some of the VH videos on MTV....

It was like watching trained monkeys.

I was out on the road in 1984 with a band called Diamond Romeo.....played the Southern circuit from Georgia to Texas for the most part. Singer's face looked exactly like Dave. He could have done a great Dave impersonation. But, he was true to himself, and did not copy anyone else. Hell, the band did not even play any Van Halen material at all.

As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...but it can also be seen as a lame attempt to ride the coattails of the stars in order to somehow impress people when they are unable to impress anyone with their own shit.

It always used to make me marvel at him....wondering if he was so devoid of originality, or had no imagination.....so that the best he could do was to pretend to be someone else...

Ah well.....some guys are over-the-top good at that sort of thing, and also have a creativity as well....say for instance..Randy Hansen. He has been doing Hendrix tributes his whole life....but has also released albums of all-original material, had music on the soundtrack for Apocalypse Now, etc., and is the single greatest guitar showman I have ever seen in my life.....

But people of his caliber are very rare....
    I remember in a very old Eddie interview where he praised Randy as a great player, very cool.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    I think the prominent VH cover band in New Jersey is, or was Fair Warning. Singer sounded just like Dave, but he looked like Lou Costello in a Dave wig. Not something I'd ever want to see again.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Aren't the Punks kinda like Menudo? With a basically revolving door or talent coming in > out?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    At least the Kiss tribute band has Gene Simmons...

But how Ace Diamond got that gig, I'll never know...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Probably same ailment that these guitar teachers have that you see their dvd's for sale & stuff. My God they can fucking shred....but couldn't write a groove song to save their fucking life.
    Kinda like Vai and Malmsteen.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yngwie has some good and very original material...

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

But can he write a hit song? One that appeals to a large audience? I think his biggest "hit" was you don't remember, Ill never forget? That was a long time ago man.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why does when he did it matter ??

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He has? I must have missed it.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    But can he write a hit song? One that appeals to a large audience?
    No, he can't.

I'll take a guy that can compose a true song on a guitar, over these supposedly superior "technical" guitarists, any day of the week.

The only thing that sucks more than Malmsteen's songwriting, is his attitude.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    Kinda like Vai and Malmsteen.
    I disagree. Both are capable to write songs beyond the label shred. At least Steve Vai. Listen to his composition Tender Surrender:

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Malmsteen sucks donkey dicks... nuff said... fuckin wanker!!
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    The bass player for the Punks used to post here a while back....
    Did he not delete 3 years of Roth Army posts in a pissy fit when he had the keys to the server or am I getting that mixed up?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Did he not delete 3 years of Roth Army posts in a pissy fit when he had the keys to the server or am I getting that mixed up?
    You are correct. I spent hours on the phone with that fucker trying to get him to cooperate. I made every offer in the book to that dude.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    I disagree. Both are capable to write songs beyond the label shred. At least Steve Vai. Listen to his composition Tender Surrender:

Where's the singer? If he had to sit down and write that song for a singer, he'd have never gotten it done. Not like it turned out. Vai is a solo artist. A technician. He does that well. Better than most. But throw more than a backing band with a singer in the mix, and he's fucked. Try to add CHEMISTRY into that mix, and he is really fucked. 80% of his stuff with Dave was shit. I hate it. It has not stood the test of time either.

Should Van Halen ever decide to Van Halenize any of the Roth solo stuff, it will be greatly improved.

When Dave started rapping about it being ladies night in Buffalo at the Buffalo show, I really had hopes they were going to break into it. I would have loved to have heard them do that song, and I think that song is probably one of Vai's better efforts with Dave. They sound like a true band on that song. Just my opinion.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This makes me laugh everytime I watch it.

Thread Information