Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Coke And Pepsi Change Production Process To Avoid Cancer Warning

Coke And Pepsi Change Production Process To Avoid Cancer Warning

Coke and Pepsi change the way they make their drinks to avoid a cancer warning label in compliance with Californian law

LA WEEKLY

As if you need another reason to scale back on all that soda pop: NPR and Reuters report that Coca-Cola and Pepsi will change their recipe manufacturing process slightly to reduce the amount of 4-methylimidazole (4-MI), a chemical that, in very high doses, has been known to cause cancer in animals. In sodas, it's used to give the drinks their characteristic dark caramel coloring.

The change is not so much a health concern as it is a marketing one. In January, California added 4-MI to its list of known carcinogens subject to Proposition 65, the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986, which requires businesses to warn consumers when their products contain chemicals "known to cause cancer or reproductive toxicitiy." Had the companies continued to use 4-MI in sodas without modification, then, they would have had to issue a warning label on all bottles, cans and 2-liter jugs. Rather than go through all that trouble, the companies decided to rework the recipe process and find a way to use less 4-MI to create that signature brown color.

Last Monday, the Center for Science in the Public Interest petitioned the Food and Drug Administration to ban certain types of caramel colorings made with ammonia sulfite, including 4-MI, pointing to research linking the additive to cancer in mice and rats. Unsurprisingly, the world's largest supplier of the caramel color told NPR that the CSPI is making much ado about nothing, and that 4-MI is safe. The FDA is taking the middle ground, stressing that one would have to drink more than 1,000 cans of soda "to reach the doses administered in the studies that have shown links to cancer in rodents."

Most importantly, perhaps, Coca-Cola says that its new and improved formula will not affect the taste of its soda.

Update: Coca-Cola released a statement to reiterate: "The caramel color in all of our products has been, is and always will be safe, and The Coca-Cola Company is not changing the world-famous formula for our Coca-Cola beverages. Over the years, we have updated our manufacturing processes from time to time, but never altered our Secret Formula. We have asked our caramel manufacturers to modify their production process to reduce the amount of 4-MI in the caramel, but that will have no effect on the formula or on the great-tasting, high-quality products that consumers expect from us. These modifications will not affect the color or taste of Coca-Cola."
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Just about everything I buy has the California cancer warning on it. I guess it only gives you cancer when you are in California.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Now if they would only take the health hazard of mutant corn poison "sweetener" as seriously.

Oh well, at least the Kosher Coke should be out there now, for those of you who can find it. Still have never seen a single bottle or can of it in this one-synagogue town.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2019 @ 10:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Sugar Coke/any soda is the way to go....fuck Corn syrup.

Mountain Dew/Pepsi throwback was awesome, and so was Dr.Pepper's throwback too.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-12-2015 @ 10:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I've been wanting at times to give these fucking things up. It's my only remaining bad habit and although I have went from eight or so per day down to just two, I always think "What the hell, I don't any other bad shit...." and keep drinking them. Other than that I don't eat ANY cookies, cake, pie, candy or any other crap like that and I never really have, not even when I was a kid.

I'm not a big believer in everything causing cancer but I did learn last year when both my parents were dying from cancer that when they do a PET scan to observe tumors they inject the patient with glucose that has dye in it because the tumors feed off the glucose. SO, logic tells me that a high sugar diet CAN'T be a good thing and makes me wonder if this nation's current sugar binge isn't responsible for the upswing in many types of cancers. I am quite sure that the sugar industry doesn't want THAT connection to be made.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    All things in moderation. It used to be you drank your 7oz bottle of Coke every now and then. Now big fat asses fill up their 54oz mugs at the gas station and use it to wash down a dozen donuts. Then they go and fill the mug back up. People eat like shit and that's why sugar (diabetes) is one of the biggest killers in this country.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gbranton View Post
    I'm not a big believer in everything causing cancer but I did learn last year when both my parents were dying from cancer that when they do a PET scan to observe tumors they inject the patient with glucose that has dye in it because the tumors feed off the glucose. SO, logic tells me that a high sugar diet CAN'T be a good thing and makes me wonder if this nation's current sugar binge isn't responsible for the upswing in many types of cancers. I am quite sure that the sugar industry doesn't want THAT connection to be made.
    Glucose probably works well enough for the medical testing, but it turns out the cancer loves fructose even better. (one more reason to ban the MonSatan HFCS poison)

Cancer cells slurp up fructose, US study finds
    Mon, Aug 2 2010

* Study shows fructose used differently from glucose

* Findings challenge common wisdom about sugars

WASHINGTON, Aug 2 (Reuters) - Pancreatic tumor cells use fructose to divide and proliferate, U.S. researchers said on Monday in a study that challenges the common wisdom that all sugars are the same.

Tumor cells fed both glucose and fructose used the two sugars in two different ways, the team at the University of California Los Angeles found.

They said their finding, published in the journal Cancer Research, may help explain other studies that have linked fructose intake with pancreatic cancer, one of the deadliest cancer types.

"These findings show that cancer cells can readily metabolize fructose to increase proliferation," Dr. Anthony Heaney of UCLA's Jonsson Cancer Center and colleagues wrote.

"They have major significance for cancer patients given dietary refined fructose consumption, and indicate that efforts to reduce refined fructose intake or inhibit fructose-mediated actions may disrupt cancer growth."

Americans take in large amounts of fructose, mainly in high fructose corn syrup, a mix of fructose and glucose that is used in soft drinks, bread and a range of other foods.

Politicians, regulators, health experts and the industry have debated whether high fructose corn syrup and other ingredients have been helping make Americans fatter and less healthy.

Too much sugar of any kind not only adds pounds, but is also a key culprit in diabetes, heart disease and stroke, according to the American Heart Association.

Several states, including New York and California, have weighed a tax on sweetened soft drinks to defray the cost of treating obesity-related diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and cancer.

The American Beverage Association, whose members include Coca-Cola (KO.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) and Kraft Foods (KFT.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) have strongly, and successfully, opposed efforts to tax soda. [ID:nN12233126]

The industry has also argued that sugar is sugar.

Heaney said his team found otherwise. They grew pancreatic cancer cells in lab dishes and fed them both glucose and fructose.

Tumor cells thrive on sugar but they used the fructose to proliferate. "Importantly, fructose and glucose metabolism are quite different," Heaney's team wrote.

"I think this paper has a lot of public health implications. Hopefully, at the federal level there will be some effort to step back on the amount of high fructose corn syrup in our diets," Heaney said in a statement.

Now the team hopes to develop a drug that might stop tumor cells from making use of fructose.

U.S. consumption of high fructose corn syrup went up 1,000 percent between 1970 and 1990, researchers reported in 2004 in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

(Reporting by Maggie Fox; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Now if they would only take the health hazard of mutant corn poison "sweetener" as seriously.

Oh well, at least the Kosher Coke should be out there now, for those of you who can find it. Still have never seen a single bottle or can of it in this one-synagogue town.
    Kosher coke. I'm having visions of rabbis with white powder in their nostrils.

They must keep their coke stash in the black box they wear on their heads.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-19-2012 at 01:46 AM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    I love Diet Coke, but am under no illusions that it has any nutritional value whatsoever. Matter of fact, a 6-pack a day will probably prove to be quite harmful health-wise as the years wind on.

As long as I don't get cancer of the penis, I guess I'll continue to take my chances.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-29-2021 @ 06:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Just go get bottled water, and get some crystal light to flavor it. By cutting out pop and replacing it with that it's cut out quite a few pounds .

I used to be a big time mountain dew drinker, and now don't do it unless its diet. calories are bullshit, and agreed that corn syrup sucks balls. Probably is the reason why everyone is close to fucking obese now-a-days.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I just drink iced tea with some lemon in it or just water. I hardly ever drink a soda pop and if I do, it's one with cane sugar in it. I really don't eat much sugar at all. You get used to it. Our taste buds are trained for lots of sugar and salt and that's not good.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yep. I actually feel a lot better without white carbs in general. Bleached flour is almost as over-processed as the corn poison and just as useless as far as any real nutritional value goes.

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-31-2013 @ 09:11 AM
    Status
    Thanks

In the last 2 years... not even ten cans of any kind of carbonated sugar water.

But then there's the beer...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Stay away from the damn meat too.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-12-2015 @ 10:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks

At midnight on a Saturday night I am thinking for some reason the best thing you can use this shit for is to mix it with liquor. Or at least that is what I am experimanting with at this time. Carry on.

Thread Information