Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Afghanistan, Where's Our Apology: New Case of Afghan Killing U.S. Marine

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-09-2013 @ 06:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Angry Hey Afghanistan, Where's Our Apology: New Case of Afghan Killing U.S. Marine

LINK
    APNewsBreak: New case of Afghan killing Marine

By ROBERT BURNS, AP National Security Writer – 2 days ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — An Afghan soldier shot to death a 22-year-old Marine at an outpost in southwestern Afghanistan last month in a previously undisclosed case of apparent Afghan treachery that marked at least the seventh killing of an American military member by his supposed ally in the past six weeks, Marine officials said.

Lance Cpl. Edward J. Dycus of Greenville, Miss., was shot in the back of the head on Feb. 1 while standing guard at an Afghan-U.S. base in the Marja district of Helmand province. The exact circumstances have not been disclosed, but the Dycus family has been notified that he was killed by an Afghan soldier. Marine officials discussed the matter on condition of anonymity because it is still under investigation.

When the Pentagon announced Dycus' death the day after the shooting, it said he died "while conducting combat operations" in Helmand. It made no mention of treachery, which has become a growing problem for U.S. and allied forces as they work closely with Afghan forces to wind down the war.

The international military coalition reported a case of a person wearing an Afghan army uniform "turning his weapon against" a coalition service member, but it did not say the shooter was a soldier or that the victim was an American. A coalition spokesman, Army Col. Gary Kolb, said that report was mistakenly not filed among casualty reports on the coalition's website; it also suggested the shooting happened Jan. 31. The coalition has a policy of not identifying the nationality of service members killed.

The Associated Press inquired about the Dycus case after Maj. Gen. John Toolan, the top Marine commander in Afghanistan at the time, said in an AP interview March 7 that the Afghan government has been embarrassed by recent cases of Afghan soldiers turning their guns on their supposed partners.

"I had one just a month ago where a lance corporal was killed, shot in the back of the head, and the Afghan minister of defense was here the next day" to discuss custody of the shooter, Toolan said, speaking from his Regional Command-Southwest headquarters at Camp Leatherneck.
    After a negotiation aimed at ensuring the Afghan suspect is prosecuted, the Americans turned him over to Afghan government custody, another official said.

Toolan did not further identify the victim. He mentioned the case while explaining the importance of stopping Afghan treachery as U.S. forces step back from a direct combat role in Helmand and other areas of Afghanistan to a new mission of advising and assisting Afghan soldiers and police. That role, which is in full swing in Helmand, puts U.S. and other NATO troops in closer contact with Afghans at a time when tensions between the two sides have been heightened by an American soldier's alleged killing Sunday of 16 Afghan civilians.

NATO has approved a series of measures to help reduce the risks of attacks. They include embedding counterintelligence officers in the Afghan army and its training schools to detect people behaving suspiciously, increasing the number of Afghan intelligence officers, and making sure Afghan troops are paid regularly and get regular leave. Random drug testing will also be implemented.

"The Marines and soldiers that are doing the advising work out here understand that if they can't live side by side and operate day in and day out with the Afghans, then they are not going to be able to achieve what they need to achieve as far as relationship-building," Toolan said.

A central premise of the war strategy is that success cannot be achieved until Afghan forces are capable of providing security largely on their own and that this will not happen unless American and other coalition forces partner with Afghans at every level to train, advise and mentor them.

In the latest setback, an Afghan civilian interpreter at a British base in Helmand province stole a coalition pickup truck, drove it at high speed onto an airfield ramp and crashed it just as a plane carrying Defense Secretary Leon Panetta was landing Wednesday.

Lt. Gen. Curtis Scaparotti, the No. 2 overall commander in Afghanistan, told reporters that the truck was headed toward a group of U.S. Marines assembled on the tarmac for Panetta's arrival. Neither the Marines nor others in Panetta's welcoming party were injured; the Afghan died of burns sustained in the crash.

Dycus was assigned to 2nd battalion, 9th Marine regiment, 2nd Marine Division from Camp Lejeune, N.C.

Known to friends and family as "Eddie," he graduated from Riverside High School in Greenville in 2008. According to a Mississippi state Senate resolution honoring his life and service, Dycus deployed to Afghanistan on his 22nd birthday, Dec. 12, 2011.

Dycus' killing happened nearly three weeks before the burning of Muslim holy books at Bagram air base, an event that American officials said was accidental but that triggered a wave of protests across Afghanistan and is linked to six other killings of American troops by Afghans.

Two U.S. soldiers were gunned down by an Afghan soldier Feb 23 in Nangahar province; an Air Force lieutenant colonel and an Army major were killed inside the Afghan government office in Kabul and two Army paratroopers were killed by Afghan soldiers in Kandahar province on March 1.

In none of those cases did the Pentagon's casualty announcement mention that the Americans were killed by their supposed Afghan allies. It said, for example, that the two killed Feb. 23 died of "wounds suffered when their unit came under small arms fire." It happened amid an anti-American protest outside the Americans' base. Two protesters were killed by Afghan police there before the Afghan soldier turned his gun on U.S. troops.
    Last edited by BigBadBrian; 03-19-2012 at 06:30 AM. Reason: insert link
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    Fuck the war!

Bring the troops home!!!

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Afghanistan is like the Bermuda Triangle. Every nation that has invaded it gets ruined for doing so. We were dumb enough to do it after seeing a long list of other nations that tried to take over that beast. When our leaders get all cocky about our so called high tech military and it's capability I cringe. One of these days we are going to fuck with someone that will really bite back hard.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Gee Brian, why does the U.S. require an apology for the death of one of its heroic warriors in the line of duty? Is this some commentary on an apology we've given for accidentally killing civilians or for one of our Army sergeants going berserk and murdering innocent civilian women and children?

Brain, even you're not this stupid to simply echo Fox noise posed as commentary.

We simply need to get the fuck out of this country as fast as militarily possible...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 03-19-2012 at 07:19 PM.

5. 4 users say thank you to Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (03-20-2012),Kristy (03-20-2012),ThrillsNSpills (03-21-2012),Unchainme (03-19-2012)

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 03:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

i gotta agree with nick, BBB.

you don't REALLY assume that U.S. concern over the sgt's attack was 100% about being P.C., do you? you do agree that his action, however individual in scope, put every American there more at risk, right?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    We simply need to get the fuck out of this country as fast as militarily possible...
    Yeah so we can have more troops to fight Russia with in Syria. Maybe we can get them all strung out on Afghanistan smack. That's it. We will just take over Syria by getting everyone high and addicted.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Gee Brian, why does the U.S. require an apology blah blah blah
    I really don't give a fuck if these rag heads apologize or not. I posted this as an indictment of the Obama Administration getting on it's knees for every single damn wrong thing an American on this ball of dust does.

Brain....
    Thanks for the compliment! Yes I am!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBrian View Post
    I really don't give a fuck if these rag heads
    Die in a fire, you racist f*cktard.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Die in a fire, you racist f*cktard.
    Using the reference "raghead" refers to one of a particular religion, not race. Not all Middle Easterners or even Arabs where such head garments. I realize you're too stupid to know that, however.

You also show no limit and hate to people of the Christian or Jewish religion but want to defend the Islamoterrorists. Interesting.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You also show no limit and hate to people of the Christian or Jewish religion but want to defend the Islamoterrorists. Interesting.

Yeah, calling yourself a regional bigot...nice distinction, 'tard.
    Actually, I just hate those lying scumbags that PRETEND to be Christians - y'know, like you. And please show me where I've ever ripped on Jews in 8 years posting here...oh wait, you CAN'T. Idiot.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Using the reference "raghead" refers to one of a particular religion, not race. Not all Middle Easterners or even Arabs where such head garments. I realize you're too stupid to know that, however.

I disagree. When I use the term "raghead" I specifically mean any Muslim or Arab or for that matter any sand living fucker other than Israelis.

And he has a point about religion jhale. I have pointed that out to you before.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

.......and when I use the term douche bag I'm referring to Forrest and Friends

Glad we could clear that up!

14. Thanked kwame k for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (03-20-2012)

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwame k View Post
    .......and when I use the term douche bag I'm referring to Forrest and Friends

Glad we could clear that up!
    It can get confusing.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    he has a point about religion jhale. I have pointed that out to you before.
    No he doesn't, and while we're at it, f*** you too!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post

As a warmongering conservative republican, I have to agree. Afghanistan is a clusterfuck. You either need to go to war with a full head of steam, or not at all.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No he doesn't, and while we're at it, f*** you too!
    Why are you being so hurtfull?

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It can get confusing.

It's hard to tell sometimes

I find it amazing that the mentality seems to be.......if one of the extremist kills one of our guys it's a horrendous act, losing any American life at this point is, but it's OK if we butcher innocent women and children because hey, they deserved it for living there

When the real issue is......we allowed the extremists into their government, police and military by our failed policy of occupation.

Had Dubya and Rumsfeld done their jobs we should of been out of there in 3 to 4 years max........by staying longer all we've done is put a strain on our people by having to endure multiple deployments to the point where it's psychologically fucking up our men and women.

It's over there, has been for a long time now.......it hasn't nor will it ever change over there. They're tribal people who have zero concept of a western style democracy, they don't want it yet we keep trying to force it on them.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

When I use the term "raghead".....

lol. I was telling my Kuwaiti friend some of the derogatory terms used for Arabs. He laughed. I think his favorite was camel jockey. Although he explained you don't really want to ride them because they are fucking mean ass beasts and just about the roughest, ass busting ride you will ever have.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's hard to tell sometimes

I find it amazing that the mentality seems to be.......if one of the extremist kills one of our guys it's a horrendous act, losing any American life at this point is, but it's OK if we butcher innocent women and children because hey, they deserved it for living there

When the real issue is......we allowed the extremists into their government, police and military by our failed policy of occupation.

Had Dubya and Rumsfeld done their jobs we should of been out of there in 3 to 4 years max........by staying longer all we've done is put a strain on our people by having to endure multiple deployments to the point where it's psychologically fucking up our men and women.

It's over there, has been for a long time now.......it hasn't nor will it ever change over there. They're tribal people who have zero concept of a western style democracy, they don't want it yet we keep trying to force it on them.
    I don't condone the killing of innocent people at all whether they are rag heads or not. Especially children.

But let me ask you this. After we burned some Korans do you really think any of them can be considered innocent? Do you think they all want us dead?

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Kill the ones that threaten or do harm to us.....leave the rest alone.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't condone the killing of innocent people at all whether they are rag heads or not. Especially children.

But let me ask you this. After we burned some Korans do you really think any of them can be considered innocent? Do you think they all want us dead?
    The flaw in that line of thinking is you're - I know, shocker again - GENERALIZING. Why lump everyone together? I mean, in your narrow mind, do they ALL have to want us dead? I bet the vast majority of them whether they agree with us or not would like us to be out of there already, but I doubt the entire country has turned on us, or things would be getting WAY more violent quickly.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The flaw in that line of thinking is you're - I know, shocker again - GENERALIZING. Why lump everyone together? I mean, in your narrow mind, do they ALL have to want us dead? I bet the vast majority of them whether they agree with us or not would like us to be out of there already, but I doubt the entire country has turned on us, or things would be getting WAY more violent quickly.
    They want us out for sure. I wasn't generalizing I just asked a question. I know you see that as an immediate open door to get on your soap box.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They want us out for sure. I wasn't generalizing I just asked a question. I know you see that as an immediate open door to get on your soap box.
    More like to get you and ButtBoyBrie off yours, but whatevs.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Although he explained you don't really want to ride them because they are fucking mean ass beasts and just about the roughest, ass busting ride you will ever have.
    Nah, that honor belongs to my first car, an AMC Gremlin. Mere words can not explain the experience of driving around in that miserable excuse for transportation. My colon still groans at the memory, and that was roughly 35 years ago.

27. 2 users say thank you to chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

IceCreamBlondie (03-21-2012),sadaist (03-20-2012)

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No I don't......the same way only a small portion of Americans subscribe to the, "Nuke 'em all, let God sort "em out", theory.......the same goes for their extremists. It's only a small portion of each population.

If you look at the way the majority of Afghans live and the hardship they have to endure....you realize that the issues that a small few magnify isn't the norm.

You do realize that the 'terraists' force the people to grow poppy and if they get raided [by us or their government] they still owe the 'terraists' the full value of the harvest. If they can't pay they take their children as hostages until they come up with the money. Or out of sheer desperation they grow the poppy because it's the only way to feed their families and fend off starvation.....no matter what happens they still owe the bad guys the cash or crops. Yet, the good guys only stop by to destroy the crops and leave knowing full well what will happen to those people. Geez, wonder why we aren't greeted as liberators?

Do you think those peasants even know, let alone care, about some fucking books being burnt or do you think they're more worried about surviving and protecting their children?

Had we spent more time and money educating and developing agriculture there......they wouldn't need to raise a poppy crop. Some would, as with any drugs but if you could allow the people a chance out of abject poverty you'd solve numerous problems over there.....isn't that what nation building is?

29. Thanked kwame k for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (03-20-2012)

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No I don't......the same way only a small portion of Americans subscribe to the, "Nuke 'em all, let God sort "em out", theory.......the same goes for their extremists. It's only a small portion of each population.

If you look at the way the majority of Afghans live and the hardship they have to endure....you realize that the issues that a small few magnify isn't the norm.

You do realize that the 'terraists' force the people to grow poppy and if they get raided [by us or their government] they still owe the 'terraists' the full value of the harvest. If they can't pay they take their children as hostages until they come up with the money. Or out of sheer desperation they grow the poppy because it's the only way to feed their families and fend off starvation.....no matter what happens they still owe the bad guys the cash or crops. Yet, the good guys only stop by to destroy the crops and leave knowing full well what will happen to those people. Geez, wonder why we aren't greeted as liberators?

Do you think those peasants even know, let alone care, about some fucking books being burnt or do you think they're more worried about surviving and protecting their children?

Had we spent more time and money educating and developing agriculture there......they wouldn't need to raise a poppy crop. Some would, as with any drugs but if you could allow the people a chance out of abject poverty you'd solve numerous problems over there.....isn't that what nation building is?
    Who's side are you on?

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm for common sense........

We haven't done a damn thing to stop the root cause, in fact, under the Taliban the poppy production was less than it was after we invaded. Poverty still flourishes there and the basic needs of the people haven't been met. We're the nation builders, well......fucking build.

How would you feel towards America if.........at gun point the bad guys force you to grow poppy and at gun point the good guys destroy it, knowing full well that the bad guys are going to come back and demand money that you have no way of paying back! They're either going to kill you or take your children.

Now what if that happened to you and your family?

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    As a warmongering conservative republican...
    You?? Mr. Friendly 'show me your pets' guy?? Who'da thunk it?

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'm for common sense........

We haven't done a damn thing to stop the root cause, in fact, under the Taliban the poppy production was less than it was after we invaded. Poverty still flourishes there and the basic needs of the people haven't been met. We're the nation builders, well......fucking build.

How would you feel towards America if.........at gun point the bad guys force you to grow poppy and at gun point the good guys destroy it, knowing full well that the bad guys are going to come back and demand money that you have no way of paying back! They're either going to kill you or take your children.

Now what if that happened to you and your family?
    Man honetsly I could give a shit less about those people.

And it is happening to me and my family and yours right now under this adminitration. And I am not happy about it.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Man honetsly I could give a shit less about those people.
    Yeah, bigots are well known for their compassion and tolerance...

And it is happening to me and my family and yours right now under this adminitration. And I am not happy about it.

Cough, Cough... BULLSH*T

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, bigots are well known for their compassion and tolerance...

That's not very nice. I am both passionate and tolerant.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The flaw in that line of thinking is you're - I know, shocker again - GENERALIZING. Why lump everyone together?

Pot. Kettle. Black.

You're just full of hypocrisy today, aren't you?

What's the matter, rough day in the welfare line? Don't forget to use your food stamps to buy dinner on the way back to your trailer.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Pot. Kettle. Black.

You're just full of hypocrisy today, aren't you?

What's the matter, rough day in the welfare line? Don't forget to use your food stamps to buy dinner on the way back to your trailer.
    Riiiiight....which Top 10 Fortune 500 company do YOU work for again?
    Nice try, BigBLandBitch... you already LOST the job comparison derby years ago, remember? You WISH you had my benes. Or a job, for that matter.

Still givin' BJs on the corner for crack rocks, Mensa?

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Riiiiight....which Top 10 Fortune 500 company do YOU work for again?
    Nice try, BigBLandBitch... you already LOST the job comparison derby years ago, remember? You WISH you had my benes. Or a job, for that matter.

Still givin' BJs on the corner for crack rocks, Mensa?
    Why do you brag so much about working at Wal-Mart?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Why do you brag so much about working at Wal-Mart?
    That's the swing and miss you tried before. Yeah, don't act like you weren't one of the ones obsessing over where last time...?

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That's the swing and miss you tried before. Yeah, don't act like you weren't one of the ones obsessing over where last time...?
    I was just fuckin with ya dude. I figure as much as you like ragheads you work for an oil company.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries

Wrong again, you sad sack of shit. The term "raghead" in reference to anything would be a culture of individuals and not a religion. Your ignorance has no bounds. Maybe if you actually read your candy-coated Bible you'd realize that Paul called for women wearing veils while praying in the "Christian" church (Corinthians, somewhere). What about the Jewish Tallit? Just what "particular" religion are you talking about? Be specific. I suppose the wearing of these garments makes them "ragheads", too? As for not all Middle Easterns and Arbas not wearing a towel upon their dome makes them all right people? I suppose it makes a cloaked racist ignorant fuck as you feel so safe to get into a cab driven by a Middle Easterner or attend a community college with an Arab, eh, Brian? Keep on stereotyping away, asshole. It would be so funny if you weren't so sad.
    Last edited by Kristy; 03-20-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    :l

You do tend to protest on that too much. Wonder why.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's simple to understand Forrest's position.......he's a Rich Republican because one day, he'll win the lottery

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-25-2015 @ 02:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 850 Posts

Brie's not fooling anyone. You can tell by reading his posts how constipated he is from all that 'government cheese'.

45. 2 users say thank you to hambon4lif for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (03-20-2012),kwame k (03-20-2012)

Thread Information