SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Nepotism Reigns Supreme in Washington

For House members, it's a 'Family Affair'
    Majority have used funds to benefit kin

By Jerry Zremski

NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU CHIEF

Updated: March 24, 2012, 12:23 PM

WASHINGTON -- More than half of the nation's House members have used their office budget, campaign funds or official position to benefit their family members or themselves -- but Western New York's four federal lawmakers aren't among them.

The names of Reps. Brian Higgins, Louise M. Slaughter, Kathleen C. Hochul and Tom Reed are conspicuously absent from a 347-page report released this week by Citizens for Ethics and Responsibility in Washington. The report finds that 248 of the nation's 435 House members have, to varying degrees, turned serving in Congress into a family business.

Most commonly -- in 90 instances -- lawmakers used their congressional, campaign or political action committee funds to pay a family business, employer or affiliated nonprofit.

Meanwhile, 82 lawmakers paid a relative a salary, while other House members have family members working as lobbyists or have otherwise found creative ways to aid their family members.

To Melanie Sloan, executive director of the good-government group that did the "Family Affair" study, it's all rather disgusting.

"This report shows lawmakers still haven't learned it is wrong to trade on their positions as elected leaders to benefit themselves and their families," Sloan said.

It's no surprise, really, that Western New York's lawmakers are missing from the list of House members who use their office for private gain.

A 26-year House veteran, Slaughter led the charge for new ethics rules when Democrats took control of Congress in 2007. And just this week, Slaughter, D-Fairport, won her six-year fight to ban insider trading among members of Congress.

No serious ethics questions have ever arisen, either, about Higgins, a Buffalo Democrat first elected in 2004.

Hochul, D-Amherst, and Reed, R-Corning, are much newer to Washington, having been elected in 2011 and 2010, respectively.

And the only family tie that's ever been questioned about either of them involves the fact that Hochul gets more campaign money from lawyers than from any other special interest -- while she is married to William J. Hochul Jr., the U.S. attorney for Western New York.

But that's a far cry from the kind of direct family profiteering outlined in the report, which tars big-name Democrats and Republicans alike.

Rep. Maxine Waters, a California Democrat who's the target of a House Ethics Committee probe, paid her daughter and grandson a combined $495,650. Her daughter, Karen Waters-Titus, runs a public relations firm that did work for Waters' re-election campaign; meanwhile, Waters' grandson, serves as her congressional chief of staff.

On the Republican side, Rep. Ron Paul of Texas -- a frequent presidential candidate -- paid more than $300,000 in salaries or fees to his daughter, brother, grandson, daughter's mother-in-law, granddaughter and grandson-in-law.

And that's just the tip of the sludge pile. Rep. Rob Andrews, D-N.J., used campaign funds to take his family to a wedding at a luxury resort in Scotland.

Rep. Aaron Schock, R-Ill., reimbursed himself out of his campaign fund to the tune of $150,000, including $30,000 for hotel stays at places as far-flung as Miami and Athens, Greece.

The first-of-its kind comprehensive report is likely to do nothing to bolster the reputation of Congress, which suffers from public approval ratings far south of 20 percent.

"Conduct like this reinforces the widely held view that members of Congress are more interested in enriching themselves than in public service," Sloan said.

This conduct happens among lawmakers from other parts of New York State, too. Some 14 of the state's 29 House members are named in the report as among those that have used their position to benefit their families or themselves.

Most of the findings regarding New York lawmakers are comparatively minor, but some stand out.

Rep. Tim Bishop, D-Southampton, paid his daughter's consulting firm $250,000 for work in the 2008 and 2010 elections.

And Rep. Pete King, the Seaford Republican who is chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, has a daughter and a sister working as lobbyists. King also has a son who serves as a public affairs consultant for foreign entities such as the Taipai, Taipei Taiwan, economic and cultural office in the U.S. and Somalia's mission to the United Nations.

The other New York lawmakers cited in the report are:

Rep. Gary Ackerman, D-Queens.
    Rep. Anne Marie Buerkle, R-Onondaga Hill.
    Rep. Yvette D. Clarke, D-Brooklyn.
    Rep. Joseph Crowley, D-Queens.
    Rep. Maurice Hinchey, D-Hurley.
    Rep. Steve Israel, D-Huntington.
    Rep. Gregory W. Meeks, D-Queens.
    Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-Manhattan.
    Rep. Bill Owens, D-Plattsburgh.
    Rep. Charles Rangel, D-Manhattan.
    Rep. Edolphus Towns, D-Brooklyn.
    Rep. Nydia M. Velazquez, D-Brooklyn.

The full report can be found at http://www.citizensforethics.org.

jzremski@buffnews.com

BuffaloNews.com
  • Dr. Love
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    On the Republican side, Rep. Ron Paul of Texas -- a frequent presidential candidate -- paid more than $300,000 in salaries or fees to his daughter, brother, grandson, daughter's mother-in-law, granddaughter and grandson-in-law.
    Hmmm... I'm going to look for more information on this.
    I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

Comment

• Dr. Love
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

here's the text:

RON PAUL (R-TX) is a twelve-term member of Congress, representing Texas’ 14th
      congressional district.

He is the chairman of the Domestic Monetary Policy and Technology
      Subcommittee of the House Financial Services Committee, as well as a member of the House
      Foreign Affairs Committee.

Rep. Paul’s campaign committee, Committee to Re-elect Ron Paul,

paid salaries to his
      daughter, his grandson, his daughter’s mother-in-law, his granddaughter, his grandson-in-law,
      and another relative. In addition, his campaign committee reimbursed the congressman and
      several other relatives and paid his brother’s accounting firm. Finally, Rep. Paul’s leadership
      political action committee (PAC), Liberty PAC,

reimbursed the congressman, paid his brother’s
      accounting firm, and paid his daughter a salary.
      Ron Paul (self):
      • During the 2008 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee reimbursed Rep. Paul
      $4,466 for travel, gift and food expenses.

• During the 2008 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s leadership PAC reimbursed Rep. Paul $437
      for travel expenses.

• During the 2010 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee reimbursed Rep. Paul
      $6,676 for flags, meals, and unspecified expenses.

• During the 2010 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s leadership PAC reimbursed Rep. Paul $1,001
      for unspecified expenses.

Carol Paul (wife):

• During the 2010 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee reimbursed Ms. Paul
      $1,356 for unspecified expenses.

Lori Pyeatt (daughter):

• During the 2008 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee paid Ms. Pyeatt
      $56,666 in salary.

• During the 2008 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee reimbursed Ms. Pyeatt
      $4,878 for gas, food and travel expenses.

• During the 2008 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s leadership PAC paid Ms. Pyeatt $2,542 in
      salary.

• During the 2010 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee paid Ms. Pyeatt
      $42,590 in salary.

• During the 2010 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee reimbursed Ms. Pyeatt
      $4,478 for telephone, mileage and framing expenses.

• During the 2010 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s leadership PAC paid Ms. Pyeatt $24,334 in
      salary.

• During the 2010 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s leadership PAC reimbursed Ms. Pyeatt $917
      for travel expenses.

Wayne A. Paul (brother):

• Mr. Paul is the owner of Paul, Phipps & Co. an accounting firm.

During the 2008
      election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee paid the firm $48,065 for accounting
      services and $608 in payroll taxes and postage expenses.

• During the 2010 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s leadership PAC paid Paul, Phipps & Co.
      $677 for accounting services.

Rand Paul (son):

• During the 2008 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee reimbursed Mr. Paul
      $346 for unspecified expenses.

Robert Paul (son):

• During the 2008 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee reimbursed Mr. Paul
      $375 for unspecified expenses.

Matthew Pyeatt (grandson):

• During the 2008 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee paid Mr. Pyeatt $2,838
      in salary.

• During the 2008 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee reimbursed Mr. Pyeatt
      $408 for travel and mileage expenses.

Nora LeBlanc (daughter’s mother-in-law):

• During the 2008 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee paid Ms. Leblanc
      $50,104 in salary.

• During the 2008 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee reimbursed Ms.
      Leblanc $1,868 for travel expenses.

• During the 2010 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee paid Ms. LeBlanc
      $12,775 in salary.

Laura Paul (granddaughter):

• During the 2008 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee paid Ms. Paul $5,751 in
      salary.

• During the 2008 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee reimbursed Ms. Paul
      $780 in mileage and travel expenses.

Peggy Paul (daughter-in-law):

• During the 2008 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee reimbursed Ms. Paul
      $1,555 for travel expenses.

Valori Benton (granddaughter):

• During the 2008 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee paid Ms. Benton
      $49,096 in salary.

• During the 2008 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee reimbursed Ms. Benton
      $6,960 for travel, mileage and phone expenses.

• During the 2010 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee paid Ms. Benton
      $30,093 in salary.

• During the 2010 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee reimbursed Ms. Benton
      $1,558 for office supplies and unspecified expenses.

Jesse Benton (grandson-in-law):

• During the 2010 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee paid Mr. Benton
      $27,810 in salary and political consulting fees.
      • During the 2010 election cycle, Rep. Paul’s campaign committee reimbursed Mr. Benton
      $21,942 for travel and mileage expenses

Comment

• Dr. Love
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

This report is a little frustratingly vague with information... if someone is being accused of nepotism/wrong-doing I'd want to know exactly how funds were misused.

For example: RP paid his brother's accounting firm for "accounting services" - Okay ... if his brother weren't an accountant I'd say that it was wrong (and dumb). I'm hiring my own brother-in-law to do my taxes this year and he's an accountant too. It's hard to say there's anything "wrong" there, unless he overpaid ... but there's not enough information here to indicate he was overpaid?

There's a lot of reimbursements that on the face don't seem egregious, but again, no details...

There's a lot of salaries being paid by his re-election campaign. I'm not sure if this is out of the norm or not? I would kind of expect a campaign to compensate fairly for time spent out on the campaign trail (especially for presidential campaigns) for anyone - staff and family alike. I wouldn't expect these people to quit their jobs and work full/part time for a campaign without any compensation.

It would be a big problem for me if they were over-compensated, but again ... no details. I don't even know how long they worked based on this report. RP paid his grandson less than $2500 of salary. Was that for 1 day? 1 week? 1 month? I have no idea and the citations don't give that info.

I'll be the first one to be disappointed by my preferred candidate if he has abused his ethical obligations, especially given how he campaigns as someone that is genuine and ethical in comparison to the rest.

But before I can get disappointed I need enough context to make a judgement on if he actually did something wrong. All I can tell from this is that his family is involved in his election campaigns (which is to be expected), they got reimbursed for a lot of seemingly understandable expenses, and some of them were paid salaries for undisclosed positions in the campaign, for undisclosed amounts of time, with undisclosed duties and with undisclosed qualifications.

So ... I'm not sure there's really a story here...

Comment

• kwame k
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Feb 2008

I'm not buying into this either.......if you hire a family member who's qualified to do the job, where's the crime?

I've used family for various jobs in my life and will again.....who wouldn't want to give family a shot at making some money first.

Tons of candidates have used family to run their campaigns or have hired family members after being elected.......unless it's flat out embezzlement or fraud, again, where's the crime?
          Originally posted by vandeleur
          E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Family can either be your best friend or your worst enemy. Maybe you might want to hire family and maybe they would be the last people on earth you would want to hire.

I mean if people want to complain about hiring family then point the finger at JFK. He made his brother attorney general. Nobody beats the Kennedy's for nepotism and for the most part people didn't seem to care. That nepotism seemed to do a good job of avoiding World War III during the cuban missle crises. Maybe we are still here due to a bit of nepotism.
            Last edited by Nitro Express; 03-24-2012, 05:40 PM.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              Nobody beats the Kennedy's for nepotism and for the most part people didn't seem to care.
              How was it nepotism, by definition ??

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Being president and putting your brother in a key position in the government. At least Bobby was competent. At least Carter didn't make his brother Billy secretary of interior. LOL!
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

If the person is competent, it's not nepotism...

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                    If the person is competent, it's not nepotism...
                    No, by definition, it IS nepotism, as the President did hire his brother as Attorney General. Bobby just happened to be good at the job.

Frankly though, I'm more concerned with the psuedo-nepotism of the BCE administrations. They may not be actually blood relatives of Poppy, Chimpy, or Jeb, but having this parade of fascist goons (Cheney/Rumsfeld/Wolfowitz/Kissinger/Powell/Armitige/etc/) back in power every time one of them manages to swindle their way back into the White House has proven to have far worse consequences over the last 50 years.
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Dr. Love
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2004

Nepotism is favoritism towards family members regardless of merit... if they you hire an attorney that's a family member to give you legal advice, or if you hire an accountant that's your family member to do your taxes, that's not nepotism.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

Fuck off FORD!

Nobody in the real world believes the liberal bullshit...

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Dr. Love
                            Nepotism is favoritism towards family members regardless of merit... if they you hire an attorney that's a family member to give you legal advice, or if you hire an accountant that's your family member to do your taxes, that's not nepotism.
                            Dude,

How 'bout you stop trying to take the high road with these motherfuckers and post how you really feel ??

The truth will set you free! No matter how these stupid fucktards react to it...

Comment

• Jesus Christ
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                              Fuck off FORD!

Nobody in the real world believes the liberal bullshit...
                              I believe it, Gregory. For verily I say unto you, that I am the original Liberal.

Comment

Working...