@
    Status
    That stage was Huge!!

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As far as Dave ad libbing and telling stories, didn't some complain about that?

Remember when he would point to the audience for what like seemed forever and his sword routine.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensible Shoes View Post
    I'm having withdrawal symptoms. And I"m complaining about it.

Drive over to Philly...hop in with Lou and get down to Greensboro!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    from the youtubes...Dave's singing...he's in trouble this time and I guess it would be better for him to take a break and fix it...like they did last time to fix ed's problems...but I guess Dave doesn't want to, the trooper he is...but sometimes it's painful to see him struggle through songs and cracking his voice trying to hit the notes...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    but sometimes it's painful to see him struggle through songs and cracking his voice trying to hit the notes...
    Especially at insane ticket prices...

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Especially at insane ticket prices...

I don't expect him to sing like 1984 but we should not pretend that Dave is doing well on this tour. He has serious issues and you can hear it.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I totally agree...

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    I totally agree...
    so now we're both the sand in the vagina...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ouch...

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
    Drive over to Philly...hop in with Lou and get down to Greensboro!
    Oh yeah it's that simple!!!! LOL. Philly's quite a ride from here.....

Oh dear.

LIGHT EM UP!!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    as some others have pointed out why does he continue to try and sing in the higher octave than the original recordings? it sounds bad, and it has to be hurting his voice...

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensible Shoes View Post
    Oh yeah it's that simple!!!! LOL. Philly's quite a ride from here.....
    Freakin' Greensboro, North Cack-a-lacky is quite a ride from here...

but, I'm doin it...

what the problem is?

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    $$$$$$$

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My only complaint was the low volume level.

I want to feel that shit in my chest, I want my ears to ring the next day.

Vanhalen is supposed to be loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Roth And Roll

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I didn't think it was loud either - but my roommate said she was deaf the next day.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Tour Setlist

I absolutely love the new album, tour, and simple fact that the Diamond One is back. The only things I wish they would tweak is:

1-Not ending the show with Jump. I know the song needs to be in the setlist, but ending with it is way too predictable for the great VH IMO. If they played it second to last, it would even be an upgrade... That said, I am glad that they have already enhanced the shows by scrapping YRGM as the opener and changing the setlist at times with various classics.

2-Strike Pretty Woman from the setlist altogether. I get the feeling that most die-hard CVH fans would agree with me (but I don't know for sure).
    It just seems that from a marketing standpoint (and awareness of their fans' wishes) they would figure this out. I'm hoping they still will before the SA show. Either way, as a fan since the beginning and loather of Tub O' Goo Hagar, I am over the top ecstatic about the real VH being back.

Thoughts?

Beer-It does a body good.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Agree. Even if they end the set with Jump, come out for 3 encores like maybe some covers that they did in SA in 83 like Summertime Blues or Little Guitars or even end the show with Ain't Talkin Bout Love. I like the way they at least mix it up a bit by rotating songs. I would love to hear Sinner's Swing, On Fire or In a Simple Rhyme. That said I think they should rotate all the songs on the new album. Would love to hear Outta Space, Honeybabysweetiedoll and You and Your Blues which is my fave from ADOKOT. Having said that, even if they don't make any more changes, I wouls still see them again.
    When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here's my 3 cent nickle...

The set list is just fine... I like the changes here and there...totally unexpected and very cool, so far...

end the show the way they have been...play Jump...don't leave the stage, blow the confetti...

THEN...leave the stage...

THEN RETURN and play...

STAY FROSTY

it's their new set list end song...the "see ya next time" song...the new "Happy Trails", if you will...

Do it...

Do it...

Come on...Do it...

Van Halen fan for life!
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    For what it's worth: I totally agree about moving Jump to the next to the last song and randomly playing deeper tracks, new or classic. Understanding that there are actually people on this planet that think that Jump is ALL VH ever did, I get the idea that it has to be in there somewhere. But on a personally selfish note, I would love to have a "random" ending after Jump. A surprise of some sort. And throw in Little Guitars and So This Is Love? for good measure in the setlist. At this point, I'm so thankful that we have new music, they're on the road, and we have VH back! Stay Frosty is a great idea BTW!!!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is all very simple folks.

Alex comes down from his drum set after Jump, the boys all take a bow, then........

HAPPY TRAILS!!!
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I thought in the middle of the show they would perform ....Could This Be Magic! One of my top 10 VH songs!
    When you turn on your stereo, does it return the favor?

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post

Alex comes down from his drum set after Jump, the boys all take a bow, then........HAPPY TRAILS!!!
    I would LOVE to see this tradition started up again; it's very VAN HALEN. The fans would love it I think - and it would definitely be memorable - a water-cooler moment for sure.
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    BTW, if anyone wants a pair of tickets w/parking pass to the Nashville show, I'm selling them on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170819542343...#ht_500wt_1413

To All you "Wannabes'" FU
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BITEYOASS View Post
    BTW, if anyone wants a pair of tickets w/parking pass to the Nashville show, I'm selling them on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170819542343...#ht_500wt_1413

that sucks bro......
    Things will work out...
    they always do

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Dave's voice.......

I have been saddened a little by some of the comments made about Dave's voice. There is no doubt that DLR of 2012 is not DLR of 1984. He's 57 years old. What I find troubling is that so many seem to forget that there are very few 57 year old rock vocalists running around that still have all of their vocal power. In fact hardly none of them arguably do. It's a fact of life for the vast majority of singers out there. I saw footage of Paul McCartney several years ago (beginning of the new century footage) and when he attempted to hit the high notes for Band On The Run all I can say is he tried his best but came up quite short. Again, this is when he was only slightly older than DLR is now. I was a huge fan of Dio and saw him 3 times from 07' to 2010 with the Sabbath offshoot H&Hell. Dio sounded great overall but was he the same as he was in the 80's? NO, he was not. You could tell he struggled to hit the notes and had that "hoarse" sound you're hearing about with Roth. Even in 07' before he became ill he wasn't able to replicate his parts. He still sounded very good but of course it was different. I also distinctly remember Billy Joel doing an interview years ago (early 2000's) where he admitted he could no longer sing the way he used to be able to and that his band altered the songs (lower key) so that he could pull it off. He was actually sort of joking about it. I respected his honesty if nothing else. My point is that if you're going to see Van Halen now and expecting Roth to be anything but a 57 year old then yes you're probably going to be disappointed. Of course it's not the same. Saw The Who back in the early 2000's when Entwistle was still alive. They were great but Roger D sang like a much older version of Roger D. It wasn't the same and he didn't even attempt much of the high stuff he had been known for in his youth. Again this was in 2000. Roger was only around 56 at the time. What I didn't see is one press article after another trashing him for not being able to hit the high stuff any longer. Certainly not any "fans" trashing him. My point is that I expect s**t like this from the rock press. They're typically idiots anyway. I do wish the "fans" would stop to reconsider Roth's age when commenting about his voice. DLR is one of the greatest frontmen of all time in rock. I realize his voice is not what it once was. But is anyone else's his age? And how many? Van Halen without David Lee Roth would have been a footnote in rock history. Eddie would have been arguably similar to Yngwie Malmsteen. Incredibly talented yes, part of one of the greatest rock bands in history? Doubtful. I'm going to see VH later this month. I'm not expecting Roth to come flying off Alex's drums (Al is not what he was 30 yrs ago either guys, trust me) and I know his vocals will probably be strained during some parts of the show. The bottom line is it's David Lee Roth in Van Halen. In 2012 and in their late 50's it's enough, and we won't have it much longer.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Keep in mind the guys who are "critics" never factor in the physical fact that the voice is a limited commodity- if you do 2 hours every night you are going to have peaks and valleys regardless of who the singer is. You've heard Dave not showing up for soundcheck to save his voice. That's a very real reality for anyone doing that full time. A critic has never been in that realm.
    I'd love to hear one critic make an album half as good as Different Kind of Truth. It's like the album you can't get sick of. That in itself is a serious accomplishment.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    From most of what I've read... I don't think most folks are expressing that Dave has lost it.

Most the negative comments seem to be around Dave's choice to sing in the high register on songs previously performed in his lower (normal) vocal range. I've seen several performances where clearly Dave is forcing it beyond his range... mostly it doesn't come off well, sometimes it does.

Comparing to the 07/08 tour Dave kept most of his performance in his normal range. It also appeared Dave had worked with a vocal coach as he was hitting more of the melodies during that tour. This followed his participation in the Strummin w/ the Devil bluegrass thing. I noticed some of that work seemed to spill over into his 07/08 singing intonation and delivery of those classics he performed bluegrass style.

That mode seems to have left and he sounds more into the vein of high pitched stuff he did during the Bar-B-Q project... Not sure why Dave likes this stuff... but he does. Just isn't his range though.

BTW paragraphs are not a bad thing...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post

Alex comes down from his drum set after Jump, the boys all take a bow, then........

HAPPY TRAILS!!!
    Imagine that.
    standing up, whistling, yelling clapping going bonkers at the end of the show elated that you just witnessed the greatest band on earth and sad that this might be the last time you see them together on stage.......place goes completley dark........spot light shines centre stage on Dave and all your hear is...Bum Ba Dee Dah

Damn fuckin place would go apeshit and the fucking building will come crumbling down!!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    One thing that is missing from this tour is a fucking
    PROGRAM
    They are selling all sorts of swag but not a fucking tour program
    How sweet would that be??

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    I don't expect him to sing like 1984 but we should not pretend that Dave is doing well on this tour. He has serious issues and you can hear it.
    I'd say the roles have reversed somewhat from last tour, where Dave was in about as good a form vocally as I could have expected, whereas Ed was clearly not up to it...

From the youtubes I've seen, Ed is fuckin' blazing this time around, while Roth does seem to struggle vocally at points...I mean, it can't really be denied by anybody unless they don't have a discerning ear or are just up Roth's ass to the point where the truth can't be said.

I'll reserve a final call until 4/14, when I see 'em live.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You're right, Terry. I've seen 2 shows so far and it seems as if...I'm gonna say it...Dave is a little bit intimidated by Ed, Al and Wolf at this point. Those 3 are monsterous...Edward is playing better than I've ever seen...Alex is just god-like back there...he is on fire, as always...and there is no denying the kid...he's the shit...on bass and with the backup vocals...

Dave has not been...either trying to go to high when it's not necessary...fuckin up lyrics or just mush-mouthin them to get through the song...

He was magic on the 07/08 Tour...I'll Wait, Little Dreamer, I'm The One come to mind...he never missed a beat and I saw 5 shows last tour...

I hope he finds it before this tour closes...

Greensboro or bust, April 21....

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrillsNSpills View Post
    Keep in mind the guys who are "critics" never factor in the physical fact that the voice is a limited commodity- if you do 2 hours every night you are going to have peaks and valleys regardless of who the singer is. You've heard Dave not showing up for soundcheck to save his voice. That's a very real reality for anyone doing that full time. A critic has never been in that realm.
    I'd love to hear one critic make an album half as good as Different Kind of Truth. It's like the album you can't get sick of. That in itself is a serious accomplishment.
    So true. I can't get sick of it myself. I could do without Big River & Maybe Tattoo. I like both enough but the rest of the album kills them !! Dave is doing fine. This break should help. I think he should just tell the band the songs he can sing the best at this point and stick with them. Throw in a bonus deep cut at a few gigs here and there to get on tape. I can see why we might not get Light Up The Sky. I bet he told the band are you serious !? My only thing still is the show should be 3 or 4 songs longer. Meen Streets needs to be played every night. It's a top 5 VH song of all time !! I don't get how they can leave that out for I'll Wait ?
    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 04-08-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    So true. I can't get sick of it myself. I could do without Big River & Maybe Tattoo.
    Funny how this varies from song to song, depending on who you ask. Some folks wouldn't drop a track from ADKOT, others might pick a completely different song that could be cut. For me, 'Big River' falls into the category of: "Man - if Van Halen did nothing else, at least they gave us this one song..."

But then again, there are about 10 or 11 other songs that fall into that category as well.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    Funny how this varies from song to song, depending on who you ask. Some folks wouldn't drop a track from ADKOT, others might pick a completely different song that could be cut. For me, 'Big River' falls into the category of: "Man - if Van Halen did nothing else, at least they gave us this one song..."

But then again, there are about 10 or 11 other songs that fall into that category as well.
    I like them all. But Big River gets lost in the mix for me. Tattoo was killed on the radio. I don't skip anything on the disc though. Just listened to it.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
    I've seen 2 shows so far and it seems as if...I'm gonna say it...Dave is a little bit intimidated by Ed, Al and Wolf at this point.
    Agreed. I've never seen him do so much standing over Ed's shoulders before. Or Wolf's for that matter. I know that Argentina clip that has recently surfaced is 29 years old, but in that, you can see Dave was in a totally confident, crowd winning zone. I feel he was in that same zone all through '07 and '08. His confidence has clearly been shaken a bit by two big things. A fading vocal power and diminishing mobility. I think he's done a great job at adapting to what paces Father Time has put him through. The dance floor thing is clearly to make up for the lack of running all over the place. He's still doing some kicks and splits that defy just about anything this fan who's 15 years his junior could ever do. By and large, he's been doing very well vocally with the majority of the tunes they've been playing, and there mostly challenging tunes at a rapid-fire pace. From a You-Tube point of view, Chinatown and Dance The Night Away seem to be the songs I've read the most criticism for. Anyone I've spoken to who's seen them live echoes my opinion. He sounds fucking great and thank God he's there. Plain and simple.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    thank God he's there. Plain and simple.

enuff said

Ron
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've seen some dvd bootlegs of Van halen's 2012 ( Febr.) tour and they really surprised me with changin' their setlist once in a while, something they've never done before..

Also Dave during his solo shows never did !!

I've seen they did : HEAR ABOUT IT LATER // GIRL GONE BAD // OUTTA LOVE AGAIN // WOMEN IN LOVE // FULL BUG and from ADKOT : TATTOO //

SHE'S THE WOMAN // BLOOD & FIRE // THE TROUBLE WITH NEVER // CHINA TOWN...........

Question...?? Have they done more 'new' old songs......?? in the mean time.............??

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rocking ron View Post
    i've seen some dvd bootlegs of van halen's 2012 ( febr.) tour and they really surprised me with changin' their setlist once in a while, something they've never done before..

Also dave during his solo shows never did !!

I've seen they did : Hear about it later // girl gone bad // outta love again // women in love // full bug and from adkot : Tattoo //

she's the woman // blood & fire // the trouble with never // china town...........

Question...?? Have they done more 'new' old songs......?? In the mean time.............??
    and hang em' high
    http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rocking ron View Post
    in the mean time.............??
    while the tour break?

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

The hero has fallen

Sorry guys, keep drinking the VH kool aid but the hero has fallen, big time. It would be laughable if it wasn't so sad.

Thread Information