3/29/12 Billy Sheehan Int - Pro Shot EEAS Footage, Remastered Sonrisa Salvaje in EUR

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Walker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

3/29/12 Billy Sheehan Int - Pro Shot EEAS Footage, Remastered Sonrisa Salvaje in EUR

Where Metal Lives! Breaking news, reviews, interviews, audio, and videos... Your hub for metal music.

I just stuck with the shit that dealt with David...

BraveWords.com: Years ago Talas opened up for Van Halen. You wrote the song ‘Shy Boy’ with Talas and it ended up being recorded by David Lee Roth and you joined his band. Have you followed Van Halen’s current tour and new album and do you still speak to David?

Sheehan: “I haven’t spoken to him in a while, but we’re certainly on friendly excellent terms. I’m glad for him that he’s in Van Halen. I wish it were the original line-up. I miss not seeing Michael Anthony, but good for Eddie; he’s got his son in there and that’s cool. I’m a fan and it really would have been great to... Everybody is in good health and it would have been great. There’s no excuse... Mr. Big ended on a negative. We pulled it all together and are having a great time. I just wish other people could do the same, but unfortunately it didn’t work out that way. I wish them well just the same, but I haven’t followed. I saw a snippet of ‘Tattoo’. They looked good and seemed happy. So, I’m glad for them. I love all those guys. Their music and that band is a great part of my life in a lot of ways, so I hope they do great.”

BraveWords.com: Eat ‘Em And Smile was one of the best albums of 1986. The song ‘Yankee Rose’ sounds as fresh today (in 2012) as it did in 1986...

Sheehan: “That’s very kind of you to say. If it does sound ‘fresh, it’s because it really was ‘fresh’. When we went in and made that record it was real. We wrote together it a room. We hung out together. We recorded it together live in a room. It was all the real thing. That’s how real records were made back in the day. That’s why I think it lives to this day. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t get an email or comment about Eat ‘Em And Smile. Whether it’s Indonesia, Peru or wherever I travel, people have that record...”

BraveWords.com: Would you like to be given the chance to play those songs live again with that band?

Sheehan: “ABSOLUTELY! I’d love to.”

BraveWords.com: Were you involved in the Spanish version of that album (Sonrisa Salvaje)?

Sheehan: “Yeah - that was me and Dave. We sang the whole thing. It was my idea, but later on it turned into his manager’s idea because they thought it was a good idea.”

BraveWords.com: Well, he gets paid to come up with the ideas...

Sheehan: “No kidding, but I remember coming home on a flight from New York City after we were done doing the recording for Eat ‘Em And Smile. There was this article about what huge percentage eighteen year olds (the perfect age for rock fans) made up in Latin/South America. I knew David spoke a little Spanish and I thought ‘we should do the album in Spanish’. It would be great. So, we did. At the time, MISSING PERSONS were in the studio at night and we went in during the day. I was using Dale Bozzio’s mic and there was always her lipstick and perfume smell on the windscreen. Terry’s crazy electronic drums were set up. David coached me phonetically... When we played ‘Shy Boy’ this year in South America, we threw in a few ‘Tímido, Tímidos’.”

BraveWords.com: I listen to that album every so often and musically it’s fantastic, but as an Anglophone it’s a kicker to hear ‘Loco Del Calor’ instead of ‘Goin’ Crazy’

Sheehan: (Laughs) “I love it. I don’t know how well the album did because it’s hard to track things like that, but I must have signed hundreds of them in South America.”

BraveWords.com: In case you weren’t aware, Sonrisa Salvaje is scheduled to be remastered and re-released in Europe this year.

Sheehan: “I did not know that.”

BraveWords.com: I’d really like a remastered version of the English Eat ‘Em And Smile...

Sheehan: “You know, there’s a couple of bonus tracks they could put on Eat ‘Em And Smile and the original tour was shot professionally. There’s video and I’ve got it!”

BraveWords.com: One more question about Sonrisa Salvaje. Did you simply sing over the existing tapes or did you also re-record the music?

Sheehan: “We just re-did the vocals.”
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Push for it (remastered EEAS) Billy!! Get us those bonus tracks and video!!

Comment

• vandeleur
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Sep 2009

Love to see the video of the tour !!!!
      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• TJMKID
        Veteran
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by vandeleur
        Love to see the video of the tour !!!!

My holy grail is still a DVD of the entire '81 Oakland VH show ---- but a pro-shot EEAS concert would be fuckin' sweet ---- that was a smokin' hot band ---- make it happen!

Comment

• Coyote
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr Walker
          BraveWords.com: I’d really like a remastered version of the English Eat ‘Em And Smile...

Sheehan: “You know, there’s a couple of bonus tracks they could put on Eat ‘Em And Smile and the original tour was shot professionally. There’s video and I’ve got it!”
          I'd buy both in a heartbeat!
          Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Zing!
            Veteran
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Coyote
            I'd buy both in a heartbeat!
            No doubt - that would be pretty sweet. Love to see a complete pro-shot vid of that tour get released. As for bonus tracks, I always thought the tune 'Bad Habits' from the 'Diamond Dave' album sounded like an EE&S leftover, but apparently that was cut a full decade later. His voice sounds great on that tune, very EE&S-ish. Kind of surprised there ARE any extra tracks from that session. From Dave's account in his book, they didn't have much time to come up with what they did.
            My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

In a previous interview, Sheehan claimed to have the original master tape for SkyCrapper, before it became the keyboard drenched over-produced mess that caused him to leave the band. Can't believe he hasn't leaked that thing to the torrent sites yet.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                In a previous interview, Sheehan claimed to have the original master tape for SkyCrapper, before it became the keyboard drenched over-produced mess that caused him to leave the band. Can't believe he hasn't leaked that thing to the torrent sites yet.
                I'll beg him to burn me a copy of it next time I run into him at Whole Foods...
                Originally posted by conmee
                If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                Originally posted by eddie78
                I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                  Can't believe he hasn't leaked that thing to the torrent sites yet.
                  You and me both. As you know by now (thanks to our discussions on the subject over the years), words can not describe how badly I'd love to hear this thing.

Originally posted by jhale667
                  I'll beg him to burn me a copy of it next time I run into him at Whole Foods...
                  Take him to the prepared foods section and get him to try the killer mac and cheese. (Seriously.)

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jagermeister
                    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

I don't know if I would buy this remaster or not unless it did have some type of bonus materal.

Comment

• chefcraig
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                      I don't know if I would buy this remaster or not unless it did have some type of bonus materal.
                      I agree. It's not like after listening to this album for the past quarter of a century or so that you're going to suddenly hear a triangle you've never heard before on "Ladies Night In Buffalo."

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by chefcraig
                        I agree. It's not like after listening to this album for the past quarter of a century or so that you're going to suddenly hear a triangle you've never heard before on "Ladies Night In Buffalo."
                        It's 2 AM and traffic's slow (tingggg)
                        It must be ladies night in Buffalo (tinggggg)

Aahh, I can hear now.

Comment

• rocking ron
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Sep 2010

I like that bootleg cd-r with 6 or 7 demo version's from EEAS!!

Comment

• TwoFoolsAMinute
                            Sniper
                            • Apr 2004

I've been listening to the entire solo catalog lately, and EEAS and Skyscraper are definitely a step down sonically from everything else and the VH remasters. It could certainly use a remaster.

Comment

• hambon4lif
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jun 2004

I wonder if one of the 'bonus tracks' Billy is referring to is their version of this....

I remember reading at the time that they were in the studio working on it....

Comment

Working...