SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,554 Times in 3,443 Posts

Ryan Leaf Arrested for Theft

And no, it's not for the theft of his NFL salary...

HELENA, Mont. -- Former NFL quarterback Ryan Leaf was arrested Friday in his Montana hometown of Great Falls on burglary and drug possession charges, police said.

The circumstances surrounding Leaf's arrest were not immediately clear. Great Falls Police Sgt. Dean Bennett, who confirmed Leaf's arrest, said Friday night that he had not seen a report detailing the allegations against the ex-football player.

lastname
    Leaf

"I've made some mistakes, and have no excuses," Leaf said Friday night in a statement. "I am using the tools I've learned to move forward rather than backwards, and will be open to talking about the details in the days to come. I am confident that there will be further understanding when the facts are revealed, and feel very blessed for all of the support, especially from my friends and family."

Leaf was booked on felony charges of burglary of a residence and criminal possession of dangerous drugs, plus a first-time charge of misdemeanor theft, Cascade County Detention Center Officer Robert Rivera said.

Leaf was freed on $76,000 bond and is scheduled to make an initial court appearance on Monday.

Leaf, a former standout quarterback for Washington State, was the No. 2 pick in the 1998 draft behind Peyton Manning. But Leaf flamed out as quarterback for the San Diego Chargers, gaining a reputation as one of the biggest busts in NFL history.

There is no phone listing for Leaf in Great Falls. A message left at his parents' house was not immediately returned Friday night. It was not clear whether he had hired an attorney.

Last year, Leaf had surgery to remove a benign tumor from his brain stem and later underwent additional radiation treatments.

On March 21, Leaf told an Associated Press reporter in an email exchange that he had struggled through treatments and had an MRI scheduled for the end of the month, but "I'm doing/feeling much better and am excited for the rest of 2012."

Friday's arrest also raises the question of whether his arrest means the 10-year probation plea agreement he negotiated with Texas prosecutors stemming from drug and burglary charges in 2009 will be revoked.

James Farren, the Randall County district attorney who negotiated the 2010 plea agreement, did not immediately return a text message seeking comment on Leaf's arrest in Montana.

In 2008, when Leaf was a quarterbacks coach for Division II West Texas A&M, he was accused of burglarizing a player's home. An investigation turned up that Leaf had obtained nearly 1,000 pain pills from area pharmacies in an eight-month span.

He resigned that year, was indicted in 2009 and the next year pleaded guilty to eight felony drug charges. Besides the 10 years probation, Leaf was fined $20,000.

Last year, he authored a book titled "596 Switch" -- the name of a passing play in the Washington State playbook -- that focused on the 1997 season when he led the Cougars to their first Rose Bowl in six decades.

ESPN.com

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Skills That Thrill
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    11-15-2023 @ 08:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The guy is his own worst enemy. Slow.. gradual trainwreck..
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-16-2024 @ 07:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

so sad.... shows talent is not enough to get you through life

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Sad.

Such a blemish on my city & team too. Remember it was Peyton 1 & Ryan 2. We paid him an $11 million signing bonus right off the bat. Then he married probably the hottest woman I have ever seen in my life. Super famous financial advisor / wealth manager Ray Luccias daughter. You just know daddy handled his money & hooked the 2 up. Even if she didn't like him, she took daddys sound financial advice. they divorced at the beginning of his meltdown.

I kinda feel bad for Ryan leaf now because he got onto the pain pills legitimately and now they control him. They are really evil little beasts.........I know

Never liked the guy but fuck it....best of luck Ryan. Hope you turn your shit around.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post

Mental strength is more important than talent. Ryan buckled under the pressure. Look at Tim Tebow. Not nearly as good of a throwing motion as Ryan, but thriving because he is very mind strong.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-11-2024 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,990 Times in 3,229 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post

Thread Information