• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carmine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
    I even like the production...

It sounds way better than the big fake reverb and fake snare sound of most late 80s records...
    Agreed...it's the one complaint I have towards Eat em and Smile and Skyscraper...Bissonette is sadly reduced and lost on these records, IMO...but comes alive with major boom on A little aint enough...ALAE also, IMO was Dave's best sounding solo album and still my favorite to this day...

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

I like the fact that they all went to the same studio in the same day. VH bros in the day, Dave at night. Pretty much like it was in the old days. I am curious though. Do you guys think Dave was ever there while any music was being laid out? Or was either VH there during Daves time?

I'd like to think in my mind that they were there some times together grooving to the new stuff.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Seshmeister
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
        Yeah, but where was the bass? Vai bragged that he should have been credited with the title, producer and Dave the co-producer. He was a bit too busy trying to apply his Flex-Able techniques to a big production and things got lost.
        A perfect example is the solo to Damn Good.

Vai writes out the music for it backwards, reverses the tape and records it and then turns the tape back the right way(you could do all this on your fucking phone in a second nowadays but that's beside the point.)

Voila you have the original melody but with the echo at the start and the attack at the end of each note but unfortunately it sounds shit.

This is the point where a good producer says 'Well that was interesting but lets not use it.'

Comment

• BenJammin
          Foot Soldier
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Mr Walker

When “Tattoo” was released, with the wonderful and very unique black-and-white video, it immediately stirred up a reaction. Many of us absolutely loved it straight out of the box, and others … not so much. Any theories as to why there was such a split response?

I think the video was intentional. They shot it at the Roxy, they kept it lean and mean, it’s not a big budget at all. I think it was OK for it to be the first single. I think it’s fine. I think “She’s The Woman” is the next single, and that’s even more classic Van Halen and I think it will do really well. But people need to shut the f— up. It is what it is. Relax. It’s fun, it’s playful, it’s got the big backgrounds and everyone needs to not worry so much. Let it be. It’s not as light as some of their other stuff or as heavy. It’s a good calling card, and I think the follow-up is the right choice; from what I understand, it is the follow-up. Everyone should just enjoy the ride a little bit. At some point in your life you’ve got to realize that it’s a time capsule, it is what it is, it’s Van Halen, it got done, it came out, they’re back and that’s it. At the end of the day, it’s Eddie, Dave, Alex and Wolf — and it’s awesome!

But....but.... it doesn't sound like all the other stuff on the radio and iTunes that everyone else is listening to and Dave doesn't have long hair anymore and he's older than 30 so how can it be cool for me to post a 'like' for it on Facebook ?
          Last edited by BenJammin; 04-04-2012, 05:35 PM.
          "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Comment

• katina
            Commando
            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Seshmeister
            A perfect example is the solo to Damn Good.

Vai writes out the music for it backwards, reverses the tape and records it and then turns the tape back the right way(you could do all this on your fucking phone in a second nowadays but that's beside the point.)

Voila you have the original melody but with the echo at the start and the attack at the end of each note but unfortunately it sounds shit.

This is the point where a good producer says 'Well that was interesting but lets not use it.'
            As you said, it´s a perfect example. I wished the producer had not used it.

Comment

• chi-town324
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Feb 2007

good stuff...this lineup is legendary...including the kid...how could you not think they are one of the all time greats?

Comment

• katina
                Commando
                • Mar 2012

Originally posted by chi-town324
                good stuff...this lineup is legendary...including the kid...how could you not think they are one of the all time greats?
                I agree with you, it´s good stuff , but not for a record, it´s just my point of view.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Carmine
                  Agreed...it's the one complaint I have towards Eat em and Smile and Skyscraper...Bissonette is sadly reduced and lost on these records, IMO...but comes alive with major boom on A little aint enough...ALAE also, IMO was Dave's best sounding solo album and still my favorite to this day...
                  I'd readily agree that ALAE sounds much better than Skyscraper from a production standpoint.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• katina
                    Commando
                    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by chi-town324
                    For better understanding:
                    I agree with you, it´s good stuff, but not for a David Lee Roth´s record. And yes for a Steve Vai´s record, again it´s just my point of view.

Comment

• Yount
                      Commando
                      • Jan 2012

Top notch read. Wolf. haha. C'mon people!! How many times in Wolf's past do you think he would have been accosted by some true blue Van Halen fan and told about the good ol days? "Hey kid, your old man is still waking up, I once saw him and Dave... yada yada convert convert....

If Wolf had any brains and two ears he was sure to discover what I discovered. Ed was sure to remember the old days as "good" and VH was DESTINED to unite once more!

Comment

• Zing!
                        Veteran
                        • Oct 2011

A cool read - and nice to see that Shanks 'gets it' with regard to Van Halen - and particularly to Dave. He went out of his way to praise the man, and you have to wonder how often he does that for the artists he works for. I was also on the fence when his name was announced as producer - but I'm on board for a follow-up album as well! Thanks for sharing...
                        My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2005

It’s more beat poetry or jazz; it’s more that kind of thing. It’s more R&B.
                          That is the PERFECT description of Uncle Dave's writing style. Not necessarily "lyrics", more like spoken-word poetry layered on top of the music.

Comment

• IceCreamBlondie
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Dec 2008

Great Read ! Thanks for posting....Loved all the details on our man Roth. !!!!!
                            I'm Stayin' Frosty!

Comment

• Panamark
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Awesome read, thanks for posting. (Sesh and Mr W !)
                              Its nice to read other people interpretations on what we have always known.
                              This stuff is bang on the money.
                              BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                              Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

Working...