Complete video of 1983 Montevideo, Uruguay concert FOUND!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcrizzy
    Roth Army Recruit
    • Feb 2012

Well well well....
    1. my first thought was... holy jesus a new bootleg gem. woo hoo. looks legit
    2. then started to get skeptical like most of us here.... why would Ed play the double neck outside of Secrets.... maybe just a good edit job
    BUT...
    3. I've come back around to this is legit new footage !!!! ... and that is YRGM with double neck.

i'll admit i haven't studied the other 83/S.Amer vids recently to compare (i still need to complete my '83 S.America collection!) -- but did quick looks on youtube.
    and this video def seems legit...

1. it is YRGM being played. Most notable by Dave singing plus his ass-less chaps (did he ever where those during SECRETS??? I don't think so).
    2. So this would seem to legitimately be YRGM being played w Ed on double neck. Very odd for sure...but seems legit. Clearly see Dave singing while Ed's in background w double neck.
    3. Ed's playing. While some parts could seem to be Secrets doctored over YRGM audio. But Ed's solo seems to be spot on with finger tapping part especially for YRGM. That couldn't be any part of Secrets solo - even if doctored up. hmmm

I'm thinking it's real...but wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong.. ha.
    even so....looks like a very nice quality video from S.America

Originally posted by scottxconn
    Although this is my first post on the Army, I've enjoyed the website for a while now. I've been a CVH fan all my life.

A friend recently gave me a copy of the complete video of the band's 1983 show in Montevideo, Uruguay. In the 80's, his ex-wife worked at a company which did business with the band's management, and she was able to access the band's library of recordings. The recording is similar to that of the other concerts in circulation from that tour, including the A/V quality, although the band has a bit more energy on this one, and the crowd was really into it the whole night.

His ex was able to copy quite a bit of material back then, including several complete proshots from different tours with Dave which are not in circulation yet. I saw the list of recordings he has, and the best way to describe it is that it's a goldmine. Aside from the Uruguay show, the only other footage he showed me was of a proshot of one of the 1984 shows; the camerawork and video quality is amazing. I had to ask him about the Grail, and his ex wasn't able to find anything, just the three videos of the Oakland show already in circulation.

I'm sure most of you are doubting the existence of the Uruguay recording, as it's been almost thirty years since the show. So I've posted a clip of the night's last song, YRGM, on YouTube, for which I'm attaching the link below. I'd like to share the concert video, and I'm now working on cleaning up the A/V.

I hope you all enjoy the clip. All the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1r8QG76QxY
    Last edited by jcrizzy; 04-19-2012, 02:42 AM.

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

Well????

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE DUDE????

WE WANT MORE INFO!!!

Comment

• Mushroom
        Commando
        • Jul 2009

I would like to point out that his user name is "....XConn" ... read between the lines.

He registered and posted once. He probably got a good laugh at our hair splitting analyses.

The video footage and music/Ed's playing totally appear to be in sync.

If the guy is legit, he probably got super excited and posted immediately. And then he takes his sweet time to do a good job while we get wet and/or rabid.

Comment

• DONNIEP
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
          Well????

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE DUDE????

WE WANT MORE INFO!!!
          He's locked up in an editing booth...It takes weeks now to edit, splice and sling tons of bullshit. I mean, ProTools can only do so much, man.
          American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Mr Walker
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

The dude that runs the Royal Orleans Zeppelin site (who is very reliable and kick ass) said this last week...

Is that "new?" I'm pretty sure I have it on a VHS I traded for clear back in 90s. :?

You mean the master source? I just rummaged through my pile of VHS tapes, and there it is, "Van Halen Uraguay '83," right down to the misspelling of Uruguay. I don't remember too much about it other than the video quality being similar to the US Festival. I'll transfer it if anyone thinks it is worth the effort, but I don't recall being all that impressed 15+ years ago.

Given the age of the tape, if I'm going to run it I want to run the entire thing start-to-finish. I should have time this weekend. Back to your regularly scheduled VH reunion thread...

I'll keep everyone here posted.

Comment

• Von Halen
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by Mr Walker
              The dude that runs the Royal Orleans Zeppelin site (who is very reliable and kick ass) said this last week...

Is that "new?" I'm pretty sure I have it on a VHS I traded for clear back in 90s. :?

You mean the master source? I just rummaged through my pile of VHS tapes, and there it is, "Van Halen Uraguay '83," right down to the misspelling of Uruguay. I don't remember too much about it other than the video quality being similar to the US Festival. I'll transfer it if anyone thinks it is worth the effort, but I don't recall being all that impressed 15+ years ago.

Given the age of the tape, if I'm going to run it I want to run the entire thing start-to-finish. I should have time this weekend. Back to your regularly scheduled VH reunion thread...

I'll keep everyone here posted.
              I was thinking I have this show on VHS, but I am not positive, so I didn't say anything.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

Ahhh. Well, I must say I have not heard of the show before. Just not one that has gotten a lot of publicity in Bootleg World I guess.

Kickass.

Comment

• fourthcoming

Always loved Van Halen's versions of Summertime Blues, Heartbreak Hotel and especially Lucille.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by fourthcoming
                    Always loved Van Halen's versions of Summertime Blues, Heartbreak Hotel and especially Lucille.
                    Same here, and they broke out Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers on that tour as well. Do you realize how far ahead of their time VH would have been if Diver Down was an album of all cover tunes? So many acts doing that these days. I heard Lucille once on You-Tube but can't find it anymore. Can someone please post that lil' gem?

Comment

• fourthcoming

I have it on a boot somewhere....may actually have it on my ipod too......I'll take a look.....not the best sound quality...but not the worst.

Comment

• VAiN
                        Use my hand, I won't look
                        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Looks like this was a fucking tease, huh?
                        Originally posted by wiseguy
                        That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2005

Well, we need Mr. Walker to contact the dude at the Zep site who offered to transfer it from VHS.

He DID offer.

I would love to have this for my collection.

Comment

• diamondclaudio
                            Roadie
                            • Jan 2004

Gotta move

Well. I´ve waited enough, ang got no results. I guess I would talk Mr Berch Rupenian, the guy that brought VH to Uruguay and ¨d ask him for a copy, I think he´sgot a tape. What do you say?

Comment

• VAiN
                              Use my hand, I won't look
                              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Go for it.. It's been a year.
                              Originally posted by wiseguy
                              That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• AlanCBerry
                                Full On Cocktard
                                • Jun 2022

Did anyone happen to save this video?

Comment

Working...