Eddie's defining solo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sensible Shoes View Post
    Funny, Beat It came on the radio tonight and I got a chance to listen. Didn't blow my socks off.
    The Beat It solo wasn't exactly mindblowing for me, either, but I imagine for someone who hadn't heard what Eddie Van Halen was doing until Thriller was released hearing Beat It as their first exposure would be somewhat jawdropping.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Of course PUSH COMES TO SHOVE!
      http://vhfrance.activebb.net/ (1 er Site Francophone sur Van Halen)

http://www.youtube.com/user/VHFranceVideos (Our new Channel)

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
        It'd have to be Eruption.

Did Dance The Night Away even have what could be defined as a proper guitar solo? Not too sure about that track as a poll choice...

Light Up The Sky wouldn't really spring to mind as one of Ed's most memorable, either.

Eruption was a jaw-dropping display of where rock guitar was headed. Possibly more so for budding guitarists than the larger record buying public (I'd tend to agree that Beat It was very instrumental in introducing Eddie Van Halen and Van Halen to a much wider audience than they tended to reach around 1982, and this along with Jump probably broadened their audience and made 1984 such a big smash...much bigger than Diver Down). However, Eruption is just one of those defining moments in the evolution of rock guitar.
        Couldn't have said it better.
        Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

I should also add that other than the lick on Beat It, as far as official VH albums go, the solos on 'Bottoms Up' are hard to beat. Hands down my favorite - particularly the second that ends the song. The musical definition of BAD ASS.
          My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

I voted Eruption because it is his DEFINING solo. However, Push Comes To Shove is his best in my opinion.
            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
              I mean, I enjoyed what Ed did on DTNA as well, but have never thought of the song as having a solo as such....
              So what is it then? A tasty fill? An Eddie-supermarket-sample?

Comment

Originally posted by Yount View Post
                So what is it then? A tasty fill? An Eddie-supermarket-sample?
                DTNA has no solo in it and Ed did mention at one point that...and its somewhere in my guitar world issues that he did not consider that song relevant guitarwise...anyways my words not his words but it sums it up well...supermarket but I like it alot ...but no guitar solos in that song.

Comment

I voted Eruption.

Comment

Eruption isn't really a solo to me. It's a piece of music. Or a song for that matter. Hot For Teacher is everything Van Halen is. It's fun, mean, in your face & has one of Ed's top 3 solo's on it. Plus the coolest video ever on MTV !

Comment

I wonder what Ed, Dave and the gang think when they read these threads...and I suspect some of them are even posting in here...lol...love you all

Comment

Originally posted by So this is love View Post
                        I wonder what Ed, Dave and the gang think when they read these threads...and I suspect some of them are even posting in here...lol...love you all
                        Dave's gotta be someone here, right?

My vote is GAR.
                        My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

Originally posted by 78/84 guy View Post
                          Eruption isn't really a solo to me. It's a piece of music. Or a song for that matter. Hot For Teacher is everything Van Halen is. It's fun, mean, in your face & has one of Ed's top 3 solo's on it. Plus the coolest video ever on MTV !
                          Agreed. "Eruption" stands alone as a composition in its own right.
                          Originally posted by perilouspete
                          fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

Although it's not listed I think "Little Dreamer" is quite amazing.
                            I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Comment

Eruption is the most defining.

HFT is my favourite.

(I actually really love the music in Humans Being.......)
                              The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

i aint heard much van hagar except for hearing the inital album that came out ...shudder ...but have heard humans being . I have to say i like some of ed's guitar work on it and liked the pacing of the song .. tho the chorus seemd a bit lame and sammys voice just blurgh
                                fuck your fucking framing

Comment

Working...
                                X