Eddie's defining solo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddie's defining solo

Just curious as to your thoughts on Ed's defining solo.
    a:10:{i:6822;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:6822;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"60627";s:5:"title";s:19:"Push comes to shove";s:5:"votes";i:4;s:6:"voters";a:4:{i:0;s:4:"3871";i:1;s:5:"23921";i:2;s:4:"7379";i:3;s:5:"13748";}}i:6823;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:6823;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"60627";s:5:"title";s:8:"Eruption";s:5:"votes";i:20;s:6:"voters";a:20:{i:0;s:5:"24919";i:1;s:5:"24030";i:2;s:5:"24130";i:3;s:4:"5738";i:4;s:5:"28145";i:5;s:4:"5688";i:6;s:3:"181";i:7;s:4:"7038";i:8;s:5:"27733";i:9;s:5:"27806";i:10;s:5:"27896";i:11;s:4:"6381";i:12;s:5:"28249";i:13;s:4:"3324";i:14;s:4:"4146";i:15;s:4:"1103";i:16;s:4:"3504";i:17;s:5:"20165";i:18;s:2:"32";i:19;s:5:"23565";}}i:6824;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:6824;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"60627";s:5:"title";s:7:"Beat it";s:5:"votes";i:3;s:6:"voters";a:3:{i:0;s:4:"5688";i:1;s:5:"27771";i:2;s:5:"12060";}}i:6825;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:6825;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"60627";s:5:"title";s:20:"Dance the night away";s:5:"votes";i:0;s:6:"voters";a:0:{}}i:6826;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:6826;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"60627";s:5:"title";s:15:"Hot for teacher";s:5:"votes";i:5;s:6:"voters";a:5:{i:0;s:5:"25547";i:1;s:5:"27964";i:2;s:4:"5688";i:3;s:5:"12663";i:4;s:5:"11316";}}i:6827;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:6827;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"60627";s:5:"title";s:16:"Light up the sky";s:5:"votes";i:0;s:6:"voters";a:0:{}}i:6828;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:6828;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"60627";s:5:"title";s:9:"Cathedral";s:5:"votes";i:1;s:6:"voters";a:1:{i:0;s:2:"32";}}i:6829;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:6829;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"60627";s:5:"title";s:22:"Runnin' with the devil";s:5:"votes";i:0;s:6:"voters";a:0:{}}i:6830;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:6830;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"60627";s:5:"title";s:12:"Humans being";s:5:"votes";i:0;s:6:"voters";a:0:{}}i:6831;a:5:{s:12:"polloptionid";i:6831;s:6:"nodeid";s:5:"60627";s:5:"title";s:14:"Drop dead legs";s:5:"votes";i:3;s:6:"voters";a:3:{i:0;s:4:"5688";i:1;s:4:"9783";i:2;s:5:"28890";}}}
    0%

I voted for Hot For Teacher studio recording. The solo sums up perfectly the story of the song. It seems EVH never gets out of ideas. And all makes really sense.

It's the epitome of an EVH solo.

Comment

Personal feelings aside, I have to go with Eruption.........that solo changed how guitar was played and brought a strat-styled guitar to the forefront of hard rock.

It is his defining solo......if you use the criteria of influence, changing how guitar is played, the style of guitars that became popular and guitar tone that one solo changed it all.

My personal fav, on the list is DDL but I voted for Eruption.
      Originally posted by vandeleur
      E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

Am with k .... Eruption started it all .. Fuck , he still plays it
        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

....and he's back to the old Eddie Van Fuckin' Halen!
          Originally posted by vandeleur
          E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

I went with "Push Comes To Shove", as it contains examples of just about everything that I love about the guy's playing. But in terms of cultural significance, it would hard to top "Beat It." That little solo right there dramatically altered the landscape of so-called pop music, and was a game-changer for just about anyone that heard it.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

It does not matter how killer any of Eddies' solos are. Eruption will always and forever be the most known as "Ed's defining solo" to the world. But for me out of this list it is between DDL and Push. ...I had to vote Eruption just because.

Comment

Originally posted by chefcraig View Post
                I went with "Push Comes To Shove", as it contains examples of just about everything that I love about the guy's playing. But in terms of cultural significance, it would hard to top "Beat It." That little solo right there dramatically altered the landscape of so-called pop music, and was a game-changer for just about anyone that heard it.
                I'll get flamed for saying this, but I have to agree. Ed's solo on Beat It is amazing.
                My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

Originally posted by Zing! View Post
                  I'll get flamed for saying this, but I have to agree. Ed's solo on Beat It is amazing.
                  To truly put it into perspective, consider everything that took place after it. Run DMC hooks up with Aerosmith, The Beastie Boys released Licensed To Ill, Anthrax puts out I'm The Man, Faith No More came up with what is arguably their only good album (The Real Thing), and metal bands started hooking up with rappers.

On the negative side, the combination also lead to the ghastly sound of Nu Metal and talent-free twit bands like Korn and Limp Triscuit, the latter of which contained the dubious and quite frankly questionable artistic merit of Fred Durst, a man whose one claim to fame would be introducing date-rape rock to a generation of frat-boy assholes and sadists.

"Beat It" allowed for a cultural cross-over in genres of music that followed it, good, bad or just plain awful.
                  Last edited by chefcraig; 04-07-2012, 03:12 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

the knuckleboner's favorite? ice cream man.
                    most significance for rock? eruption, nothing else close.
                    i would disagree that beat it led to limp bizkit. (with or without beat it, rick rubin makes the move to walk this way.) but, without question, eddie's guitar helped launch michael jackson to the statosphere. having a van halen guitar on a black pop music song got it on MTV. michael jackson's career, and all of pop music that followed was the result.

Comment

It'd have to be Eruption.

Did Dance The Night Away even have what could be defined as a proper guitar solo? Not too sure about that track as a poll choice...

Light Up The Sky wouldn't really spring to mind as one of Ed's most memorable, either.

Eruption was a jaw-dropping display of where rock guitar was headed. Possibly more so for budding guitarists than the larger record buying public (I'd tend to agree that Beat It was very instrumental in introducing Eddie Van Halen and Van Halen to a much wider audience than they tended to reach around 1982, and this along with Jump probably broadened their audience and made 1984 such a big smash...much bigger than Diver Down). However, Eruption is just one of those defining moments in the evolution of rock guitar.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

We're so blessed to have a choice with Ed. I had to cull the poll list down from 20, and had a very enjoyable time just going through the solos from each song one-by-one. I chose Beat It also, but really.... coulda gone with anything really. Was tempted to say DTNA; short, sweet, girl-friendly. That song should have been number 1, what a shame!

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                          Did Dance The Night Away even have what could be defined as a proper guitar solo? Not too sure about that track as a poll choice...

Light Up The Sky wouldn't really spring to mind as one of Ed's most memorable, either.
                          I probably let my personal bias influence Light Up The Sky and Humans Being. Sorry I missed Jump too. But Dance the night away... yeah I know. Wasn't sure if you could call it a solo, but it's just very very memorable moment and so very tasty before the outro chorus.

So what was the big favourite in 1979 when II was released?? Surely not Spanish fly?? Outta love again?

And also... what about breaking it down into eras. Van Hagar defining solo? Van Cherone?

I'd go with maybe Judgement day (the two-handed tapping on the fretboard) or Top of the world...
                          and...
                          er, Year to the day

Comment

Funny, Beat It came on the radio tonight and I got a chance to listen. Didn't blow my socks off.

Oh dear.

Comment

Originally posted by Yount View Post
                              I probably let my personal bias influence Light Up The Sky and Humans Being. Sorry I missed Jump too. But Dance the night away... yeah I know. Wasn't sure if you could call it a solo, but it's just very very memorable moment and so very tasty before the outro chorus.

So what was the big favourite in 1979 when II was released?? Surely not Spanish fly?? Outta love again?

And also... what about breaking it down into eras. Van Hagar defining solo? Van Cherone?

I'd go with maybe Judgement day (the two-handed tapping on the fretboard) or Top of the world...
                              and...
                              er, Year to the day
                              Far as 1979 goes, I'd say either Somebody Get Me A Doctor, DOA or Outta Love Again far as strictly solos went.

Spanish Fly was very fine, but a bit too much like an acoustic version of Eruption too be nearly as unique.

I mean, I enjoyed what Ed did on DTNA as well, but have never thought of the song as having a solo as such...but hey, that's just me being a cunt as per norm.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...
                              X