Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stomp Box Addiction? Compulsive FX Disorder? You decide......

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-16-2024 @ 07:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Are you on dope? The two are not comparable but for sake of argument, I will anyway.

For one, Jimmy Page does have talent. He has to to be able to pull of the blatant thievery such as he did. His "chops" as a guitar player were marginal at best and thus hardly worth "respect." Page came from a sheltered white English suburban background (as did all of the members of Zep) who, like most white players who appreciated black/blues music never completely understood it; he managed to keep his audience just as ignorant and maintained it by flying Zeppelin (pun intended) under the plagiarist radar for years. If I am to ever give that limey rat bastard any credit it would be in the way Page handled Zeppelin as a businessman more than musician. Of course, a lot of Zep's success did lie with Peter Grant who shred business tactics gave Zeppelin that lewd reputation they were so know for off stage. Page definitively knew how to run Zep like a corporation. He thumbed his nose at the top brass of Atlantic Records never allowing any one of them in a session or give any criticism or input. In fact, Page went to great lengths to draw out contracts to keep record execs out of his doings as long as they sold records. Page also shut out "hangers on", groupies, even family members and allowed for little democratic process when it came to the rest of band's ideas to present themselves. Plant said it himself that Zep was "purely Jimmy's band and that the rest of us were just the missing pieces he needed to fill in his attitude." It's no surprise Plant has no interest in a Zeppelin reunion.

Page was/is an asshole and by rights had to be to keep Zeppelin as popular as he did. Problem with him (as with the rest of the Zeppelin) is that Page let his own success fuck him up: drugs, alcohol, lawsuits for his plagiarism, and a dwindling lack of ideas from 'Physical Graffiti' onwards. To me, all but the first Zep record were recorded poorly with bad mixes and horrible overdubs. Their last album is by far the most ear fatigue listening bag of shit I've ever heard, garbled nonsense made by a junkie fuckwit still disillusioned by the notion that he had something left in him to say. He did not and has not ever since.

Eddie, on the other hand, also came from a white suburban sheltered lifestyle, but unlike Page, came out with a sound that was unheard of before. Eddie never really revolutionized guitar playing but he did in the way of electric guitar tone. Eddie built his own axe from the ground up, he took the instrument to a new level in a way that shocked many people in that the guitar didn't have to play the same role as it always did (especially in a power trio setup). Eddie was/is a thief, too but unlike Page was vociferous abut who he stole from and instead of recycling his influences, he took what he liked, revamped it and tossed out the rest. Unlike Page, Eddie was not a good businessman with VH instead opting for focusing his interest in the playing rather than the money. Eddie made some horrible decisions: the hiring of Hagar, refusing payment for playing on Michel Jackson's record, and then the abomination that was VH III comes to mind. In fact it was Hager alone that literally destroyed anything that was pure about VH, turning the band into another bunch of overpaid rockstar scum and VH went to fun to just another shitty corporate-influenced machine selling their souls to the likes of Pepsi for fuck's sake. That was really the end of VH as far I am concerned.

Like Page, Eddie was a fuck up. Again, drugs, drink, cancer and even a failed marriage took the best out of him (he never really played the same since). Unilke Page, Eddie alienated his hard core fan base remaining reclusive and a wee bit angry as a result. The VH 2004 Tour was a god damn joke, a last hurrah for the Sammy's bank account and VH's credibility. Even with this new album (which leaves me unsettled), finds Eddie attempting to redeem himself and he seems to have the right attitude to make it through. And finally, every VH album (yes, including the Sammy years) were well recorded, produced and mixed as to any shitty, hissy ear fatigue crap that was Zeppelin. At least VH put some god damn thought process into the making of a record!

So you see they are not "gods" but rather fuck up alcoholics and junkies who are not immune to criticisms for their mistakes in life. Eddie is a musical genius but is also an asshole. Jimmy Page is just an asshole.
    I did not say they were saint in anyways....talentwise (totally dig the songs they've written) for me these two guys are up there and they are GUITAR GODS...Now for the rest of your post I agree somewhat you but that was not the point of my comment...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    "Jimmy Page plays like he has a broken hand or something. He's a great producer and Led Zeppelin I and II are very good albums but I've never seen Jimmy Page play well live." --Eddie Van Halen--

Led Zeppelin were managed by mobsters. Bill Graham had a nasty run in with them. Led Zeppelin was playing at a show Graham was promoting. They wanted a lot of money in cash in advance. Graham had to go to several banks to get the cash and then when he arrived, Zeppelin's manager was there with heavily armed drug thugs who wanted to be paid. They money was for the drugs. Then one of Graham's roadies told some kid breaking into a backstage area to get lost. It turned out it was John Bonham's son and Zeppelin's manager and Bonham demanded to see the roadie. When the roadie entered the trailer they locked the door so Bill Graham couldn't get in and worked his roadie over almost killing him. Bill Graham who was a holocaust survivor said the thuggery he saw backstage at that Led Zeppelin show reminded him of Nazi Germany. They band and their management had that mentality and they were just plain thugs believing them to be above the law and decency. Bill Graham swore he would do all he could to keep that band from ever coming to the San Francisco Bay area ever again. Clearly the band had ties to some well connected criminal organizations and felt they had license to abuse and do whatever they wanted.
    I am well aware of Ed's comment it was in GW. As for the history bit, this world we live right now is not any different just being runned in a more hypocrit way.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,062 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by So this is love View Post
    (totally dig the songs they've written)
    I do too. As in burying them - especially the Hagar years.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    Page was always a pop-sloppy guitar player. Fuck him. I hope he dies a painful death and soon.
    He always looked like a dork on stage. First he wore sweaters on stage and then he went even gayer than that by going with those hideous dragon suits.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2018 @ 02:00 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Okay, you are on drugs.

Their sound was heard before. I'd say try listening to any artist on the Chess Record label first before saying such an absurdity.
    Give me an example, please. So we can investigate it track per track.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries

What goes around comes around.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I do too. As in burying them - especially the Hagar years.
    Was refering to EVH and JP writing......I like where SH is now ie Absent

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    Give me an example, please. So we can investigate it track per track.
    No. There will no investigation until you see a therapist.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    He always looked like a dork on stage. First he wore sweaters on stage and then he went even gayer than that by going with those hideous dragon suits.
    Yeah, his ego-tripping pseudo-Lucerferian horrible fashion sense. Compile that with his shitty playing - it makes no sense to me. Jimmy Page is the Dane Cook of rock 'n' roll. Plagiarizing embarrassing hack.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No. There will no investigation until you see a therapist.
    Lame! Tell me what music of the 60s is comparable.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,092 Times in 2,003 Posts

Blog Entries
    Why are Boss DD3's so in demand over the other shit they have made since?
    Probably just the simplicity... I have a DD-7 that I liked since it did more than the DD-3.

I never really paid much attention to any new Analog Delays... I have a 1978 MXR Analog Delay that I bought new. Never looked back and still use it some today...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Lame! Tell me what music of the 60s is comparable.
    60's music? What are you on about?

Look, I don't have the time, money or effort to send you away to a proper musical reeducation camp even if such a place ever existed. You have been brainwashed by Page propaganda or "Pageaganda" as it is commonly known.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Probably just the simplicity... I have a DD-7 that I liked since it did more than the DD-3.

I never really paid much attention to any new Analog Delays... I have a 1978 MXR Analog Delay that I bought new. Never looked back and still use it some today...

I have a few Boss pedals that belonged to an old boyfriend who still owes me money. I should really Craigslist that stuff - along with his guitars.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

60's music? What are you on about?
    You said the sound of the band was heard before. So it must be the 60s. Led Zeppelin's first record came out 1969.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post

LOVE those...wish I'd bought one as a kid... I saw a vintage on in a shop in Hollywood going for some astronomical price...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    You said the sound of the band was heard before. So it must be the 60s. Led Zeppelin's first record came out 1969.
    Um, Jimmy stole from everybody who he thought were too obscure for his ignorant fan base that has little to do with the 60's: Howlin' Wolf; Sleepy John Estes; Albert King; Sonny Boy Williamson (especially him); Ledbelly; Blind Willie McTell; Little Walter. Although many of these artist were still alive in the 60's, Jimmy had no financial respect for them.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Um, Jimmy stole from everybody who he thought were too obscure for his ignorant fan base that has little to do with the 60's: Howlin' Wolf; Sleepy John Estes; Albert King; Sonny Boy Williamson (especially him); Ledbelly; Blind Willie McTell; Little Walter. Although many of these artist were still alive in the 60's, Jimmy had no financial respect for them.
    Like everybody he has the right to have influences. He's really not alone with that.

Give me a band name which you think they sound like Zep of the 60s.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Yeah, right to not steal from without a shred of courtesy.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, right to not steal from without a shred of courtesy.
    For Blues-Licks? Almost every guitarist plays them.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

1. Because the sound of the band wasn't heard before. The early recordings.
    Apparently you've never heard the first Jeff Beck Group album Truth, which predates the first Zep album by several months. It's been pointed out before that not only did Page like the album, he accompanied Beck's band on their first tour. And to top things off, both Page and Jones appear on the album!

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,444 Posts

Ok, so you read Hammer of the Gods. Tell us how you really feel. If he credited his influences every step of the way, would he still suck to you? Ed was very much inspired by Page by the way. He stumbled onto hammering while watching him FFS. Regardless, I respect your differing opinion.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Why groundbreaking? I wrote this:

1. Because the sound of the band wasn't heard before. The early recordings.

2. You can hear in almost every modern, post Zep, rock riff influences by Jimmy Page. Especially in Van Halen.
    Kristy, you disagreed especially with "the sound of the band wasn't heard before".

Tell me what band sounded as Zep in the 60s.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Oh, okay. That it explains it then.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Apparently you've never heard the first Jeff Beck Group album Truth, which predates the first Zep album by several months. It's been pointed out before that not only did Page like the album, he accompanied Beck's band on their first tour. And to top things off, both Page and Jones appear on the album!
    I know that album. Still it doesn't sound like Zep to my ears.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    If he credited his influences every step of the way, would he still suck to you?
    Yes, of course.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Is Elbow off today??

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Man I haven't heard that in a long time.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's kinda does actually. It's just a slower less loud Zep kinda feel IMO.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Wich songs?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Perhaps to you, but when Beck heard Zep's debut, he was so agitated that Page had gone to such lengths to rip off his sound that the two stopped communicating for several years, with Beck taking shots at Page over the years in the press.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wich songs?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Great album!! but that doesn`t make it Zep but just an era of sound influence, just like VH influenced other bands and the Nirvana grunge era...

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hell, look at the pacing of the track listing on both albums, which is identical right down to featuring an acoustic guitar solo on side two.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wich songs?
    You have to be open minded...

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I never was a huge fan of that album. Something about Rod's voice just doesnt work for me.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

A blues like many blues musicians did before.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I never was a huge fan of that album. Something about Rod's voice just doesnt work for me.
    I think he sounds great.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

A blues like many blues musicians did before.
    Yeah. I mean all those guys were trying to make a statement at about the same time. Jeff, Clapton, Page.

39. Thanked Jagermeister for this KICKASS post:

Etienne (04-13-2012)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Yeah. I mean all those guys were trying to make a statement at about the same time. Jeff, Clapton, Page.

And they were all influenced by Delta Blues players...

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hell, look at the pacing of the track listing on both albums, which is identical right down to featuring an acoustic guitar solo on side two.

After listening closely again, I have to admit that Shapes Of Things has similarities to some Zep songs.

But this album is a special issue I would say.

Thread Information