Thread: Guitarist JOHN 5 'Loves, Loves, Loves' New VAN HALEN Album

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Guitarist JOHN 5 'Loves, Loves, Loves' New VAN HALEN Album

Guitarist JOHN 5 'Loves, Loves, Loves' New VAN HALEN Album - Apr. 12, 2012
    Guitarist John 5 (ROB ZOMBIE, ex-MARILYN MANSON), who wrote and recorded with VAN HALEN singer David Lee Roth in the late '90s, spoke to MusicRadar.com about the band's new album, "A Different Kind Of Truth", calling it "amazing." He added, "I love the new VAN HALEN record. Let me rephrase that: I love, love, love the new VAN HALEN record. It's heavy. If you really sit down and listen to it, it's totally heavy. The band isn't playing it safe at all, and that's what's so great about it."

John 5 also spoke about the album's first single, "Tattoo", which was criticized by many VAN HALEN fans as being a poor representation of the record as a whole. "It's a wonderful song," John 5 said. "I remember everybody going, 'Ahhh, I don't know about this 'Tattoo'. But I'll tell you, by the second or third time I heard it, it was in my head. And that's the mark of any great song — it stays with you."

John 5 recorded a cover version of Michael Jackson's smash hit "Beat It" for his upcoming solo album, "God Told Me To", complete a spot-on rendition of Eddie Van Halen's famous solo. "It's one of the most incredible leads ever," John 5 told MusicRadar.com. "For me to play it any other way would have been wrong somehow. A solo like that, you have to do it perfectly."

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Might not be strong enough to stand as it's own thread so feel free to merge it somewhere else.
    Reading this made me feel good about the tickets I bought to see Rob Zombie in a few weeks.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Clearly John 5 gets it...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    John 5 is great - saw him with Zombie a couple of years back. Funny though that even trying to emulate Eddie Van Halen note for note and tone-wise, it still sounds like someone trying to sound like him, but it's clearly not Ed. The original Beat It solo oozed brown sound.
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

Fools, I Live With Fools
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
    Might not be strong enough to stand as it's own thread so feel free to merge it somewhere else.
    Reading this made me feel good about the tickets I bought to see Rob Zombie in a few weeks.
    Bullshit. This guy knows his shit, and isn't afraid to show it. This damn CD always kicks off my Friday in the right way!!!! I leave work crank up Outta Space ..........the weekend is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheers All!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BTW....Fuck HAGAR!!!!!

Hey psycho, please get out of my Van Halen T-shirt before you jinx the band and they break up.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    John 5 is great - saw him with Zombie a couple of years back. Funny though that even trying to emulate Eddie Van Halen note for note and tone-wise, it still sounds like someone trying to sound like him, but it's clearly not Ed. The original Beat It solo oozed brown sound.
    Even the best Ed clones in some of the better VH tribute bands never sound EXACTLY like Ed...shit, I'll bet even if Ed went back and re-recorded those old CVH solos they wouldn't sound EXACTLY like they did on the original records. That's the beauty of that stuff.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

fourthcoming
    John 5 definitely gets it......not for anything, that dude made some killer tunes with Uncle dave.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Excerpt from another recent interview...

In closing, seeing as John has played with David Lee Roth, and paid tribute to Eddie Van Halen via ‘Beat It’, it would be remiss not to ask his thoughts on the new Van Halen album, A Different Kind Of Truth, and their current tour. “Oh my God, it’s an amazing record! I really, truly, truly love the record; I rock that thing all the time. And their tour is so cool. This is something they haven’t done in a while, they’re playing crazy tracks they haven’t played sometimes ever, or in 20-something years. They’re playing ‘Hang ‘Em High’ and ‘Full Bug’ and ‘Girl Gone Bad’ in sporadic cities; so they’re changing the format a lot which is very exciting to me; it’s really cool. A+ for Van Halen, that’s for sure!”

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    John 5 is pretty cool
    fuck your fucking framing

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    John 5 is cool as shit. Met him during my music retail days, he's very down-to-earth, not pretentious in the slightest - and can pretty much NAIL VH licks all day long. He was standing in front of Bantonelli and I at the Henson Studios gig, and I said hi to him after the show - I asked "Was that amazing or what?" and he replies "F*cking unbelievable, dude!"

Thread Information