X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

It was 30 years ago today.....

Diver Down is released. Diver Down spent 65 weeks on the charts, peaking at #3 on U.S. charts (entering on 5/08/82) and at # 36 on U.K. charts (entering on 5/01/82). 4 million copies have been sold in the U.S. The album was remastered and rereleased on 9/19/00. It's safe to say this is easily the band's least favorite album. Of the 12 songs, five are cover tunes. Though the album sold well and led to a large tour, the band seemingly felt that none of the songs on it were worthy of an appearance on Best of Volume 1. The entire LP was recorded in 12 days at Amigo Studios (now known as Warner Brothers Recording Studios) at a cost of approximately $46,000. It was the first Van Halen album to sell 1 million copies before the tour. The album also helps the band set a record for most consecutive platinum-selling albums at Warner Brothers Records. The cover art, which is the international symbol to alert boats of a diver below the surface of the water, was chosen because the band had a message: though it may not be noticeable on the surface, there's something going on underneath. The live photo on the back of the album was taken when Van Halen opened for The Rolling Stones on 10/24/81 at the Tangerine Bowl in Orlando, FL. The number of cover tunes on this album was arguably the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, cementing Edward's desire to build his own studio.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • NIN1211
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

Diver Down is released. Diver Down spent 65 weeks on the charts, peaking at #3 on U.S. charts (entering on 5/08/82) and at # 36 on U.K. charts (entering on 5/01/82). 4 million copies have been sold in the U.S. The album was remastered and rereleased on 9/19/00. It's safe to say this is easily the band's least favorite album. Of the 12 songs, five are cover tunes. Though the album sold well and led to a large tour, the band seemingly felt that none of the songs on it were worthy of an appearance on Best of Volume 1. The entire LP was recorded in 12 days at Amigo Studios (now known as Warner Brothers Recording Studios) at a cost of approximately $46,000. It was the first Van Halen album to sell 1 million copies before the tour. The album also helps the band set a record for most consecutive platinum-selling albums at Warner Brothers Records. The cover art, which is the international symbol to alert boats of a diver below the surface of the water, was chosen because the band had a message: though it may not be noticeable on the surface, there's something going on underneath. The live photo on the back of the album was taken when Van Halen opened for The Rolling Stones on 10/24/81 at the Tangerine Bowl in Orlando, FL. The number of cover tunes on this album was arguably the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, cementing Edward's desire to build his own studio.
    Was eleven years old....that album changed my life. Thanks Mom.

Hey psycho, please get out of my Van Halen T-shirt before you jinx the band and they break up.

Comment

• katina
      Commando
      • Mar 2012

1982...living here, not having much information and access to live shows, Diver Down was pure joy for me.

Comment

• rocking ron
        Head Fluffer
        • Sep 2010

Still remeber the reaction in some music-magazines at that time about DIVER DOWN, : way to sotf and poppy !!

Oh man, still remember how much I loved the song 'PRETTY WOMAN", even without seeing the video!!!

time flies, "Where have all the good times gone"!!!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

We had to do a skit up at scout camp. We were listening to Diver Down on the way up there. We sung Happy Trails at the end of the skit and actually nailed it pretty good.

Last edited by Nitro Express; 04-14-2012, 05:40 PM.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• hambon4lif
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jun 2004

I'm still not sure why everyone is so quick to shit on this album. Granted, compared to the other 5 albums it's pretty light, but I'd pit it against other bands best albums. It's cool, it's loose, and it has moments of greatness. "Dancing In The Street" is kind of a 2-headed beast...on one hand, I can do without it, but on the other hand it also has one of Ed's most badass and memorable solos.
            The only real downer IMO is that up until Fair Warning, they were sort of a cult band...they belonged to us. When Diver Down came out with its radio-friendly hit singles, all of a sudden your dorky neighbors also became aware of them and started digging them too.

....Secrets, Little Guitars, The Full fuckin' Bug....like I said, moments of greatness. And the tour was fuckin' KILLER!!

Not their best album, but it is part of the 6-pack. Even with all of its cover songs, it was still Van Halen taking it to the next level.
            The back cover shot of them onstage in front of that mass of humanity is still an awesome breathtaking picture.
            The "Hide Your Sheep" tour....the US Festival....good memories.

Happy 30th Diver Down!!

Comment

• 78/84 guy
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Apr 2005

It's a great album. But I always think of what Ed say's about it, after Fair Warning he wanted the band to go in that direction, but Dave & Ted were looking for hits. I wonder what it would have had on it if Ed got his way ?? Some of the old demo's might have ended up on that album instead of the on we just got. Big Bad Bill still is awesome though !! The band should try and do a version of it on this tour with their dads part recorded as tribute to him. Someone else brought that up and what a cool idea if they tried it. Even with the stuff they are dusting off this tour seems a little safe to me. Not alot of banter from Dave and the shows are too short.
              Last edited by 78/84 guy; 04-14-2012, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• hambon4lif
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jun 2004

Comment

• Zing!
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2011

Sure, it's my least favorite from the 6-pack - but you gotta love the 'in the moment' vibe of this album. A total time capsule of the early 80's, this album stands the test of time, even with the cover tunes. This album was pure "Van Halen-ized" music - covers or not. Love it!
                  My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• ThatArtGuy
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Jan 2004

On this day, I turned 8. Was a VH fan then too. Happy birthday to us!
                    I brought my pencil!!!

Comment

• hambon4lif
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jun 2004

I knew the entire album clocked in at about a half an hour or so, but I had no idea that you could do this....

NO MUFF TOO TOUGH, AND WE DIVE 'TIL FIVE!!!

DIVER DOWN FOR EVERYBODY!!

HAPPY 30th!!

Comment

• SunisinuS
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • May 2010

Has my favorite Van Halen song of all time on it.
                        Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• ashstralia
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Feb 2004

mine too. grate album.

Comment

• minkahed
                            Roadie
                            • Jan 2012

I gotta be honest. my introduction to Van Halen was first thru "Diver Down".

At the time, I just couldn't stand Dave's voice, (I was 10 years old), but I loved the music, the vibe was just like "Holy Shit", when I heard "The Full Bug" and "Hang 'em High". I had to learn how to play guitar.

As time passed, Dave's voice grew on me, then I finally "got it", the persona, the charisma, that fuckin' scream was just killer, it all started to gell for me and by the time I knew it, I was hooked.

I then realized that they had other, earlier offerings, I bought "Van Halen" on Lp and I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. it changed my life, not only personally, but musically, how I felt about music and played it with such intensity, what an experience.

I wore those 2 albums out until they're were no more grooves in the records ...

By the summer of '84, Van Halen were my Beatles, but in the spring of '86, my Van Halen, the greatest rock band to walk the earth had turned into ABBA and I almost had cardiac arrest.

Back to "Diver Down", it's really not a bad album at all and "Secrets", "Little Guitars", "Big Bad Bill", and that killer cover of "Where Have All the Good Times Gone" still remain as some of my favs.

Samuel Roy, on his best day, could never replicate the magic Eddie, Dave, Michael and Alex made on those first 6 records.
                            Hot dog and a shake

Comment

• VAiN
                              Use my hand, I won't look
                              ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Diver Down contains some of the best VH guitar and drum tones, IMO. I love how warm it sounds.
                              Originally posted by wiseguy
                              That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

Working...