EVH and the whole "tons of music" laying around

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fourthcoming

Wow, thanks Chef.....very cool.....always wondered if that was their tune or not. I'll take VH's version in a heartbeat. I believe that version is from the school's out boot....Pasadena High School or something like that. I had another version of it live from another boot.....gonna have to dig it up. Always loved the background vocals on this one.

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by BenJammin
      but I honestly cannot see them doing this into their middle to late 60's.

What else do you see them doing?

Musicians are musicians....to the grave. Look at the Stones, The Who, McCartney, and countless others from the generation just before VH. The only ones who really stopped are the ones who died.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I want them to go on as long as possible with their dignity intact! Hot For Teacher won't work coming from a 70 something. Tunes in the vain of Black Sand or Stay While The Night Is Young would kick ass and be more age appropriate (for 3 of them atleast) by the next go around. It's mind blowing that they're tearing it up for now, but it can't go down like that forever.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

I think they are doing it. They aren't trying to be the 20 something Van Halen. They play extremely well and Dave seems to be trying to figure out exactly what the older more mature Dave should be but thank God he ditched that head set. He will figure it out. He doing great the same.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• sadaist
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jul 2004

I foresee them doing more like the Downtown Sessions as they age. And I'm on board! I'm with them until the end 100%.
            “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• rocking ron
              Head Fluffer
              • Sep 2010

I really don't care if they use stuff from old demo's and understand they will create the old school VH sound/vibe after that many years recording together.

Think they were very excited and curious about the response from fans,media etc so they had to play safe this time!! They couldn't allowe to make a 2nd VH III with Dave

back in the band!! And they did it very very well, they need eachother just like Tyler/Perry and Jagger/Richards.....

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by chefcraig
                Yep, it's an old Spooky Tooth track. That was the band that featured Gary Wright ("Dream Weaver") and Mick Jones from Foreigner. The band's general obscurity stems from the fact that they were pretty much awful.
                They were also the guy's who did "better by you,better than me",The song Priest covered that was a main feature in all the court nastyness
                I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• fourthcoming

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
                  They were also the guy's who did "better by you,better than me",The song Priest covered that was a main feature in all the court nastyness
                  I did not know that......I'm learning here at the Army today.

Comment

• BenJammin
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                    What else do you see them doing?

Musicians are musicians....to the grave. Look at the Stones, The Who, McCartney, and countless others from the generation just before VH. The only ones who really stopped are the ones who died.
                    Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                    I want them to go on as long as possible with their dignity intact! Hot For Teacher won't work coming from a 70 something. Tunes in the vain of Black Sand or Stay While The Night Is Young would kick ass and be more age appropriate (for 3 of them atleast) by the next go around. It's mind blowing that they're tearing it up for now, but it can't go down like that forever.
                    Originally posted by Nitro Express
                    I think they are doing it. They aren't trying to be the 20 something Van Halen. They play extremely well and Dave seems to be trying to figure out exactly what the older more mature Dave should be but thank God he ditched that head set. He will figure it out. He doing great the same.
                    Originally posted by sadaist
                    I foresee them doing more like the Downtown Sessions as they age. And I'm on board! I'm with them until the end 100%.
                    Yes to all the above more or less. Didn't mean to imply they would just quit cold turkey but tour schedules like this one and jumping around defying their age can't last forever. But moving more in the direction of stuff like the downtown sessions and doing more age appropriate material sounds pretty prophetic (agreed songs like HFT would maybe start sounding a bit creep)

Plus how could anyone ever picture Dave sitting at home doing things like mowing the grass !
                    Last edited by BenJammin; 04-18-2012, 12:55 PM.
                    "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Comment

Working...