Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Shaq to be dealt?

This would be quite the switch...

Kobe stays...Shaq goes in a deal that would bring in a ton of talent...

might not be a bad idea...

So...where does Shaq go?

the Nets?...the Pistons?...Indiana?

this is going to be an interesting off season...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've always thought that. I never thought Kobe would be gone. LA thinks of him as their Jordan.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Surely...if you are looking past the next 3 or so years...Kobe is the answer...

but if they want any chance at all of keeping Jackson...and winning the title again soon...they should keep Shaq...and let Kobe go...

of course...if the thinking is getting something back in return...you resign Kobe...trade Shaq for another center and a shooter...and you could contend again...as long as Kobe remembers there's a team around him...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How about this scenario...

Trade Shaq...sign Kobe...and he goes to jail...lmfao...

and the Lakers turn into Boston West...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So if they let Kobe go...would the Jordan return rumors resurface?...since noone wants that idiot to buy a majority of any team so he could run it into the ground?

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    T-Mac, Francis, Shaq dominate trade talk on eve of expansion draft

By CHRIS SHERIDAN, AP Basketball Writer

June 21, 2004

A blockbuster trade involving Tracy McGrady and Steve Francis dominated the NBA rumor mill Monday while the Los Angeles Lakers waited to learn whether Shaquille O'Neal was serious about demanding a trade.

The Charlotte Bobcats also were major players on the eve of their expansion draft, making a deal with the Los Angeles Clippers to move up two spots in Thursday's NBA draft to select Emeka Okafor or Dwight Howard as the cornerstone of their franchise.

What promises to be a busy week began with loads of trade talk, much of it centered around two of the league's best known superstars.

The Rockets were said to be the leading candidate to acquire McGrady from Orlando, with officials from other teams saying Houston was offering a package including Francis, Cuttino Mobley, Kelvin Cato and/or Bostjan Nachbar for McGrady, Juwan Howard and Tyronn Lue. Because of league salary cap rules, such a deal could not be finalized until July.

``Tracy has indicated he would like to play elsewhere, and we're trying to see what we can do,'' Magic executive Pat Williams said. ``The issue is where he would sign (a contract extension). Teams want to know what Tracy's plans are.''

A trade to Houston would put McGrady on the same team with center Yao Ming, giving the Rockets an inside-outside nucleus few Western Conference teams could match.

In the trade that was finalized Monday, the expansion Bobcats acquired the No. 2 overall pick from the Los Angeles Clippers for the Nos. 4 and 33 picks. Charlotte also agreed to select Clippers center Predrag Drobnjak in Tuesday's expansion draft.

``We would be pleased starting our basketball team with either one of those young men,'' Bobcats coach and general manager Bernie Bickerstaff said of Okafor and Howard, the consensus top two picks in Thursday night's draft. ``They represent what we would like to become in terms of character, competitiveness and talent.''

Charlotte, which will select at least 14 players in the expansion draft Tuesday, also was close to finalizing a deal with Phoenix to acquire center Jahidi White, cash and a future first-round draft pick.

That trade would clear salary cap space for the Suns, allowing them to make a run at free agents Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash and others.

The Lakers, meanwhile, were exploring their options regarding O'Neal, who issued a trade demand last week after Los Angeles announced that Phil Jackson would not return as head coach.

``Me and the Big Fella are trying to get to Dallas together now,'' McGrady told Florida Today.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said he hadn't spoken to the Lakers yet.

``Will we? Most likely,'' he said. ``But, you know, we also have to ascertain what's real and what's not real.

If the Lakers are serious about trading O'Neal, the Mavericks could be an ideal trading partner.

Dallas has one of the league's most talent-laden rosters, including several players whose combined salaries would be within the league-mandated 15 percent of O'Neal's $27 million salary for next season.

The hangup would be deciding the players involved. The Lakers would start by asking for Dirk Nowitzki. The Mavericks would be more willing to package Antoine Walker, Antawn Jamison or Michael Finley.

``I'd be hard-pressed to see us trading Dirk,'' Cuban said. ``Dirk is as close to an untouchable as we'd get.''

With former Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich interviewing for the Lakers' coaching job, Los Angeles general manager Mitch Kupchak was coy regarding O'Neal.

``I do expect to meet with or speak to Shaquille's representatives in timely fashion. We've had three or four days now for everybody to wind down now, calm down a little bit. I'll get a better feel of where we stand at that time,'' Kupchak said. ``I'm eager to hear what they have to say, and we'll take it from there.''

The rumored deal sending McGrady to Houston could be contingent on whether the Bobcats select any of Orlando's unprotected players in Tuesday's expansion draft.

``It's a very tenuous situation right now,'' Williams said.

Said Bickerstaff: ``We have been in conversations with the Magic, and we're good listeners and good facilitators. We have to make a decision not to do anything that's vindictive, but to do something we can derive some benefit from.''

Francis' agent, Jeff Fried, told the Houston Chronicle the trade was not complete but was close.

``Steve's preference is to not go to Orlando,'' Fried said. ``Steve's tasted the playoffs. (The Rockets) got a series under their belts. He was looking forward to going further with the same Rockets team but with another year of experience together. This is certainly not his preference. He loves Houston.''

New Jersey reportedly agreed to send the No. 22 pick in Thursday's draft to Portland in exchange for Eddie Gill and cash. Nets vice president Rod Thorn would not be specific about his trade discussions but acknowledged he does not view any player who will be available at No. 22 as being worthy of the three-year contract that first-round draft picks receive.

AP sportswriters Jaime Aron in Dallas, John Nadel in Los Angeles and Tom Canavan in East Rutherford, N.J., contributed to this article.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dr. Buss is sick of Jackson. That's why he's gone, and Rudy T will probably be there next year.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cuban, Mavs moving slowly in Shaq sweepstakes

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer

June 21, 2004

DALLAS (AP) -- Mark Cuban, Don Nelson and the Dallas Mavericks are always eager to make trades. And their team desperately needs a big man.

But with the league's most dominant center asking to be dealt, Cuban said Monday he hadn't even talked to the Lakers about Shaquille O'Neal.

``Will we? Most likely,'' Cuban said. ``But, you know, we also have to ascertain what's real and what's not real. Believe it or not, just because you read it in the press doesn't mean that a situation is really there. Sometimes, it is. We'll have to find out and see.''

If the Lakers are serious about trading O'Neal, the Mavericks could be an ideal partner.

Dallas has one of the league's most talent-laden rosters, including several players whose combined salaries would be within the league-mandated 15 percent of O'Neal's paycheck. The Mavs also have a management team that has shown the creativity to pull off wild, complicated deals.

The hangup would be the players involved. The Lakers would start by asking for Dirk Nowitzki. The Mavericks would be more willing to package Antoine Walker, Antawn Jamison or Michael Finley.

``I'd be hard-pressed to see us trading Dirk,'' Cuban said. ``Dirk is as close to an untouchable as we'd get.''

Cuban understands the interest and intrigue surrounding O'Neal's possible departure from the Lakers, as well as Orlando considering trading Tracy McGrady. But he laughed at the notion there's an abundance of big-name players available.

``The only difference between this and any other summer is that it's been so public,'' Cuban said. ``Typically, all this goes on behind the scenes.

McGrady told Florida Today that he and O'Neal are ``trying to get to Dallas together now.''

Cuban is flattered, but he's heard similar things before.

``You'd be shocked at how many players have called me at various points and asked to be traded to the Mavs,'' he said, smiling.

The Mavericks certainly will do something this offseason to shake up a team coming off a disappointing first-round playoff exit.

Cuban admitted the problem was ``we just had too many weapons for everybody to fit.'' The best way to solve that is with trades, especially since Dallas' only draft pick is No. 50 and the Mavs have only the mid-level exception to offer to free agents.

``We've called just about every team,'' said Donnie Nelson, Dallas' president of basketball operations. ``We're talking about picks and scenarios of all shapes and sizes. It's just that time of year. But I wouldn't get too carried away with some of the crazy rumors that are flying around.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The talk is that possibly Dallas or Memphis are the only ones who could really afford his salary...

But Dallas doesn't want to give up Nowitski....

If the Lakers pull the trigger and don't get him and get those 3 bums instead (OK, Finley is a good player, but not great), they're fucked in the head....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I like all the players involved in that deal...Finley is a fucking stud when the focal point of an offense...and pretty damn good when he's sharing duty...the other two are roll players at this point...although Walker can cause dissention...

but without Nowitski involved in the deal...it won't get done...no fucking way...

Memphis is intriguing though...you know West would covet Shaq...and make that team instantly good...

I'd love to see Shaq as the focus of the offense again...so we can see how much better he is than Kobe...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well...New Jersey is interested in Shaq as well...heard about it earlier today...figuring on a sign and trade involving KMart and Richard Jefferson (good perimeter player)...still don't see how the money would work though...even if KMart signs the max...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by POJO_Risin
    I like all the players involved in that deal...Finley is a fucking stud when the focal point of an offense...and pretty damn good when he's sharing duty...the other two are roll players at this point...although Walker can cause dissention...

but without Nowitski involved in the deal...it won't get done...no fucking way...

Memphis is intriguing though...you know West would covet Shaq...and make that team instantly good...

I'd love to see Shaq as the focus of the offense again...so we can see how much better he is than Kobe...
    It would motivate Shaq into his best statitical season to date.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just heard that Dallas officially offered Nash and Nowitski...

of course...what's official...lmfao...

they said it was a "league official"

I don't like Nowitski...

heard a good quote about him today...

"He gets beat off the dribble at a wax museum..."

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah...Shaq rollin' as the center of the offense again...and he's never really been that...and Penny in Orlando...and of course...Kobe in LA...

He would put up sick numbers...if he came in at playing weight...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've been a Lakers fan for years. That said, I think Shaq's best days are behind him. I think LA is correct in wanting to keep Kobe. I believe Kobe can score more than 30ppg easily and is a better all-around player.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If Kobe scores more than 30 a game...does that make them a better team?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No, I just think that he can be a better player statistically than Shaq.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    One thing Kobe can't do...is change the game on Defense...and Shaq at the top of his game...or top being behind him...does that...

Kobe's gonna be good for 10 years more...

Shaq...who knows...depends on how bad he wants it...

if he comes into the season in shape...there isn't ANYONE better them him in the game...

if Kobe's in charge of the Lakers...and Shaq somewhere else...

Shaq wins the stat matchup...IMO of course...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    We won't know until we see who the Lakers get in return in a trade. I'd rather see them trade him to Memphis for some of their players, but we'll see.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can't see West decimating that team for Shaq...Dallas would be the logical choice...because they can legitimately lose several...and still have a nucleus...

not sure though...

I think the Lakers are looking at a deal that can get them younger...and getting draft picks may be the key...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Personally...those morons in Orlando blew this one...they shoulda dealt that #1 pick, Gooden and Howard for Shaq...and kept TMac...

he'd have stayed had they went after Shaq...no doubt...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The only comparison between the 2 would be the scoring average. No telling what Shaq could do with the same number of shots from the field as Kobe, but the 2 of them would be in the 30 ppg area.

But the "in shape" Shaq will have the dominate edge in the defensive stats, close in steals even. I also think quite possibly more assists too, popping the ball back out on double teams to an open 3 pt shooter. Seems Kobe will attempt to beat a double team on his own.

I like Kobe's game, but he could raise the level of the players around him, but doesn't. It's about him.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He is still young...but you have to wonder what it will take for him to become that guy that improves the team...instead of trying to do it all himself...

I think we'll find that out this year...

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Id love to see Shaq back in orlando where he started..
    fat chance..lol

EUAS

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah...I'm pretty fucking shocked that the Magic aren't in the hunt...I must be missing something here...with them not trying to keep TMac...and acquire ShaqDiesel...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just keep reading where their front office is adament that they cannot afford Shaq, under no circumstance.

The owner of the Magic is from where I live, owns the arena where VH will be on the 9th.

What's with these Michigan guys owning Florida teams?

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Funny...a Michigan guy owns the Hurricanes as well...

looks like all the money's in Michigan...lmfao...

I'm sure they could dump enough salary to afford the windfall a Shaq and TMac combo would bring them in attendance...and playoff money...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And a couple of exhibition games here in town too. We've had that before.

We have the Wings top minor league club here in town too, so we get the Wings in the pre-season.

I don't mind, it's like a 3-4 hour drive to Detroit for me, so I'll take some exhibition here close to home.

Snoo
    I'm pretty sure "can't afford" means "don't have the cap room". If they couldn't afford him WITH a salary cap in place, I think they'd have moved to Las Vegas at the end of the season. McGrady, Shaq, and Hill, not to mention keeping the number 1 pick, would leave them without about enough money left to sign Percy Miller.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Make no mistake...getting Shaq would include that number 1 pick...and if they truly had a shot at getting Shaq, I doubt they'd be worrying to much about Percy Miller...

I'd also have to think the Lakers would have to take on Hill's contract...

I don't see it happening at this point...but it could have been done...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dallas Diesel? Mavs' draft-night moves hint toward push to acquire O'Neal

June 26, 2004

BY EDDIE SEFKO
    DALLAS MORNING NEWS

DALLAS -- The Dallas Mavericks said they got their point guard of the future Thursday night. How far in the future is the big question.

By getting Wisconsin junior Devin Harris with the fifth pick in the draft, the Mavericks believe they have an NBA-ready prospect who could ease the burden on All-Star Steve Nash.

Or, if the big picture still has the "Big Diesel" in it, maybe take the burden completely away from Nash.

The Mavericks spent much of their post-draft analysis trying to convince everybody that a flurry of trades and behind-the-scenes action was not part of a long-term, line-the-ducks-up project designed to eventually get them the Lakers' Shaquille O'Neal.

The first order of business was to prove that drafting the 6-3 Harris wasn't an ominous sign that Nash would be packaged in a deal later this summer for O'Neal.

"Steve Nash, along with Michael Finley and Dirk Nowitzki, is the heart and soul of the Mavericks," said Donnie Nelson, president of basketball operations. "We're not kicking him to the side of the curb."

Nash's agent, Bill Duffy, was concerned about the Mavericks' maneuverings with regard to his client.

"It sounds like they're going in a different direction," Duffy said.

Nash is an unrestricted free agent. The Mavs have made it clear that re-signing him is paramount this summer. However, they also have made their desires public that they will try to get involved in the chase for O'Neal, who twice has demanded a trade from the Lakers.

Nash, the big contract of Antoine Walker, the usable contract of Christian Laettner and the young legs of Josh Howard could bring O'Neal to Dallas.

Harris actually was drafted by Washington, then the trade sending him and former Pistons Jerry Stackhouse and Laettner to the Mavs for Antawn Jamison was finalized. The Wizards had to make the pick because their 2005 draft pick already has been traded and teams cannot trade their first-round picks in consecutive years.

Nelson was coy about his options, saying, "There's a lot of smoke and mirrors this time of year." He talked about the Pistons' championship serving as the Mavericks' model. "That's our mind-set," he said. "Deep bench, team mentality, no superstars."

He didn't mention that Larry Brown asks his team to play 48 minutes of hellacious defense.

Of course, a big man in the middle like Shaq might help.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They aren't going to get O'Neal for that package.

Laettner's useless, Josh Howard, who the fuck is that guy?, Nash is decent and Walker is good as a 6th man. Include Nowitski and Finley and they might think about it.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well...I think the Lakers first and foremost have to get a deal that involves the Money that Shaq makes next year...27 million...

They also want to take on money that's only guaranteed for a year from players that they aren't going to want...

Walker and Finley each will make at least 14 million each...so both won't be included...

you have to figure Finley is involved, Nash will make at least 10 million...so there you're looking at 24 million...or Nowitski with make around 12 million...

then you throw in Howard, Daniels and perhaps that new center that they drafted...and you have the deal...both are under a million dollars...and so will that center...

I also assume that there will be some draft picks involved...and I don't think Shaq will be the only one coming over...then the Lakers can get more...and Dallas feel like they didn't get raped out the ass...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nash has said he would be interested in going to L.A., no problem.

Shaq has put up his $7.5 million crib up for sale.

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Shaquille O'Neal reiterated his desire Sunday to be traded, though he wouldn't specify a preferred destination other than to say: ``Everyone knows.''

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well...Dallas puts in close to his home in Houston I think it is?...where his other kid lives...so I'm guessing that's where he wants to go...

Am I the only one that thinks there's already a plan in place here? C'mon...no way you trade for Stackhouse and Laettner if you aren't going to deal somebody...and if they get Stackhouse...you have to believe that Finley is the guy he's going to replace...and you know Laettner is going to be in that deal...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't want Laettner anywhere near LA, unless he's playing for the Clippers.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well...if it gets you Finley, Nowitzki and/or Nash, Daniels and Howard...and possibly some draft picks...

I'd take the Laettner year...

Thread Information