X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NIN1211
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2012

What Is It About Ed and Dave?

Seeing these two hug is like seeing your dysfunctional uncles hug for the first time in years. I cannot put into words how these two have impacted me over the last thirty years. Seriously, can someone help me understand why these guys still have that much influence on me today? Yes, I have had a few beers.....nonetheless...

Hey psycho, please get out of my Van Halen T-shirt before you jinx the band and they break up.
  • So this is love
    Veteran
    • Jan 2012

Seriously do you think you're alone...
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
      Veteran
      • Mar 2012

I think it's because when we look at these two together we know what kind of musical brilliance they provide us, and we are thanking "God" or Wolfie that they are providing us with new musical brilliance for our ears' listening pleasure...
      Told ya I was comin' back... Say you missed me... Say it like ya mean it!

Comment

• katina
        Commando
        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by NIN1211

Seeing these two hug is like seeing your dysfunctional uncles hug for the first time in years. I cannot put into words how these two have impacted me over the last thirty years. Seriously, can someone help me understand why these guys still have that much influence on me today? Yes, I have had a few beers.....nonetheless...
        You are not alone for sure, I feel the same from the moment I listened to Runnin´with the Devil in 1978.
        I don´t drink beer, but I am drinking Gin Tonic now.
        :bottle: Bottoms up brother!!!

Comment

• Momshell
          Veteran
          • Jan 2012

I too become almost tearful (during 2007 - the tears were there as well) - when Dave and Eddie get along. I think part of it is that it was so traumatic when they "broke up" initially - it was like a kid watching his parents divorce. That for me happened the same year I discovered them, and I was devastated that I found this new amazing thing and then had it taken away before I even fully got to experience it. And for years they hate each other (or so the press leads us to believe) and we gradually give up all hope that mom and dad will ever get back together. "And then something crazy happens"....and holy shit....they really do love each other and they're back. And now we no longer have to deal with the shitty step parents (esp the fat ones in red!) we've had to tolerate for so long. How can anyone not feel emotional about it. Add to that all of the musical brilliance they have individually and even moreso together - suddenly anything's possible! And I've had nothing but water to drink tonight!
          Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Comment

• DONNIEP
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

I loved all the Dave solo stuff, all of it. But, obviously, it just wasn't the same. There's just something about the music these two make when they're together. Sounds corny, but it's like fucking magic. Nothing they did separately was as good as what they did together - and I dug everything Dave did. But for some reason, when these two are working together it just works and it's fucking incredible.
            American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
              Veteran
              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by DONNIEP
              I loved all the Dave solo stuff, all of it. But, obviously, it just wasn't the same. There's just something about the music these two make when they're together. Sounds corny, but it's like fucking magic. Nothing they did separately was as good as what they did together - and I dug everything Dave did. But for some reason, when these two are working together it just works and it's fucking incredible.
              Totally agree with you DONNIEP...
              I love "A Little Ain't Enough" and Hammerhead Shark is one of my favorite tracks, but NOTHING compares to "Fair Warning", or the all time best tune LUTS.
              Seeing the youtubes from this tour, they are just like peanut butter and jelly....they just belong together.

Comment

• Yount
                Commando
                • Jan 2012

I think things are better, but I still don't believe Ed gives Dave the musical credit he deserves. Ed's high brow remember, child prodigy, music in the blood. Dave's always maintained he was a "self-made muso" and his love for Ed (& Al's) sound has always been obvious through the many interviews he has done over the years. I've never seen that love reciprocated by High And Mighty King Edward.
                I suppose Ed letting Dave touch his stuff in the first place is confirmation enough. (I just don't think I can picture Ed in the studio patting Dave on the back over anything, that's all.)
                I know the guy is shy, I just hope behind closed doors he's making Dave feel worthy. I didn't enjoy the "eye-rolling" part of the recent interview of EVH posted. You're just a guitarist remember, without Dave you'd be nothing but a cooler more savage Satriani which would never have netted you the $$$$$ and pussy and blow that Dave helped you get.

Comment

• diamondclaudio
                  Roadie
                  • Jan 2004

Believe it or not, I remember 1996 seemed to be a greatest year. The reunion thing was going on and I personally was finishing university. The world was starting to make sense once again. It was september and I was 6 weeks afar from becoming a lawyer. Then I was listening fm radio while studing and they were broadcasting MTV news. Ice cream song and Hangém high sounded and I was on fire. The next thing that happened the dj started to explain the reunion was abborted and told about the Ray Daniels and the Cherone thing. You would say I was crazy, but I really felt bad phisically and emotionally, I felt a really hard chest pain and almost fainted. I felt bad the rest of the year. I returned to Tacuarembó city ( my family home) from Montevideo ( Universitary city) and continued studying early next year. Finally in 1997 I became an attorney in law, but hapiness wasn´t complete, until 2007. I still have the tape recording of MTV news about the split, one of the bluest moments in my life. I didn´t feel even close during my ex girlfriends splits!!!

Comment

• Yount
                    Commando
                    • Jan 2012

Quite simply, The Greatest Guitarist Of All Time must work with The Greatest Vocalist Of All Time!

Comment

• Light Em' Up!
                      Veteran
                      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Yount
                      (I just don't think I can picture Ed in the studio patting Dave on the back over anything, that's all.)
                      Prior to this interview, I don't know that I could have pictured it either, but now, I could see this happening. In this interview, Eddie seemed like a real human, not some "super human". I would assume with his sobriety, he may look at things in life quite differently now. They seem to have an amazing comraderie....

Comment

• DONNIEP
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Yount
                        I think things are better, but I still don't believe Ed gives Dave the musical credit he deserves. Ed's high brow remember, child prodigy, music in the blood. Dave's always maintained he was a "self-made muso" and his love for Ed (& Al's) sound has always been obvious through the many interviews he has done over the years. I've never seen that love reciprocated by High And Mighty King Edward.
                        I suppose Ed letting Dave touch his stuff in the first place is confirmation enough. (I just don't think I can picture Ed in the studio patting Dave on the back over anything, that's all.)
                        I know the guy is shy, I just hope behind closed doors he's making Dave feel worthy. I didn't enjoy the "eye-rolling" part of the recent interview of EVH posted. You're just a guitarist remember, without Dave you'd be nothing but a cooler more savage Satriani which would never have netted you the $$$$$ and pussy and blow that Dave helped you get.
                        That's not gonna be a popular opinion around here these days...But I agree with you. Anyway, this isn't the Ed Van Halen Army. It's the Roth Fucking Army!!! Don't get me wrong, I do think that they make their best music when they work together. And I have supported Ed, hell, I even bought a pair of his shoes!!! But he's never given Dave the credit he deserves, in my drunken opinion.
                        American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• TJMKID
                          Veteran
                          • Mar 2004

Dave said it best ----- "There's a little Van Halen inside everybody --- we just bring it out"

That's all you need to know why these 2 fellas impacted millions of lives for the better.

Comment

• knuckleboner
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by NIN1211

"this is, by far, the easier way to check if he's wearing his cup..."

Comment

• Yount
                              Commando
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Light Em' Up!
                              Prior to this interview, I don't know that I could have pictured it either, but now, I could see this happening. In this interview, Eddie seemed like a real human, not some "super human". I would assume with his sobriety, he may look at things in life quite differently now. They seem to have an amazing comraderie....
                              I hope you are right and I'm sure there's been some mellowing and the light has shone through and Ed has realized...

Comment

Working...