Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2015 @ 05:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

What Is It About Ed and Dave?

Seeing these two hug is like seeing your dysfunctional uncles hug for the first time in years. I cannot put into words how these two have impacted me over the last thirty years. Seriously, can someone help me understand why these guys still have that much influence on me today? Yes, I have had a few beers.....nonetheless...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-16-2024 @ 07:09 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Seriously do you think you're alone...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-23-2015 @ 07:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I think it's because when we look at these two together we know what kind of musical brilliance they provide us, and we are thanking "God" or Wolfie that they are providing us with new musical brilliance for our ears' listening pleasure...

4. 4 users say thank you to Light Em' Up! for this KICKASS post:

katina (04-18-2012),NIN1211 (04-18-2012),Terry (04-22-2012),TJMKID (04-18-2012)

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2021 @ 11:13 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NIN1211 View Post

Seeing these two hug is like seeing your dysfunctional uncles hug for the first time in years. I cannot put into words how these two have impacted me over the last thirty years. Seriously, can someone help me understand why these guys still have that much influence on me today? Yes, I have had a few beers.....nonetheless...
    You are not alone for sure, I feel the same from the moment I listened to Runnin´with the Devil in 1978.
    I don´t drink beer, but I am drinking Gin Tonic now.
    :bottle: Bottoms up brother!!!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-28-2020 @ 03:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I too become almost tearful (during 2007 - the tears were there as well) - when Dave and Eddie get along. I think part of it is that it was so traumatic when they "broke up" initially - it was like a kid watching his parents divorce. That for me happened the same year I discovered them, and I was devastated that I found this new amazing thing and then had it taken away before I even fully got to experience it. And for years they hate each other (or so the press leads us to believe) and we gradually give up all hope that mom and dad will ever get back together. "And then something crazy happens"....and holy shit....they really do love each other and they're back. And now we no longer have to deal with the shitty step parents (esp the fat ones in red!) we've had to tolerate for so long. How can anyone not feel emotional about it. Add to that all of the musical brilliance they have individually and even moreso together - suddenly anything's possible! And I've had nothing but water to drink tonight!

7. 4 users say thank you to Momshell for this KICKASS post:

katina (04-18-2012),Light Em' Up! (04-18-2012),TJMKID (04-18-2012),vandeleur (04-19-2012)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

I loved all the Dave solo stuff, all of it. But, obviously, it just wasn't the same. There's just something about the music these two make when they're together. Sounds corny, but it's like fucking magic. Nothing they did separately was as good as what they did together - and I dug everything Dave did. But for some reason, when these two are working together it just works and it's fucking incredible.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    I loved all the Dave solo stuff, all of it. But, obviously, it just wasn't the same. There's just something about the music these two make when they're together. Sounds corny, but it's like fucking magic. Nothing they did separately was as good as what they did together - and I dug everything Dave did. But for some reason, when these two are working together it just works and it's fucking incredible.
    Totally agree with you DONNIEP...
    I love "A Little Ain't Enough" and Hammerhead Shark is one of my favorite tracks, but NOTHING compares to "Fair Warning", or the all time best tune LUTS.
    Seeing the youtubes from this tour, they are just like peanut butter and jelly....they just belong together.

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-31-2013 @ 09:11 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I think things are better, but I still don't believe Ed gives Dave the musical credit he deserves. Ed's high brow remember, child prodigy, music in the blood. Dave's always maintained he was a "self-made muso" and his love for Ed (& Al's) sound has always been obvious through the many interviews he has done over the years. I've never seen that love reciprocated by High And Mighty King Edward.
    I suppose Ed letting Dave touch his stuff in the first place is confirmation enough. (I just don't think I can picture Ed in the studio patting Dave on the back over anything, that's all.)
    I know the guy is shy, I just hope behind closed doors he's making Dave feel worthy. I didn't enjoy the "eye-rolling" part of the recent interview of EVH posted. You're just a guitarist remember, without Dave you'd be nothing but a cooler more savage Satriani which would never have netted you the $$$$$ and pussy and blow that Dave helped you get.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 04:23 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Believe it or not, I remember 1996 seemed to be a greatest year. The reunion thing was going on and I personally was finishing university. The world was starting to make sense once again. It was september and I was 6 weeks afar from becoming a lawyer. Then I was listening fm radio while studing and they were broadcasting MTV news. Ice cream song and Hangém high sounded and I was on fire. The next thing that happened the dj started to explain the reunion was abborted and told about the Ray Daniels and the Cherone thing. You would say I was crazy, but I really felt bad phisically and emotionally, I felt a really hard chest pain and almost fainted. I felt bad the rest of the year. I returned to Tacuarembó city ( my family home) from Montevideo ( Universitary city) and continued studying early next year. Finally in 1997 I became an attorney in law, but hapiness wasn´t complete, until 2007. I still have the tape recording of MTV news about the split, one of the bluest moments in my life. I didn´t feel even close during my ex girlfriends splits!!!

12. Thanked diamondclaudio for this KICKASS post:

katina (04-18-2012)

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quite simply, The Greatest Guitarist Of All Time must work with The Greatest Vocalist Of All Time!

14. 2 users say thank you to Yount for this KICKASS post:

Momshell (04-19-2012),riggodrill44 (04-19-2012)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yount View Post
    (I just don't think I can picture Ed in the studio patting Dave on the back over anything, that's all.)
    Prior to this interview, I don't know that I could have pictured it either, but now, I could see this happening. In this interview, Eddie seemed like a real human, not some "super human". I would assume with his sobriety, he may look at things in life quite differently now. They seem to have an amazing comraderie....

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think things are better, but I still don't believe Ed gives Dave the musical credit he deserves. Ed's high brow remember, child prodigy, music in the blood. Dave's always maintained he was a "self-made muso" and his love for Ed (& Al's) sound has always been obvious through the many interviews he has done over the years. I've never seen that love reciprocated by High And Mighty King Edward.
    I suppose Ed letting Dave touch his stuff in the first place is confirmation enough. (I just don't think I can picture Ed in the studio patting Dave on the back over anything, that's all.)
    I know the guy is shy, I just hope behind closed doors he's making Dave feel worthy. I didn't enjoy the "eye-rolling" part of the recent interview of EVH posted. You're just a guitarist remember, without Dave you'd be nothing but a cooler more savage Satriani which would never have netted you the $$$$$ and pussy and blow that Dave helped you get.
    That's not gonna be a popular opinion around here these days...But I agree with you. Anyway, this isn't the Ed Van Halen Army. It's the Roth Fucking Army!!! Don't get me wrong, I do think that they make their best music when they work together. And I have supported Ed, hell, I even bought a pair of his shoes!!! But he's never given Dave the credit he deserves, in my drunken opinion.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2021 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Dave said it best ----- "There's a little Van Halen inside everybody --- we just bring it out"

That's all you need to know why these 2 fellas impacted millions of lives for the better.

18. 3 users say thank you to TJMKID for this KICKASS post:

Light Em' Up! (04-18-2012),Momshell (04-19-2012),riggodrill44 (04-19-2012)

Rice Cooker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-07-2024 @ 03:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NIN1211 View Post

"this is, by far, the easier way to check if he's wearing his cup..."

20. 2 users say thank you to knuckleboner for this KICKASS post:

DONNIEP (04-18-2012),NIN1211 (04-19-2012)

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Light Em' Up! View Post
    Prior to this interview, I don't know that I could have pictured it either, but now, I could see this happening. In this interview, Eddie seemed like a real human, not some "super human". I would assume with his sobriety, he may look at things in life quite differently now. They seem to have an amazing comraderie....
    I hope you are right and I'm sure there's been some mellowing and the light has shone through and Ed has realized...

22. Thanked Yount for this KICKASS post:

DONNIEP (04-19-2012)

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And also I still get the impression that Ed feels he is not recognized by the public at large. I mean for crying out loud he's the greatest fucking guitarist ever and people still paid money and made Hagar big for all those years simply because of Ed's weight and brilliance on his guitar (not necessarily the songwriting.) That little quote he said about people just listening to the vocals and not to the music. Total bullshit.

If anything it's the other way around. Nobody fucking listens to vocals and reads lyrics anymore (how many times does Dave get's labeled as a circus performer, not an artist?) because it requires effort and patience, a lot of dullards go no further than just grooving to the beat. Which is fine. Whatever mood you're in. There's a time and place for that. But Ed's guitar brilliance - I'll use that word again - was totally over-emphasized especially after Roth went (and had to be to mask the regression on vocals.) People have always paid attention to your music Ed. That's why you have so many grunts that follow you and buy all your shit and you have stayed mega rich.

ROTH DESERVES CREDIT! And he never burnt the CVH bridge, always sticking up for the original army.

Maybe Ed's frustration has been that Dave has always had rabid die-hard loyal support whereas he's had a broader but less personal worship from his fans. Just a theory.

And don't nobody get too upset. They're playing together. The hatchet must be buried somewhere.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ROTH DESERVES CREDIT! And he never burnt the CVH bridge, always sticking up for the original army.

If you really think about ADKOT ---- Dave worked harder on it than any Van Halen did. Dave wrote all new lyrics to old demos that Eddie basically replayed. Slight tweaking here and there but you get the point.

Eddie has sobered up and seems to have control of his demons ---- but he still wants the world to think Lead Singer Disease is a major problem.

Nigga, please !!

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    If you really think about ADKOT ---- Dave worked harder on it than any Van Halen did. Dave wrote all new lyrics to old demos that Eddie basically replayed. Slight tweaking here and there but you get the point.

Eddie has sobered up and seems to have control of his demons ---- but he still wants the world to think Lead Singer Disease is a major problem.

Nigga, please !!
    No, no, no. You're supposed to believe that somebody else picked the songs, wrote the songs, played the songs, and is doing everything except dressing Dave each night before the show. Dave is just the singer. Why don't you get it?

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    - but he still wants the world to think Lead Singer Disease is a major problem.
    And it's not. The problem wasn't LSD, what castrated VH was CFG.

(control freak guitarist)

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-09-2020 @ 08:56 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,076 Posts

Quite simply, The Greatest Guitarist Of All Time must work with The Greatest Vocalist Of All Time!
    I wouldn't call Dave the greatest vocalist of all time. Great frontman...yes

28. 2 users say thank you to Angel for this KICKASS post:

Dave's Bitch (04-19-2012),hideyoursheep (04-29-2012)

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    emcee whatever

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

There are many great vocalists with many different styles however none of them have any class. Dave's got class. ...No one sings like Dave better than Dave.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    There are plenty of people who are more technically proficient singers. Lots of them. But that's not really what we're talking about here. Dave Roth is the epitome of what we'd all like to be - someone who just seems to shout it out and never looks back. That's the epitome of a real singer. Someone who just does it and it just works.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No, no, no. You're supposed to believe that somebody else picked the songs, wrote the songs, played the songs, and is doing everything except dressing Dave each night before the show. Dave is just the singer. Why don't you get it?

I don't blame Dave one bit for blowing off sound checks ---- who would wanna show up and have 3 people look at you and think ---- "Oh, here comes the disease".

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Those VH boys tormented Dave for many, many years playing on his insecurities (if he has any!) claiming he had no real musical cred and that it was all just a big song and dance and piss-take. A bluff. THEY were the REAL musicians.... No way! The brothers are just domestic daddies with exceptional talent. Dave, the traveler, the big dreamer, he's proven to be closer to the source of what is The Real Musician over the years.

So I don't wanna hear about any more of this eye-rolling shit from you Van Halen boys, go on back to your air-conditioned mansions and have a think about what Dave has achieved over the years on "no talent."

34. 2 users say thank you to Yount for this KICKASS post:

DavidLeeNatra (04-19-2012),TJMKID (04-19-2012)

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

magic...ying and yang...alpha and omega...whatever...

they NEED each other to be on top of their game...and to whitness that is very special...

36. 2 users say thank you to DavidLeeNatra for this KICKASS post:

Momshell (04-19-2012),SNIPER (04-19-2012)

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I don't mind a bit of tongue in cheek ribbing about the stereotypical me me lead singer thing - that's part of Dave's act. He IS the centre of attention. I just don't want it to turn into bitterness and Ed start thinking that nobody is paying attention to him anymore because Dave's so cool and he's so shy and not witty and funny in the press cry cry etc. That'll probably lead to a drunken call to Sam. (Shudder)

38. Thanked Yount for this KICKASS post:

TJMKID (04-19-2012)

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh man, They rolled their eyes!! This band is over now for sure. Give me a fucking break.

40. Thanked SNIPER for this KICKASS post:

evil_lil (04-19-2012)

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dave just got huge credit from the brothers. He just made an album with them.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
    Or they just made an album with Dave...

You can tell it's an off night for the tour. We're arguing about this when on most nights we'd be rapping about the show

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

On their nights off I think the brothers back Dave in a corner, roll their eyes, and "torment" him the entire night. Poor Dave. He must be just miserable.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

On their nights off I think the brothers back Dave in a corner, roll their eyes, and "torment" him the entire night. Poor Dave. He must be just miserable.
    Dude, that's where you're wrong. Back in '07 Ed hired a former Navy SEAL who would shoot Dave in the neck every night when the show ended. They'd pack up Dave in a road case and bring him back out every night and then tranq him again. Same thing this time around. Wake Dave up and when the show is over shoot him in the neck and put him back in the case. And if anybody believes that...

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Easy tiger. Read back further, I said that Ed letting Dave touch his stuff is confirmation he is worthy. I just don't enjoy reading Ed's public airing - even if it was just an off the cuff comment - that nobody listens to the music only the vocals blah blah. That is not true, a lie. It should not be implied, nor said in interviews. Hear that Ed? Respect Dave, dangnangit.

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And that is why Dave does not do soundcheck. Still to drowsy.

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Top Jimmy rolls his eyes too.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And that is why Dave does not do soundcheck. Still to drowsy.
    Exactly! And when Ed went to Germany to have his hand fixed....the specialist said, "We can fix you..but then we will own you..."

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-17-2015 @ 12:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

No hug for you!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Poor al

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,093 Times in 2,004 Posts

Blog Entries
    This is a simple matter of great combinations... Dave & Ed... Coke and Ho's... Biscuits and Butter... George and Gracie... Bevis and Butthead...

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Exactly! And when Ed went to Germany to have his hand fixed....the specialist said, "We can fix you..but then we will own you..."
    We have a new hand for you it is the same one we gave Luke Skywalker now let us check it by sticking needles in each fingers, Stay away from the dark side and may the frosty be with you. Ha!! ....Yeah I know, I am still half asleep.

Thread Information