X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Dave's Vocal Wheel House

There have been rumors flying about As Is and Light Up The Sky being jammed at sound checks for future live show inclusion (or not) for some time now. As much as it would be insane to hear them live, thosetunes would certainly give Dave a good run for his money. Especially As Is. While blasting Loss Of Control on the way to work today, I couldn't help but think how well this present day VH would nail that song. If anything, Wolf would need to break out the wrench for the back ups.

What are some other classic tunes that Dave could still put a hurtin on, rather than the other way around, that would be great to hear this smoldering hot version of Van Halen take a stab at live? New tunes, too.
  • TwoFoolsAMinute
    Sniper
    • Apr 2004

Take your Whiskey Home

Comment

• TwoFoolsAMinute
      Sniper
      • Apr 2004

Wbat's happening with Dave? I mean...he had the voice thing figured out from about 04-08. Now he's changed his singing style and he's not pulling off some songs that he could do very well. I don't get it. Somebody send him one of those 04 japan bootlegs...he sounds great on those.

Comment

• Angel
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by TwoFoolsAMinute
        Wbat's happening with Dave? I mean...he had the voice thing figured out from about 04-08. Now he's changed his singing style and he's not pulling off some songs that he could do very well. I don't get it. Somebody send him one of those 04 japan bootlegs...he sounds great on those.
        04 was 8 years ago. Aging sucks...
        "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• DLR Bridge
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by TwoFoolsAMinute
          There is a bit of a 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' situation at hand. He was, is and always will be a baritone. A change in style at this stage of the game is a bit perplexing, but I'm sure the man has his reasons.

Comment

• Angel
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
            There is a bit of a 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' situation at hand. He was, is and always will be a baritone. A change in style at this stage of the game is a bit perplexing, but I'm sure the man has his reasons.
            Yup, I agree there's a reason for it...or, am I making an assumption? Damn you, Dave!
            "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• TwoFoolsAMinute
              Sniper
              • Apr 2004

I feel like he's trying to prove he has a high vocal register...and he's doing the opposite.

Comment

• rocking ron
                Head Fluffer
                • Sep 2010

We all know he's not good with that 'high vocal' stuff, but anyway the question was which other songs we wanna hear : TAKE YOUR WHISKY HOME, yeah must be great, and

maybe HOUSE OF PAIN ?? mmmmm for me personally DIRTY MOVIES and ME WISE MAGIC or/and CAN"T GET THIS STUFF NO MORE !!! And any song from A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH

they didn't play yet!!! C'mon DAVE give us a break,,,,,,,,,!

Comment

• VAiN
                  Use my hand, I won't look
                  ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

He could do the bulk of the old stuff, no problem, if he sung them like 'Dave'.. sometimes I feel like he's purposely avoiding his signature sing/talk style.
                  Originally posted by wiseguy
                  That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Yount
                    Commando
                    • Jan 2012

It'll never happen, but solo Dave stuff. Whawazat! Goin' places...

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
                      He could do the bulk of the old stuff, no problem, if he sung them like 'Dave'.. sometimes I feel like he's purposely avoiding his signature sing/talk style.
                      It does seem that way...when he just sings the tunes the way they were recorded, they sound fine...even today.

I mean, Light Up The Sky might present some problems if only because several of the verses were recorded one line at a time and spliced together on the original record (the sheer amount of lyrics in that song combined with the speed of delivery - talk about a motherfucker!).

I can readily accept that the high-end screams are beyond his range. Matter of fact, he only did one at the Tampa show. What is less easily to accept is yelling 50% of the lyrics in a strained range higher than the original recordings for no apparent reason, and it wasn't as easy to accept mostly because it didn't sound good when he did it.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Terry
                        ...What is less easily to accept is yelling 50% of the lyrics in a strained range higher than the original recordings for no apparent reason, and it wasn't as easy to accept mostly because it didn't sound good when he did it.
                        I know you take no pleasure in writing that, but you're absolutely correct. At the show I attended, I thought the key change to Dance The Night Away was risk that barely worked that night. DTNA from this most recent show on 4/21, he was all over the place. It didn't have to be that way.

I think he could do Big River. The note he holds at the end of the verse is not a whole lot different than "as fine as you aaaaaare" in I'll Wait. Like VAiN said, If he sings it like Dave...

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Yount
                          It'll never happen, but solo Dave stuff. Whawazat! Goin' places...
                          I like the way they used to do a partial of a cover tune mid-song like on Romeo Delight or SGMAD. I could totally here them doing a piece of I Made Up My Mind in the middle of something. Now that is in Dave's wheel house!

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                            I know you take no pleasure in writing that, but you're absolutely correct. At the show I attended, I thought the key change to Dance The Night Away was risk that barely worked that night. DTNA from this most recent show on 4/21, he was all over the place. It didn't have to be that way.

I think he could do Big River. The note he holds at the end of the verse is not a whole lot different than "as fine as you aaaaaare" in I'll Wait. Like VAiN said, If he sings it like Dave...
                            No, there's really no pleasure or ulterior motive in writing that. I mean, it's just basic fairness and calling it the way I saw it and heard it. I dig the vast majority of Roth's output, but I'm not someone who thinks everything Roth does is stellar just by default because it's Roth: it's because he earned the praise from the level of his performance, rather than being a Dave acolyte.

Like, there's all sorts of reasons I think Eddie Van Halen is a dipshit in terms of what I've read of his personality, his comments in interviews and lifestyle choices. However, thinking all of that isn't going to get in the way of me saying Ed performed very well when he did, or shitty when he didn't.

Fact remains that from what I heard and saw this time around, Ed was in excellent form. Last tour, Roth had it wired down tight and Ed was a mess. This time around, Ed has it wired down tight and Dave has made a choice to approach his vocals in a manner that isn't always a benefit to the groups overall sound. The high-flying martial art acrobatics are a thing of the past? Accepted. Can't pull off the high-end screams anymore? Fine. His inbetween song patter fell a bit flat this time around? Whatever.

Yelling the tunes in a strained key rather than singing them? THAT is something that WASN'T a concession to age.

Despite my bitching, I did enjoy the show.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• sadaist
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jul 2004

Push Comes To Shove. But I think many in the audience wouldn't get it.
                              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

Working...