ATTENTION DIAMOND DAVE ENTERPRISES:

Let’s talk Roth.

In the interest of chronicling what is arguably the greatest come-back album of all time, not to mention the preparation that went into producing the biggest rock tour of the year, I am formally requesting an interview with Van Halen’s legendary front-man: David Lee Roth. This is clearly a long-shot, but in the great tradition of all things rock and roll, I’m willing to take the gamble. Kurt Jefferis certainly couldn’t have thought he had more than a million to one shot when he submitted a post card for his Lost Weekend With Van Halen, right? – and besides – when was the last time I did something like this for the first time? Bear with me...

As a member in reasonably good standing with that most excellent online forum known as the Roth Army (www.rotharmy.com), I’d like to request a one-on-one interview with David Lee Roth at his convenience sometime before Van Halen’s May 19th concert at the Xcel Center in St. Paul, Minnesota. Before you reject my request out of hand, let me state that my background in journalism speaks for itself. I have interviewed everyone from state senators to Harlem Globetrotters, with a lot of other notable figures in between, and I’d be happy to provide samples of my work upon request. While there may be a slight ulterior motive on my part as I am, admittedly, a huge fan of the band – this request is submitted for your consideration with the upmost seriousness. In fact, I’d wager to say that my interview with Mr. Roth would be taken more seriously than most mainstream media outlets.

Let me be clear on this point: This is not simply another rabid Van Halen fan suffering from delusions of grandeur. What I’m looking for is less of the fabled Diamond Dave legends of old and more of the real David Lee Roth of 2012, and I will be asking questions guaranteed to be more interesting than the droll, weary, same-old-same-old questions Mr. Roth had been confronted with preceding the launch of the tour. My interview will be insightful but non-inflammatory regarding the band’s past history. We all know the story. We don’t need to go there. Selective amnesia, right? I would even go so far as to let my fellow Roth Army soldiers come up with the majority of questions to be asked – all of which will be provided to DDE so that they may be properly vetted before the interview. There will be no surprise ‘gotcha’ questions, and the upmost professionalism and respect will be offered to Mr. Roth at all times.

The content of this interview can be handled in two ways. I will be happy to provide a single recording device (an iPhone with sound recording capabilities) so that a record of our conversation can later be transcribed – let’s face it, trying to keep up with David Lee Roth’s answers in shorthand is all but impossible – or, you may provide a recording device of your own and transcribe the contents of our interview at your leisure, with the Roth Army as the exclusive outlet for its release. Photographs of the event would be appreciated, but are not mandatory – this will be at Mr. Roth’s discretion. I will be bringing a Canon Rebel camera for high resolution shots, or you may provide a private photographer of your choosing to document the interview – or decline photos altogether – your choice.

The location of said interview will also be at the discretion of Mr. Roth and/or his representatives at Diamond Dave Enterprises. The hotel chosen by the Van Halen tour in the Twin Cities area seems to be the most logical choice, but I am more than willing to meet at a private location if it suits Mr. Roth’s itinerary for the 18th of May (Friday) or the day of the show on Saturday, the 19th (or any day following their May 16th SAP show in Orlando for that matter). As with every other aspect of this event, the location will be kept private unless explicit permission has been granted by DDE to reveal – after the fact - where our interview will be taking place.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration in this matter. Should Mr. Roth choose to decline an exclusive interview with the Roth Army, then at the very least I would like to thank him – and the rest of his band mates – for delivering a truly epic Van Halen album, and the most entertaining tour in recent memory.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Yours Respectfully,

Zing!