Member No
    Last Online
    06-17-2015 @ 12:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Exclamation ATTENTION DDE / Interview Request

ATTENTION DIAMOND DAVE ENTERPRISES:

Let’s talk Roth.

In the interest of chronicling what is arguably the greatest come-back album of all time, not to mention the preparation that went into producing the biggest rock tour of the year, I am formally requesting an interview with Van Halen’s legendary front-man: David Lee Roth. This is clearly a long-shot, but in the great tradition of all things rock and roll, I’m willing to take the gamble. Kurt Jefferis certainly couldn’t have thought he had more than a million to one shot when he submitted a post card for his Lost Weekend With Van Halen, right? – and besides – when was the last time I did something like this for the first time? Bear with me...

As a member in reasonably good standing with that most excellent online forum known as the Roth Army (www.rotharmy.com), I’d like to request a one-on-one interview with David Lee Roth at his convenience sometime before Van Halen’s May 19th concert at the Xcel Center in St. Paul, Minnesota. Before you reject my request out of hand, let me state that my background in journalism speaks for itself. I have interviewed everyone from state senators to Harlem Globetrotters, with a lot of other notable figures in between, and I’d be happy to provide samples of my work upon request. While there may be a slight ulterior motive on my part as I am, admittedly, a huge fan of the band – this request is submitted for your consideration with the upmost seriousness. In fact, I’d wager to say that my interview with Mr. Roth would be taken more seriously than most mainstream media outlets.

Let me be clear on this point: This is not simply another rabid Van Halen fan suffering from delusions of grandeur. What I’m looking for is less of the fabled Diamond Dave legends of old and more of the real David Lee Roth of 2012, and I will be asking questions guaranteed to be more interesting than the droll, weary, same-old-same-old questions Mr. Roth had been confronted with preceding the launch of the tour. My interview will be insightful but non-inflammatory regarding the band’s past history. We all know the story. We don’t need to go there. Selective amnesia, right? I would even go so far as to let my fellow Roth Army soldiers come up with the majority of questions to be asked – all of which will be provided to DDE so that they may be properly vetted before the interview. There will be no surprise ‘gotcha’ questions, and the upmost professionalism and respect will be offered to Mr. Roth at all times.

The content of this interview can be handled in two ways. I will be happy to provide a single recording device (an iPhone with sound recording capabilities) so that a record of our conversation can later be transcribed – let’s face it, trying to keep up with David Lee Roth’s answers in shorthand is all but impossible – or, you may provide a recording device of your own and transcribe the contents of our interview at your leisure, with the Roth Army as the exclusive outlet for its release. Photographs of the event would be appreciated, but are not mandatory – this will be at Mr. Roth’s discretion. I will be bringing a Canon Rebel camera for high resolution shots, or you may provide a private photographer of your choosing to document the interview – or decline photos altogether – your choice.

The location of said interview will also be at the discretion of Mr. Roth and/or his representatives at Diamond Dave Enterprises. The hotel chosen by the Van Halen tour in the Twin Cities area seems to be the most logical choice, but I am more than willing to meet at a private location if it suits Mr. Roth’s itinerary for the 18th of May (Friday) or the day of the show on Saturday, the 19th (or any day following their May 16th SAP show in Orlando for that matter). As with every other aspect of this event, the location will be kept private unless explicit permission has been granted by DDE to reveal – after the fact - where our interview will be taking place.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration in this matter. Should Mr. Roth choose to decline an exclusive interview with the Roth Army, then at the very least I would like to thank him – and the rest of his band mates – for delivering a truly epic Van Halen album, and the most entertaining tour in recent memory.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Yours Respectfully,

Zing!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 17 users say thank you to Zing! for this KICKASS post:

BumBahDeeDah (05-01-2012),Carmine (05-01-2012),chi-town324 (05-02-2012),don don (05-01-2012),Fairwrning (05-01-2012),fifth element (05-01-2012),Guitar Shark (05-01-2012),IceCreamBlondie (05-02-2012),Jetstream (05-02-2012),katina (05-01-2012),Momshell (05-01-2012),sadaist (05-01-2012),Sarge (05-02-2012),SparkieD (05-01-2012),TJ71 (05-02-2012),TJMKID (05-01-2012),vandeleur (05-01-2012)

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2021 @ 07:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 878 Posts

You've got balls, man! I hope it works out. Would be super cool, no doubt about it.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-17-2023 @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Hell yeah, Zing! I'd love to see it!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2021 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    As a member in reasonably good standing with that most excellent online forum known as the Roth Army (www.rotharmy.com), I’d like to request a one-on-one interview with David Lee Roth at his convenience sometime before Van Halen’s May 19th concert at the Xcel Center in St. Paul, Minnesota. Before you reject my request out of hand, let me state that my background in journalism speaks for itself. I have interviewed everyone from state senators to Harlem Globetrotters, with a lot of other notable figures in between, and I’d be happy to provide samples of my work upon request. While there may be a slight ulterior motive on my part as I am, admittedly, a huge fan of the band – this request is submitted for your consideration with the upmost seriousness. In fact, I’d wager to say that my interview with Mr. Roth would be taken more seriously than most mainstream media outlets.

I appreciate your endeavors ---- but shouldn't you at least post links to your online resume or interviews you've done to get some cred on this request ???

Dave and the VH boys seem to be aiming only at "pros" on this tour. The Cafe Wha? and Forum rehearsal gigs were invite-only for "professional media types". I think that was a little snobby on their part ---- but in all fairness they did manage to issue a press pass to WARF for Cafe Wha? and thus the Army was officially represented at that function.

Plus, I've heard rumors WARF got shoehorned into the official "She's the Woman" video on behalf of the Army's good working relationship with our DDE rep so that's encouraging as well.

Baby steps, my friend ---- don't get discouraged if your interview with Lord Diamond is refused ---- these things move kinda slow in this day and age.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2018 @ 08:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Sounds fantastic!

Hope you get the interview, Zing!

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2024 @ 06:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Interesting indeed....it would take all day and then some to interview Roth..seriously..ask yourselves, what ONE question would you throw out to David Lee Roth if given the opportunity?

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-16-2021 @ 10:37 AM
    Status
    Thanks

"How's married life?"

10. Thanked Mr Walker for this KICKASS post:

ZahZoo (05-02-2012)

Fools, I Live With Fools
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2015 @ 05:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    Interesting indeed....it would take all day and then some to interview Roth..seriously..ask yourselves, what ONE question would you throw out to David Lee Roth if given the opportunity?
    1985...any regrets? I would then throw in...be honest, because his answer would be " I have no regrets baby." Deep down he does.....I'm sure.
    Last edited by NIN1211; 05-01-2012 at 06:53 PM.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NIN1211 View Post
    1985...any regrets?
    good one

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

seriously..ask yourselves, what ONE question would you throw out to David Lee Roth if given the opportunity?
    Man, so many questions. I'd like to know at what point he had his first million dollars in the bank. What is the largest single check he received after all the lawyers, accountants, managers, promoters, agents, got their cut.

Also, but I wouldn't ask this until he retires or is out of VH, but was he ever asked to sing a Sammy era song? Would he have? If the subject ever came up what is the story?

Does he keep all of his old outfits & 1 of a kind unique stage props? Like the famous bear jacket.

How many completed/recorded VH songs are gathering dust from the bands inception until now? And will we ever hear them?

Are there any unreleased DLR songs from 1986-1991 era?

Have you ever personally visited the Roth Army?

Anyways, just some silly questions I have for myself. Would be fun to talk with the man. I really hope you get it Zing. Would be fucking awesome! I would really love to hear is thoughts on the Roth Army. Good luck bro!

ps - if he will only do an interview with us in San Diego, I got dibs.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I like the RA question...would be cool to know..I'm assuming he has since the " loves the passion", I believe, remark the rep made to VA.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    what ONE question would you throw out to David Lee Roth if given the opportunity?
    Which Van Halen has the most control over you; Edward, Alex or Wolfgang ??

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:29 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,500 Times in 1,613 Posts

utmost, not upmost.

17. Thanked twonabomber for this KICKASS post:

GreenEyedMurder (05-18-2012)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

One question...Why hasn't Van Halen released some of the old shows so that we can freakin' buy them???

19. Thanked DONNIEP for this KICKASS post:

IceCreamBlondie (05-02-2012)

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    utmost, not upmost.
    That too...

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Which Van Halen has the most control over you; Edward, Alex or Wolfgang ??

Ok..that was kinda funny yet fucked-up..

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

1985...any regrets? I would then throw in...be honest, because his answer would be " I have no regrets baby." Deep down he does.....I'm sure.

1985 was inevitable. The fighting had gone on long way too long by that point ---- there was not a therapist in the world who could salvage that sinking ship. It was DESTINY for Dave to leave.

I think the more important question would be ---- "If you could do MTV Awards 1996 all over again --- what would you do different?"

I think 1996 is as close as we came to a Roth-VH reunion that would've sold out soccer stadiums around the world ---- it's just the old hatreds flared up faster and more intensely than anyone imagined. I think if Eddie and Dave had a little pow-wow session before walking out to a standing ovation ---- things might have been laid out on the table in concrete terms and the Cherone hiring might have been nixed in favor of a new Roth-VH album and tour that could've smoked people's minds. Just imagine a whole new CD with songs on the calibre of "Me Wise Magic". Mike would've still been in the mix ---- like I said ---- sellouts at 80,000 seat soccer stadiums were guranteed.

The other question I'd ask if Dave has any regrets about not attending the VH induction into the RNR HOF. I know many people think the HOF is a joke ---- but I really believe Dave regrets not being there that night and saying what he needed to say. Dave has always been classy regardless of his current status with the brothers ---- and I think he woulda had a lot of eyes misting up with his heartfelt speech that night. Still burns me that he didnt show.

Belly Searcher
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 11:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Are you still totally leaving bread and potatoes alone?

Where's Animal?

What is the creative proccess this time around?

Is your contribution strictly lyrics and vocal melody?

Are you blown away by the music that the Van Halens present to you?

Guitar wise, how much of "Stay Frosty" is you?

Where'd you get that jacket?

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I would ask if anything has been discussed within the band about plans for the next few years.

I already know the history..how bout the future..
    Last edited by Fairwrning; 05-01-2012 at 07:34 PM.

25. Thanked Fairwrning for this KICKASS post:

ThatArtGuy (05-02-2012)

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    utmost, not upmost.
    Sheesh. What's next? Your gonna tell him it's bare in mind not bear in mind? (just kidding)

Go get'em Zing!!

Ask him if he and the boys can fire up a new version of Believe Me for ol' Bridge, will ya?
    Last edited by DLR Bridge; 05-01-2012 at 07:39 PM.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

You're wasting your breath Zing, although I admire the attempt.....

Belly Searcher
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Favorite ADKOT song:

Overall?
    Most fun for you?
    Most enjoyable performance for you by the rest of the band?

How awesome is Hacker-Pschorr Maibock this year?

What dirt does Ky-Mani Marley have on Van Halen?

Van Halen fan for life!
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-15-2017 @ 09:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Good luck Zing...you never know. As I've stated before, you can't win the lottery if you don't buy the ticket. Godspeed my friend!!!

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-17-2015 @ 12:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies and encouragement - lots of good material so far. A few points:

My utmost apologies for any typos. See what happens when you rely on Microsoft Word to catch your errors? I should have known better...

While there were some great questions about 1985, 1996, and Dave's solo years - my focus (which is to say OUR focus) is 2011-12 and beyond, unless Dave should volunteer that information.

Absolutely no mention of Sammy Hagar will be made. No way. No how.

My past work: I do agree that examples of previous interviews should be available to DDE reps - which I will be happy to provide if asked. I do not agree that my resume should be posted for all the world to see. While I freely admit that I got burned out of the journalism game years ago, I still have a passion for the written word. My work was exclusively newspaper, so there isn't much I can do as far as links go for past issues. The best I can do is scan copies from my own archives, which I am more than willing to do.

Wasting my breath: Yes, unquestionably. But for me, the only wasted breath is the one not taken in pursuit of a dream. This thread is grounded in reality - and with that said, I fully expect the 5/19 St. Paul show to come and go with the only Dave quotes coming from onstage. I'm fine with that. In the meantime, we've got some interesting food for thought - some really insightful questions from the fans who know him best - and plenty to work with should a miracle occur.

Thanks again for all the positive feedback - I plan on compiling all of our questions into one master list (after this weekend, in which Zing! turns 40 and drinks from Friday afternoon until Sunday night...) Keep the questions coming, and, as always,

Stay Frosty!

Fools, I Live With Fools
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2015 @ 05:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    Thanks for the replies and encouragement - lots of good material so far. A few points:

My utmost apologies for any typos. See what happens when you rely on Microsoft Word to catch your errors? I should have known better...

While there were some great questions about 1985, 1996, and Dave's solo years - my focus (which is to say OUR focus) is 2011-12 and beyond, unless Dave should volunteer that information.

Absolutely no mention of Sammy Hagar will be made. No way. No how.

My past work: I do agree that examples of previous interviews should be available to DDE reps - which I will be happy to provide if asked. I do not agree that my resume should be posted for all the world to see. While I freely admit that I got burned out of the journalism game years ago, I still have a passion for the written word. My work was exclusively newspaper, so there isn't much I can do as far as links go for past issues. The best I can do is scan copies from my own archives, which I am more than willing to do.

Wasting my breath: Yes, unquestionably. But for me, the only wasted breath is the one not taken in pursuit of a dream. This thread is grounded in reality - and with that said, I fully expect the 5/19 St. Paul show to come and go with the only Dave quotes coming from onstage. I'm fine with that. In the meantime, we've got some interesting food for thought - some really insightful questions from the fans who know him best - and plenty to work with should a miracle occur.

Thanks again for all the positive feedback - I plan on compiling all of our questions into one master list (after this weekend, in which Zing! turns 40 and drinks from Friday afternoon until Sunday night...) Keep the questions coming, and, as always,

Stay Frosty!

With all the surprises these guys are throwin' at us....ya never know. Good luck Amigo! One more point,Zing.Tell Dave...............Thanks!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Go for it, Zing!

Fuck, I mean, what's the worst that could happen? You don't get the interview...no harm, no foul.

But if you do...I mean, how fucking cool would THAT be?!

Good luck!!

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

One more point,Zing. Tell Dave...............Thanks!

Yeah. That is #1 on the list. If he has had to lick EVH's butthole behind the scenes for 5 years for this to happen or if he stood his ground & EVH gave in who knows. We may never know...unless Dave releases another book someday. But whatever it took....THANK YOU DAVE!!!!

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

The Good,The Bad,&TheUgly
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2016 @ 01:10 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Good luck Zing! Let us know what happens...we are rooting for ya!

p.s. I would LOVE to know if Our Man Roth reads the Roth Army every once in a while.....

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Yeah. That is #1 on the list. If he has had to lick EVH's butthole behind the scenes for 5 years for this to happen or if he stood his ground & EVH gave in who knows. We may never know...unless Dave releases another book someday. But whatever it took....THANK YOU DAVE!!!!

I think there is a good chance Dave will write another book ---- I've heard rumors it's already in rough draft and titled "The Tao of Dave" ???

"Crazy From the Heat" kinda leaves you with a bad taste from the '96 MTV fiasco and I think Dave wants to put a happy ending on his VH years with these 2 recent tours. I think we'll hear a lot about that redemption in his 2nd book.

Can't wait to read it !!!

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    I think there is a good chance Dave will write another book ---- I've heard rumors it's already in rough draft and titled "The Tao of Dave" ???

"Crazy From the Heat" kinda leaves you with a bad taste from the '96 MTV fiasco and I think Dave wants to put a happy ending on his VH years with these 2 recent tours. I think we'll hear a lot about that redemption in his 2nd book.

That would be cool. Hope it happens.

LIGHT EM UP!!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2015 @ 07:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Whats the story behind the foot cast on the back of the Van Halen II album? Did he really break it jumping off risers trying to get a good picture?
    Good luck Zing...hope ya hear something either way...

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lets just hope the book talks about "these last 3-4 tours and 2-3 albums & live dvd". wink wink

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-30-2022 @ 04:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I appreciate your endeavors ---- but shouldn't you at least post links to your online resume or interviews you've done to get some cred on this request ???

Dave and the VH boys seem to be aiming only at "pros" on this tour. The Cafe Wha? and Forum rehearsal gigs were invite-only for "professional media types". I think that was a little snobby on their part ---- but in all fairness they did manage to issue a press pass to WARF for Cafe Wha? and thus the Army was officially represented at that function.

Plus, I've heard rumors WARF got shoehorned into the official "She's the Woman" video on behalf of the Army's good working relationship with our DDE rep so that's encouraging as well.

Baby steps, my friend ---- don't get discouraged if your interview with Lord Diamond is refused ---- these things move kinda slow in this day and age.

actually post references in public removed from the source who your contacting is consider unprofessional, but I understand your perspective as well. I think it is a well written proposal

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IceCreamBlondie View Post

p.s. I would LOVE to know if Our Man Roth reads the Roth Army every once in a while.....

Totally agree. In fact I think ALL celebrities should hit up their main fan sites now & then and possibly make a few posts. But the majority of celebrities now are so detached from the actual fanbase it's ridiculous. They just let TMZ and the likes do all the work for them. Rather than reaching out to the fans for publicity they just "forget" to wear panties or let a sex tape "leak" out. LAME.

Dave kicked us some tickets to Cafe Wha? and the Los Angeles shows. Right there is serious props from the man himself.

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    07-31-2013 @ 09:11 AM
    Status
    Thanks

David Lee - do you still sleep in two to four hour bursts, three or so times a day with your ski hat? Do you still hide under the covers and flip around on the radio dial? What's for breakfast? (Don't say the competition I've heard that one.)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,989 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BumBahDeeDah View Post

Where's Animal?
    Animal was let go, as was all of Dave's old crew.

Belly Searcher
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Damn. I liked Animal. Spoke to him on the radio. Sold him a watch. (maybe he got let go partly due to lateness).

He was at the show in NYC in '08, but of course things change.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IceCreamBlondie View Post
    Good luck Zing! Let us know what happens...we are rooting for ya!

I think "every once in a while" is overestimating it, but yes, he has been on the site....

46. 2 users say thank you to Va Beach VH Fan for this KICKASS post:

IceCreamBlondie (05-02-2012),sadaist (05-02-2012)

Thread Information