∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

A Different Kind of Truth Tab Book

So....I'm out and aboot today....pop into the local Guitar store....

Ramble by the tab book display.....HOLY SHIT!!!

ADKOT TAB BOOK!!!

I noticed the LARGE CLASSIC VAN HALEN symbol from a ways off.....

I instantly head to the check out counter....the long haired older rocker dude takes one look at me....."Yeah....I grabbed that as soon as I saw it too!"

Me : "It's the 1st VAN HALEN tab book I've bought.......(Dramatic pause).....SINCE 1984!"

Him: "Hell yeah man!"

BRILLIANT!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to Matt White for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (05-02-2012),sadaist (05-02-2012)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Wants!!!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Aw fuck. I don't want to even think about As Is or Honeybabysweetiedoll. Gonna be way too many numbers on those pages for my hack fingers to keep up pace.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Damn, it's already sold out at Amazon!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Aw fuck. I don't want to even think about As Is or Honeybabysweetiedoll. Gonna be way too many numbers on those pages for my hack fingers to keep up pace.
    You kidding? "As Is" is the FIRST tune I wanna check out! I noticed in the NAMM video someone posted of him playing the riff from a few years back the other day he's definitely playing it differently than I thought just trying to pick it up by ear...I've gotten the main riff pretty close notation-wise, but the way he's playing it in the video it's easier to make the notes pop out distinctly...

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-16-2021 @ 10:37 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Damn, it's already sold out at Amazon!
    I wonder if I'm beat on the preorder I did last week.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-12-2014 @ 11:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 757 Posts

The As Is riff he always played in the key of A but on the album version it's clearly in the key of B.

Capo the 2nd fret and hammer away on the A string.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

http://www.download32.com/guitar-and...r-2-i1682.html

Here is a shareware program that you can load a track in and slow down to figure it out.
    It's effective to get the nuances of the performance that is impossible to get from tabs or sheet music alone.

10. 3 users say thank you to ThrillsNSpills for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (05-02-2012),jhale667 (05-02-2012),vandeleur (05-03-2012)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

My Boss eBand thing can slow down the track keeping the pitch the same, lets you strip out most of the guitar, play along with the mp3 with effects and record it.

Unfortunately I just never seem to have enough time these days to properly work stuff out.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 07:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 823 Posts

excellent!!

now the advice i give all my students, and they all play really really technical metal, is learn the notes thoroughly first and practise S L O W L Y...

this way takes patience, but anyone can do it if you put in the time. (lookin at you, sada)

when you can get it happening at maybe half speed, then set about speeding it up. fast+sloppy= no good.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    I'm kind of wary about purchasing this because it came out almost TOO fast...I wonder about the accuracy of the tabs.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

the thought crossed my mind terry, but a quick look over it should reveal all...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Yeah the quality of tabs varies hugely.

I have to say I bought tab for VH1 and VHII a few years back and didn't find it hugely helpful because I found that Eddie has such a unique style it's difficult to translate in particular his rhythm playing from tab.

I think maybe it's better(and quicker) to try and do it by ear initially at least and then use the tab to check what you are playing to see if say you are missing a note on a chord or whatever.

For other people, like say Steve Vai, tab works better because they are more mechanistic.

There is also a strange optimism that goes with guitar tab that for some crazy fucking reason when you buy it you think that you will then automatically be able to play it. By that reckoning you should be able to buy the music to a Bach concerto and wander down the local church and play it on their organ.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 05-02-2012 at 09:59 PM.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I trust Tabs now WAY more than "back in the day"..............

I remember seeing "Little Guitars" tabed for the 1st time......Not even close!

This book is weird though......."Recording sounds a 1/2 step flat"......than TAB IT THAT WAY! And BIG RIVER sounds in standard tuning to my ears.......

I remember seeing HELLS BELLS tabed in 1st position for decades....then seeing AC/DC on SNL......& ANGUS playing it in the 7th position.......laughed my ASS OFF!!!

17. 2 users say thank you to Matt White for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (05-03-2012),jhale667 (05-03-2012)

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

yes matt!

the open strings always are a dead giveaway too. i guess that's the beauty of guitar though, you can play the same notes/chords in so many different ways.

works for me.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, you haven't lived until you've had to check tab...and you're going off something where an instructor has actually taken the time to learn a lick correctly - at least it sounds that way in the video you're watching of them playing it - and the tab is something completely different - different position, string, etc.! I had to re-write a few sections entirely on occasion...wondered if the original transcriber even bothered to watch the video, or did their portion separately...

Correcting tab really expanded my horizons though, as I was asked to work on transcriptions for artists/styles I'd probably never bother to learn on my own, in some cases I didn't even listen to their music previously...

What's with the "recording sounds a half step flat" bit...(?) they're tuned that way, hello!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Tab books always flummoxed me. OK, Paul McCartney is a wonderful writer, but there is no way in hell that he could have come up with some of the finger-breaking chords transcribed for ""Blackbird" in one of those Beatles books I bought a few decades ago. And for crying out loud, if the creators of these things can't even get things correct for a three chord Neil Diamond or Jimmy Buffet tune, I'm somewhat doubtful about their transcriptions for "Spanish Fly", let alone anything performed by Yes or even Bachman Turner Overdrive.

The fact is, the last time I bought one of these books was sometime in the late seventies, and only then because it was full of really cool photos.

Last edited by chefcraig; 05-03-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    01-08-2015 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The best one I have is Ozzy RR tribute. Very well done. I can't remember who did it. Prolly Wolfe Marshall?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Tab books always flummoxed me. OK, Paul McCartney is a wonderful writer, but there is no way in hell that he could have come up with some of the finger-breaking chords transcribed for ""Blackbird" in one of those Beatles books I bought a few decades ago. And for crying out loud, if the creators of these things can't even get things correct for a three chord Neil Diamond or Jimmy Buffet tune, I'm somewhat doubtful about their transcriptions for "Spanish Fly", let alone anything performed by Yes or even Bachman Turner Overdrive.

The fact is, the last time I bought one of these books was sometime in the late seventies, and only then because it was full of really cool photos.

I had that book as a kid too...and it was before the dawn of tabulature, that sucker was written as a piano score!!!

23. Thanked jhale667 for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (05-03-2012)

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Chef I had the Beatles Complete as a kid.
    Simple tunes in the key of C got changed to E flat.

Years earlier I was taking keyboard lessons and had this crazy book with Maggie May as a lesson.
    The chords (in reality) of the verse are A G D. The book just had A and G and stayed on G where the 3rd chord should have been D.
    We're not dealing with jazz chords here, just A G D, and they couldn't get that right.

Everyone is correct to be leary of sheet music.
    http://www.download32.com/guitar-and...r-2-i1682.html with guitar and drum trainer you can get to half speed staying in pitch and set the parameters to any section of the song where you can set it on repeat. The boss eband device looks like it does the job as well.
    I still have the Ibanez rock and play which took tapes down to half speed.

At least this way you have a point of reference when judging the sheet music, as previously mentioned.
    You can get the positions straight from the artist if there's a live video, like with Blood and Fire for example.
    That's a good thing about Youtube, it demystifies the process a bit.

25. Thanked ThrillsNSpills for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (05-03-2012)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThrillsNSpills View Post
    Simple tunes in the key of C got changed to E flat.

Years earlier I was taking keyboard lessons and had this crazy book with Maggie May as a lesson.
    The chords (in reality) of the verse are A G D. The book just had A and G and stayed on G where the 3rd chord should have been D.
    We're not dealing with jazz chords here, just A G D, and they couldn't get that right.

Everyone is correct to be leary of sheet music.
    Exactly! Even if you consider that a guitar may have been altered in the studio, either by tuning down or by tape speed, how is it possible that a simple C chord becomes some oddly augmented flat that requires both hands to form when written down and committed to paper? Yet the practice persists to this day, including the concept of simply leaving out entire passages of a song by remaining static on a single chord, rather than performing the entire movement.

I was reminded of this as recently as two days ago, while attempting to find the music and words for Tom Wait's "I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You." This is unarguably the best of a batch of barroom life songs ever written (The Replacements' "Here Comes A Regular" ranks right up there), and having only heard the charming version done by Hootie & The Blowfish, I wanted to learn more about it. In my search I discovered that for one thing, the Blowfish version omits an entire verse, yet when it came down to finding the correct chords for what is essentially a song about as complex as "Louie, Louie", I could not find any two in the same key, let alone possessing the proper arrangement. So what did I end up doing? Yup...I printed out the lyrics while at work and found a clip on Youtube, transcribing (IE, watching the screen and matching the chords on my acoustic) myself.

Last edited by chefcraig; 05-03-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 1,488 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Yeah, you haven't lived until you've had to check tab...and you're going off something where an instructor has actually taken the time to learn a lick correctly - at least it sounds that way in the video you're watching of them playing it - and the tab is something completely different - different position, string, etc.! I had to re-write a few sections entirely on occasion...wondered if the original transcriber even bothered to watch the video, or did their portion separately...

Correcting tab really expanded my horizons though, as I was asked to work on transcriptions for artists/styles I'd probably never bother to learn on my own, in some cases I didn't even listen to their music previously...

What's with the "recording sounds a half step flat" bit...(?) they're tuned that way, hello!

I find that a lot with user submitted tabs on a lot of these online tab sites, particularly with sections notated on the correct fret but the wrong strings...or any one given song tabbed by multiple users will have the same sections played on different positions on the neck with each user submission.

Still, tab is a useful guide...a heck of a lot easier than trying to figure something out by ear on your own...kind of like Cliff Notes for lazy guitarists who can't read sheet music.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I find that a lot with user submitted tabs on a lot of these online tab sites, particularly with sections notated on the correct fret but the wrong strings...or any one given song tabbed by multiple users will have the same sections played on different positions on the neck with each user submission.

Still, tab is a useful guide...a heck of a lot easier than trying to figure something out by ear on your own...kind of like Cliff Notes for lazy guitarists who can't read sheet music.
    Oh sure, if it's right from a notation standpoint it's helpful, but I tried to imagine a kid or a beginner who wasn't familiar with the fretboard watching what the video instructor was doing, looking at the tab and going "Huh??" I wanted to make sure the tab matched the footage, and eliminate that possible confusion...

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-19-2021 @ 04:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Or, who can, but very slowly...

It's not a bad skill to possess, one just has to be careful not to run headlong into jazz theory while learning it. That shit can and will get weirder than a Hunter S. Thompson rant in a nanosecond.
    Overtone-systems, tetrachords, etc... (read: shit that might not be necessary in real world situations. None of which can be easily applied to songwriting.)

30. Thanked Coyote for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (05-04-2012)

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-16-2019 @ 09:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Does anybody know who worked on this?

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Matt Schnarfglass is the name that jumps out.....he works for GUITAR WORLD....& their tabs are usually damn good....they get the artist involved which cuts out the mystery!

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

Got mine a few days ago and just learned Stay Frosty! What a fun song to play!

34. 2 users say thank you to VAiN for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (05-16-2012),Matt White (05-17-2012)

Thread Information