Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you care that Ky-Mani Marley is the opener for the second leg of the tour?

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Question Do you care that Ky-Mani Marley is the opener for the second leg of the tour?

I was talking to a die-hard VH friend on the phone who attended last night's Tulsa concert, and he was pretty animated (in a negative way) about the selection of Ky-Mani Marley as the opening act for the next leg. I don't really care because I'm pretty used to VH having awful opening acts and I just take it for what it basically is, which is one of these "an evening with" shows with no opening act. Of course even in VH's heyday they never had anyone worth a damn open for them, although for a couple of Van Hagar tours they did have real bands opening like Alice in Chains and Collective Soul.

But he did bring up an interesting point--it'd be nice if they had a decent opening act if for nothing else than to be a pot sweetener for everyone else who goes to these concerts, and not just us who follow the band religiously every day on these boards and on the internet. He said that while Kool and the Gang are an odd opener, at least they have name recognition and everyone knows one or two of their songs, and they're perfectly fine for doing exactly what an opening act should do--get people engaged and warm up the crowd. For everyone besides us, it gives you at least SOME feeling of value for your dollar. Plus if you want to bring a significant other to the show who's not really a VH fan, an opening act like that can help your cause. But Ky-Mani Marley, he said, sells zero tickets and does absolutely nothing for you. There's no curiosity factor going on there especially since he's a retread. We both agreed he pretty much sucks and sure as hell isn't his father.

I brought up the point that Aerosmith is once again teaming with Cheap Trick this summer. I would think this is because Aerosmith isn't all that confident they can sell out arenas on their own anymore. And we know that while attendance at the VH shows has generally been solid, there have been some shows like Jacksonville and Montreal that underperformed. So it's not like they couldn't use the boost. I surmised that a better opening act might eat more into the profits, which VH probably wouldn't be keen on.

So then my friend said if they don't want a solid, established act opening for them like Cheap Trick, why not give an unheard-of rock band a chance instead of a known, awful retread like Ky-Mani Marley. Could it be that they don't want anyone upstaging them the way they upstaged Black Sabbath in 1978? At this point in their careers I don't think it matters at all if the younger band is phenomenal. No one's going to be let down by VH especially given how well they're rolling along right now.

So why are VH going with such a poor opening act in this day and age? The only thing I could think of is that Dave likes him and wants to do him another favor bringing him on board. I'm pretty sure Ky-Mani could use the work.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was quietly hoping they would get Blackberry Smoke to open the second leg of the tour.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Maybe Dave wants to have a close supply of smoke?
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I still say Cheap Trick would be the ultimate VH opener of all times. As good as they are live they wouldn't outshine VH. But man, talk about a 1-2 punch.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I agree Cheap Trick would be so great with VH..and the only reason I would go to an Aerosmith show is to see Cheap Trick.
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cheap Trick are old and tired sounding...

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As a huge Bob Marley fan, I'm probably not the best person to ask this question, but...

I figure this is the closest I'm ever going to get to seeing Bob live. I love a lot of reggae in general (although some of the new stuff comes a little too close to hip-hop for me). I like an opening act that doesn't make me think too hard. I love hearing Bob's songs live, if done right. I love grooving to something that Dave obviously connects with. I love the fact that Dave is giving props to someone he singled out on the 07/08 tour and gave massive exposure to (good or bad). I love having a short respite before the =VH= chaos begins to mellow out and get high on life.

My karma just ran over your dogma.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    so are you...

(you made that too easy!)
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Who fucking cares

5 years ago everyone here would have applauded if Kermit the frog was going to open for them.

Bitch bitch bitch

Roth And Roll

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    five years ago, we all stayed in the bar until the Marley spawn was offstage!

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vh rides again View Post
    Who fucking cares

5 years ago everyone here would have applauded if Kermit the frog was going to open for them.
    Roth And Roll
    Yes but only if he would have opened with It's not Easy Being Green.
    like on the Kermit live from Budokan album.

Van Halen fan for life!
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There's a guy down in Miami that's gonna be PISSED when he sees you bad-mouthing Kermit!!! Especially after he spent all that time and money getting a Kermit tattoo!Lol! For what it's worth, I look at the opening act as the unofficial last call for Jager bombs before cashing out the bar tab and beginning the T-minus Van Fuckin' Halen countdown!!!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    As a huge Bob Marley fan, I'm probably not the best person to ask this question, but...

I figure this is the closest I'm ever going to get to seeing Bob live. I love a lot of reggae in general (although some of the new stuff comes a little too close to hip-hop for me). I like an opening act that doesn't make me think too hard. I love hearing Bob's songs live, if done right. I love grooving to something that Dave obviously connects with. I love the fact that Dave is giving props to someone he singled out on the 07/08 tour and gave massive exposure to (good or bad). I love having a short respite before the =VH= chaos begins to mellow out and get high on life.

Time for you to visit Jamaica Dude

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Was Bob Marley really any good or was it just cool to jump on his stoner bandwagon? Aside from '3 Little Birds' once in a blue moon, I wouldn't care if I never heard another Bob Marley song for the rest of my life.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    I will say this:

This

Seriously though....Kool & The Gang was stretching it a bit. Rockers wanna see rock bands. I think it was cool that K & TG was opening, as I got to see a band I never saw before.

AND...they were highly professional, and turned out a great set......I can honestly say that even though I was bored with 90% of what they played.

Putting a Marley up there is going too far.

Seriously. I think he is going to have a tough crowd, and no matter who he is related to, he is going to have to be really really astonishing in order to get a positive response.

I think this is an error on the part of Dave, or whomever wanted him to open for them.

I am glad he got the gig, don't get me wrong, as it is going to be the highpoint of his career possibly, and definitely will expose him to large crowds and as a result may increase his fan base drastically over previous levels.....

But I was willing to give K & TG the ok, because they have produced some iconic, classic R & B in their time. They are not an unknown act to me.

If Ky-Mani Marley had a different name, I would not know who the hell he is. In fact, I had never heard of him before until I saw this thread. I recognize the name...means he is somehow related to Bob....who WAS brilliantly amazing....who can forget his performance of No Woman No Cry from the Rainbow Theater in London in 1975? But I digress.......

Here in Nashville....the arena was only half-full at best...HALFWAY THROUGH K & TG's SET!

I predict when Ky-Mani starts doing dates....the venues will not even be that full until the set change starts.....

He is unknown to the common populace for the most part....

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ky-Mani Marley is to Bob Marley as Chris Wallace is to Mike Wallace.

DNA isn't everything.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
    Was Bob Marley really any good or was it just cool to jump on his stoner bandwagon? Aside from '3 Little Birds' once in a blue moon, I wouldn't care if I never heard another Bob Marley song for the rest of my life.
    I love listening to Bob Marley even when I'm not stoned (which I haven't been in over a decade anyway)

The Good,The Bad,&TheUgly
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    I still say Cheap Trick would be the ultimate VH opener of all times. As good as they are live they wouldn't outshine VH. But man, talk about a 1-2 punch.
    I'm for that. Cheap Trick as an opener woulda been great!
    I'm Stayin' Frosty!

The Good,The Bad,&TheUgly
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vh rides again View Post
    Who fucking cares

Bitch bitch bitch

Roth And Roll
    Five years ago, I would have shown up earlier to the Arena if Kermit the Frog was the opening act. Along with Animal, too. Imagine Alex shaking hands with Animal!

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Perhaps some of it has to do with simple economics in terms of concessions.

Kool & The Gang performed well. They had several songs everybody knew and got the crowd warmed up. However, there wasn't one stitch of Kool & The Gang clothing or any other K & The G merchandise at the arena concession stands that I saw. The same would apply to Ky-Mani Marley going forward.

For Van Halen, the money is in the touring. They're a proven sell-out act that doesn't need a package tour to put asses in the seats, so why tour with another popular band and take the chance of diluting the t-shirt sales? Or have to deal with a higher-profile band in terms of how much stage lighting can be used for their slot, how much stage time will be allocated, etc.?
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    I love listening to Bob Marley even when I'm not stoned (which I haven't been in over a decade anyway)
    some buds for mr. FORD, STAT!!!!
    Last edited by ashstralia; 05-02-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: got rid of vid

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ky-mani is not even that popular in Jamaica.....to be honest. He is the lesser popular (music-wise) of the brothers-though not a competition.

I forget who wrote it but someone said it is the closest to see Bob..I say that to be true in name only.

I don't mind a vast difference of a rock and reggae type of show. I like both alot. I would for sure welcome a good act...I have seen too many to count reggae acts. But Ky-mani would definitely not be in the running at all....in my opinion-even if he does a song or 2 from his dad.....Locally he is known best for sitting on the tables at the Bob Marley museum where they sometimes serve food..

I would imagine again it is Dave's input....perhaps Dave likes a song or 2 or they do have a relationship. It could also be a monteary thing (he probably commands less) and to the masses..it is the name 'Marley' that will be the draw. But that is about it.

I don't like Ky-mani as a musician....so...that is my answer..

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hands down ---- they should get Steel Panther to be the opening act on the 2nd leg ---- Ralph Saenz does a better old-school Dave than anyone alive:

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thanks for another worthless opinion douchebag. Hey just so you know, Robin Zander has played more guitar on more gold records and arena shows than you ever will you fucking hack! Fuck off!

And yes I know he's not the lead guitar player, that was part of the insult.
    gnaw on it

fourthcoming
    "Have you forgotten the charisma of Robin Zander? I want you to want me? The dream Police....ba da da da da da da".....(Mike Damone....Fast Times) One of the first concerts I ever saw was Robert Plant....Now and Zen tour with Joan Jett and Cheap Trick opening up.....Cheap trick was great.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    as a little kid in oz i remember hearing 'dream police' and being amazed at it's epicness. epicicity?
    to this day, as well.

cheap trick have got to be one of the all time great bands ever. end of story.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    FUCKING A.....i was hoping they would get BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION...but the guitar player is off doing his solo shit. You have to agree they had some great opening acts when PUBLIC ENEMY #1 was the singer....and I wish they would take out a big name opener. That is why I was super fuckin' stoked when there was talk of the Scorpions going on tour with them this year...that would have been epic. Cheap Trick not so much. I can think of 10 more bands that would be perfect to open for these additional dates, but I bet nobody on here gives a fuck about who they are. Kool And The Gang was a surprise as to how good they were, but still I wanted a different band.....Van Halen should show some support to some of the rock/metal bands out there that could use a major tour spot. And if they can go with R@B..why not the other extreme???? Metal bands like thrash...or power metal???

fourthcoming
    Quote Originally Posted by SLAUGHTER MAN View Post
    FUCKING A.....i was hoping they would get BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION...but the guitar player is off doing his solo shit. You have to agree they had some great opening acts when PUBLIC ENEMY #1 was the singer....and I wish they would take out a big name opener. That is why I was super fuckin' stoked when there was talk of the Scorpions going on tour with them this year...that would have been epic. Cheap Trick not so much. I can think of 10 more bands that would be perfect to open for these additional dates, but I bet nobody on here gives a fuck about who they are. Kool And The Gang was a surprise as to how good they were, but still I wanted a different band.....Van Halen should show some support to some of the rock/metal bands out there that could use a major tour spot. And if they can go with R@B..why not the other extreme???? Metal bands like thrash...or power metal???
    I hear what your saying but fuck that.....I don't wanna show up at a VH show to find a bunch of 20 yr old retards who are into cannibal corpse........Scorps would have been very cool.

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ky-Mani Marley was boring and forgettable in the '07-'08 tour, and he'll be boring and forgettable this time around, too.

They should have fulfilled one of the earlier rumors and grabbed Triumph.
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    However, there wasn't one stitch of Kool & The Gang clothing or any other K & The G merchandise at the arena concession stands that I saw.

They had Kool and the Gang merchandise in Atlantic City....

Shirts, can coolers, and some other junk.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Maybe Dave wants to have a close supply of smoke?
    Just what his voice needs.....more smoke.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    Hands down ---- they should get Steel Panther to be the opening act on the 2nd leg ---- Ralph Saenz does a better old-school Dave than anyone alive.
    No offense, but why on Earth would you want to see a clone of "Old School Dave" just before seeing the present day real deal? That just strikes me as odd.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just curious where did you hear or read that?

Quote Originally Posted by fryingdutchman View Post
    Ky-Mani Marley was boring and forgettable in the '07-'08 tour, and he'll be boring and forgettable this time around, too.

They should have fulfilled one of the earlier rumors and grabbed Triumph.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cheap Trick should be opening for no-one, as they deserve to headline any show they are performing at. The only one old and tired sounding here is you, along with the predictability of your posting as of late. For crying out loud King, drink a can of Red Bull or even some Gatorade, crack open a package of those bizarrely orange colored peanut butter crackers and get back on your game.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have to agree with Lou... Marley Jr is really hitting the bottom of the barrel and a total mismatch from a music genre perspective.

It was somewhat novel having K&TG knowing Dave's obsession with R&B and a recognizable historic band. But still the choice didn't help or hurt attendance either way... but clearly didn't enhance or add much to the overall experience.

Given VH's legacy and stature today... there's no reasonable cause for being insecure over an opening act upstaging them. They are Van Fucking Halen... nuff said.

I'd rather they had a young rising newer rock act or hell if they wanted to add a cross-genre draw to easily fill seats there's a huge pool of younger rising country bands that are far more Rock and Southern Rock oriented than old school tears-in-yer-beers cuntry...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've seen CT rip it up at clubs a handful of times in the past 20 years. They no doubt still kill it live. I just don't think they could do an arena as headliner anymore. They are immensely important to the history of rock, but their current show is best seen headlining in a packed club or as an opener on an arena tour. Their my second all time favorite band so if they went out with VH, that would absolutely work for me!

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That has to be the dumbest fucking thing I've ever read on this site!
    Your parents must sit together and cry over their epic life-FAIL...

...what a goddamn idiot.
    Last edited by hambon4lif; 05-03-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cheap Trick still rocks - ELBOW's not liking them is actually a compliment; with the exception of being a VH fan, he's otherwise ALL ABOUT THE SUCK.

As for Marley, skipped the majority of his set in '07, would probably do the same this time...no worries, more time to drink.

fourthcoming
    Honestly, I wouldn't care if VH didn't even have an opening act. 2 hours at a show is enough for me. I don't need to get in early to sit through two bands when the only one I'm there to see is VH.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is a non issue......

Thread Information