Do you care that Ky-Mani Marley is the opener for the second leg of the tour?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loucap81
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2012

Do you care that Ky-Mani Marley is the opener for the second leg of the tour?

I was talking to a die-hard VH friend on the phone who attended last night's Tulsa concert, and he was pretty animated (in a negative way) about the selection of Ky-Mani Marley as the opening act for the next leg. I don't really care because I'm pretty used to VH having awful opening acts and I just take it for what it basically is, which is one of these "an evening with" shows with no opening act. Of course even in VH's heyday they never had anyone worth a damn open for them, although for a couple of Van Hagar tours they did have real bands opening like Alice in Chains and Collective Soul.

But he did bring up an interesting point--it'd be nice if they had a decent opening act if for nothing else than to be a pot sweetener for everyone else who goes to these concerts, and not just us who follow the band religiously every day on these boards and on the internet. He said that while Kool and the Gang are an odd opener, at least they have name recognition and everyone knows one or two of their songs, and they're perfectly fine for doing exactly what an opening act should do--get people engaged and warm up the crowd. For everyone besides us, it gives you at least SOME feeling of value for your dollar. Plus if you want to bring a significant other to the show who's not really a VH fan, an opening act like that can help your cause. But Ky-Mani Marley, he said, sells zero tickets and does absolutely nothing for you. There's no curiosity factor going on there especially since he's a retread. We both agreed he pretty much sucks and sure as hell isn't his father.

I brought up the point that Aerosmith is once again teaming with Cheap Trick this summer. I would think this is because Aerosmith isn't all that confident they can sell out arenas on their own anymore. And we know that while attendance at the VH shows has generally been solid, there have been some shows like Jacksonville and Montreal that underperformed. So it's not like they couldn't use the boost. I surmised that a better opening act might eat more into the profits, which VH probably wouldn't be keen on.

So then my friend said if they don't want a solid, established act opening for them like Cheap Trick, why not give an unheard-of rock band a chance instead of a known, awful retread like Ky-Mani Marley. Could it be that they don't want anyone upstaging them the way they upstaged Black Sabbath in 1978? At this point in their careers I don't think it matters at all if the younger band is phenomenal. No one's going to be let down by VH especially given how well they're rolling along right now.

So why are VH going with such a poor opening act in this day and age? The only thing I could think of is that Dave likes him and wants to do him another favor bringing him on board. I'm pretty sure Ky-Mani could use the work.
  • Mr Walker
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

I was quietly hoping they would get Blackberry Smoke to open the second leg of the tour.

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Maybe Dave wants to have a close supply of smoke?
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

I still say Cheap Trick would be the ultimate VH opener of all times. As good as they are live they wouldn't outshine VH. But man, talk about a 1-2 punch.
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• So this is love
          Veteran
          • Jan 2012

I agree Cheap Trick would be so great with VH..and the only reason I would go to an Aerosmith show is to see Cheap Trick.
          Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Cheap Trick are old and tired sounding...

Comment

• Zing!
              Veteran
              • Oct 2011

As a huge Bob Marley fan, I'm probably not the best person to ask this question, but...

I figure this is the closest I'm ever going to get to seeing Bob live. I love a lot of reggae in general (although some of the new stuff comes a little too close to hip-hop for me). I like an opening act that doesn't make me think too hard. I love hearing Bob's songs live, if done right. I love grooving to something that Dave obviously connects with. I love the fact that Dave is giving props to someone he singled out on the 07/08 tour and gave massive exposure to (good or bad). I love having a short respite before the =VH= chaos begins to mellow out and get high on life.

My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                Cheap Trick are old and tired sounding...
                so are you...

(you made that too easy!)
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• vh rides again
                  Commando
                  • Dec 2006

Who fucking cares

5 years ago everyone here would have applauded if Kermit the frog was going to open for them.

Bitch bitch bitch

Roth And Roll

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

five years ago, we all stayed in the bar until the Marley spawn was offstage!
                    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by vh rides again
                      Who fucking cares

5 years ago everyone here would have applauded if Kermit the frog was going to open for them.
                      Roth And Roll
                      Yes but only if he would have opened with It's not Easy Being Green.
                      like on the Kermit live from Budokan album.

Comment

• don don
                        Groupie
                        • Jan 2007

There's a guy down in Miami that's gonna be PISSED when he sees you bad-mouthing Kermit!!! Especially after he spent all that time and money getting a Kermit tattoo!Lol! For what it's worth, I look at the opening act as the unofficial last call for Jager bombs before cashing out the bar tab and beginning the T-minus Van Fuckin' Halen countdown!!!

Comment

• So this is love
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Zing!
                          As a huge Bob Marley fan, I'm probably not the best person to ask this question, but...

I figure this is the closest I'm ever going to get to seeing Bob live. I love a lot of reggae in general (although some of the new stuff comes a little too close to hip-hop for me). I like an opening act that doesn't make me think too hard. I love hearing Bob's songs live, if done right. I love grooving to something that Dave obviously connects with. I love the fact that Dave is giving props to someone he singled out on the 07/08 tour and gave massive exposure to (good or bad). I love having a short respite before the =VH= chaos begins to mellow out and get high on life.

Time for you to visit Jamaica Dude
                          Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Mr Walker
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

Was Bob Marley really any good or was it just cool to jump on his stoner bandwagon? Aside from '3 Little Birds' once in a blue moon, I wouldn't care if I never heard another Bob Marley song for the rest of my life.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2005

I will say this:

This

Seriously though....Kool & The Gang was stretching it a bit. Rockers wanna see rock bands. I think it was cool that K & TG was opening, as I got to see a band I never saw before.

AND...they were highly professional, and turned out a great set......I can honestly say that even though I was bored with 90% of what they played.

Putting a Marley up there is going too far.

Seriously. I think he is going to have a tough crowd, and no matter who he is related to, he is going to have to be really really astonishing in order to get a positive response.

I think this is an error on the part of Dave, or whomever wanted him to open for them.

I am glad he got the gig, don't get me wrong, as it is going to be the highpoint of his career possibly, and definitely will expose him to large crowds and as a result may increase his fan base drastically over previous levels.....

But I was willing to give K & TG the ok, because they have produced some iconic, classic R & B in their time. They are not an unknown act to me.

If Ky-Mani Marley had a different name, I would not know who the hell he is. In fact, I had never heard of him before until I saw this thread. I recognize the name...means he is somehow related to Bob....who WAS brilliantly amazing....who can forget his performance of No Woman No Cry from the Rainbow Theater in London in 1975? But I digress.......

Here in Nashville....the arena was only half-full at best...HALFWAY THROUGH K & TG's SET!

I predict when Ky-Mani starts doing dates....the venues will not even be that full until the set change starts.....

He is unknown to the common populace for the most part....

Comment

Working...