Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: President Obama finally "evolves" in his views on marriage equality.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

President Obama finally "evolves" in his views on marriage equality.

President Obama Affirms His Support for Same Sex Marriage
    By Rick Klein | ABC News Blogs – 32 minutes ago

President Obama today announced that he now supports same-sex marriage, reversing his longstanding opposition amid growing pressure from the Democratic base and even his own vice president.

In an interview with ABC News’ Robin Roberts, the president described his thought process as an “evolution” that led him to this place, based on conversations with his own staff members, openly gay and lesbian service members, and conversations with his wife and own daughters.

"I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married,” Obama told Roberts, in an interview to appear on ABC’s “Good Morning America” Thursday. Excerpts of the interview will air tonight on ABC’s “World News with Diane Sawyer.”

The president stressed that this is a personal position, and that he still supports the concept of states deciding the issue on their own. But he said he’s confident that more Americans will grow comfortable with gays and lesbians getting married, citing his own daughters’ comfort with the concept.

“It’s interesting, some of this is also generational,” the president continued. “You know when I go to college campuses, sometimes I talk to college Republicans who think that I have terrible policies on the economy, on foreign policy, but are very clear that when it comes to same sex equality or, you know, sexual orientation that they believe in equality. They are much more comfortable with it. You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples. There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents and Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently. It doesn’t make sense to them and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.”

Roberts asked the president if First Lady Michelle Obama was involved in this decision. Obama said she was, and he talked specifically about his own faith in responding.

“This is something that, you know, we’ve talked about over the years and she, you know, she feels the same way, she feels the same way that I do. And that is that, in the end the values that I care most deeply about and she cares most deeply about is how we treat other people and, you know, I, you know, we are both practicing Christians and obviously this position may be considered to put us at odds with the views of others but, you know, when we think about our faith, the thing at root that we think about is, not only Christ sacrificing himself on our behalf, but it’s also the Golden Rule, you know, treat others the way you would want to be treated. And I think that’s what we try to impart to our kids and that’s what motivates me as president and I figure the most consistent I can be in being true to those precepts, the better I’ll be as a as a dad and a husband and hopefully the better I’ll be as president.”

Previously, Obama has moved in the direction of supporting same-sex marriage but has consistently stopped short of outright backing it.

Instead, he’s voiced support for civil unions for gay and lesbian couples that provide the rights and benefits enjoyed by married couples, though not defined as “marriage.” At the same time, the president has opposed efforts to ban gay marriage at the state level, saying that he did not favor attempts to strip rights away from gay and lesbian couples.

The president’s position became a flashpoint this week, when Vice President Joe Biden pronounced himself “absolutely comfortable” with allowing same-sex couples to wed.

Obama aides insisted there was no daylight between the positions held by the president and his vice president when it comes to legal rights, but as other prominent Democrats also weighed in in favor of gay marriage, the disconnect became difficult for the White House to explain away.

The announcement completes a turnabout for the president, who has opposed gay marriage throughout his career in national politics. In 1996, as a state Senate candidate, he indicated support for gay marriage in a questionnaire, but Obama aides later disavowed it and said it did not reflect the candidate’s position.

In 2004, as a candidate for the US Senate, he cited his own religion in framing his views: “I'm a Christian. I do believe that tradition and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman.”

He maintained that position through his 2008 presidential campaign, and through his term as president, until today.

As president in 2010, Obama told ABC’s Jake Tapper that his feelings about gay marriage were “constantly evolving. I struggle with this.” A year later, the president told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos, “I’m still working on it.”

“I probably won't make news right now, George,” Obama said in October 2011. “But I think that there's no doubt that as I see friends, families, children of gay couples who are thriving, you know, that has an impact on how I think about these issues.”

Obama’s decision has political connotations for the fall. The issue divides elements of the Democratic base, with liberals and gay-rights groups eager to see the president go farther, but with gay marriage far less popular among African-American voters.

Just yesterday, in North Carolina, voters overwhelmingly approved a constitutional ban on gay marriage. President Obama carried North Carolina in 2008, and its status as a 2012 battleground was guaranteed by Democrats’ decision to hold their convention in Charlotte this summer.

Obama’s likely Republican opponent, Mitt Romney, opposes gay marriage, and fought his state’s highest court when Massachusetts became the first state to legalize gay marriage in 2004, when Romney was governor. Romney said on the campaign trail Monday that he continues to oppose gay marriage.

“My view is that marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman,” Romney said. “That’s the position I’ve had for some time, and I don’t intend to make any adjustments at this point. … Or ever, by the way.”
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If this is true, Obama just sunk his ship...

Most black people don't like queers...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post

They also don't like religious cults who believe they were descended from angels who were too lazy to fight Satan.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    They also don't like religious cults who believe they were descended from angels who were too lazy to fight Satan.

Or the pontifications of pompous racist rednecks.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That may be true also...

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Government shouldn't be involved in marriage at all. The only reason people go through all the red tape anyways is for all the benefits & tax breaks. Otherwise the vows & ring would suffice. The legality of it all is for the governments benefit, not ours.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Government shouldn't be involved in marriage at all. The only reason people go through all the red tape anyways is for all the benefits & tax breaks. Otherwise the vows & ring would suffice. The legality of it all is for the governments benefit, not ours.
    Incorrect. The government should guarantee marriage equality for all. Let's note that the only other time NC has amended their constitution was in 1785 to ban interracial marriage - that was an EPIC FAIL (correctly) overruled by the government too. Stupid then, stupid now.

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Marriage was created to protect women before they could vote, earn money, in any field of employment as men.
    It is impossible for two men to be "in love" that spiritual place can only be reached by a woman.

Two women together is just sexual safety.

Same sex marriage can only be seen as the things mentioned above.

I find it very evolved of these people to describe evolution of mankind, as what takes place up your cram holes.

Darwinism...95% of the world is fucked up by 10% of the stupidest people.

Legislation to legitimitize cram hole prefferences.
    2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
    clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Arrow

I'd still like to see someone answer the challenge I've made multiple times- and NO ONE CAN - w/o going into some irrelevant religious diatribe, or a statement of your personal disgust for it, the already debunked "what about the children" rant, or some BS "it'll lead to beastiality" strawman argument - why the F should I CARE if gay people can marry? It doesn't effect me in the slightest, so why would I be against it? It's not like there's any "sanctity" in hetro marriage with 52% of them ending in failure. It's as stupid (and baseless) as arguments against interracial marriage - as in there IS no legitimate argument against it.

No one has the "right" to legislate bigotry - so NO, it shouldn't be up to clearly backwards-*ss states like North Carolina.

Foamy pretty much sums it up...sad when all the arguments against it can be destroyed by a cartoon squirrel...

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Incorrect. The government should guarantee marriage equality for all. Let's note that the only other time NC has amended their constitution was in 1785 to ban interracial marriage - that was an EPIC FAIL (correctly) overruled by the government too. Stupid then, stupid now.

My point is how many thousands of years have 2 people in love mated monogamously for life? The government has only been involved for what? the last few hundred years? Because they have us convinced it needs to be "legal". So we have power of attorney, shared bank accounts, tax returns, special rights, claims, etc... So we allow the government to legalize it & regulate it so we get these extra things & remain legal. Problem with that is now we have also given them the power to say what is NOT legal.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'd still like to see someone answer the challenge I've made multiple times- and NO ONE CAN - - why the F should I CARE if gay people can marry?

I can answer it.

You shouldn't care.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can answer it.

You shouldn't care.
    And I likely wouldn't (much) if it didn't directly impact some of my friends and co-workers, or more disturbingly remind me of all the idiotic arguments I used to hear (and kick people's teeth in for) over my choices in girlfriends. But not speaking out against bigotry and intolerance is to enable it.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This whole issue is so stupid. I could give a fuck if two or more consenting adults want to get married. Have at it... they should all be entitled to the happiness and misery that marriage brings.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I openly encourage gay guys to find each other, and be less competition for me when it comes to women. And I openly encourage bisexual women to share.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
    This whole issue is so stupid. I could give a fuck if two or more consenting adults want to get married. Have at it... they should all be entitled to the happiness and misery that marriage brings.
    That's it - bottom line, if someone has a problem with it, THEY are the ones that have the problem. Doesn't harm them in any way, no matter how much they imagine otherwise.

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I openly encourage gay guys to find each other
    Uh... ok?
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

If ya can't beat 'em...
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post

Or the pontifications of pompous racist rednecks.
    Or mayonnaise (it's true... just watch the documentary 'Undercover Brother')

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I openly encourage gay guys to find each other, and be less competition for me
    Homo says what ??

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Huh? haha!!!!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Shark View Post
    Uh... ok?
    Like I said.... the more gay guys there are, the less competition there is for women. Except for the Lesbians, of course. Which is why I also encouraged women to be bisexual and share.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJammin View Post
    Or mayonnaise (it's true... just watch the documentary 'Undercover Brother')
    I must be part Black then, because I never liked mayonaise.

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Like I said.... the more gay guys there are, the less competition there is for women. Except for the Lesbians, of course. Which is why I also encouraged women to be bisexual and share.
    I know what you were trying to say, it's just that your statement is so... sig-worthy.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Greetings from the apparently bigoted, backward state of North Carolina!! 21st fucking century and we had to vote on whether gays can get married...You wouldn't believe how bent out of shape people were over this. I voted against it - what do I care if a couple of dudes want to get married?

And it's true - black people do hate mayonnaise. And I should know 'cause I asked almost every black person I know after I watched Undercover Brother
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here's the typical bible belt reaction:

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just because certain people demand recognition of thier behavior doesn't mean that it is correct behavior.

If you all want to be brainwashed by politicians telling you what is correct behavior you are already lost in the game that has been played on you.

Coming out of the closet celebration and elation by "the victim" isn't a freedon it is finally giving into temptation.

Confused minds about what is deviant behavior as acceptable human rights.is the definition of humanizing a beast.

Gay is a word used to describe a sexual deviant behavior and soften the outcome of the deffintion by lableing it with a different word that the original description of the behavior.

Most of the world is blind to the facts, by the multiplyer effect of word descriptive social deviation.

I do care what people cram up thier cram holes and if they want to fist each other into masturbulatory nirvana so be it, but for some people to say that it is normal and should be celebrated with a civil union and all the rights granted to a married couple ..well you mother fuckers are nuts in the fucking head ..it is what it is deal with it, and if you all think NAMBLA is just a freek small cult you are blind to the facts.

When it all gets out of control.....sad, sad day for American and the world....and the world turns around again...
    Last edited by clarathecarrot; 05-09-2012 at 09:01 PM.

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My favorite NAMBLA trick is how they have gotten a whole portion of the world and some school books and college courses, to believe there used to be a whole country that specialized in butfukking each other and it was called Sparta and they were great warriors and thier society was based on ass fucking and it was normal right of men of that society......yeah right whattever you say.....

Yeah... that was what every man wanted, yeap that's it, that's what they did, yeap sure thing there...normal...stuff.

I heard some people actually believe this bullshit.

Gay cock is the new clown car, clowns still jump out of the car they are just gay clowns ..see you local listing....I would think Homosexual men would be pissed off at they way they are made fun of constantly, humiliated by.. TV, Media, Talk Shows and Politicians looking to garner self affectation.

Fight The Power.
    Last edited by clarathecarrot; 05-09-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Dr. Lulz
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    President Obama Affirms His Support for Same Sex Marriage
    By Rick Klein | ABC News Blogs – 32 minutes ago

President Obama today announced that he now supports same-sex marriage, reversing his longstanding opposition amid an ongoing election cycle
    FTFY

It should never have been a question to begin with. Equal rights and protection for all citizens under the law... including the right to enter into legally binding agreements recognized by the State.
    I've got the cure you're thinkin' of.

http://i.imgur.com/jBw4fCu.gif

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Love View Post
    FTFY

It should never have been a question to begin with. Equal rights and protection for all citizens under the law... including the right to enter into legally binding agreements recognized by the State.
    Once something is written into law as a human/ citizens right, it is then easily written into law that that is at once now illegal and subject to prosecution by the state.

That is the scam they are trying to debate on the 2nd Ammendment, it is already a right, but they are trying to vote it as a right.. then they have overwritten Federal law at the State level and they they can repeal it and confiscate all weapons.

I think people cannot see what is really going on here and at all levels of government.

All (many) of these politicians are egoistically thinking they are granted by some higher calling and that historically they must be remembered as with the same grace, as the framers of the constitution. They are sick.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by clarathecarrot View Post
    Just because certain people demand recognition of thier behavior doesn't mean that it is correct behavior.
    Rick Santorum, is that you?

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    FTFY

Game. Set. Match.
    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Rick Santorum, is that you?
    I he still in the race ...I have no idea of this persons stance on the issues or even what he looks like..?

If you are slamming my sentence..? I don't get it because I wouldn't waste my vote on the Presidential level.

You as a person are not involved in foriegn policy or the issues dealt with on that level, no one in this country is...you would be better involved patriot that I am sure you are, voting assholes off your local city council that are raping this country daily, from inside quietly without your knowledge or civic input.

But confusing us is the nature of thier game.
    Last edited by clarathecarrot; 05-09-2012 at 10:36 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Looks like the campaign market research department figures supporting gay marriage may help Obama on votes more than it will hurt. I'm sure the Obama campaign has a market research department as big as a pretty major corporation. A lot of people who work in statistical market research often find jobs working for someone's campaign. You look at the product and then try and match that to the market and then fine tweak the product to meet the end goal of either selling as many units as possible or getting long-term market share. Whatever the over all end goal is you custom match everything to get there. It's a very dynamic and complicated process and even with all the scientific tools, the failure rate is high. There are just too many variables to control and too many places your market research can go wrong.

There is a legal problem with gay marriage. A marriage license is permission from the state to engage in sexual commerce. I am not kidding here. Basically the government views your children as state property and they are given a social security number and ten bonds of $2.5 billion each are issued by the Federal Reserve for each baby born. In fact the bank code is on your Social Security card and tells you what Federal Reserve Branch your bonds are held. Unfortunately it is not your money but held in trust supposedly for your benefit. Basically the money is put into the monetary system to match the population so there is enough to build infrastructure. That was the original plan anyways. The traditional marriage definition is based around offspring. You don't produce any in a gay marriage so by legal definition it's not a marriage but it can be a legal binding relationship but different laws would have to be written. This whole system is based on marriage of a man and woman which is sexual commerce. It also deals with estates and inheritance. It gets real complicated quick and under traditional legal terms, gay marriage just doesn't fit the definition.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 05-09-2012 at 10:48 PM.

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SunisinuS View Post
    Game. Set. Match.
    So, who are these, "other people" the ones who wouldn't be already... protected..?

Are they the ones who seperate themselves from society, and ask that they be recognized as more special by demanding legal equality..?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    FTFY

That would be the logical interpretation of the 14th Amendment, as it was when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of "interracial" marriage in 1967. Instead, the current bunch of BCE appointed fools thinks it applies to making corporations equal to human beings.

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Looks like the campaign market research department figures supporting gay marriage may help Obama on votes more than it will hurt. I'm sure the Obama campaign has a market research department as big as a pretty major corporation. A lot of people who work in statistical market research often find jobs working for someone's campaign. You look at the product and then try and match that to the market and then fine tweak the product to meet the end goal of either selling as many units as possible or getting long-term market share. Whatever the over all end goal is you custom match everything to get there. It's a very dynamic and complicated process and even with all the scientific tools, the failure rate is high. There are just too many variables to control and too many places your market research can go wrong.
    That is why they elevate base issues to the media front..it doesn't matter what Obama thinks, it matters that people are thinking about him when they toss that coin in the voting booth anyone who spends more time than a flick of the nickle, is already on someones campain, for election..there is no such thing as a edjucated vote for president. Ecept in the mind of these narrow minded twits.

The job of the president is unrelateable to everyday society...but TV makes people think they matter in the selection.

People want hope for a future, not gay marriage, not peace in Isreal, a steady rising economy, and hope realizied as a daily given, ...the rest is retoric blown way out of porportion by activists and people who make money by talking about non-issues made somehow important, confusing people , who think they are forward thinkers .
    Last edited by clarathecarrot; 05-09-2012 at 10:50 PM.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I he still in the race ...I have no idea of this persons stance on the issues or even what he looks like..?

If you are slamming my sentence..? I don't get it because I wouldn't waste my vote on the Presidential level.

You as a person are not involved in foriegn policy or the issues dealt with on that level, no one in this country is...you would be better involved patriot that I am sure you are, voting assholes off your local city council that are raping this country daily, from inside quietly without your knowledge or civic input.

But confusing us is the nature of thier game.
    My word, what language are you even speaking? The sentence I slammed is just one of a few from that post that closely resembles the narrow minded stance of a recently jettisoned homophobic republican nominee. Who exactly are you to deem what is to be considered normal or deviant behavior? Surely you have some gay relatives, gay friends or gay co-workers in your life. How exactly do you present your argument to them that they don't deserve the same liberties and rights you have? I'm curious.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That is why they elevate base issues to the media front..it doesn't matter what Obama thinks, it matters that people are thinking about him when they toss that coin in the voting booth anyone who spends more time than a flick of the nickle, is already on someones campain, for election..there is no such thing as a edjucated vote for president. Ecept in the mind of these narrow minded twits.

The job of the president is unrelateable to everyday society...but TV makes people think they matter in the selection.

People want hope for a future, not gay marriage, not peace in Isreal, a steady rising economy, and hope realizied as a daily given, ...the rest is retoric blown way out of porportion by activists and people who make money by talking about non-issues made somehow important, confusing people , who think they are forward thinkers .
    It's about getting elected or re-elected period. Once they are in they do what they pretty much want.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    My word, what language are you even speaking? The sentence I slammed is just one of a few from that post that closely resembles the narrow minded stance of a recently jettisoned homophobic republican nominee. Who exactly are you to deem what is to be considered normal or deviant behavior? Surely you have some gay relatives, gay friends or gay co-workers in your life. How exactly do you present your argument to them that they don't deserve the same liberties and rights you have? I'm curious.
    He's a guy who uses a female name and a phallic shaped vegetable, if that's any clue

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That would be the logical interpretation of the 14th Amendment, as it was when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of "interracial" marriage in 1967. Instead, the current bunch of BCE appointed fools thinks it applies to making corporations equal to human beings.
    I heard they voted 800 thousand new laws into existence in 2011. Across this country.

Bloated and stupid and all looking for historical importance..does anyone think that that is a prerequisite to legislate justice or protect human rights.

I can't wait until Obama care or whattever the buzzword is, goes into effect and we add 400thousand new government employees to the backs of the working class.

Then what will the number be 61% of the employed are salaried by the 39% who actually produce a product due to labor and those peoples taxes pay for the 65%..?

That is what destroyed Rome...for all these fact hunters here.

That balance cannot support reality....secret society bent on destroying america aren't the BCE.

Thread Information