View Poll Results: Which comes first, classic Van Halen or David Lee Roth?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a classic Van Halen fan first, David Lee Roth fan second

23 58.97%
  • I'm a David Lee Roth fan first, classic Van Halen fan second

16 41.03%

Thread: How would you describe yourself as a fan?

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Question How would you describe yourself as a fan?

I'm not sure if this is really "Main" material but I didn't know where else to put it. I don't recall seeing a thread like this so at the risk of a repeat, I'm interested to know how you view your fanaticism. Are you a classic Van Halen fan first, David Lee Roth fan second? Or are you a David Lee Roth fan first, classic Van Halen fan second?

To draw an analogy, what's the "hub" on your wheel? Is CVH the hub with DLR being your favorite spoke? Or is DLR the hub with CVH being one of the spokes (I'd guess in most cases your favorite spoke).

Also "DLR fan first" doesn't imply that you prefer DLR's solo music over CVH music, it just means you care about him personally more than CVH.

For me, it's all about classic Van Halen and this current incarnation with Wolf. A big reason for that is that I grew up with neither, so everything for me was retrospective. Remember I didn't become a serious CVH fan until 2000, when I was 19. I only "studied up" on DLR as a result of coming to this website and prior to 2000 didn't know he had any kind of solo career other than the "Just a Gigolo" video. DLR is clearly the brains of the operation, the ultimate showman, and musically gets more out of Eddie than anyone in the world. But I'm a CVH-centric guy. I appreciate that Dave is intelligent, well-rounded and has many other interests besides hard rock, but all I really care about is his hard rock side. And since his best hard rock music is with Van Halen, that's the side of the coin that I'm on.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Up and until some time in the early 1990s, I would have said "CVH rules, all else are fools." That is, until I had the absolute honor and pleasure of meeting David Lee Roth in the flesh one hungover morning on a trip to the Florida Keys with two buddies. (I've related this story in the past, so there isn't much need to embellish upon it.) The thing is, for years I'd kind of admired the guy via shows, albums and the odd poster on a bedroom wall. People tend to form an opinion of those they have never met, more often than not making certain assumptions about rock stars and the imagined, if not outright declared ideals that sort of lifestyle entails.

Well, all of that horseshit faded away within minutes of speaking with the guy. I mean for one thing, here you have three smelly, barely functioning nitwits drinking beer and stowing gear around seven o'clock in the morning, yet the man approaches us and what does he end up talking about? NOT about touring, hedonism or the endless excesses of a life lived on the road, but the catching, preparation and cooking of fish. That's right, fucking fish. Hell, he even bummed one of my goddamned Marlboros, just like any other working stiff would.

I dunno how you might react to that, but for me, it was a game changer. From that moment on, I held David Lee Roth a standard setter for all behavior, rock star or otherwise. The fact that a celebrity could take the time out of his day to hang out, shoot the shit and carry himself with a relieved sense of dignity, let alone treat me and my friends as equals on a path mutually shared impressed the living daylights out of me, and continues to do so to this very day.

Hey, your mileage and experiences may vary, but personally, I don't give a flying fuck what you happen to think. The fact that the fellow is once again fronting the band he was destined to is merely icing on the cake, at least in my mind. Dave or the grave, you bastards.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 05-10-2012 at 01:41 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Well, all of that horseshit faded away within minutes of speaking with the guy. I mean for one thing, here you have three smelly, barely functioning nitwits drinking beer and stowing gear around seven o'clock in the morning, yet the man approaches us and what does he end up talking about? NOT about touring, hedonism or the endless excesses of a life lived on the road, but the catching, preparation and cooking of fish. That's right, fucking fish. Hell, he even bummed one of my goddamned Marlboros, just like any other working stiff would.

Great story --- if that was Spammy the Scumbag --- he would've asked you guys to clean the toilets on his yacht and then paid you with an expired bottle of Cabo Wabo tequila instead of cash --- the whole time telling you guys how cool he is.

Dave rules this world --- rest of us just live in it.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    DLR is the hub of my wheel....but you already knew that.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's an easy one - it's always been Dave first for me. I swear, I think I'm the only person in the Army that wasn't completely bummed out when DLR left Van Halen. I wasn't happy about it, but I knew he'd keep touring and cranking out records and that was cool with me. So my loyalty was to Dave and Classic Van Halen, then DLR solo, then back to Dave with VH. And I hope the boys keep cranking out records and touring, as is. But...IF this was to turn out to be the last tour, I guess I'd be one of the only people waiting in line to get my ticket for the next DLR solo tour. And if it turned out, God forbid, that VH decided to go it without Dave...well, I wouldn't be hanging around half the night waiting to read a couple of tweets and seeing what the setlist was...
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was a CVH fan first since they came first and then I really liked the DLR solo albums, as simple as that.
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Sheep Pen Barn Boss
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The BIGGEST
    Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Classic Van Halen first, David Lee Roth second, and could care less about any incarnation of the group past those two

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I first heard and saw Van Halen for the first time during schoolyear 78-79, I was between 8 and 9 years old and couldn't believe my eyes and ears.
    My attention was focused on Dave and Eddie. Dave's voice, screams, his amazing self-assurance, his attitude, and Eddie's playing of course, his guitar
    sound and his miraculously clear melodies despite so numerous notes, and of course his disarming smile despite the complexity of his guitar playing.

I think I got hooked by the Dave/Ed "phoenix", and I keep on seeing both of them as a dual identity.
    It seems they both have come back to that state of things, at last. But it took Ed a lot more time to realize...
    Last edited by Jérôme Frenchise; 05-10-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Classic Van Halen first... I was 20 when their 1st record came out so that's the foundation I started with.

Primarily it was Eddie's guitar work that drew me in... then it was the band's antics and over the top debauchery that sealed it. Always enjoyed Dave's intellectual sarcastic perspective on things... he's sort of a combo of George Carlin, Groucho Marx, Robin Williams and Frank Zappa with a California beach bum attitude thrown in.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Obviously it would defnitely be the music on the 'radio' or on albums/tapes which piqued my ears to CVH back then. However, that also for me meant David Lee Roth at the center of that even though he was 'just the singer'. I remember in high school friends/me having those classic Tiger Beat type magazine posters on our lockers..it was just David Lee Roth. We were not buying that mag or poster because Al Mike or Ed was on it in the background. It was all about Dave. It was the whole group-but Dave was our star. I also lived in the age of MTV starting out so I used to love watching videos (read him) as well. DLR always made me laugh with the stuff that comes out of his mouth.

I was dying to see VH in high school, but that also mostly meant DLR even though I obviously loved the whole CVH. That being said, once DLR left VH..that was it for me. I never gave a second thought or pretty much listen to any reincarnation of VH without Dave. It simply was not VH for me. Due to logistics I also never got to see DLR perform alone. I probably would have liked to have seen him, but I can tell you for sure I love him in VH much more. I probably would prefer to see him in the CVH fit as it is today. To me they just belong together.

The story does not surprise me about him being a fairly regular guy outside of performing, though he may have some moments as well...

I love that kind of fishing story because it allows you to see more of the picture and processes of how he gets inspired, his humor, his interests, or thoughts, or what quirks he has that goes into him being an that artist. I don't think he would be as successful as he is if he ever lost touch with the real world. There is no need to put celebrities on a pedestal. But I definitely would love to meet or hang or have a non fan type encounter with DLR!
    Last edited by Zempi; 05-10-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zempi View Post
    I love that kind of fishing story because it allows you to see more of the picture and processes of how he gets inspired, his humor, his interests, or thoughts, or what quirks he has that goes into him being an that artist. I don't think he would be as successful as he is if he ever lost touch with the real world. There is no need to put celebrities on a pedestal. But I definitely would love to meet or hang or have a non fan type encounter with DLR!

People who really "get" Dave --- which hopefully is most of us in here --- knows what his life is about and the unique way he sees things.

When Dave became an EMT and worked the grittiest neighborhoods in NYC --- we knew that was Dave embarking on another adventure --- showing his altruistic side by giving back to the community. Total humility and total class.

To the cumstains who don't get Dave ---- they said he was desperate and broke. They called him a washed-up loser.

Let the cumstains be ignorant ---- true geniuses are rarely appreciated.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    all Dave all night...like the guitar player though...
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    To the cumstains who don't get Dave ---- they said he was desperate and broke. They called him a washed-up loser.

Let the cumstains be ignorant ---- true geniuses are rarely appreciated.
    That attitude right there, that some people have, that Dave was washed-up...especially when he was touring solo and playing smaller gigs. I never got it. I fucking loved the solo shows! For me, hearing the beginning of Hot For Teacher and seeing Dave walk out on the stage was almost as exciting as seeing him walk out on stage in '07 with Ed, Al and Wolf. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that he's in VH now, where he should be. But as long as I get to go see Dave perform - even if it's with a different band playing behind him - then I'm happy.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's Awesome! He's Diamond David Lee Roth on the stage and Dave off. Gotta respect that, you were lucky to meet him like that!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I see DLR as the spark which made the ingredients in CVH cook, so the either/or doesn't work for me.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's a really cool story chef. Hey, didn't somebody else here, or maybe over at DDLR, run into Dave in an airport back in '03 or '04? Seems like it was the day after a show and they wound up being on the same plane with Dave...I think Dave was in first class but I think they got to talk to him...

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thats an easy one..CVH..If alone on a desert island with choice of one CD, it would not be solo DLR..it would be Van fuckin Halen..

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I forgot about Van Halen when Dave left. Heard a couple of the Spammy songs and just about blew chunks!. I admire the hell out of Eddie for his awesome skill and talent but I didn't like the direction "Van Hagar" was going in. (Don't even get me started on Eddie's "soulmate" Cherone) I always stayed with Dave and always will, no matter what band he's with. I just hope to hell it's always going to be Van Halen!
    If you want to want to have a greater appreciation of the man, then read his book. He's one of a kind.
    I'm in the Roth Army!!!
    "Why behave in public if you're livin' on a playground?"

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Am with that ... Am only on one forum and it's the army ... The names above the door.
    fuck your fucking framing

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't understand the question. We're only discussing Classic Van Halen in the phrasing of the question, so it's like comparing strawberries and strawberry shortcake. Without the strawberries you just have cake without frosting, and it's no longer strawberry shortcake. You can't separate Dave from Classic VH, just as you can't separate Classic VH from Dave. It's a moot point.
    I brought my pencil!!!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And most of us said you can't separate Dave and vice versa....but it is obvious who our favorite is...

Quote Originally Posted by ThatArtGuy View Post
    I don't understand the question. We're only discussing Classic Van Halen in the phrasing of the question, so it's like comparing strawberries and strawberry shortcake. Without the strawberries you just have cake without frosting, and it's no longer strawberry shortcake. You can't separate Dave from Classic VH, just as you can't separate Classic VH from Dave. It's a moot point.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    78-82 the end.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Am with that ... Am only on one forum and it's the army ... The names above the door.
    me too...was over at DDLR when the Army was down...but there is no place like home...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It was CVH from the beginning and to this day, with all due respect to the Toastmaster General..... But it's a collective effort, it simply cannot truly be Van Halen if Dave isn't there....

It was only after Bette made the name Van Halen into a fucking party joke that I gained even more respect for David Lee Roth....

And the icing on the cake came the day after Christmas, when DLR told his rep to come directly to US, the fans that have been there from the fucking beginning, to kick off the festivities for the upcoming album and tour....

I can't tell you still to this day how appreciative I am to Dave for that gesture. When we spoke to the DDE rep in Greensboro, that was the one thing that I really made sure I told her, although it was hard to express in words how appreciative we all were for the things they had done for us. And I know I speak for all of the oldtimers on that one.

These last two tours have proven that, as the saying goes, THERE IS NO VAN HALEN WITHOUT DAVID LEE ROTH.....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Went from CVH fan to DLR fan...

For reasons already stated above and reading "Crazy From The Heat", although I've yet to meet the man in person.
    Last edited by Coyote; 05-11-2012 at 09:19 AM.
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    But...IF this was to turn out to be the last tour, I guess I'd be one of the only people waiting in line to get my ticket for the next DLR solo tour.
    I'd be in line right there with you. I will admit that given the apparent inactivity in the Vh camp after the 2007/08 tour, part of me was just hoping they'd just be done with it for good so that we'd at least get another DLR album and tour before he started collecting social security.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Lifelong. I remember the first time I heard them. The time, the place and the song. 2am, high as a kite in my girlfriend's dorm room, Cortland NY, 1983. The song, Cathedral into Secrets). Had to back track from there. What a journey. Life changing. And being a guitarist, my devotion to the instrument was forever altered. Know every song backwards, and couldn't pick a favorite if I had too. Is there even a bad song? Bought every record, in all forms, seen every picture, read every interview, and bought every magazine and or book. And like all of you, I've waited patiently for the only reunion that mattered. Long live the Mighty VH. You've been the soundtrack of my life!!
    Last edited by guitarplayer29; 05-11-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Always been a fan of Dave, and Classic Van Halen. When they separated my allegiance stayed with Dave. Now that they're back together, all is right in the world.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Always been a fan of CVH, but I can't choose one over the other, as without CVH, it is possible we would never have had all the killer stuff Dave produced over the years......

So CVH always (and did) comes first in my book.

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave is CVH.

Belly Searcher
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow. When I think about it, I actually thought way back when when a new CVH album was coming out, "Van Halen has a new album coming out. I can't wait to read Dave's interviews! " Uh, what does that say about me?

Van Halen fan for life!
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In answer to the question...I'm a life-long fan which means my brother turned my on to RWTD when I used to go SKATING! It totally blew my mind. I've been a true fan even through the non-Dave years. But I knew one day, they had to get back together. And all of our dreams came true in 2007. Never "rocked" with Sammy though. He changed the band completely. Dave is THE ULTIMATE frontman! Even though I didn't like the VHIII album, that tour was pretty good under the circumstances. At least, Gary Cherone had the BALLS to give something to the fans by singing the older, Dave-era shit.

I'm so very thankful that things are right in the VH universe now. I'm a fan now, was back in the day, and will always be a fan of Van Halen and DLR. Them+him=magic! 'Nuff said...

Comic Strip Aficionado
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sammy says......

Last edited by VimFuego; 05-15-2012 at 08:42 PM.
    I could play "Stairway To Heaven" when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was 22. I think that says quite a lot.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    CVH is what drew me in, and why I started playing guitar...it was later on I got into the personalities and realized how cool Dave really was, especially after the split, when Van Halen became a sappy shell of their former greatness without him. I've also related my drunken Rainbow Bar & Grill Dave meeting, super nice, funny guy. And I'd also echo VA's sentiments about how cool he is for reaching out to the RA, and everything they've done for us...the DDE rep is as awesome as you'd expect someone working for Dave to be. He's a fuckin' class act.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I've enjoyed a lot of what Roth did post-1985, but when I was listening to Van Halen back when the classic lineup was together, my focal point was a bit more tilted to Eddie than Dave. It wasn't so much a case of dismissing Roth as a frontman back then, but rather just beginning to play guitar back then and being utterly floored with what Eddie was doing to the point where that slightly overshadowed what Roth brought to the fold from my perspective.

Sad to say, it took the band splitting up for me to fully appreciate what Dave brought to the table. The proof was in the first releases Van Halen and Roth put out after the split. EEAS was just a better rock album, far as I was concerned. Not to say it was flawless, but it was far closer to representing the sound, fury and spirit of Van Halen than 5150 was to my ears. It was confusing to me, since it didn't seem to follow that 3/4th's of Van Halen...the instrumental 3/4th's of the band...would be able to sound less like CVH than Roth and a bunch of different musicians would. However, that did prove to be the case.

Certainly after Roth left I was far more interested in what Dave was doing as a solo act than what Van Halen were up to. I think up to and including the DLR Band release, on the whole Roth's solo output was very solid and made for some great, big rock albums. The period between the 1998 DLR Band release and Roth rejoining the group in 2007 weren't really particularly compelling years far as Roth's recorded output went for me. I dug the No Holds Bar B Que, but the Diamond Dave cd...I want to be kind, here...it kinda stunk. Just fell far short of the general mark of excellence I tended to associate Roth with. The Van Strumming stuff was a mild embarrassment to my ears.

However, even the dreariest of Roth's solo nadir didn't sink as low to me as the dreadful banalities that accompanied each Van Halen release post-Roth. Just average, lumbering commercial hard rock with an above-average guitarist writing mundane, uninspired stuff ( there were a few exceptions here and there, strictly on an instrumental level, where one could hear Eddie actually applying himself during the post-Dave years). Once Dave left, Van Halen for the most part just plain stopped trying. THAT to me was a much bigger transgression than Dave making the odd stylistic left turn here and there that didn't particualrly entice me: with Roth, the effort was always there and easy to hear...and that effort, more often than not, paid off.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Swedish Love Pump ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave first, of course...

Thread Information