Slash appreciation thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slash appreciation thread.

OK, before now I had a little trouble with this. Out of all the people who ever played Marshall amps Slash was the first guy they ever endorsed? I didn't understand it at the time. Let's call tonight another brick in the wall of understanding. Seeing him play the awesome Guns songs, coupled with his solo stuff and Velvet Revolver he REALLY kicked my behind. And kicked it HARD. Dude was GREAT and so was Miles Kennedy. Video is from my camera.

"Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

When you're sillouette is recognizeable, you know you're an icon.

I like Slash's playing for a lot of reasons: 1) he had the confidence not to be an Eddie clone in the 80s and do his own thing; 2) he knows when not to play, and that less is sometimes more 3) he is from the Angus Young belt 'em out school of guitar playing and 4) he'w written some epic riffs, when he often doesn't get credit for.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

I just went for one and it was quite satisfying.

Comment

saul has to be in the 'great guitarists' category.

the end.

Comment

Sorry guys I just don't see the greatness... not saying he's a hack by any means... he's a very good hard rock guitar player.

The best way to describe it is he's the cream of the crop at playing generic hard rock... but there's no definitive style, signature sound/tone or anything really remarkable that makes him stand out... beyond the hat. My take he's like the guys who are excellent guitar players in thousands of rock cover bands... can hit the right notes, bends, quick runs, etc... but never produce anything remotely original.

I think he just showed up in the wrong decade... had he been around in the 70's he would of ranked at the top in hard rock. He just showed up 18 years too late...
          "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

I know what you mean about traditional stlye - i.e. blues rock - but I think it's unfair to say there's no unique style or tone. You KNOW that sound in 2 bars, the tone is so distinctive. As for style, 'Sweet Child O'Mine' - THAT riff? It's putting a spin on the tradition, you know.

I think it's easy to get carried away with the term 'Great'. No-one would list Slash as the greatest/most influential player - and he's clearly embaraased when people do - but he's quite an axeman, and the energy he brings is unreal.

To me, however, what marks him out is emotion - the lead work on 'Estranged' cuts right through me.

Comment

for my own sanity i try to divide these things up in to guitarist or song writer ... slash plays blues rock and and no offence his stuff has been all heard before .. am not saying thats bad he just isnt an innovator . Were he does come up smelling of roses ( pun intended) is his songs and riffs he has written some great tunes ... to joe shmo who heard of slash cos of guitar hero he is great, to most of us who play or a listen to more than your average ammount of music have a better understanding of where he sits ....... And this is from experience of many a slash is the greatest guitarist ever argument from people who only own g&r greatest hits......... and dont get me started on the famous vai vs angus young blood bath we had a couple of years ago in the pub were i managed to argue both sides and still lose.
              Last edited by vandeleur; 05-11-2012, 12:14 PM.
              fuck your fucking framing

Comment

All SLASH needed was a singer who was better than average now he has Miles Kennedy, I think they sound great together. Looking forward to listen to their music in the future.
                Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

Originally posted by So this is love View Post
                  All SLASH needed was a singer who was better than average now he has Miles Kennedy, I think they sound great together. Looking forward to listen to their music in the future.
                  Playing here tomorrow..kennedy has a great voice slash great guitarist .

Wish I was going but just can't.

Largest one day rock music, event in america..15 bands 2 stages 5$ beer..good times.
                  2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
                  clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

The album is out May 21st (welll, the Classic Rock 'Fan Pack' edition with the magazine/extra goodies is). I'm hoping it's decent because Miles has a hell of a set of pipes - I just wonder if Slash actually needs a bit of antagonism to produce his best stuff......

Comment

Slash Appreciation thread? You're just joking, right?
                      Originally posted by Tiki-Tom You're one classy tattooed bombshell in my book.
                      Originally posted by rustoffa
                      Three words. WE WERE THERE.

Comment

As long as Slash continues to play with Miles kennedy Velvet Revolver will remain officially dead. He's not going to Join VR and it doesnt seem like Slash is too concerned with finding a replacement singer for the band.

Comment

Originally posted by binnie View Post
                          The album is out May 21st (welll, the Classic Rock 'Fan Pack' edition with the magazine/extra goodies is). I'm hoping it's decent because Miles has a hell of a set of pipes - I just wonder if Slash actually needs a bit of antagonism to produce his best stuff......
                          You`re a lie rocks...

Comment

Originally posted by fourthcoming View Post
                            As long as Slash continues to play with Miles kennedy Velvet Revolver will remain officially dead. He's not going to Join VR and it doesnt seem like Slash is too concerned with finding a replacement singer for the band.
                            If I were Slash I would stick with Miles Kennedy and forget about VR.

Comment

If I were Slash I would stick with Miles Kennedy and forget about VR.
                              I think he already has.

Comment

Working...
                              X