Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mushroom
    Commando
    • Jul 2009

Come on Slash, give us some fucking Rock and Roll riffs and solos! I grew up on classic G&R. If I want to hear this shit, I’ll play some Zepp, Cream, and Allman Bros Band.

Isn’t there a video of Slash and John Mayer jamming the blues, and John Mayer mops the floor with Slash’s hair?!

Comment

• Mushroom
      Commando
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Kristy
      Yay! Nothing but cover songs. Slash is a joke.
      Actually, the joke is on you!

Slash has made a career and a name for himself.

Comment

• Terry
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
        Is Slash a great guitarist? No. He understood the game. He came up with a cool look that made him stand out and he was in a band that could create some songs people liked. He’s been quite adept at marketing his image.
        I wouldn't deny the enduring quality of Slash's commercial success...it'd be retarded to even try.
        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom

Yeah, but that Killing Floor version is shit.

Mick Jagger and David Bowie made careers and names for themselves. Didn't make their cover of Dancing In The Streets any less lame. Nobody bats 1000.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Ah Slash is using different amps and they don’t sound as good as the Marshall’s but what the hell, he’s made his mark already but anyone who thinks he’s in the top ten of guitar players is a dumb ass. He’s going through an experimental phase because he can.
            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mushroom

He is the most boring guitar player ever. Well....maybe next to his guy:

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

He looked cool with the top hat and low slung Les Paul and got with some guys who managed to get one album full of songs people liked out at a time people were getting sick of the spandex show. Also having a few videos on MTV didn’t hurt. The band popped its load pretty quick but Slash rode the image the longest.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

The Rose Gun blasted hard and Slash was the sperm that wouldn’t die.

Comment

• Mushroom
                    Commando
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Kristy
                    He is the most boring guitar player ever. Well....maybe next to his guy:
                    I’m not sure who that is

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

He looked cool with the top hat and low slung Les Paul and got with some guys who managed to get one album full of songs people liked out at a time people were getting sick of the spandex show. Also having a few videos on MTV didn’t hurt. The band popped its load pretty quick but Slash rode the image the longest.
                      Can't disagree with most of that.

Guns had one truly awesome album. Still holds up.

Always thought the top hat looked a bit dumb, but at least it wasn't yet another dude with hair extensions wearing spandex and playing a Charvel. Slash's look did prove to be iconic.

Guns worked best for me with that Appetite lineup. Visually, doubtless Rose and Slash were the standouts. Far as the record, I dug what everybody was doing. Even Adler's drumming. Slash had some good, straight-up lead guitar stuff on the album but Izzy had plenty of good stuff on there as well.

Proof of it was once that Appetite lineup or formula or whatever started to get altered, it was never quite as good. Really, it was never quite as good once the band tasted the massive success of Appetite. It was amusing at the time to see and hear the band go over the top via the bloated Use Your Illusions records...it was a very "rock and roll, man!" thing for them to do, but I could barely get through listening to those records at the time and wouldn't even bother trying today. Too many filler tracks between the two records, and even the best of both Illusions albums isn't quite as good as Appetite. Not quite the Boston/Tom Scholtz syndrome where that band or that guy (didn't Scholtz basically play virtually all the instruments on the first album?) only had one really great album in him, but Guns were reminiscent of Boston in that the first album is clearly and by far their best.

The vast bulk of what Slash has done after Illusions - even including Velvet Revolver - is utterly disposable to my ears in that none of what I have heard of that stuff ever made me want to hear it twice.
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Mushroom
                        Commando
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Terry
                        Yeah, but that Killing Floor version is shit.

Mick Jagger and David Bowie made careers and names for themselves. Didn't make their cover of Dancing In The Streets any less lame. Nobody bats 1000.
                        Slash wasted time and energy trying to recreate something that didn’t need to be done.

I was 14 when Jagger and Bowie did Dancing In the Streets. I already knew VH made the definitive version. I was too immature to really know what gay or queer was. Today, the Jagger and Bowie collaboration is about cringey gay as it comes.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Guns hit hard because they were different. I never got why everyone thought Slash was something special but I think I know why he's liked. Like I said, I met him and he's likable. Slash is just there and has no attitude. Sometimes not selling sells. There's a cool factor to him people dig. Anyways he's doing something right, he lives in Holmby Hills which is the rich part of Beverly Hills. Slash is selling something. Property tax ain't cheap where he lives.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

It always amazed me you could have someone extremely talented and had the look and moves and everything and they go down in flames and you can have a mediocre talent and they do great and have a long career. Sammy Hagar being a good example of the latter.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Anyways he's doing something right, he lives in Holmby Hills which is the rich part of Beverly Hills. Slash is selling something. Property tax ain't cheap where he lives.
                              Property tax? What are you talking about he's sold over 100 million fucking albums.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Looking back for a band of 'crazy out of control people' it's kind of suspicious how many good decisions they made business wise. Also I knew a fair number of people who did drink a bottle of JD every day like Slash claimed to and I've done similar myself but none of them had a six pack like he did. More recently of course we were all begging someone to tell him to put a shirt on. When Use Your Illusion came out we were all thinking there is maybe one very good album in here not 2 double albums but of course it was business genius because they made 4 times as much money. There was no point in holding back that material for later releases because they were never going to last a long time before imploding.

Comment

Working...