Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: System rebuild....aw yeah.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's anywhere from $800 -1000, depending on where you get it... I like that it does a lot of the emulations inside the box itself, freeing up CPU space (not that I have to worry about that a lot with an i7, but still). It's got a lot of the same amps you'd get with PODfarm too... Marshall Plexis, Boogies, Soldanos...pretty cool.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs up Uh, oh yeah.

You kinda have to overlook the Cookie Monster Vocals on this, but their Mesa MkIIC+ emulation is not too shabby...

Here's a cool Mesa Road King mod...

Definitely seems to do brootals well...

And if you can get over this dude's yammering he demonstrates some cool clean and mild dirt tones with a Strat..

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    More amp models...oh yes, liking this.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Lovin' that SLO model...
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm likin' a LOT of the models I'm hearing...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I might have to find one of those at guitar center on a DAW and try it with one of my Strats...

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Gotta love technology.

For the price of a decent tube amp (or less), one can have every amp ever made and then some.

Good thing for all of us who can't afford to run out and blow some spare change on a 1967 Plexi or a JTM45 or something.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    Gotta love technology.

For the price of a decent tube amp (or less), one can have every amp ever made and then some.

Good thing for all of us who can't afford to run out and blow some spare change on a 1967 Plexi or a JTM45 or something.
    Pretty amazing, if you think about it... what's more impressive is the models actually SOUND decent...imagining they'd sound even better with Recabinet substituted for the Avid speaker emulations...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    It's anywhere from $800 -1000, depending on where you get it...
    that's a good deal. regular (not M-Powered) Pro Tools is what, $699? Sweetwater has the package for $899, with upgrade to PT 10 and the expansion pack.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    that's a good deal. regular (not M-Powered) Pro Tools is what, $699? Sweetwater has the package for $899, with upgrade to PT 10 and the expansion pack.
    Yep...I've seen it slightly cheaper than that, too...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs up "It's alive! IT'S ALIVE!!!"

Completion BUMPAGE.

So last week after doing a tap-dancing LE 8 re-install w/ a version that was for Vista, was THEN able to run the Win 7 update - which finally allowed me to get Pro Tools running AND permitted the crossgrade (nice, since I paid for the @%&#ing license once already) to PT 10 , which saved me like $600 (!!) as opposed to just buying it AGAIN. Did the install after work, took a dinner and drink break, and after working out a couple of I/O errors, (thought I'd fried my recording drive for a sec) I am fully functional again - and then some. Here's the track I did just to verify everything was working, but once I had everything configured correctly, it was: select one of the preset beats (first one, since I wasn't sure it was gonna save) and one of my stock PODfarm rhythm tones. Did a rhythm track and it SAVED. So pulled up another preset I use for leads and slammed a 1-take goof down. Surprisingly quick and easy workflow, almost no latency w/o fucking with it yet, low CPU usage recording stereo guitar tracks...holy crap.

http://soundcloud.com/jayhaleguitar/jameson-jam

Not bad for a 21 hour day and a few Jamesons...right? But confirms the install was successful, and IT WORKS.
    Last edited by jhale667; 10-13-2012 at 05:20 AM.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yaaaay!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Gotta love technology.

You can even buy those amps and still not have a magical sounding one. Also, almost all the vacuum tubes are made in Russia. A change in the geopolitical situation could render that supply gone overnight. Yeah tube amps are fun but then the maintenance sometimes becomes a pain. For me it's about sound. If a little black box gets the sound why not?

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yaaaay!

That's exactly what it felt like! Looks like I DO have to replace my drive though. But no biggie, it's getting older...
    Last edited by jhale667; 10-13-2012 at 05:47 PM.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Cool

Fortunately I have a couple of other storage drives, so in the meantime I've just created a new folder on one of them and am off to the races, will just copy whatever onto the new drive when I get it. Gotta love the new option to export and upload your tunes to Soundcloud from within Pro Tools now... handy!

http://soundcloud.com/jayhaleguitar/gone-riff

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    M'kay, turns out the recording drive had a USB out too (had totally forgotten), so after finding an adapter, I'm back in business. And I just stuck 8 more gigs of RAM in here - I thought this thing was fast before... :eek:

Update: Still getting 1117 errors on the recording drive, replacing it.
    Last edited by jhale667; 10-20-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was just given a PC by a friend.....he had 5 machines and an HP Laptop he wanted wiped, Windows reinstalled, etc. Some of them wouldn't boot up....he wants to sell them on Craigslist....
    Got them all fixed, am replacing the hard drive for the laptop.

And for all this, he told me to pick the machine I wanted and keep it. I got a Dell Vostro 200...Intel CoreDuo processor....will handle 4 gigs of Ram...I just happened to have 4 gigs of Geil Black Dragon gaming ram.....and it has a 250 gig hard drive.....am going to sell it and use the cash to buy a 1 TB external USB drive....
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 10-22-2012 at 04:00 AM.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cool! I'm debating between a 1 or 2 TB drive, will probably pick one up this weekend.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs up Upon further consideration, 1TB is probably PLENTY. So...

Probably going to break down and pop for & do this download this weekend, too...7000 sound files, and 8000 MIDI drum patterns for $99? It'll do for now...also, not sure if it was a feature in LE I didn't utilize or not, but the PT10 session templates set up multiple MIDI channels, so once I learn how to create a drum track, it's (in theory) drag and drop into the Pro Tools session...

Eventually need to get a non-crack version of Microsoft Office for this machine, too... no Excel at the moment, could read my track sheets with OpenOffice or some freeware shite, but may as well just get the real thing.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here's something cool ... @studiotracks hit me up on Twitter and shot me a link to their library of isolated tracks...pulled up some Bonzo drums, and using YouTube video downloader, was actually able to convert the drum track to "Fool in the Rain" to a .wav file that I could conceivably cut and paste into something (staying within copyright limitations, of course)....fun stuff...and they have tons of tunes from many genres.

Starts off with a bit of "When the Levee Breaks"...which you can't have a problem with...

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was told last night of an iPhone app called Jam-something or other that offers a shitload of songs in multi-track format.

For instance, my friend was downloading tracks by Rush for .99 cents each....shit like Geddy's bass line from Limelight....it has gone crazy....

AND....I saw a Seagate 2 TB USB external drive at Walmart today for 89 bucks!

Though I would research it first....Seagate is hit or miss on the quality of their drives....

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wait a minute...7000 files? Good lord!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Crazy, huh? And yeah, I've heard similar things about Seagate... I have Maxtor and Western Digital Drives...but doesn't Maxtor own Seagate?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Crazy, huh? And yeah, I've heard similar things about Seagate... I have Maxtor and Western Digital Drives...but doesn't Maxtor own Seagate?
    Yeah, Maxtor and Seagate are now the same company. And while it's true that Maxtor and WD used to be considered "good" and Seagate considered "crap", it's not that simple anymore. When I was in college, they bought Seagate hard drives in bulk and about half the case seemed to be bad.

On the other hand, the only hard drive I've ever had which suffered a complete mechanical breakdown which made data recovery impossible was a Western Digital.

I've used all three, but I've probably used Maxtors the most and the longest. Not exactly an endorsement.... but what I would endorse is backing up everything, and burning to disc the stuff you really want to keep forever. And solid state drives if you have extra money lying around, though I expect they should probably start coming down in price, as any technology does after a few years.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Still debating what to get drive-wise this weekend... probably a Maxtor again if I can find one, we'll see what Fry's has in stock. I'm still feeling like crap so took today off, but just installed EX Drummer, and can't wait to learn how to use it...the first "rock" kit I pulled up sounds HUGE through my monitors! Just going to put stuff down as MIDI tracks once I get it figured out, but it sounds great so far.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs up

OK, said fuck Maxtor or WD, and went with the Pro Tools-recommended OWC 1 TB USB 2.0 external drive, should be here in a few days. Hopefully no recording issues after that. Otherwise all is running well, including getting (finally) Recabinet 3 emulations on some of the older tracks IF I'm able to save them on the old drive, which is kinda hit-and-miss. But what I AM getting done is already sounding pretty cool...

http://soundcloud.com/jayhaleguitar/drunk-n-hugely
    Last edited by jhale667; 10-27-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The new external HD got here just in time for the old one to crap out (still runs, but isn't recognized anymore). New one works great. I think it's the external converter adapter shell connections and not the drive itself that's tanking, so gonna try the $40 OWC conversion kit. Best case scenario it fires up, worst case I'm out close to 3 years of work. We'll see.

I also have been dickering around with EZdrummer and BOOM (the drum sequencer that comes with PT 10) and have finally taught myself how to program drums in Pro Tools. Just think, now instead of "your stuff would sound cooler with drums" I'll hear "your stuff would sound cooler with REAL drums"...upgrade! Turns out if your DAW is set in grid mode, it's very similar to grab patterns or individual drum/cymbal hits, and then drag, drop, cut and paste like you would in Excel -which I work with every day at the office, so it was like "hey!" Here's a reeeally basic pattern I laid down as a test:

http://soundcloud.com/jayhaleguitar/i-can-haz-drums

That was EZdrummer, and it's similar in BOOM but you're straight up doing MIDI grids in Pro Tools once like EZdrummer you've got it pulled up as an insert on an Instrument track, dealing with learning that now. I'm also gonna install AcmeBarGig Head Case Lite on this machine, just to have a larger stash of amp emulations than PODfarm alone would provide. You can write (in the lite version 5 of) your own based on their presets, and then and logo'd or non-logo'd amp skins. PLUS they seem to have a few more of these emulations goin' on, how COULDN'T I?

"Nice skin, man!"

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Right on, man!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Right on, man!
    Thanks. Was able to combine the track I did Saturday in EZdrummer with one in BOOM.. works pretty cool!

http://soundcloud.com/jayhaleguitar/...drums-and-boom

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Don't go all Tommy Lee/Methods of Mayhem on us now...

I have been playing around with loops in Sony Acid. More of a techno thing so far, but it's pretty fun.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    Don't go all Tommy Lee/Methods of Mayhem on us now...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Cool More fun stuff...again.

Installing a few EZdrummer EZX expansions kits (more heavy sounds so as NOT to go all Methods of Mayhem with BOOM)... can't be a bad thing, right? Got the "Metalheads" kit, the "Classics" (still awaiting download), and the "Drum Kit from Hell" EZX packs...(pre-Black Friday Musician's Friend half-price dealio). The drum samples sound killer!

And "The Classics" pack has the "Glyn Johns (sp)" 4-mic set up too, for the whole classic Zep, Cream 60s-70s vibe...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "DKFH", "Metalheads", and "The Classsics" sounded so good I grabbed the "Twisted" kit as well...gotta love 2-for-1 sales.

Pretty stocked up.
    Last edited by jhale667; 11-24-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Arrow It. Never. Ends.

Seems I still need the "Vintage" EZX at minimum, due to the fact IT's the one with all the Ludwig kit samples (think Ringo poppy, or Bonham and Banali heavy). The OWC HD adapter will show up this week, hopefully that will solve the issue and I can start writing drum tracks for all the (pre-existing) tunes. Dragging and dropping the beats, once you've found them (another cool thing, all the new beats you get with each kit work with the other ones, so you can mix & match drum tones) is pretty easy. Hardest part so far seems to be figuring out, once you've got the basic beat down, how to throw in fills from the library that fit what you've already laid down. I guess eventually I'll figure out how to do them from scratch with MIDI but not quite there yet... did I mention I need a MIDI controller now?

One extremely cool job perk I also made use of this week is the Microsoft Home Usage Program...basically got shot a link through the office IT guy that allowed me to download Office 2010 for like $20 (including a backup disc they'll mail later). So now at least if I can't recover the tracks I know all the tempos and what guitars and tones I used on each of them since I can open my Excel track log again...

Already logged the info for the Bomber guitar and the two tunes I've started on working on the new drive, too... if your company offers the HUP do it, saved like $80...!

Last edited by jhale667; 11-25-2012 at 04:13 AM.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So, should I install Reaper to run amp emulation programs that aren't PT compatible? Hardrock, that's your primary DAW isn't it? It seems like a long way to go as far as "workarounds" go, but I DO like what I've heard of Headcase....

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Thumbs up Get FXpansion...totally worth it...!

Turns out I might not need Reaper after all (though the ability to rewire tracks from Reaper to PT could come in handy)...worked with Richard D at Ampskins designs last night to get Acme Bar Gig Headcase working in Pro Tools. It took til almost midnight PST (was early AM for him in Australia), but if you install FXpansion VST to RTAS adapter 2.1 it allows you to use literally hundreds of normally incompatible VST plug-ins in PT as if they were native... HeadCase being one of them.

Funny, we sat there working out the kinks and I suggested a screen-shot tutorial, which he did as we were working, and had it posted like an hour after we were done...very cool, helpful dude!

And unfortunately the OWC enclosure showed up, and did the same deal as the old...the HD is indeed gimpy. Couldn't back it up before the old system died and didn't realize I'd need to so quickly with new system - bottom line, 2 years of work down the drain. Only bright spot is everything can be re-recorded at 32-bit now and I have way more amp sound options to use, but it's still gonna be a huge, time-consuming PITA.

Thread Information