Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Dave explains Van Halen Tour Dates Postponement

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think people aren't focusing in on the age factor....

Now granted, they have masseuses to work out their aches and pains, but that doesn't alleviate the fact that they're kicking 60 years old...

Think about that a little closer....

I mean, I spent about 16 hours on Saturday flipping burgers and dogs for my son's baseball tournament, and I've had a heating pad on my lower back ever since....

And I'm "only" 47.....

Also, as I've said before, I think the press (especially press that didn't see the Roth-era Van Halen in that era) unfairly is expecting the Van Halen of 1984, with EVH running across the stage and diving to his knees, DLR doing the flying splits off the drum riser.....

I just think it's just a natural part of aging that you simply can't tour on the same pace as when you were 25 years old, regardless of first class accommodations.....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Just because they're not flying coach doesn't make it THAT much easier, dude. They're still shuttling between time zones, and you NEVER feel like you can relax for even a second. It's rough on a 20 or 30-something, brutal on someone in their 50s...trust me.

I think them taking a break is smart.
    I can agree it's rough but my experience probably wasn't anywhere near the luxury these guys have... it ain't like they have 5 guys on a bus who if we were lucky got a single motel room to shower and clean up... hunt down laundry mats in the local town and eat at truck stops/fast food joints.

Check the Roger Waters segment on 60 minutes last night... they asked him how hard it was for him to tour at his age in his 60's. He said it's the easiest job on earth... some one wakes you at half past noon, eat catered food, you are driven every where, fly on a chartered jet, watch tv and eat then taken to the venue and everything is set for you... walk on stage, perform, leave, wind down and in bed before midnight in a nice suite in a hotel.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My experience wasn't completely luxurious - I DID get my own hotel room, but the lack of sleep (no more than 3-4 hours at a pop IF YOU'RE LUCKY), continuously unfamiliar surroundings, cramped travel accomodations (continous back aches) and feeling like you're running non-stop can get grating, I was on doing it 4 nights a week, but was ready for a break after 4 months in my late 30s, and again these dudes are pushing 60. I doubt VH have it quite as easy as Roger Waters on this tour. So yeah, not only do I completely understand where they're coming from, I support their decision.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    I think people aren't focusing in on the age factor....

I mean, I spent about 16 hours on Saturday flipping burgers and dogs for my son's baseball tournament, and I've had a heating pad on my lower back ever since....

And I'm "only" 47.....

Also, as I've said before, I think the press (especially press that didn't see the Roth-era Van Halen in that era) unfairly is expecting the Van Halen of 1984, with EVH running across the stage and diving to his knees, DLR doing the flying splits off the drum riser.....
    I spent 23 hours over the weekend painting a dune buggy, and I feel like a million bucks! And I am only 48!

These guys are pussies!

The press is expecting a 1984 VH. Fuck the press.

I think if these guys are smart enough to realize they need a break, more power to them. More than likely it is going to do nothing but result in a better show for us anyway. I applaud them for not resting on their laurels. They could tour a month and take a month off for all I care. Whatever it takes to keep it fresh and fun for them, will ultimately keep it fresh and fun for us.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think some people are naturally better at that kind of thing than others.

I can sleep anywhere and can get by on 2 or 3 blocks of 3 hours in 24.

A lot of people aren't like that, my guess is that without booze Eddie isn't good at it.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    you'll all forgive us aussies for being fucking elated that the band are 'learning to speak australian'??

and my footy team had a magic extra time win on sunday... what a weekend.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I think some people are naturally better at that kind of thing than others.

I can sleep anywhere and can get by on 2 or 3 blocks of 3 hours in 24.

A lot of people aren't like that, my guess is that without booze Eddie isn't good at it.

I'm told it's a talent you can learn; I used to ask members of the band I worked for who'd I'd see doze off for 5 and 10 minute cat-naps in airport lobbies, backstager after soundcheck, etc - "How do you DO that, and doesn't that little nap just piss you off as tired as you are?" he replied "You will learn, if you do this for a while - to sleep whenever and wherever you can". Didn't think I ever would until one gig we did where the previous night was in my hometown, so of course I stayed up all night to hang with my friends who stopped by my room...and then the next day after our soundcheck I promptly fell asleep behind the opening acts Marshall full-stacks, slept throught their entire set...monitor guy was like "HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!?!" Told him "I'm learning from the best..."

But I also have photos my friends took of me on days I'd get back into town and I'd look like I was about to fall over from exhaustion...so again, can't blame these guys in the slightest for wanting a breather.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Halen View Post
    I spent 23 hours over the weekend painting a dune buggy, and I feel like a million bucks! And I am only 48!

These guys are pussies!

The press is expecting a 1984 VH. Fuck the press.

I think if these guys are smart enough to realize they need a break, more power to them. More than likely it is going to do nothing but result in a better show for us anyway. I applaud them for not resting on their laurels. They could tour a month and take a month off for all I care. Whatever it takes to keep it fresh and fun for them, will ultimately keep it fresh and fun for us.
    I still believe there's something more to this "break" than rest and retooling the show. Exhaustion is a Hollywood smokescreen for far more serious medical/health issues. Not saying that is the case... the hints of a Japan/Australia tour could be business logistics.

Ed's Esquire interview indicated he's had a less than smooth road health wise. Dave's singing issues with AC still remains unexplained and is more than just an irritant to his performance if the venues are baking the crowd to accommodate whatever Dave's issue is...

I think there's a lot more to all of this than the simple explanation provided...

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That gets harder to do the older you are. I used to be able to nap anywhere, any time. Not anymore. Mess with my internal clock and I'm wiped out for days.

I'm like Dave, get up at 5 in the morning. That means I'm in bed no later than 11, and if I'm not in my own bed, I don't sleep well.
    "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I still say it is not easy I don't care what luxuries you have. 3 of the 4 of them do soundcheck so theirs is more than the 6 hours-not much more but more. They have been on the road for about 3 months straight w a break here and there. Getting up in different places all the time, time zones, different weather, perhaps not restful sleeping, their ages, etc. Sure the massage or the gourmet cooking is a benefit...it would be impossible for them to do it otherwise realistically. That is the physical part of it. There is a mental part of it too no matter how seasoned you are. For example, Ed supposedly gets shy. The mental toll that probably takes on him can be exhausting for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Travelling in luxury playing for 6 hours a week.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    you'll all forgive us aussies for being fucking elated that the band are 'learning to speak australian'??
    How are they going to do that if they don't drink Fosters Beer?

Well...maybe Dave still drinks some, but it seems he's a very healthy eater these days; so he probably gave up drinking too.
    Same ole song and dance...

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well said. I would rather them take a break if they are that tired, strained, whatever and come back with a good show (assuming they are coming back) not exahausted. I wounder if those saying how easy it is have every travelled extensively-luxurious or not.

My experience wasn't completely luxurious - I DID get my own hotel room, but the lack of sleep (no more than 3-4 hours at a pop IF YOU'RE LUCKY), continuously unfamiliar surroundings, cramped travel accomodations (continous back aches) and feeling like you're running non-stop can get grating, I was on doing it 4 nights a week, but was ready for a break after 4 months in my late 30s, and again these dudes are pushing 60. I doubt VH have it quite as easy as Roger Waters on this tour. So yeah, not only do I completely understand where they're coming from, I support their decision.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You guys are a hoot! Even after you get an anwer, you still insist on speculating. Too funny.

No one said they were exhausted. Just remapping in order to go for the long haul. Seems pretty simple to me.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zempi View Post
    Well said. I would rather them take a break if they are that tired, strained, whatever and come back with a good show (assuming they are coming back) not exahausted. I wounder if those saying how easy it is have every travelled extensively-luxurious or not.
    Chances are they haven't.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Check the Roger Waters segment on 60 minutes last night... they asked him how hard it was for him to tour at his age in his 60's. He said it's the easiest job on earth... some one wakes you at half past noon, eat catered food, you are driven every where, fly on a chartered jet, watch tv and eat then taken to the venue and everything is set for you... walk on stage, perform, leave, wind down and in bed before midnight in a nice suite in a hotel.
    I am just informing.
    This year Roger Waters did a big Latinamerican Tour, here he played on March, 7, 9, 10, 12, 14, 15, 17, 18, 20, at River Plate Stadium, more than 50.000 people each concert.
    I didn´t go.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I really wish a Van Halen SouthAmerican Tour, but also want to see them happy and healthy.

Open 8am-5pm M-F
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Personally I don't care. I have see them already.

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have seen the last two shows....Winnipeg and St Paul. Both outstanding. For sure Dave was "tamer" at the last show in MN. I mean Dave was like a young teenager at Winnipeg. He was doing the spinning jump kicks like crazy in Winnie. St Paul he did about half the amount but sheit, I would never be able to perform on stage like Dave at any age and I have no problem jogging 6 miles.

BTW. Best pics by far by www.melodicrockconcerts.com

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Even after the DLR video, Rolling Stone is STILL inferring that DLR MUST be lying...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...dates-20120520

David Lee Roth Explains Postponed Van Halen Tour Dates
    'The band is winning, but our schedule has been sidelined for unnecessary roughness'

By ROLLING STONE
    May 20, 2012 4:56 PM ET

David Lee Roth posted a video this weekend explaining the mysteriously postponed dates on Van Halen's tour.

As Rolling Stone reported Thursday, the band abruptly postponed all the tour dates after their July 26th show in New Orleans, pulling more than 30 dates from their schedule last week, including shows in Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, Salt Lake City and El Paso. They offered no explanation for the postponement at the time.

Though a source with knowledge of the tour attributed the cancelations to fighting within the band, Roth insists otherwise in the video. "The band is getting along famously," he says, "better than we have in quite some time."

The true cause for the disruption, he explains, is simply exhaustion.

"As usual, we bit off way more than we could chew when it came to scheduling. The band is winning, but our schedule has been sidelined for unnecessary roughness," he says. "We're gonna take a break and we're gonna come all the way back around, because this tour is gonna take about two years."

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rolling Stone can lick my onion ring!

Until they can get a "Best" poll right, they can fuck off.

They should print that rag on toilet paper, because it is only good for wiping your ass with it!

fourthcoming
    Please.....Rolling Stone thinks Groups like Arcade Fire and Coldplay are the best things since sliced bread......or jack White is the greatest thing on planet Earth......bunch of yuppy, pretentous spoiled brats........go visit the spoiled, yuppy, "i'm trying to dress and look like I'm a starving artist/barista trying to make it in the big city, but in reality I'm a trust fund baby and mommy and daddy pay my rent" 20 something douchebags who have taken over places like Williamsburgh, Brooklyn....that's your Rolling Stone crowd.

LIGHT EM UP!!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    the thing is that these guys set the bar so fucking high back in the day, that when the media sees them now they are a bit shell shocked....they are bringing it big time regardless of how old they are

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I too think there's more to it. I think it has to do with whatever it is that makes it so that Dave cannot tolerate AC.

It seems like his vocals definitely showed some improvement when they first turned AC off everywhere, but the issues seem to be cropping up again.

I've stated in another thread what I believe the issue may be, and I do hope I'm wrong. No matter what though, anyone can see there's something going on with Dave. The blowers, the throat clearing and lemons.

Hell, could be as simple as post-nasal drip, which I've also theorized about.

fourthcoming
    Quote Originally Posted by SNIPER View Post
    The boots were to hide his skinny calves. He knows we are on to him. It's a matter of time now for a calve PR explanation.
    That's hysterical......Sniper, I didn't know you were a bodybuilder too!!!!

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    That gets harder to do the older you are. I used to be able to nap anywhere, any time. Not anymore. Mess with my internal clock and I'm wiped out for days.

I'm like Dave, get up at 5 in the morning. That means I'm in bed no later than 11, and if I'm not in my own bed, I don't sleep well.
    Me too. If I'm on the road for work..I sleep like shit. If I'm on the road for vacation...sleep like shit at least for the first couple of days.
    You know Dave's not getting to bed at 11. And if he's up at 5 your talking 4-5 hours sleep.
    " You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well here's to hoping everyone gets rested up and back to the issue at hand, rocking.

But those tools at Rolling Stone are obviously BIG Hagar fans, which should tell you what their rock cred really is. It's a magazine that caters to yuppies and snotty nosed idiots who snub their nose at real rock. If you're not trendy then they dismiss you as unimportant. They're the same trolls that panned Led Zeppelin, Cream, etc. their magazine is a joke.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Girl View Post
    You guys are a hoot! Even after you get an anwer, you still insist on speculating. Too funny.

No one said they were exhausted. Just remapping in order to go for the long haul. Seems pretty simple to me.
    You do realize this is a $30 - 50 million dollar tour leg involving multiple big businesses and not some planned weekend get-away to the mall..?

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can agree it's rough but my experience probably wasn't anywhere near the luxury these guys have... it ain't like they have 5 guys on a bus who if we were lucky got a single motel room to shower and clean up... hunt down laundry mats in the local town and eat at truck stops/fast food joints.

You're comparing Roger Waters to Van Halen in term of onstage performance - in terms of actual physical effort? I like Pink Floyd, but please.
    Roth Army Canada

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You do realize this is a $30 - 50 million dollar tour leg involving multiple big businesses and not some planned weekend get-away to the mall..?
    All the more reason they want to do their best...not a half-assed going-through-the-motions show.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just because they're not flying coach doesn't make it THAT much easier, dude. They're still shuttling between time zones, and you NEVER feel like you can relax for even a second. It's rough on a 20 or 30-something, brutal on someone in their 50s...trust me.

I think them taking a break is smart.
    Anyone who says it is easy hasn't done it. Just one time zone change can do you in for a couple of days.

Flying is no fun.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I know Roger Waters is the creative force behind Pink Floyd...but he plays Bass!!

There isn't all that many vocals in any Pink Floyd song...

I think Roger's actual calories burnt per concert is about equivalent to Ed's effort in Romeo Delight

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No way Dave is sitting around watching TV during his down time. He's picking wood ticks off his balls...

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    Anyone who says it is easy hasn't done it. Just one time zone change can do you in for a couple of days.

Flying is no fun.
    Oh come on... I did the music end back in my younger days... it was tough but more so due to the lifestyle we chose to live. I have done a ton of business travel since. Sure hopping time zones can throw you off a little but it's manageable.

It's not like these guys are commuting back to Howdy Doody Mountain every other day. Most of their stops have been regionally scheduled with less than a half day's drive time between locations and 2-3 days off between shows.

On second thought... I guess this tour must be really rough on them. Especially when you factor in 4-5 years of jacking off doing nothing between jobs... Bless their hearts...
    Last edited by ZahZoo; 05-21-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    I know Roger Waters is the creative force behind Pink Floyd...but he plays Bass!!

There isn't all that many vocals in any Pink Floyd song...

I think Roger's actual calories burnt per concert is about equivalent to Ed's effort in Romeo Delight
    Even less calories.....

fourthcoming
    If they are truly burned out and don't want to go just go through the motions, then I completely respect that. What I don't understand is why then would you committ to all the extra dates in the first place. Those dates were added fairly recently. You mean to tell me between the time the dates were added, untill their recent decision to postpone the tour, they became burned out? I'm sure at this point in there career they call the shots. It's not 1978 and they are young and dumb, being pushed around by a record company or by promotoers. Again, I understand.....their not spring chickens anymore, I get it. If they want to re-vamp the live show....I'm all for it.....I'm all for pretty much anything this band and Uncle Dave decide to do...they have been my favorite band since I was a child.....but let's be real......it's a tad bit un-professional.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddb View Post
    I have seen the last two shows....Winnipeg and St Paul. Both outstanding. For sure Dave was "tamer" at the last show in MN. I mean Dave was like a young teenager at Winnipeg. He was doing the spinning jump kicks like crazy in Winnie. St Paul he did about half the amount but sheit, I would never be able to perform on stage like Dave at any age and I have no problem jogging 6 miles.

BTW. Best pics by far by www.melodicrockconcerts.com
    Nice pics.
    This takes a lot of training and burnt calories, and he is 57 !!!

Comic Strip Aficionado
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fuck comparing van halen to roger waters or any other touring rock star, for that matter......my dad is older than VH, at 62 years old. The old kant works in a refrigerator assembly factory, 9 hours a day, 6 days a week. He doesn't get 3 months off cos he is feeling a bit oldfarty.

I want whatever is best for this band, but they make it so easy to think the worst.
    I could play "Stairway To Heaven" when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was 22. I think that says quite a lot.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    On second thought... I guess this tour must be really rough on them. Especially when you factor in 4-5 years of jacking off doing nothing between jobs... Bless their hearts...
    That is pretty funny

Ron
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Long planned? LOL. They were just added.

And it's not band fighting. These guys know enough to stay away from each other before it gets to that point. Fighting would have occurred making an album, signing label contract, and before a tour started. These guys only fight over %.....and all that has been locked up before note 1 was played at Cafe Wha?
    Right, these are fxxxx true words, exactly how it is and nothing else,,so cut the bullshit and watch those shows they've done till' now,, 'band-fighting' : come on get real,, these guys are

playin' like they're runnin'for ( no no no not the 'devil' ) those waysted years ( yeah yeah : Iron Maiden ) and wanna enjoy every bloody minute of every bloody show,, from the 1st till' the very last seconds they are enjoying it,, it's like they've finally realize how many time they've lost with all that real bullshit ( I mean especially Eddie ).

And personally I think this has to do with Eddie's health, Dave loves him and know he can't go on without Ed, Wolfie knows his dad as no one else and don't forget big brother Al,,,,when's something seemed to be wrong with his 'little '' brother'''',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,!!!

So the only thing we must or can be afraid of is ( Eddie ) healthy problems........till we know more I'm gonna play 'Somebody get me a doctor'' and I'll wait and maybe it's all ....

a different kind of ....uh uh..!!!!!!!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Uh, yeah..that's right. I want Dave to take off his shirt so that I'm confident he's healthy. If Dave takes off some clothes, I'll be feelin' something more than confident.
    Me likes the way you think.....

Quote Originally Posted by Momshell View Post
    Ok - I'm feeling a little better - time for a beer and maybe a VH video. So if all is actually ok, do I get to keep my EVH flip flops or are they still jinxed?!
    BTW - one big improvement for the next leg - Dave needs to lose the shirt. He had some of us thinking he had a thyroid condition a couple of pages ago. He needs to take off his shirt so that we can feel confident that he is healthy. Right?
    "Why behave in public if you're livin' on a playground?"

Thread Information