• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZahZoo
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    What in the hell am I reading....
    This is what happens when CVH fans get too much of a good thing...

Ha!! Reasonable, objective discussions of III... who would of thought it...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Inside.intel
      Full On Cocktard
      • May 2012

this was 2oo7?
      Live Right here in Nashville TN always had and always will the smile with the style the voice that leaves you no choice I heard you missed me, I'm back!!!! thank you very much and how the hell are ya!!

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by loucap81
        Find software that removes vocals from songs. Then listen to Van Halen III like that, and there's your instrumental album.
        Here's a better idea, one that is cheaper and requires less effort: Eject the CD from your player and chuck it out the window, preferably into a canal or landfill. No, you won't be doing the environment any favors, but at least your conscience will be clear.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

First you would have to obtain a copy...

I've never seen one in person, not even at a pawn shop...

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS

I recall listening to the Bob & Tom show around the time that VHIII came out. They were discussing a press release from the band or record company that announced contest winners would be able to receive one of two copies of the album as a grand prize. A palatable sense of dismay filled the airwaves, one that did not ever go away. In fact, the day of the album's issue, I happened to be doing some framing in a strip shopping mall that featured a Target store. When I went over and bought the album, I returned to the job site showing off the CD. This was greeted by a general consensus of my co-workers around the lines of "Dude, that album sucks." Apparently, there had been a radio show the night before playing cuts from the record, which by all accounts (including my own fuzzily remembered thoughts) that went disastrously badly.

To this day, that album depresses me in a way only equal to an evening spent swallowing bad whiskey while listening to Jackson Browne and Neil Young albums or eating tofu, only in roughly 1/3 the time.
            Last edited by chefcraig; 05-31-2012, 11:29 AM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• loucap81
              Head Fluffer
              • Apr 2012

Believe me I never bought, or have any intention of buying that album. I've never seen a physical copy of it either actually. The songs are on YouTube, as is the case with just about every song ever written.

Comment

• chefcraig
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by loucap81
                Believe me I never bought, or have any intention of buying that album. I've never seen a physical copy of it either actually. The songs are on YouTube, as is the case with just about every song ever written.
                Well, if you are ever feeling adventurous or merely wish to have a large set of balls slapped against your chin, seek out the deluxe version that came wrapped in the equivalent of a sardine can and offered the ultimate bonus of a fucking guitar pick for the effort. No, I am not kidding.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

You should be banned for that image...

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

You should be banned for that image...
                    Trust me, the devastatingly awful carnage brought to my dignity and self-esteem created by purchasing and then listening to this utterly vile, worthless piece of shit has done more to devastate me than any public banning from a website could ever hope to produce. Talk about a letdown. Then again, it did help prepare me for married life and preposterously low expectations.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• sadaist
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jul 2004

I bought it. Gave it 3 listens through. Went back to Tower Records & asked for my money back. When they asked why I said "this sucks". They wouldn't do it. So I went to another Tower & said it was scratched....yeah that's it, scratched. So they gave me a fresh unopened copy which I proceeded to then take to the other Tower and get a full refund.

Only sad part of my story is I probably ended up counting for 2 sales of that crap album even though I ended up not spending a dollar or keeping a copy.
                      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Inside.intel
                        this was 2oo7?
                        No.

Thank you for playing...
                        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                          No.

Thank you for playing...

Go fish.
                          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• FALCO
                            Groupie
                            • Jun 2004

Digging this... not a slam, but pretty on point to me...

Dave or Grave for me... but some of the vocal choices have been interesting to say the least...

Absolutely great on some, and on others his 'interpretations' leave a bit to be desired; especially when it seems he can still sing in that mid-range whiskey vibe that are the way the songs are actually recorded... I feel he was much stronger 07/08, but then again, was also 5 years ago... not sure what happened to his voice, but it does sound different and I noticed it immediately at the Cafe Wha? gig...

All that being said, still, DLR fronted Van Halen is the ONLY Van Halen...

\m/ \m/

Originally posted by Terry
                            About the only aspect of Roth's current live approach that raised my eyebrows when I saw the band last month was the choice he made to sing in that strained mid-register throughout the set, applying that range to songs that didn't always benefit from it (eg. Pretty Woman doesn't sound too hot when Dave decides to yell all the verses, especially when that is a tune he is still clearly capable of singing in the original recorded style without difficulty - I can understand him utilizing different vocal techniques to navigate verses that contained his high-pitched shrieks on the original recordings, since that part of his vocal arsenal is pretty much tapped out, but why yell lyrics on tunes that are still within his capabilities to simply sing? just makes it needlessly hard for him, and doesn't really sound too hot).

There are some other odds and ends in 2012 that aren't quite up to the standards Roth set in 2007-2008. Dave is frequently forgetting or just failing to sing verses throughout the set. This has been a longtime aspect of his live work, but it is a little bit of a letdown now because he was so focused and on-point 4 years ago far as that went. Honestly, the last tour was one where Dave exhibited such a high degree of preparation and concentration that really hadn't been on display in quite a while. His solo gigs in 2005 and 2006 were full of instances where Roth wasn't singing verses, and when he was singing he was often all over the place in terms of singing in a really low octave, then a really high octave, then back to a low octave within the same song which was originally sung in one range. It came across as if he were just bored with singing the tunes the way they were originally written and was trying to keep things interesting for himself, or he just couldn't be bothered. In 2007-2008, he buckled down and had his act wired tight. Like, honestly, with the condition Eddie was in 4 years ago, had Roth performed then like he is now THAT would have been a pretty weak display.

Matter of fact, the high point of 2007-2008, far as I was concerned, WAS Roth! Eddie wasn't up to snuff, Wolfgang was inaudible...Alex was on the money. This last time around, all of the Van Halens were charged up and fucking ready to go and Dave...just wasn't able to quite match them. Ain't referencing his physical stage presence or the relative lack of kung fu acrobatics. That aspect has been waning for years, as well it should.

All of the above may piss a few people off, and many may disagree or just aren't seeing what I did at the shows they attended this time around. Hey, that's cool. Have been on these boards more than a few years now, and anyone who knows me also (I hope) knows I have a deep, abiding appreciation for this band. However, that doesn't mean I'm gonna load up my opinions with bullshit as a way to go along and get along. Last time around, Eddie was a bit of a wreck, Wolfie was almost a nonentity, Alex served it up well and Roth was easily the strongest link. This time around, the Van Halens are fucking BRINGING it, and Roth isn't really up to par with them yet. I'm totally stoked about the new album and very grateful the band (such as it is) is still out there doing it: if someone told me in 2006 that by 2012 we would have seen two tours with Roth and a new album, I would have laughed at them. Yet it happened. Pretty fucking sweet overall. Still gotta keep the critical eye out. I wasn't someone who lowered my standards when Hagar joined the band in order to nod my head and say Van Halen was 100% as good as they could possibly be, and I'm not about to start now. The good news is that, unlike the Van Hagar years where the inclusion of Sammy was a hurdle the band wasn't gonna overcome no matter what, today's problems with Van Halen are easily fixable: Roth just needs to sing the tunes.
                            NEW Wicked Maraya coming in 2015!!!
                            'Lifetime In Hell' (unreleased 1991) and 2 NEW songs!!!
                            "A little more volume in the headphones please..."

Comment

• Dan
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jan 2004

Page 5.
                              First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dan
                                Page 5.
                                thanks
                                Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

Working...