Did Michael Anthony play bass on every classic Van Halen song?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VHscraps
    Veteran
    • Jul 2009

There's no telling, ultimately, unless Donn Landee or Ted Templeman come out and say it, but I think it was Mike Anthony on all that stuff.

Yeah, I agree, that when Ed was tinkering around in the studio after hours on the Fair Warning sessions it might have given him an opportunity to do some bass. The funky bass on 'Push Comes to Shove' - for some folks that probably sounds like un-Mike bass playing, but I do remember at the time Mike saying that Ed was getting him to listen to Percy Jones of Brand X, and saying 'try playing a bit like that for this tune'.

C'mon - MA had been a bass player for a long time by the time VH came to record the six-pack. He subordinated himself to the needs of the band. He's probably got way more chops than he was ever allowed to show in VH.

I've said it before and I say it again now - one of the first things we KNOW for sure that Ed played bass on was that Hagar solo album around 1986. For me, the guy was simply not a bass player on the evidence of that - the bass playing on that album stood out to me as a guitar player trying to play bass.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
      Yeah me too. Like that one time somebody tried to rewrite the bass playing credits to ADKOT before the cd even came out over a 9 page thread.

I know that took me all day, but this is a characteristically crazy Friday.
      You can't blame me for not putting anything past Edward Van Heineken...

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by ELVIS
        You can't blame me for not putting anything past Edward Van Heineken...
        Mmm hmm.

Comment

• fourthcoming

Whenever I call someone a name an angel gets its wings...

That explains why there are no wing-less angels.

Comment

• fourthcoming

Originally posted by chefcraig
            I dunno. On one hand, you have the admission by Billy Sheehan that he was approached by Ed and Dave to join the band sometime in 1980 or 1981.
            I always enjoyed Mike's vocals, but damn....Sheehan would have been great with VH.

Comment

• SNIPER
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jun 2004

That's your imagination getting the better of you...
              I don't think so bro. I read this from an interview from the band. Don't forget there is NO bass in Jump anyway so that one is a given.

Comment

• SNIPER
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by VHscraps
                There's no telling, ultimately, unless Donn Landee or Ted Templeman come out and say it, but I think it was Mike Anthony on all that stuff.

Yeah, I agree, that when Ed was tinkering around in the studio after hours on the Fair Warning sessions it might have given him an opportunity to do some bass. The funky bass on 'Push Comes to Shove' - for some folks that probably sounds like un-Mike bass playing, but I do remember at the time Mike saying that Ed was getting him to listen to Percy Jones of Brand X, and saying 'try playing a bit like that for this tune'.

C'mon - MA had been a bass player for a long time by the time VH came to record the six-pack. He subordinated himself to the needs of the band. He's probably got way more chops than he was ever allowed to show in VH.

I've said it before and I say it again now - one of the first things we KNOW for sure that Ed played bass on was that Hagar solo album around 1986. For me, the guy was simply not a bass player on the evidence of that - the bass playing on that album stood out to me as a guitar player trying to play bass.
                Agreed. However Dirty Movies sounds like the Hagar bass to me the most.

Comment

• SNIPER
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jun 2004

The Van Hagar chapter in the Spam book does claim that Ed played a lot of the bass in the studio. But then again that guy is also a fucking two faced full of shit liar so it is hard to say.

Comment

• Satan
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

Which isn't always a bad thing in and of itself. Not necessarily on the Hagar album, but when it comes to folks like Geezer Butler, Ronnie Lane, John Entwistle, Ronnie Wood, etc. All guitarists who took a back seat to another guitar player and ended up playing something that might be called "lead bass" on occasion.

Problem is, when Eddie played bass behind Hagar, it was the polar opposite of this.... a crap guitarist with a bass player who was better than him.
                    Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Terry
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

When I listen to parts of Fair Warning, some of it does sound a bit unlike anything Anthony had played on previous records...

However, when I listen to what Anthony is doing on those 3 Oakland 1981 live tracks (particularly on So This Is Love?), it's clear what was played on Fair Warning was easily within Anthony's capabilities.

I suppose the counter-claim would be that Eddie obviously went back and redubbed the bass tracks to the Oakland audio as well
                      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Yount
                        Commando
                        • Jan 2012

Do you think Sheehan would have helped VH avoid the late 80's fade into parody, and move towards the styles of ADKOT but obviously years earlier? The move could have pleased all members if you consider, but who knows about the personalities?

Comment

• VHscraps
                          Veteran
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Terry
                          When I listen to parts of Fair Warning, some of it does sound a bit unlike anything Anthony had played on previous records...

However, when I listen to what Anthony is doing on those 3 Oakland 1981 live tracks (particularly on So This Is Love?), it's clear what was played on Fair Warning was easily within Anthony's capabilities.

I suppose the counter-claim would be that Eddie obviously went back and redubbed the bass tracks to the Oakland audio as well
                          Agree on that.

On the albums, I can think of the bass on 'Romeo Delight' - when Ed hits the solo, listen to that right there. MA also takes off at the same time, and plays some hot shit right there.

I hate to admit it, but I saw some Chickensh!t in the studio video clip when the band, minus Hagar, were jamming / in rehearsal - it might have just been MA and the Chad the drummer dude. MA was definitely showing some chops on that.

I don't have a link ...
                          THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• CROWBAR
                            Commando
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by fourthcoming
                            I always enjoyed Mike's vocals, but damn....Sheehan would have been great with VH.
                            I don't. I saw Sheehan on the EEAS tour with Dave along with Steve Vai attempt VH songs and it just did not sound right. Understandably, it wasn't their music and they did what they could with it, and, as good of players as they both are, it came off phony. Sheehan's aggressiveness just couldn't fit in with EVH's style as well. I don't think Sheehan would have wanted to be "restrained" just to appease the Master. His creative differences with Dave during Skyscraper is evidence of that too. Dave had the final word and Sheehan bailed.

Agree

Absolutely it did. I've heard it too. It was Hagar's final obligation to then Geffen Records I think, and Ed stepped in and played bass to help out.

Originally posted by Yount
                            Do you think Sheehan would have helped VH avoid the late 80's fade into parody, and move towards the styles of ADKOT but obviously years earlier? The move could have pleased all members if you consider, but who knows about the personalities?
                            No

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                              ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I like Mike, but can you really say you liked his balls-in-a-vice screams that were part and parcel of every live show before 1981-82?

He may have been restrained in the studio, but Mike didn't seem to have any governor in the live show until later.
                              sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• SNIPER
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Jun 2004

I am glad Sheehan never got in. It would have not been the same FW DD and 84 as we know it. Plus I don't think he would have stayed long term and VH would have had many other bass players over the years. As I think Billy is more of a band hopper and likes to do many projects. Not to mention we would also not have EEAS as we know it as Dave most likely would have picked up another player. History would have been all fucked up. ..Just my 2 cents. But I have felt this way for a couple decades now. Boy I need to get a life.
                                Last edited by SNIPER; 06-02-2012, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Working...