X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Syria: A Line in the Sand

Has Syria crossed the line with Houla massacre?
    Published On Sat Jun 02 2012

People gather at a mass burial for the victims purportedly killed during an artillery barrage from Syrian forces in Houla in this handout image dated May 26. UN observers in Syria have confirmed that artillery and tank shells were fired at a residential area of Houla, Syria, where at least 108 people, including many children, were killed.

REUTERS
    By Tony Burman Special to the Star

Will the horror of Houla be the tipping point in Syria’s deepening civil war? Like the massacre in Srebrenica in 1995 or the horrendous shelling of the Sarajevo market in 1994, will the mass killing near the town of Houla of at least 108 Syrian villagers, including 34 women and 49 children, be the breaking point for the world? Has the heinous Syrian regime finally crossed the line?

So far, the early signs are not good. The helplessness of the international community in the face of this latest outrage has been in full display. Efforts by the UN’s special envoy Kofi Annan are in disarray. Russia continues to favour its Syrian ally, as do Iran and China. A handful of Western governments, including Canada’s, expelled their Syrian diplomats but they have done little else. Meanwhile, the killing continues.

But the dangers ahead are not lost on anyone, and that may eventually break the impasse. The Syrian uprising has become the longest and bloodiest of all the insurrections throughout the Arab world in the past 18 months. With nearly 12,000 lives already lost, the courage of the Syrian people in the face of this has been breathtaking. But, apart from its poignancy, it is a conflict with enormous potential to destabilize the region and to disrupt the international order. Also, unless resolved, it is certain to get worse.

The massacre at Houla may be repeated again and again. What is important here is the number of eyewitnesses. All signs point to a civilian pro-government militia that witnesses say entered people’s homes in army fatigues and either cut their throats or shot them in the head.

In terms of international intervention, there is no immediate military option. Russia and China would veto any efforts by the UN to initiate the same type of intervention which occurred in Libya. Also, neither the Americans nor NATO have the stomach for another Middle East adventure. The best hope appears to be diplomacy and increased sanctions against the Syrian regime.

The key player is Russia, Syria’s most important ally. Russia fears what may follow president Bashar al-Assad if he is toppled is chaos and sectarian violence, which could threaten Russia’s strategic interests and naval foothold. But there are signs now that even Vladimir Putin may be recognizing that the time for a deal may be close.

The Americans and Russians are discussing what has been called the “Yemenskii variant” as a way of transitioning Syria to a post-Assad model. It calls for something similar to the Saudi-backed plan for Yemen which got rid of dictator Ali Abdullah Saleh but kept family and key supporters initially in place. They would form part of the transitional administration before the holding of free elections. This idea will apparently be on the agenda at next month’s summit between Putin and U.S. president Barack Obama.

The tragedy for the Syrian people in all of this is that, for the world’s key governments, the Syrian conflict is not only a human story about horrors such as Houla. Increasingly, it is an unpredictable proxy war among competing world powers with very different strategic goals.

• Iran, which was the biggest loser in the “Arab Spring” because of its diminished influence, sees its long-held support of the Assad regime as a way of maintaining power over a key Arab country.

• Russia, which in the Soviet era had Middle Eastern influence over Egypt, Iraq and Syria, now has only Damascus in its corner, and even that is threatened.

• China, with massive economic interests in Iran, is actively supporting Syria’s Assad regime as a way of courting favour with Tehran.

• And the United States is not only in competition with these other global powers but it too is trying to find its way in a new Middle East where all rules are being rewritten.

Meanwhile, Syria’s neighbours are watching unfolding events in that country with dread. The governments in Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq are weak and unstable. The fear of a looming Sunni-Shiite sectarian war is often voiced. The euphoria of political liberation is increasingly clashing with ancient ethnic hatreds.

This Syrian tragedy has inflicted profound pain on the Syrian people. But as it careens further out of control, the crisis risks spilling beyond Syria’s borders and threatening the entire region, and beyond.

Let us hope that this prospect will motivate the world’s global powers to get this settled before it is too late.

Tony Burman, former head of Al Jazeera English and CBC News, teaches journalism at Ryerson University. tony.burman@gmail.com

The Toronto Star
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 12-03-2012, 07:41 PM. Reason: update
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Well Syria was on the list. What they didn't plan on was Russia and China getting involved and it taking more than five years. Shows what a cocky bunch of mother fuckers the neocons were.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 06-02-2012, 03:42 PM.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Now here's what some of the locals have to say about it.

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The Daily Show with Jon StewartGet More: Daily Show Full Episodes,Political Humor & Satire Blog,The Daily Show on Facebook
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express

Now here's what some of the locals have to say about it.
          Complete bullshit "newspeak" propaganda at the behest of the Syrian gov't...

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Could be.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Well.... SyrianBabe is correct that "Al Qaeda" is a wholly owned subsidiary of BCE/CIA. But that doesn't mean Assad isn't a flaming hemorrhoid.
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

I remember when I was a little kid in the 70's my babysitter had a Vietnam vet friend who was in a wheel chair. In a way he was like Sargeant Dan in Forrest Gump. He was a bit crazed from the war and probably some drugs. He went on about how the CIA dealed in drugs in the golden triangle and what criminals they were. I thought he was just some crazy hippie and he was a bit creepy but I liked going over to his place because he would let me play his electric guitar. It was your typical 70's hangout and behind the couch he had a big sheet with Zig Zag man with a tie dyed border. Hindsight being 20/20 I think my babysitter was buying pot from the dude.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

It's (1st) Lieutenant Dan!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                    Well.... SyrianBabe is correct that "Al Qaeda" is a wholly owned subsidiary of BCE/CIA. But that doesn't mean Assad isn't a flaming hemorrhoid.

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                      I remember when I was a little kid in the 70's my babysitter had a Vietnam vet friend who was in a wheel chair. In a way he was like Sargeant Dan in Forrest Gump. He was a bit crazed from the war and probably some drugs. He went on about how the CIA dealed in drugs in the golden triangle and what criminals they were. I thought he was just some crazy hippie and he was a bit creepy but I liked going over to his place because he would let me play his electric guitar. It was your typical 70's hangout and behind the couch he had a big sheet with Zig Zag man with a tie dyed border. Hindsight being 20/20 I think my babysitter was buying pot from the dude.
                      So, what's the moral of the story ?.

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                        So, what's the moral of the story ?.
                        It was good to be a kid in the 70's.
                        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jul 2004

I don't understand why we were so quick to go into Libya but not Syria. And what about all the African nations in the last 15 years that have been slaughtering their people? Where was the outrage & US intervention there? We sure are picky about when we want to stand up & act righteous.
                          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                            It was good to be a kid in the 70's.
                            It was good to be a kid in the 70's. It was the sweet spot. The pendulum has swung far enough out of the prudish 50's but hadn't gone completely into insaneville yet. It was also great to be a teenager in the 80's. Our generation really hit a home run there. We enjoyed our youth before they started to smother us and say no you can't and when the economy was still good. I had my own car as a teen and I bought it with my own money and got away from home right when I graduated from high school. What do the kids today own and many just bum off of mom and dad for years. They have this defeatist attitude. We wanted to own our own stuff and get out on our own and couldn't wait to do it.
                            Last edited by Nitro Express; 06-03-2012, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                              I don't understand why we were so quick to go into Libya but not Syria. And what about all the African nations in the last 15 years that have been slaughtering their people? Where was the outrage & US intervention there? We sure are picky about when we want to stand up & act righteous.
                              Follow the money Sadist. What does Libya have that Syria doesn't? Hint: It's in the ground and it burns.

Comment

Working...