Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Romeo Delight
    ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I think for me the best parts of the shows are the ad-libbed components...so jams in the beginning, middle or ending of songs. I can't think of any band who has the ability to deliver there like the Mighty Halen.

Sure it would be nice if the stage were a little more detailed, but I care about the music first and foremost. Deliver more jams if anything...

Name me any band that can pull off just walking onstage as Al does to start the show. Is he worried about getting hurt walking in the dark? Who cares? Once they start playing I wouldn't want to be anywhere else
    sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Zing!
      Veteran
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
      Ed Rooney said it best in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"....

"Between grief and nothingness....I'll take grief."
      He also said he wasn't going to let some punk kid leave his cheese out in the wind.

Something to think about there.
      My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
        Name me any band that can pull off just walking onstage as Al does to start the show.
        Wasn't that nuts at the Forum show?

It was like, "Hey, that's fucking Al !!"

We had no idea he was just going jump on up and start pounding....
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Romeo Delight
          ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

It was so surreal...I couldn't quite believe I was actually there to begin with and then to have then just bring it as they did.

I was still trying to fathom how Brett was EXACTLY as I pictured him from his online persona. I didn't know you could still buy poncho's...
          sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• diamondclaudio
            Roadie
            • Jan 2004

C ´on Dave. All I´m askin you is do vocals as 2008 and stage as 2012. You could easily jump three times a show. the band could easily make some jam. Play could this be magic, Light up the sky and In a simple rhyme. And at he very final show which it´ll include Michael Anthony at the Super Bowl, add it a final Split jump. Thats it!!! Then please retire to do a final solo álbum and tour with the yankee rose band,. After that enjoy gloriously your older years ahead.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

Unstuck....
              Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by diamondclaudio
                C ´on Dave. All I´m askin you is do vocals as 2008 and stage as 2012. You could easily jump three times a show. the band could easily make some jam. Play could this be magic, Light up the sky and In a simple rhyme. And at he very final show which it´ll include Michael Anthony at the Super Bowl, add it a final Split jump. Thats it!!! Then please retire to do a final solo álbum and tour with the yankee rose band,. After that enjoy gloriously your older years ahead.
                Why don't you tell him what you want to eat as well ??

Comment

• katina
                  Commando
                  • Mar 2012

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                  I certainly don't expect things to suddenly be all hay-dayish, even if Mike A showed up. I view this as nostalgia victory laps. The victory being that they're still even able to rock at all at this age, and the nostalgia? Let me put this way, Dave opened virtually every song at MSG with, "oh, I remember this song!"

It's never gonna be as it once was, so I'm making the best of what in now is.

Aaaaaas is. (that's how it goes)
                  I agree with you I crossing my fingers for some Europe shows.

Comment

• BenJammin
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Feb 2004

Wow... how the tides have turned with the 'hang it up' posts that I read on the last few pages. Yes they are all older now (except for Wolf, which is beside the point here). It's still easy to sound good on guitar/instruments but the voice ages, get over it, Dave is working hard at giving us fans what he's got left. The Osaka digest that was posted highlighted a very controlled DLR delivering in a comfortable & controlled range for him. Kudos. If you aren't digging it, YOU should move on... not VH. Jesus H. Christ... I'll be 49 this year and I feel too tired to get up to face the day most every day, ahd Dave us about 10 years older than me still getting up there on stage and giving it quite a go.

That being said, yes I would like to see more studio albums where they bring out the best whereas I can tell the tours expose a lot of flaws and fatigue especially in Dave, but the finest wines are always aged and it still take a lot of brass to get up there and be real where even the young nothing stars of the moment lip sync, auto-tune, have backup singers, hide in the stage production, etc.

...but Beyonce's Superbowl halftime show still sticks in my mind, lol !
                    "Money can't buy poverty." -Marty Feldman

Comment

• Silexxx
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Sep 2010

First Osaka show

Comment

• Silexxx
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Sep 2010

...and the second Osaka show

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Dave sounded powerful! Pipes are in decent form.

Chinatown still a speed bump, but I don't think he cares. That's an Ed/Wolf showcase that's just too damn fast for him. It's bookended by SGMAD and HAIL, both of which he nails.

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Nails ??

It was kinda OK...

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

But he still sounds 100 years old with a hot poker up his ass...

Chinatown is just plain awful on Dave's part...

Ed ripped the solo in that last clip...

Comment

• envy_me
                                Swedish Love Pump
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Dec 2010

God, Ed looks old. He looks like one of the Castro brothers.
                                The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

Working...