Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Van Halen Japanese Tour Dates

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I understand what you are saying Va, but how old is Steven Tyler? How old are any of the singers (that are still alive ) from this era.

You are missing the point. It's not just about the kicks, it's about the overall effort. Dave is clearly mailing it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    And better costumes!! I'm talking full on Liberace capes and everything!
    with iron man helmets...
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You'll have to address that complaint to Our Lord And Savior, Wolfie. He's the leader of the band!
    Will do. I have an appointment with wolfie next month, he has promised me to bring Mike back, or he will shut the band down by August

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    with iron man helmets...
    And big giant cod pieces like that dude in Cameo!!
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

shit faced
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    sword act would be nice a round house to.He is in Japan.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ooh, or some magic tricks! He could saw Wolfie in half! Permanently!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No, no, no... He needs to go totally Gallagher but combine the Sledge-O-Matic with Samurai swords and instead of watermelons... Red Bull and Pop Tarts. It'll work... Gallagher is like almost 10 years older than Dave and they've got the same hair-line...

"If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, we gotta update Wolfie's gig clothes too. I vote for this:

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    After reading the last few pages looks like the 58 year old Dave has no fans. Livin' in the past are we ? The past is history. The guy's in Van Halen are old & have had many health problems. Including what is it 2 back surgeries for Dave ? But you still want him doing spinning air kicks ? Get real ! The guy is old ! And I laugh when I see people bitch they are still playing their biggest songs. I really don't get it. That's what the average fan's that fill a arena want to hear when they pay $ 100 bucks a ticket. Sure I want too hear deep cut's and they have played them. I do agree Dave needs too put in more time remembering his lyrics, but I won't give him shit for the shape his voice is in. If he could sing better he would. Why wouldn't he ? Unless it is just some easy solution like his monitors or something. Looks like they might as well stay home this year. Everyone here thinks it's over. Good ! When they have too play clubs again I will be the first one at the door. More room for me ! I hate arenas. I always said I don't want VH to go much longer than 5-6 more years because their history is the great American party band.( At least with Dave ) And being 65 and doing that seems silly too me. Maybe they are already there ?
    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 06-20-2013 at 07:33 PM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post
    Maybe the crowd didn't realize it was Van Halen on stage? They sure as hell didn't sound like Van Halen that night. They need to change up the set list. Hot For Teacher, panama, jump... yawn... if I was there I would be in the beer line the whole show. Give us Secrets, Dirty Movies... push come to shove... something in the lower range that Dave can still sing. We all know the voice is shot... but damn when you take away the performance and the kicks Dave doesn't have very much left to offer. If they can't bring Michael back, they should just retire or be a studio band. I'll buy the albums! There just doesn't seem to be any energy at all. If you look at the DLR Band from 2002 when Dave was doing 5 kicks a song you wouldn't even recognize this is the same front man. Hell, when I watch my old bootlegs from the 80's I seriously question if this is really the same person in 2013.

Here's an example... Is this the same person? This performer was a million times better just ten years ago!

Ray Luzier is amazing - sorry but his energy alone adds at least and extra 10% over the current Van Halen lineup.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Brian ain't no slouch either...

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bring back the DLR Band!!!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    After reading the last few pages looks like the 58 year old Dave has no fans. Livin' in the past are we ? The past is history. The guy's in Van Halen are old & have had many health problems. Including what is it 2 back surgeries for Dave ? But you still want him doing spinning air kicks ? Get real ! The guy is old ! And I laugh when I see people bitch they are still playing their biggest songs. I really don't get it. That's what the average fan's that fill a arena want to hear when they pay $ 100 bucks a ticket. Sure I want too hear deep cut's and they have played them. I do agree Dave needs too put in more time remembering his lyrics, but I won't give him shit for the shape his voice is in. If he could sing better he would. Why wouldn't he ? Unless it is just some easy solution like his monitors or something. Looks like they might as well stay home this year. Everyone here thinks it's over. Good ! When they have too play clubs again I will be the first one at the door. More room for me ! I hate arenas. I always said I don't want VH to go much longer than 5-6 more years because their history is the great American party band.( At least with Dave ) And being 65 and doing that seems silly too me. Maybe they are already there ?

One wouldn't think if anyone from the VH organization read this stuff (and they do) that they'd feel encouraged to do anything else...no.... few fans at his own site. There's some constructive criticism to be gleaned from this, sure - but you're dead on in that a bunch of it is people haranguing about stupid shit.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I'm kinda thinking the band should pack it in...or maybe a better way of putting it (because who am I to say a band should pack it in if others still want to see them), is that I'm thinking I should pack it in re: my interest in seeing the band live.

I've never really had a problem with Dave's stage act today vs. CVH in their prime regarding the physical aspects and theatrics. Probably because I've seen Roth live a bunch of times since 1999 and have become used to his waning abilities - all the kung fu gymnastics and whatnot. With the last tour, the condition of his voice and the vocal choices he was making just weren't all that great to listen to. So now he can't move like he used to, and he can't sing well: so what am I paying $100+ a pop for tickets to see, exactly? Is this some kind of 'rock legends premium' I'm expected to pay just for the honor of seeing him?

Like, 2008 with the condition Ed was in, that left a bad taste to the point where seeing them in 2012 was almost a given. And Ed redeemed himself. Dave in 2008 was great, but in 2012, well, to be frank the rest of the band carried him. All of that contributed to a general feeling I got that while I was glad to have seen the band on both of their reunion tours it was almost in spite of what Ed 2008/ Dave 2012 brought to the stage. Neither tour has left me with a sense that seeing the band in the future is somehow a crucial thing for me...or a given. They're perhaps a bit too old now with not enough juice left in the tank to really do the tunes justice anymore. It's just life, you know? People get older. I would agree it's silly to lament the band for not being able to play with the fury they had thirty years ago, but the music still moves me because exactly BECAUSE it was played with that fury.

Whatever. Best of luck to 'em whatever happens.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Terry - there would be nothing dishonourable in them calling it quits at some stage in the very near future.

In fact, for any band, it would be wise to quit before you were forced to quit.

Rock'n'roll has always been a young man's game - but as long as the Stones keep going, it opens up the possibility for all of those who follow. The Van Halens and Dave are approximately 10 years the Stones' junior. They opened for the Stones at the Louisiana Superdome in July 1978, on one of their first forays outside of Southern California. Back then people were saying the Stones were old men past their best. I think Mick and Keith would have been a sprightly 34-years old at the time! Things change.

In my estimation, as a live act, the Stones ten years ago - never mind NOW - were beyond being interesting. But I think, as with Van Halen, there is still the extra little thing of being there adding a lot to the experience (as opposed to picking over the performances on cell-phone videos).

For the Stones, the tickets kept selling because the were the 'greatest rock'n'roll band in the world' and, who knows, it would always be the last show whenever you saw them anytime in the last 20-odd years. For VH, it is similar now - in terms of American rock music they occupy an echelon along with the Doors, Aerosmith, and not may others, as one of the greatest-ever American rock bands from that 60s-70s era.

But one day, and it won't be long, that's not going to keep selling tickets. On the basis of ADKOT, I think they could still keep making good albums, but touring is a different matter.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow, Terry!

Outstanding post, as usual
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    PICKin it back up tonight at Tokyo Dome. #vanhalen #eddievanhalen #tourdates #rockmusic pic.twitter.com/Tkej4d5YbI— Eddie Van Halen (@eddievanhalen) June 21, 2013
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    Terry - there would be nothing dishonourable in them calling it quits at some stage in the very near future.

Rock'n'roll has always been a young man's game - but as long as the Stones keep going, it opens up the possibility for all of those who follow. The Van Halens and Dave are approximately 10 years the Stones' junior. They opened for the Stones at the Louisiana Superdome in July 1978, on one of their first forays outside of Southern California. Back then people were saying the Stones were old men past their best. I think Mick and Keith would have been a sprightly 34-years old at the time! Things change.

In my estimation, as a live act, the Stones ten years ago - never mind NOW - were beyond being interesting. But I think, as with Van Halen, there is still the extra little thing of being there adding a lot to the experience (as opposed to picking over the performances on cell-phone videos).

For the Stones, the tickets kept selling because the were the 'greatest rock'n'roll band in the world' and, who knows, it would always be the last show whenever you saw them anytime in the last 20-odd years. For VH, it is similar now - in terms of American rock music they occupy an echelon along with the Doors, Aerosmith, and not may others, as one of the greatest-ever American rock bands from that 60s-70s era.

But one day, and it won't be long, that's not going to keep selling tickets. On the basis of ADKOT, I think they could still keep making good albums, but touring is a different matter.
    The Rolling Stones may be more of a yardstick now for other rock bands in terms of what is acceptable re:age and financial viability. In other words, if the Stones are still getting up onstage and doing it at their age, it's okay for other bands to keep going as well. I understand that. With most rock bands, what else are they gonna do? And if the demand is still there, why shouldn't these bands keep performing?

I guess part of it depends on what the band is and the style of music they play. Put it this way: couple of years ago I went and saw Neil Diamond in concert. Now, even though Neil Diamond is older than dirt, he put on a great show. Sang all the tunes in their original key, did roughly two hours, played all the hits. It's because Neil Diamond's music and image weren't based on youthful exuberance and a rock and roll party lifestyle that he's able to perform at his age and not look silly doing it.

Van Halen ain't Neil Diamond.

I think The Rolling Stones have gotten more points for existing in the last 25 years than anything they've done musically. And you may well be right in that they keep selling out stadiums in part because some feel every show is potentially the band's last. Van Halen is in the same boat to a degree, being that in many ways it's just sheer luck as much as anything else that Van Halen are even functioning as a band AT ALL these days. I liked ADKOT, but Van Halen is starting to slip into that Rolling Stones realm where with what they're doing live these days, I'm giving them more points for existing than for anything of particular note happening at the shows.

To put it even more into perspective, when I saw the Shine A Light movie several years back, Richards was displaying some real shitty, slipshod guitar playing and Jagger was opting for lazy live vocal shortcuts that have crept into his in concert style since 1981. Now, none of that negates the great music they've made in the past, but just because Richards is a legendary (former) junkie bad boy icon and Jagger is a 'living legend', these things don't elevate a mundane performance. It comes down to how many concessions I'm willing to grant a band for advancing age in order to experience a bit of nostalgia. I'm kinda reaching the point where if a band can't do it as well as they used to, my feeling is fuck 'em for continuing to do it and charging outlandish ticket prices, to boot. Just because masses of people are willing to pay $600 a ticket to see the Stones live doesn't make it a show that's actually worth $600 to see, if that makes any sense.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    squirrel!!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post

But there is a pretty nice gaping hole in your logic.

FOR MOST YOUNG PEOPLE, ROCK N' ROLL DOES NOT FUCKING EXIST ANYMORE. Wolfgang Van Halen and Andy Biersack, who is two years my senior is the are the only real young people who know how to rock. I would rather have the 2013 versions of VH, KISS and the Stones than a world without rock music.
    How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fuck ELVIS for poisoning the Roth Army against Roth.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fraroc View Post
    You can't blame E for people giving their opinions about Tuesday's performance lol!

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You can't blame E for people giving their opinions about Tuesday's performance lol!
    no?

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    no?
    No, you have to blame WARF. Geez, don't you guys know anything?

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No, you have to blame WARF. Geez, don't you guys know anything?
    not enough to talk to igo about tampons...

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    not enough to talk to igo about tampons...
    Tampons, Liza Minnelli dance moves, it's all the same.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    we are still maintainin' hope for kickass shows at the festival and fair tho, right?

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    FOR MOST YOUNG PEOPLE, ROCK N' ROLL DOES NOT FUCKING EXIST ANYMORE. Wolfgang Van Halen and Andy Biersack, who is two years my senior is the are the only real young people who know how to rock. I would rather have the 2013 versions of VH, KISS and the Stones than a world without rock music.
    I can agree with that to a certain extent....

My youngest boy turns 20 in a few months, and he listens to just about every genre of music....

BUT, with the exception of maybe Linkin Park, all of the Rock music he listens to is from my era.....

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    we are still maintainin' hope for kickass shows at the festival and fair tho, right?
    Why not?

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's the stupidest comment I've ever read in my life!

ELVIS doesn't have mind control over his audience like Alex Jones does lol....

You're reading too far into things...

You almost sliced your wrists over a false jackyl rumor....

Van Halen accomplished everything they needed to do in their career, the only thing left is bringin' back Mike...

You got the bootlegs, 7 great albums... people get old it's just a part of life....

Dave made a great run, but Eddie Van Halen was ten years too late bringin' back Dave to blow our minds for a live concert... but hey... at least we got one more classic album.

That's good enough for me...

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You got the bootlegs, 7 great albums...
    And the dancing. Don't forget the dancing.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Lets ponder this actually happening and then tell me VH today sucks.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairwrning View Post
    Lets ponder this actually happening and then tell me VH today sucks.
    Eddie's favorite version of Van Halen!!

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And the dancing. Don't forget the dancing.

I can't watch this Liberace shit! It's embarrassing! The sliding around and the jazz hands shit is gay as fuck!
    The Roth Show and interviews are superior to anything you're gonna see live on stage from the band. I can't watch this crap, or that horrible song about his plastic chair... Bring back Mikey for one show, or I don't give a shit anymore! I think it's important to remember the legend of DLR from 78-91 and from 98-02.... those were his best years. Van Halen put out their best album since 1984. There is just that last piece of the reunion puzzle. I don't think Ed will do that for the fans, he's never given us what we wanted and when he gave us Roth it was a decade too late. So that's it fellas... Give us a studio album, or a Mikey reunion... but I could care less about watching any live performances if DLR is just going through the motions.
    Last edited by WARF; 06-20-2013 at 11:22 PM.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can't watch this Liberace shit! It's embarrassing! The sliding around and the jazz hands shit is gay as fuck!
    The Roth Show and interviews are superior to anything you're gonna see live on stage from the band. I can't watch this crap, or that horrible song about his plastic chair... Bring back Mikey for one show, or I don't give a shit anymore! I think it's important to remember the legend of DLR from 78-91 and from 98-02.... those were his best years. Van Halen put out their best album since 1984. There is just that last piece of the reunion puzzle. I don't think Ed will do that for the fans, he's never given us what we wanted and when he gave us Roth it was a decade too late. So that's it fellas... Give us a studio album, or a Mikey reunion... but I could care less about watching any live performances if DLR is just going through the motions.
    c'mon, leave the chair song alone...

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    c'mon, leave the chair song alone...
    Come on dude! Dave can't go out like that man! The Thermo Plastic chair song or whatever the fuck it's called was pretty horrible.

Plus he stole that concept from Depeche Mode enjoy the silence!

Let's roll on to the sidewalk and take a look yes!

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And Enjoy The Silence from Depeche Mode....

Same fucking video!!!

Play them at the same time and see for yourself!
    Last edited by WARF; 06-21-2013 at 12:13 AM.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I didn't watch the dp vid, do they walk their dogs too? anyway, HE ain't "goin' out" anytime soon. the current version of "our favorite band", maybe so.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I didn't watch the dp vid, do they walk their dogs too? anyway, HE ain't "goin' out" anytime soon. the current version of "our favorite band", maybe so.
    Depeche Mode "Enjoy The Silence" and "Plastic Thermo Faggot Chair" are the same video, play them at the same time! The only thing that's missing is the dog, and the lame burger king suit.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    I'm kinda baffled by the discussion, although it's nice to see this kind of discussion again without the vitriol....

But I gotta ask, what are you actually expecting from a 58-year old frontman?

Sure, Dave's still in phenomenal shape even for someone fucking 15 years younger than 58, but he's still 58 !!

A handful of kicks that barely reach head-level now? Again, PHENOMENAL for his age, but I don't see that being such a big deal, honestly.....

The guy's smiling all the time as well....

I just think those that think he's bored or whatever need to take his (their) age into account more than they are....
    And Dave sang better, no karate kicks, no sword act, no gigantic tattoo...why? Probably we will never know.

I want to thank Cato for recording and filming the Nagoya show, when it was forbidden, he sacrificed his own enjoyment to share it with us.
    And I´m glad he did so, Dave is at an age that many musicians, performers, actors already have died...that would have been quite a different story.

Incredibly in a few hours, Van Halen is going to play at Tokio, I´m very happy for the japanese Van Halen fans !!

Thread Information