X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nitro Express
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
    If Adolf had stopped after the Autobahn and the Volkswagen, he might have been remembered as one of the greatest innovators of the 20th Century. Unfortunately he had to throw in that whole "let's execute 12 million people in concentration camps and try to invade the whole fucking planet" thing.
    When Adolf couldn't get into art school he should have gone into the automobile business. The man really did have a talent there. He wasn't so good at taking over the world. He had a great military machine financed by bankers like grand daddy Bush and great generals, micromanaged his way to failure. If he would have just stuck to cars and transportation, he would have done better.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Ferdinand Porsche designed the Beetle, not Adolph....

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Hitler used mind control to make Porsche do it...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Well, he must have had some serious powers because Porsche designed a lot of weapons for the Third Reich, including a version of the Tiger tank that was rejected and later used as a chassis for a giant tank destroyer called the Elefant...

The military version of the Beetle was known as the Kubelwagen (later the civilian version was called "The Thing") and was the German counterpart to the US Jeep...

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

The coolest military derivative of the beetle was the Schwimvagen. Looking at the YouTube videos it looks like quite a few in Europe have been restored.

I saw a thing parked along the side of the road with a For Sale sign on it. The guy wanted too much money for it thinking it was more collectable than it really was.
            Last edited by Nitro Express; 06-24-2012, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
              Ferdinand Porsche designed the Beetle, not Adolph....
              Porsche was the engineer but Hitler wanted the car streamlined like a beetle and the original drawing Hitler hashed out still exists. Hitler was who designed the program that made the Volkswagen. The car had to travel 80 miles an hour, hold two adults and five children, and be manufactured at a maximum cost of 1000 marks. It was the Work for Joy program and you got a book and you bought stamps for five marks and when you filled the book with stamps you went and picked up your new car. Of course the war got in the way of that and nobody got their car. Hitler built the largest car plant in the world in Wolfsburg. It's still there. He chose the location and it turned out to be a good one with it's access to the railroad and canal system. Some say Porsche just copied the Tatra which was a streamlined rear engined air cooled car.

Streamlined cars were all the rage in that part of Europe in the 30's. It could be Hitler was just following the trend and Porsche made it happen but really that design of car was done by Tatra first.
              Last edited by Nitro Express; 06-24-2012, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• FORD
                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                Here's one for you. Mormon temple marriages are not legally recognized by the state.
                Technically speaking, NO religious marriage is. The only thing that is recognized by the state is a piece of paper with signatures on it. One of which may very well be the minister who performed the ceremony. But it's still that piece of paper which makes it official, and not the ritual played out before God, and all your family and friends.

And that's exactly how it should be. Separation of church and state - which Thomas Jefferson AND Jesus Christ both preached about - is the answer here. And because of that, churches have no right to say who can and can not get a marriage license. And the state has no right to tell a church/synagogue/mosque/coven/etc what kind of religious ceremony they can perform (as long as it isn't something otherwise illegal like human sacrifice or some fucking weird thing like that)
                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• qikgts
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Jan 2012

Porsche was the engineer but Hitler wanted the car streamlined like a beetle and the original drawing Hitler hashed out still exists. Hitler was who designed the program that made the Volkswagen. The car had to travel 80 miles an hour, hold two adults and five children, and be manufactured at a maximum cost of 1000 marks. It was the Work for Joy program and you got a book and you bought stamps for five marks and when you filled the book with stamps you went and picked up your new car. Of course the war got in the way of that and nobody got their car. Hitler built the largest car plant in the world in Wolfsburg. It's still there. He chose the location and it turned out to be a good one with it's access to the railroad and canal system. Some say Porsche just copied the Tatra which was a streamlined rear engined air cooled car.

Streamlined cars were all the rage in that part of Europe in the 30's. It could be Hitler was just following the trend and Porsche made it happen but really that design of car was done by Tatra first.
                  Great video! I had never seen or heard of a Tatra before this. Thanks for sharing it!

Pretty forward thinking in that car. As Jay points out, a lot of similarities to the Tucker. I dig that air cooled, Hemi headed V8!
                  Last edited by qikgts; 06-25-2012, 03:22 PM.
                  You're gonna hear the angels sing...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                    Technically speaking, NO religious marriage is. The only thing that is recognized by the state is a piece of paper with signatures on it. One of which may very well be the minister who performed the ceremony. But it's still that piece of paper which makes it official, and not the ritual played out before God, and all your family and friends.

And that's exactly how it should be. Separation of church and state - which Thomas Jefferson AND Jesus Christ both preached about - is the answer here. And because of that, churches have no right to say who can and can not get a marriage license. And the state has no right to tell a church/synagogue/mosque/coven/etc what kind of religious ceremony they can perform (as long as it isn't something otherwise illegal like human sacrifice or some fucking weird thing like that)
                    Exactly. You buy the license and then have the documents notorized so your partner can visit you in the hospital, take care of your affairs as a family member and get half your gross assets when you get divorced. The church can sprinkle all the extra hocus pocus on it. The government is suppossed to stay out of that anyways, they just need to make sure it's legal and the joined partners have legal rights in the union as dictated by the law.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by qikgts
                      Great video! I had never seen or heard of a Tatra before this. Thanks for sharing it!

Pretty forward thinking in that car. As Jay points out, a lot of similarities to the Tucker. I dig that air cooled, Hemi headed V8!
                      I never cared for Jay as a late night talk show host but when it comes to cars he knows his shit and really has an interesting collection of cars. What I like about Jay is he restores them to drivable condition and drives them. Yeah you take a risk of getting in an accident but machinery is so much better to see and hear it running than just sitting static. It is amazing how advanced some of the old cars really were for their time. I actually ordered the book on Tatras. It's an interesting read if you are into that sort of thing.

Comment

• qikgts
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jan 2012

I never cared for Jay as a late night talk show host but when it comes to cars he knows his shit and really has an interesting collection of cars. What I like about Jay is he restores them to drivable condition and drives them. Yeah you take a risk of getting in an accident but machinery is so much better to see and hear it running than just sitting static. It is amazing how advanced some of the old cars really were for their time. I actually ordered the book on Tatras. It's an interesting read if you are into that sort of thing.
                        I admire what he does too. Have you seen that massive steam engine he has that's right out of the industrial revolution? IIRC it has a massive belt and flywheel set up on it and runs smooth as silk. The video I saw showed all the plumbing for it along with the huge water tank and boiler.

I'd love to check out his stuff in person. I wonder if there are any tours of his garage complex open to the public? The vids are cool though...
                        You're gonna hear the angels sing...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

• ashstralia
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Feb 2004

only a zombie apocalypse could possibly stop this.

Comment

Working...