X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DONNIEP
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by envy_me
    We barbecued couple of days ago, it took me few days to develop the pictures Anyway, veggie barbecue and some vino.
    With halloumi. I didn't like halloumi before, but suddenly I LOVE it, I am totally obsessed with it.

What's the round thing? Looks like a burned terd
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• envy_me
      Swedish Love Pump
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DONNIEP
      What's the round thing? Looks like a burned terd
      Yeah, I maneged to burn everything. It kept catching fire all the time. Well, it is quorn burger.
      The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

• DONNIEP
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

I've actually had some good veggie burgers - but yeah, you burned the piss out of yours It just takes practice.
        American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• envy_me
          Swedish Love Pump
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DONNIEP
          I've actually had some good veggie burgers - but yeah, you burned the piss out of yours It just takes practice.
          Haha, I am the WORST cook ever. I screw up everything. And I am not exaggerating. But I was supposed to do this with my family, but one after one they all left me, and I got stuck doing this alone.

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Biggest mistake most people make when Bar-B-Queuing or grilling as we call it in the South is having their fire too hot and the meat or whatever too close to the fire.

If your grill can be adjusted you want about 4-6 inches above your fire.

For gas grills fire up all burners for about 5-10 minutes, then reduce to low and wait about 5-10 minutes before putting the food on. Usually best to have a burner or two off so you can move meats to a cooler place when flame ups occur. Charcoal make sure it's fully ashed over and build the fire to one side leaving a cooler side to move stuff during flame ups.

Flip, rotate, and shuffle things around frequently to ensure even cooking. If you can't avoid flame ups... keep a spray bottle handy with water in it... or splashing a little beer on it will settle a fire down and kick your marinade up a bit.

Remember your goal is to achieve the correct/desired doneness with a little charing on the outside... you're not there to burn the shit out of it. Note for beef you want the internal temperature about 145F for medium rare up to 165-170F for well. Chicken/Turkey about 165-170F.

An open flame runs about 1000-2000F and non-flaming charcoal runs about 750-850F... the point is a little fire goes a long way to cooking something through less than 200F internal temperature. I've seen people load up a standard Weber grill full of charcoal 3-4 inches deep and wonder why they burn the shit out stuff... I'd use a pile about 8-12 inches around and 4-6 inches tall... start it then spread it on one half of the burning area and it's plenty to cook 2-5 lbs of meat. Just take your time, have a beer, wine whatever and enjoy cookin out doors...

If you still can't master the fire... go spend $20 on a digital wireless thermometer and take all the guess work out of it...

If you didn't notice I love Bar-B-Q!!!
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• envy_me
              Swedish Love Pump
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Dec 2010

We usually never do it. My grandfather used to put fish on grill. So, we have my mom who for some unknown reason refuses to use lighter fluid. My dad refuses to use briquettes... And then you have me who just want to do it like all other, normal people. Our BBQ ends up being a mix of all these different "rules" that each of us have.

Now to the concrete problem this particular day. I got in there some briquettes and they kept getting cold, so my solution was (when everyone abandoned me) was to drop oil on them just to keep some heat. Well, that caused the flames to burn all my food. How do I keep them hot without dropping oil on them?

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Make sure you have good air flow to the fire... usually that means cleaning out ashes and grease build up in the bottom where the fire is. Make sure the vents near the fire are open. If the fire gets too hot... partially closing the vent will bring it down. If you do have to add something to get your fire back up... remove the food temporarily until it's under control.

Comment

• envy_me
                  Swedish Love Pump
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Dec 2010

This is my grill.

I don't think I have any vents on it.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

From the picture it looks like some small vent holes in the bottom of it. Make sure they are not blocked.

This is what my smoker looks like...

For quick stuff like burgers, chicken or steaks... I have a CharBroil 4 burner propane grill.

Comment

• envy_me
                      Swedish Love Pump
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                      From the picture it looks like some small vent holes in the bottom of it. Make sure they are not blocked.

This is what my smoker looks like...

For quick stuff like burgers, chicken or steaks... I have a CharBroil 4 burner propane grill.

DAMN! That's huge! And you're doing it with real wood.

Comment

• envy_me
                        Swedish Love Pump
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Dec 2010

Cooked brussel sprouts, salted and seasoned with olive oil. And feta cheese.

I took a pic for you guys but I can't upload it, the site where I upload isn't working right now.
                        Last edited by envy_me; 09-15-2012, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by envy_me
                          DAMN! That's huge! And you're doing it with real wood.
                          Hmmm... how to respond...

I always do it with real wood...

Comment

• Angel
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

Nice smoker, Zah.
                            "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I'm going to eat Buffalo Wings and watch football:

Comment

• envy_me
                                Swedish Love Pump
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Dec 2010

Haha, I meant you don't use briquettes Not to continue on this but I heard that briquettes last longer then the real wood. You have a large grill, I have the most tiny thing, I need it to last.

Comment

Working...