Thread: There is something missing in the stage act

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    We share that...
    Good for you! You're smart and funny too...you've got it all!
    Same ole song and dance...

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Swedish Love Pump ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Girl View Post
    That's hardly his usual attire...just an affectation.

I don't know too many old men that look or behave like this...

YUM!
    Thats what i'm talking about. Jaw-dropping!
    The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    DLR to the wooz: "You're gonna have to drop your jaw to fit it all in, honey sugar."

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    shoo be boppa got lost in a jetstream.

i want some too!!

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't consider the overalls/cap "old man" clothes. Probably because I know a young cattle rancher out here that dresses like that, lol.
    "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's hardly his usual attire...just an affectation.

I don't know too many old men that look or behave like this...

YUM!
    That's 56?! If I didn't know any better I'd say he's in his mid 40s in this pic!

Hey, as long as Dave remains young at heart, he could be doing high kicks at 66!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not many old men look and behave like this.........

Watch throu 1.22 when Dave shows his tattoo !!!

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by envy_me View Post
    It's not black or white. There is a whole spectrum of grey in between. There are a million different styles in between "trying desperatelly to look young" and "old".
    like, more than 50 shades?
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    nah, only 50 shades.
    dammit, didn't see it. atta boy...

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Yount View Post
    DLR to the wooz: "You're gonna have to drop your jaw to fit it all in, honey sugar."
    What is wooz?

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    Are you trying to pick a fight

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A portion of the high energy bombast that made CVH the top of the rock heap in the early 1980s is no longer to be found in the stage act.

Partly a function of aging...perhaps also the result of having long ago scaled to the top of the heap.

Back in the late 1970s/early 1980s, Van Halen were climbing the ladder, and expending the energy necessary to make that a successful effort.

Now, it's 30+ years later. Also, the musical climate has changed (not for the better, far as I'm concerned). All the folks who were teens back when CVH ruled are now pushing forty...or fifty...Van Halen probably isn't gonna make a new album that is gonna sell millions of records within the initial year(s) of being released. A large chunk of the physical prowess that defined their stage act is now gone forever (never mind Roth; it ain't like we're gonna see Eddie doing his Pete Townshend-style jump shots much more either).

I'm not sure if it's really useful to lament what the band is today vs. what they were three decades ago yet continue to see their shows. There are very, very few bands that reached their highwater mark when they were in their twenties and can keep that energy level up in their fifties. Be it tuning down to accomodate aging vocal cords, rearranging some songs and even dropping some songs altogether because (not talking just Van Halen, here) because the passage of time has rendered the members incapable of doing them justice, adding additional musicians/backing vocalists onstage...showmanship standards of youth just become harder to replicate as time goes on.

When I go to a Van Halen show now, I'm really going to celebrate what the band has already accomplished years ago. Yeah, ADKOT was a really good album (actually far better than I thought they were capable of), but had the band not played a single tune off it live I wouldn't have been all that upset. It's just a chance to see them get up there once again and breathe some life into all those timeless classic rock tunes they came up with. I mean, I haven't been too complimentary about how Roth performed this last go-around, but if I step back and look at it from a wider perspective, in some ways it's pretty amazing they were able to pull their shit together as well as they have.

For me, the key to enjoying what the band is today is to dig what they are, rather than grouse about what they no longer are. Realistically, one would be forgiven for assuming Van Halen as an active live and recording unit probably have more yesterdays behind them than they have tomorrows in front of them. That part of the tour had to be postponed because the band booked more than they were physically able to handle is an indication of this.

After all the years of being pissed off at the brothers, rolling my eyes at some of Roth's career decisions and getting irked at some of the idiotic bullshit that came out of Hagar's mouth, as a fan I just wanna put all of that in the past and enjoy what time the band has left...and enjoy the music. Because that's what got me hooked on Van Halen in the first place. When CVH was around, there wasn't a lot of talk about anything beyond how bitchin' the music was, how bitchin' the band was, what a great frontman Roth was and what a phenominal guitar player Eddie was. Then Roth left and for twenty-odd years the focus shifted at times to speculation of the backstage soap opera dramatics.

Now Roth is back. There's some new music and the band is playing well. Yeah, it's a bummer that it took so long to happen (ten years too long), but better fucking late than never. I mean, for me even a slightly diminished Van Halen (long as Dave is in it) is still miles beyond what most other bands are capable of doing.
    Last edited by Terry; 07-28-2012 at 11:42 PM.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    A portion of the high energy bombast that made CVH the top of the rock heap in the early 1980s is no longer to be found in the stage act.

Partly a function of aging...perhaps also the result of having long ago scaled to the top of the heap.

Back in the late 1970s/early 1980s, Van Halen were climbing the ladder, and expending the energy necessary to make that a successful effort.

Now, it's 30+ years later. Also, the musical climate has changed (not for the better, far as I'm concerned). All the folks who were teens back when CVH ruled are now pushing forty...or fifty...Van Halen probably isn't gonna make a new album that is gonna sell millions of records within the initial year(s) of being released. A large chunk of the physical prowess that defined their stage act is now gone forever (never mind Roth; it ain't like we're gonna see Eddie doing his Pete Townshend-style jump shots much more either).

I'm not sure if it's really useful to lament what the band is today vs. what they were three decades ago yet continue to see their shows. There are very, very few bands that reached their highwater mark when they were in their twenties and can keep that energy level up in their fifties. Be it tuning down to accomodate aging vocal cords, rearranging some songs and even dropping some songs altogether because (not talking just Van Halen, here) because the passage of time has rendered the members incapable of doing them justice, adding additional musicians/backing vocalists onstage...showmanship standards of youth just become harder to replicate as time goes on.

When I go to a Van Halen show now, I'm really going to celebrate what the band has already accomplished years ago. Yeah, ADKOT was a really good album (actually far better than I thought they were capable of), but had the band not played a single tune off it live I wouldn't have been all that upset. It's just a chance to see them get up there once again and breathe some life into all those timeless classic rock tunes they came up with. I mean, I haven't been too complimentary about how Roth performed this last go-around, but if I step back and look at it from a wider perspective, in some ways it's pretty amazing they were able to pull their shit together as well as they have.

For me, the key to enjoying what the band is today is to dig what they are, rather than grouse about what they no longer are. Realistically, one would be forgiven for assuming Van Halen as an active live and recording unit probably have more yesterdays behind them than they have tomorrows in front of them. That part of the tour had to be postponed because the band booked more than they were physically able to handle is an indication of this.

After all the years of being pissed off at the brothers, rolling my eyes at some of Roth's career decisions and getting irked at some of the idiotic bullshit that came out of Hagar's mouth, as a fan I just wanna put all of that in the past and enjoy what time the band has left...and enjoy the music. Because that's what got me hooked on Van Halen in the first place. When CVH was around, there wasn't a lot of talk about anything beyond how bitchin' the music was, how bitchin' the band was, what a great frontman Roth was and what a phenominal guitar player Eddie was. Then Roth left and for twenty-odd years the focus shifted at times to speculation of the backstage soap opera dramatics.

Now Roth is back. There's some new music and the band is playing well. Yeah, it's a bummer that it took so long to happen (ten years too long), but better fucking late than never. I mean, for me even a slightly diminished Van Halen (long as Dave is in it) is still miles beyond what most other bands are capable of doing.
    Great words, Terry !!!!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh geez... now you've gone and done it... Please don't feed the animals!!
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was going to post something, but then Terry did.
    Twistin' by the pool.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just be glad THIS was missing after the Cafe Wha? show:

I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ALMOSTsaved View Post
    Just be glad THIS was missing after the Cafe Wha? show:

No shit!!!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    For me, the key to enjoying what the band is today is to dig what they are, rather than grouse about what they no longer are. After all the years of being pissed off at the brothers, rolling my eyes at some of Roth's career decisions and getting irked at some of the idiotic bullshit that came out of Hagar's mouth, as a fan I just wanna put all of that in the past and enjoy what time the band has left...and enjoy the music.
    Exactly. I agree with your post and the part I quoted is the essence for me. And frankly, it could be worse- Dave's vocals could be at a "Percy" Plant level (who for me has been off vocally since at least the early 90s) or Ed and Al could have gone on tour as "Van Halen" like Daltrey and Townsend are touring as "The Who".

Just out of curiosity, what letter grade would you give to Dave for the last tour, taking all aspects of live Dave in to consideration?

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Envy, you'll understand when you're closer to 50. Us old people aren't sexy, plain and simple.
    Speak for yourself!!!!!

Oh dear.

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible shoes View Post
    speak for yourself!!!!!
    lmao!!!

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave will be 60 in October...

Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SLAUGHTER MAN View Post
    Dave was born 10/10/54, which will make him 58.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Where did ya pick that up ?
    Hot dog and a shake

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What's missing is the quest to explorer new territory and hunger. Young bands are hungry and on the rampage. They are on fire. After they have been there done that for a few years they lose it.

Van Halen now is concentrating on doing a good show instead of going on a rampage. Also what is missing is taking it to the edge loaded on cocain.

What you are missing is the bad boy full of cocain and monkey hour madness taking it right to the edge.

What you seek is here so I post it for you. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 08-04-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There's nothin worse than being 50-something and having some math challenged knucklehead push you prematurely to 60... knock it off!!

58 is the correct answer...

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave is going to be 57 in October, he was born in 55' not 52'
    How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fraroc View Post
    Dave is going to be 57 in October, he was born in 55' not 52'
    That's up for debate. Some say '55, some say '54. Can't remember what he said in his book....

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    That's up for debate. Some say '55, some say '54. Can't remember what he said in his book....
    In his book he says 10/10/54. I always wondered where people got the '55 from - I've seen it on websites and in other books...??
    Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by katina View Post
    Not many old men look and behave like this.........

Watch throu 1.22 when Dave shows his tattoo !!!
    Thanks for that katina - what a way to start my day! And Dave's is the only 57-year-old ass I'd like to see Definitely yum!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Momshell View Post
    Thanks for that katina - what a way to start my day! And Dave's is the only 57-year-old ass I'd like to see Definitely yum!
    I´m glad you liked it Momshell

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    At my age Dave was still jumping off the drum riser once a night.

I now find myself making a little groaning sound when I get out of a comfy chair.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I now find myself making a little groaning sound when I get out of a comfy chair.
    LOL. I hear ya. I've even heard myself groaning sitting down.

#gettingoldsux

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TJUi...e_gdata_player
    Now that's a stage show. Especially within the first minute.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    Exactly. I agree with your post and the part I quoted is the essence for me. And frankly, it could be worse- Dave's vocals could be at a "Percy" Plant level (who for me has been off vocally since at least the early 90s) or Ed and Al could have gone on tour as "Van Halen" like Daltrey and Townsend are touring as "The Who".

Just out of curiosity, what letter grade would you give to Dave for the last tour, taking all aspects of live Dave in to consideration?
    I'd give Dave a B-/C+ for the ADKOT tour.

The headset was ridiculous, the slip 'n slide center stage mat antics were overdone, entire verses were 'forgotten' (I thought Dave had put that aspect of his performance behind him on the 2007/2008 tour) and Roth chose to sing far too many verses in a strained octave that didn't sound good rather than as originally recorded.

Glad to say Ed's playing on the ADKOT tour and the excellent performances from all the Van Halens onstage made up for Dave's shortcomings.

I kinda wrote off the 2008 Tampa show failings as a result of Ed's deteriorated condition (that he was having problems with his hands was clear, but he was also clearly drunk) rather than rationalize that the band was simply getting too old to serve it up well. Mostly because 5 years ago Roth was very focused and approached that tour with something to prove: you could tell Roth was putting out a lot of effort.

The ADKOT tour was the first time I thought Dave might be getting too old to do the tunes justice, but I think if Dave just sang the tunes properly (assuming that's still within his capability to do so, and not just something he's opting not to do) the band may still have some touring juice left. At least, enough juice to get me to see them again.

But Van Halen live now and going forward ain't gonna throw off that furious intensity of the early 1980s. They don't have enough juice in the tank for that. The best one can hope for are well-rehearsed shows executed with a degree of competence and professionalism, where they play the tunes the way they were meant to be played (and sing 'em the way they were meant to be sung).

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post

Yeah, I don't think Dave's voice in relation to CVH is quite where Plant's is in relation to Led Zep yet, but Van Halen live are being pretty selective (much like Led Zep was at the 02 2008 show) in terms of what songs they play live, and most of this I have to believe stems from wanting to do tunes that Roth / Plant can still sing well.

Unlike Led Zep 2008, Van Halen doesn't have to tune down to the point where the songs don't really sound like the recorded versions.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'd give Dave a B-/C+ for the ADKOT tour.

The headset was ridiculous, the slip 'n slide center stage mat antics were overdone, entire verses were 'forgotten' (I thought Dave had put that aspect of his performance behind him on the 2007/2008 tour) and Roth chose to sing far too many verses in a strained octave that didn't sound good rather than as originally recorded.

Glad to say Ed's playing on the ADKOT tour and the excellent performances from all the Van Halens onstage made up for Dave's shortcomings.

I kinda wrote off the 2008 Tampa show failings as a result of Ed's deteriorated condition (that he was having problems with his hands was clear, but he was also clearly drunk) rather than rationalize that the band was simply getting too old to serve it up well. Mostly because 5 years ago Roth was very focused and approached that tour with something to prove: you could tell Roth was putting out a lot of effort.

The ADKOT tour was the first time I thought Dave might be getting too old to do the tunes justice, but I think if Dave just sang the tunes properly (assuming that's still within his capability to do so, and not just something he's opting not to do) the band may still have some touring juice left. At least, enough juice to get me to see them again.

But Van Halen live now and going forward ain't gonna throw off that furious intensity of the early 1980s. They don't have enough juice in the tank for that. The best one can hope for are well-rehearsed shows executed with a degree of competence and professionalism, where they play the tunes the way they were meant to be played (and sing 'em the way they were meant to be sung).
    That grade is fair. It's clear to me that Dave was particularly motivated on the 07-08 tour. He finally got what he'd been whining about for almost 20 years - getting back in VH - and he knew it was put up or shut up time. And he delivered. I've never heard or read about what Dave did to prepare for that tour, but for the '12 tour, he either didn't put in that level of preparation, his voice degraded, or some measure of both. Honestly, it seemed like more of an effort thing to me. I say that because when he seemed to put effort in to singing the songs correctly, i.e., no shouted vocals, unnecessary higher registers, or lyrical butcherings, he typical sounded pretty good. Not 07-08 good, but still reasonably good.

I said it in another thread, but Dave really is the linchpin going forward, live at least. If he loses the dance floor and gets as close as he can to 07-08 form, they'll be good (this assumes that the VHs will stay at the level they've been at).

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think going forward, songs will have to be constructed to maximize where Dave is vocally these days. IF they want to perform them live. Fuck all the pro tools shit. Fuck all the fake shit. I am sick of all that shit in the music business. If you can't do it in the studio without machines, don't do it. If you can't reproduce it somewhat respectful of the way you did it in the studio, don't do it. Of course, this does nothing for the way Dave chooses to perform the classics live. I say "chooses" because we saw one extreme to the other from the Australia stuff to the Japan and Wisconsin stuff. Dave is choosing to butcher some of these songs. The proof is in the difference in performance from one show to the other.

John 5 and Ray both told me Dave sounds amazing on the album he has done with John 5. They both told me I will not believe how good these songs are, and both said they have no doubt I will love the album as much as they do. But, as John 5 told me, this album is more along the lines of "Could This Be Magic" type of stuff. Which I am totally psyched about, because WACF probably beats out Fair Warning by a small margin as my favorite VH album.

At this point in my over the top obsession with this band, I really don't care if they perform live again. I've said it even before the last couple of tours. If they'd just give me an official DVD of the US Festival, I can sit in my living room and jizz all over myself reliving that era until my hearts content. That's what I'd rather have and do, at this juncture.

My only fear is, Ed would over think it. All he has to do is take the video, and throw it on a DVD. Leave the mistakes in! That's Van Halen! The ones that left blatant mistakes on albums back in the day! Just throw it on a fucking Blu-Ray and sit back and watch the bank account rise!

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I actually do not think Dave is done vocally due to age. He was better in 13 than 12 but a long way off from 07/08.
    I am a minority but I do not think it is age. Physically something is up with him, when he is not pill rolling and not freezing under 100 degree lights he sounds much improved. He is a bad winner and clearly started the 2012 endzone dancing with the headset etc... Get him focussed on proving something and better controlled with whatever medical issue he deals with and getting close to 07/08 I believe is actually still possible. He hits the notes he can't control or stay loose which is causing him into bad habits of forcing which creates the infamous high Dave voice with no sustain. If age he just would not be able to hit them at all, he can but 07/08 he had control. He needs control physically.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As much as Could This Be Magic? is/was an interesting change of pace for VH, I never much cared for it through the years. However, it has grown on me more recently. Perhaps, it's a style more befitting to a man with less than a year to go for the big 6-0. I hope like hell that John 5 collaboration doesn't remain held up for much longer.

Thread Information