Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: There is something missing in the stage act

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The whole thing sounds exciting , just don't see it coming out while Dave is still in the van halen camp
    fuck your fucking framing

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    The whole thing sounds exciting , just don't see it coming out while Dave is still in the van halen camp
    is he?
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    True .

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So what are you suggesting, Terry? Parkinson's? ALS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh dear.

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensible Shoes View Post
    So what are you suggesting, Terry? Parkinson's? ALS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've been saying Parkinson's for the last two years. The pill rolling does it for me. That was one of my husband's first symptoms.
    "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just read an interview Robin Zander. Get a load of what the guy said to him...

CJ: Sure it is. I started this piece off by noting that I have been following you since I was a teenager and that in that 30 some years, I have never EVER seen a photo of you where you dont look absolutely fucking 100 percent rockstar cool. You just turned 61 what, last week? You looked more like your kid's brother last night than his Dad. How do you do it and can you share whatever your secret is with David Lee Roth, please?

RZ: (laughs) That's evil! (laughs) I don't know what to say about that. I'm part American Indian you know... that probably has a lot to do with it.

Crazy and yet... can somebody get Dave Robin's phone number?

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    I've been saying Parkinson's for the last two years. The pill rolling does it for me. That was one of my husband's first symptoms.
    I remember when Lou pin pointed a clip of that symptom shortly after you mentioning it. Probably on the early pages of this thread. This is the one of the most important fan opinion threads at this site. I'm glad it keeps popping up from time to time.

Spotlight, asshole !
    Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by envy_me View Post
    And even if some the old men are thin and fit, and haven't decayed totally, many of them still adapt the old-men-behavior. That is why I am so bothered by Daves old guy hat and pants. If anybody he could pull of looking young if he just got rid of old men behavior and accessories.
    Some of the videos of David just out running his dogs - with a ball cap, sunglasses, shortish hair and the sexy goatee - he looks damn fine in those.

Spotlight, asshole !
    Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That 1981 video is amazing. And yes, David and Edward = Commando. Always.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pill rolling doesn't always point to something like Parkinsons or a Parkonsonian-like tremor like Ozzy has. Doing some research, it's also a side effect to certain kinds of drugs. I'm not saying that Dave is a full blown junkie or anything, but it could be very possible that he is a drug-dependent.
    How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I believe Angel is correct or in the neighborhood. That and similar conditions when they are not controlled also impact the ability regulate temperature and dry mouth. Best shows, open shirt no scarf, no lemons, worse shows several layers, no sweat, and a lemon every song. Explains a lot, blower rant wasn't schtick

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I honestly hope he's not dying

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Mmmmmm I don't like this line of conversation to be honest .
    My bro who is a medical professional and has experience in this particular field watched the acoustic video that came out with the adkot cd and he made some pretty unpleasant comments about Dave's movements on the video .

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I am honestly really worried for him right now. We haven't heard from him since New Years.

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fraroc View Post
    Pill rolling doesn't always point to something like Parkinsons or a Parkonsonian-like tremor like Ozzy has. Doing some research, it's also a side effect to certain kinds of drugs. I'm not saying that Dave is a full blown junkie or anything, but it could be very possible that he is a drug-dependent.
    Pill rolling was what first grabbed my attention, but it's not the only symptom he displays...

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Never was View Post
    I believe Angel is correct or in the neighborhood. That and similar conditions when they are not controlled also impact the ability regulate temperature and dry mouth. Best shows, open shirt no scarf, no lemons, worse shows several layers, no sweat, and a lemon every song. Explains a lot, blower rant wasn't schtick
    And those were some of the others...

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    My bro who is a medical professional and has experience in this particular field watched the acoustic video that came out with the adkot cd and he made some pretty unpleasant comments about Dave's movements on the video .
    I don't have a problem with D-Ro aging - in fact I think he carries himself better than most rockers his age - but it would be a cruel twist of fate to see someone so outgoing (not always publicaly, but we know he keeps busy doing whatever interests him in the moment) brought down by Parkinson's. I hope it's just Dave being Dave, but you would think his mannerisms would be slowing down as he ages, not speeding up.

Damn this is a depressing topic. It's Friday night, let's watch Largo and have some buds!
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Let me guess...the word "dyskinesia" (sp?) came up?

I'm not a professional by any means, but I did a hell of a lot of research through the years after my ex was diagnosed. He has Parkinson's Plus and he didn't just gradually get symptoms. His hit "overnight" after an extremely stressful period. Couldn't talk, breathe, walk, etc. Lost 45 lbs in 6 weeks.

Once you've gone through that hell, you can spot a symptom 5 miles away.

Fuck, should've multi-quoted. Fraroc, Parkinson's does not kill you. Complications from...down the road....

And we're all dieing...
    Last edited by Angel; 01-31-2014 at 05:50 PM.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    I don't have a problem with D-Ro aging - in fact I think he carries himself better than most rockers his age - but it would be a cruel twist of fate to see someone so outgoing (not always publicaly, but we know he keeps busy doing whatever interests him in the moment) brought down by Parkinson's. I hope it's just Dave being Dave, but you would think his mannerisms would be slowing down as he ages, not speeding up.

Damn this is a depressing topic. It's Friday night, let's watch Largo and have some buds!
    People with Parkinsons if their symptoms are managed can live full lives. It's not considered to be a death sentence anymore. However, if that is the case that D-Ro has the beginnings of Parkinsons...Is Dave being conscientious or oblivious to his condition?....being oblivious could cost him his life

I also have been hearing on other VH message boards the possibility of late-onset Tourretes syndrome.
    Last edited by fraroc; 01-31-2014 at 05:52 PM.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Man it's depressing , I suggest we all go see if we can put a dent in our own stockpile of whatever ever floats our boat .

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    People with Parkinsons if their symptoms are managed can live full lives. It's not considered to be a death sentence anymore. However, if that is the case that D-Ro has the beginnings of Parkinsons...Is Dave being conscientious or oblivious to his condition?....being oblivious could cost him his life
    My ex has been managing his with weed quite well. Staying active helps A LOT. The side effects from the L-dopa meds are often worse than the symptoms of the disease. That's what M. Foxes "jerky spine" movements are caused by, and why my ex switched to weed. Plus it only works for about 5 years.

I'm sure he's on top of it At least enough to stick his hand in his pocket during the end of tour announcement video.
    Last edited by Angel; 01-31-2014 at 05:57 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just listened to a fairly recent interview of Dave and he admitted he's in constant pain. Usually a person who makes a living doing extreme movements for a living pays the price later. Then you might have injuries or arthritis and things. But it sounded like Dave has a lot of pain to fight through all the time. Not uncommon for people past 60. I think the guy works his ass off and some nights he's good other nights he's way off.

I've lost interest. I wish the guy well. He's been entertaining but if I want to go to sleep I will put a current VH concert on. I think they are getting close to the point where they should just hang it up. Val said the only reason Ed is even doing it is to play on stage with Wolfie. She said Ed was ready to hang it up.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It just seems that there has been so much bad luck in the Van Halen camp lately...

2004: Eddie is a full blown alcoholic and almost dies from it
    2007: Eddie still is an alcoholic and almost blows the entire reunion tour
    2012: Eddie is sober and healthy for the most part, but gets an attack of diverticulitis which would have killed him had he not had the operation.
    2014: The possibility of Dave having the beginning symptoms of a neurological disease like Parkinson's

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm amazed they are all still alive. All of them including Mike were major party animals for years. Lot's of booze, cigarettes, and blow has a detrimental effect on your older years. A lot of blow use causes heart problems. I mean it's Van Halen. They burned the candle at both ends for years. Ed is alive due to modern medicine. Apparently he's in a better marriage now and he looks happy. I think he was a miserable fuck for years being married to Val coping with drugs and booze. When she left him the man went over the edge. He gets a new woman and he's all smiles.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And yet Keith Richards still walks the earth. Can't forget Ozzy. I doubt any of these guys thought about what drugs, drink and partying would do to them 20-30 yrs. down the line. Live fast die young...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I certainly can understand why everyone is so passionate about the topic, lord knows that we wouldn't be here nearly every day for the last 15 years, not to mention the time and money spent on this band....

But I find all of this entire speculation extremely irresponsible....

That's all I wanted to say....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    I certainly can understand why everyone is so passionate about the topic, lord knows that we wouldn't be here nearly every day for the last 15 years, not to mention the time and money spent on this band....

But I find all of this entire speculation extremely irresponsible....

That's all I wanted to say....
    Is it that bad that we're concerned about Dave's health? He's lived an amazing 58 years and even if he's not preforming with Van Halen I want to see him live a healthy remainder of his life.....If it is true that he does have Parkinsons or MS, It's going to kill me so much to see David Lee Roth, someone I idolized since I was seven years old, someone who was a living God to me, die a wheelchair-bound invalid who can't walk, talk, go to the bathroom or eat without help WHAT KIND OF FUCKING LIFE IS THAT?!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Is it that bad that we're concerned about Dave's health? He's lived an amazing 58 years and even if he's not preforming with Van Halen I want to see him live a healthy remainder of his life.....If it is true that he does have Parkinsons or MS, It's going to kill me so much to see David Lee Roth, someone I idolized since I was seven years old, someone who was a living God to me, die a wheelchair-bound invalid who can't walk, talk, go to the bathroom or eat without help WHAT KIND OF FUCKING LIFE IS THAT?!
    1) It's an amazing 59 years, he turns 60 in October.

2) Of course it's not bad that you're concerned with his, or anyone else's health. But what you're doing is 100% speculation, and speculating about a person's health, particularly on a message board dedicated to him, is IMO very irresponsible.

What would you say if some rag-tag rock website picks up on this thread and starts posting articles like "Does David Lee Roth Have Parkinson's?". Next thing you know, it's all over the Internet (you KNOW it will), and the next thing you know WE (collectively) look like shit.....

This, after DLR himself gave us exclusive videos and show passes.

Like I said, I admire the passion towards his health, but this is dangerous territory....

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I just listened to a fairly recent interview of Dave and he admitted he's in constant pain. Usually a person who makes a living doing extreme movements for a living pays the price later. Then you might have injuries or arthritis and things. But it sounded like Dave has a lot of pain to fight through all the time. Not uncommon for people past 60. I think the guy works his ass off and some nights he's good other nights he's way off.

I've lost interest. I wish the guy well. He's been entertaining but if I want to go to sleep I will put a current VH concert on. I think they are getting close to the point where they should just hang it up. Val said the only reason Ed is even doing it is to play on stage with Wolfie. She said Ed was ready to hang it up.
    I think they can still make another good record - live shows?? Dunno - if it is something different like a Cafe Wha kind of scenario, then the age issues with Dave - or the issues with his voice / singing - just don't seem as apparent to me.

I have always thought - throughout all their success, etc - that VH were still essentially a bar band. I never, ever thought they were a 'stadium band' - they just don't have the right kind of material for those spaces. They can function in smaller performance environment quite naturally without it presenting any kind of impediment, or being any kind of comedown - let's face it, their set has always been comprised of short punchy songs etc. You could transport them back to 1962 and they'd be like the Beatles, a fucking bar band in some place like Hamburg. I'd still pay, and pay over the odds, to see them in that kind of environment.

But the stories of the last tour, with the trouble with the blowers, etc. You can see that Dave has some difficulty singing when he's chomping gum thru the whole set to avoid his mouth and throat drying out. You can even hear it and see it if you see him being interviewed when he is just talking - his breathing is kind of not under control and he often has to draw breath mid-sentence, or seems to be kind of swallowing mid-sentence. I have no idea what it is, but I'd guess that if you are a singer you need to be in control of your breathing.

I think the setting of the bigger arena shows is magnifying what we are thinking of as Dave's difficulties. Physicality was so much a part of what he was about back in the early days, and when you can't give that anymore ... well, maybe you just need a different kind of environment, where the expectation is not that you'll be the Dave of old, sailing through the air, etc.

Think of seeing the band in a club today, even as old guys ... there would be an excitement about it. I didn't see any shows on the last tour, but the best video I have seen from around the ADKOT release / tour was the Cafe Wha show. I think on the larger stages, with the video projection, and it all appearing on youtube, it is too easy to focus on negatives.

And maybe that is just something that happens to any bunch of guys who are about their ages and who are still playing what was - in its conception and original incarnation - energetic, young dudes', kick ass rock'n'roll.
    Last edited by VHscraps; 01-31-2014 at 10:52 PM.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    1) It's an amazing 59 years, he turns 60 in October.

2) Of course it's not bad that you're concerned with his, or anyone else's health. But what you're doing is 100% speculation, and speculating about a person's health, particularly on a message board dedicated to him, is IMO very irresponsible.

What would you say if some rag-tag rock website picks up on this thread and starts posting articles like "Does David Lee Roth Have Parkinson's?". Next thing you know, it's all over the Internet (you KNOW it will), and the next thing you know WE (collectively) look like shit.....

This, after DLR himself gave us exclusive videos and show passes.

Like I said, I admire the passion towards his health, but this is dangerous territory....
    I've seen it discussed elsewhere...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Hahahaha...

That made me laugh...

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpnk47 View Post
    And yet Keith Richards still walks the earth. Can't forget Ozzy. I doubt any of these guys thought about what drugs, drink and partying would do to them 20-30 yrs. down the line. Live fast die young...
    not to mention that guy...

Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    not to mention that guy...

And in recent news, it's still up in the air on whether or whether not he'll ever be able to tour again.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    I've seen it discussed elsewhere...

Makes it no less irresponsible IMO....

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And in recent news, it's still up in the air on whether or whether not he'll ever be able to tour again.
    the man is 68 and suffering from diabetes...68 is a hell of a number of years...I don't want to imagine dave in eight years pushing 70

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Makes it no less irresponsible IMO....
    Really???? But, I understand where you're coming from...

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I dont think Dave can be compared to Keith Richards or Ozzy in terms of abusing ones body. Its pretty well documented what those 2 guys put themselves through, Dave on the other hand talks a good game and would like people to believe he was cut from the same stock, but he's not in their league. Dave is a bullshit artist, he knows how to play the game.
    As far as the herky- jerkies, he always fidgeted and rambled and pill rolled, maybe he's just laying it on thicker now. If the word got out to the rest of the internet about the medical speculation from the RA diagnosticians here, the world probably would not be as devastated as you think.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave has a disease... it's called cocaine addiction. Hey, do what you want with you're life, who am I to judge. You need a couple of bumps before going out in front of 20,000 fans I get it. But that 50 rides on the love train video or his press conference with Billy Joel and Aerosmith for that Austrailia show doesnt exactly scream Parkinson's Disease to me.He continues to live the rock star life and it shows in his voice. I hope they tour again and go to Mohegean Sun. I could use a weekend getaway. Rock on Diamond One !!!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    don't they play the Superbowl tonight?

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLeeNatra View Post
    the man is 68 and suffering from diabetes...68 is a hell of a number of years...I don't want to imagine dave in eight years pushing 70
    He already looks 70. Alcohol, cocaine abuse and pussy wil make you like a dried up withered autumn leaf. Dave looks like absolute shit for a man pushing 60.

Thread Information